IMDb > Time of the Gypsies (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Dom za vesanje

Time of the Gypsies More at IMDbPro »Dom za vesanje (original title)

Page 7 of 29: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

"Time of the Gypsies" is a Great Film

Author: Almanac123
17 June 2014

"Time of the Gypsies" is a very effective film for a young person. It deals with the harsh reality that young people go through in life. Perhan has to deal with a difficult family life. His parent's aren't around. He's being raised by his Gypsy grandmother along with his younger sister. He has an uncle that the family can not trust. The uncle helps destroy their home. Perhan is given a turkey that he cares for. The uncle boils the turkey. Perhan is a also in love with a girl that the uncle ends up sleeping with. The girl becomes pregnant and Perhan suspects that the child is his uncle's. These are the kinds of issues that could trouble a young person. Young love can be a tough situation. The ability to trust someone is tested when young people fall in love. Perhan is unable to trust the older generation because they keep doing bad things to him. When his sister gets sick, the grandma has an idea to send them away. Even though the grandmother is the moral center of Perhan's life, her idea causes trouble for Perhan. It's Perhan's absence that leads to the girl sleeping with the uncle. Although he doesn't blame his grandmother, he could have. Perhan gets involved with the older Ahmed. Ahmed lies to Perhan about building him a house and taking care of his sister. It's another example of the older generation mistreating the younger. Young people often wish they had special powers. Perhan has a telekinetic power. He uses the power to get revenge on Ahmed and his henchmen. It's a young person's fantasy. However things take a turn for the worst. Perhan is shot and dies. The lesson is that even young people aren't invincible. Young people should know that they won't live forever and could even be killed at a young age. Perhan does not become part of the older generation. Instead he stayed a young man all his life. There's a dark theme that the older generation couldn't even give Perhan is own adult life. They mistreat him leading all the way to his own death at a young age. "Time of the Gypsies" has the theme that young people are not immortal. Perhan should of let his anger and emotions go and he would of still been alive. Young people can be stubborn and often pay the price for it. He's not able to experience the things that older people go through such as marriage and parenthood. Yet he was so close to experiencing those things. It's tragic. His young bride dies earlier giving birth. She's another example of tragic youth. There's a "Romeo and Juliet" influence over their love story. "Romeo and Juliet" is another tragic love story about young people and how the older generation attempts to control them. They both die in a tragic way. They aren't able to see their future together and they die young. It's very similar to what happens in "Time of the Gypsies".

how to live

Author: sun_fengya from United States
17 June 2014

When we are young, we are carefree, snuggling with someone who loves each other, but we do not have courage insist this relationship, we migrate to other places to find wealth and opportunity. When we come back with full if sweat of gold and silver, we could not find lover's chastity. We do not choose to be tolerant an forgive them, we no longer believe anybody because we are cheated---even suspect object is our love of the life. Over the year, we understand our stupid mistakes and finally want to come back to hug warm, but we do not learn to forget the pain and do not want to start new happy life, but to start a journey of revenge. Although the last we really fly up as if to see the heaven, actually to have a emotional hug with death. As we always do not understand what is the most important in our life, in many moments we need to make a choice, or forced or ignorant or paranoid or reckless or crazy, we always choose the lighter side. Luckily, it is just a film, a story, but when we use the balance to measure our own life, do we really know what is important?

A Magical Reality

Author: briannadevons from United States
17 June 2014

In tough times, people often resort to their imagination in order to cope with the hardships of life. When cinema fuses together imagination with reality into one entity, magical realism is achieved. No other film implements magical realism as well as "Time of the Gypsies". As we are taken on a journey through the lives of a Gypsy family living in rural Yugoslavia, ghostly turkey's, floating veils, levitating brides, and deadly spoons become part of their everyday life and the audience accepts these unnatural occurrences as true. As the film is spoken in the Gypsy language of Romany, this film is a true depiction of what it is like living amongst the Gypsies.

A solid film with dashing Magical Reailsm.

Author: Mike Perry (mrdeffydeff) from Los Angeles
17 June 2014

When my film professor told my class a basic synopsis of this film before showing it to us, I had questioned the amount of interest that it could possibly hold. Fortunately, I was in for quite the surprise. The Time of the Gypsies held with it a heart-warming hometown story, a dark and ominous tale of toil, and a magical sprinkling that defied reality. The trials that the main character, Perhan, had to experience - from the suicide attempts, to the human trafficking, to the rescue of his family and revenge of his enemy - were all told with intriguing points of view through the framing of shots, and the not so perfect edits. These imperfections, in particular, are what I liked so much in the film. They go to show the imperfections of its characters, bringing together a solid production. 85.3% would definitely recommend :)

Perhan, and his small family live in a village in former Yugoslavia. A trip to the city with his sister becomes a nightmare.

Author: paolaxsanchez13 from United States
17 June 2014

Once Perhan takes on the journey with his sister and leaves his home town, he enters the real world. He goes through the journey of loss of innocence. He witnesses many things such as rape, lying, cheating, extortion This clip begins in the the windy setting of former Yugoslavia. The young girl in a wedding dress complaining and following the man whom ruined her marriage in the beginning of the film represents the cycle of life. At the end of the film there's is a different young girl in a wedding dress who complains and pursues Perhan until she kills him with a gun. Leaving his home town made him grow fast making him a complete dynamic character. he starts out as an innocent grandmas boy and turns into a liar and extortionist himself. This is shown when he comes back to town and is a drinker, smoker, and even wants to sell off his baby once its born. In the beginning he demonstrated that he hated being a bastard, and in the end his son becomes a bastard due to Perhans own actions.

Social functions of magical realism

Author: pierreschlum from United States
17 June 2014

Kusturica's combination of concrete settings in this film--the Romanian language being spoken, the socioeconomic problems being addressed and so forth--with the unmistakable magical realism--Perhan's telekinetic powers, the almost-intellectual turkey, and the lake-wedding-- exposes the viewer to the elusive reality present within the rural society of what used to be Yugoslavia.

In this time of turmoil, I believe the director was trying to show the viewer that reality was constantly changing, creating a sense of disillusion, which itself is comparable to the intangible identity of the people in the film.

*Gobble, Gobble*

Author: Morgan Sawyer from Santa Monica, CA United States
17 June 2014

Get ready to fall in love with the Gypsies. This incredible work of art details the humbling life of a young boy named Perhan. Equipped with telekinetic powers and possibly jedi-esque mind control, Perhan charms the audience with his Harry Potter like features and fogged glasses. This coming of age tale shows Gypsy life at its very core; the wild cultural practices and odd mannerisms of an entire race of Romany speaking Gypsies. The music and chants that play throughout this movie will be stuck in your head for weeks, they are beautiful and yet at the same time, positively haunting. I believe that much of Looper, starring Joseph Gordon Levitt and Bruce Willis got its inspiration from this film. Perhan would be considered a "TK freak" in Looper, coupled with the innate drive for wealth and material possessions make this film a direct parallel to Looper, just without the time travel. Perhan is a character that will stay with you for the rest of your life. You will love him, and you will hate him, but at the end of this film you will be left with tears in your eyes and an unhinged jaw.

Perhan's plight as a resolution of the oedipus complex

Author: silvana gonzalez from United States
17 June 2014

I see the journey of the protagonist as the culmination of the Edipic Complex. If we take into account the numerous similarities between Azra and Perhan's mother (for example the veil she uses, her innocence, the fact that she gave birth to a bastard son (at the end her kid was never recognized by Perhan, nor by his uncle), one with powers, and died in child labor); and the fact that the protagonist was raised by the mother figure of his grandma but always praised the innocence and kindness of Azra, characteristics kids associate with their respective mother, reinforces the connection between both Perhan's mom and Azra. We should now turn to Ahmed, the antagonist character in the film that nevertheless becomes a father figure to Perhan, the one he admires, aspires to become, and even fight for his affection (prior to discovering the lies he had told him regarding his sister and home). All in all he is the paternal figure the protagonist was so desperately in need for. In the narrative of the film, he and Azra marry, and he kills Ahmed using his telekinetic powers. Which, given the pararels I referred to previously, reminds us of the completition of the Oedipus complex: he ultimately ended up marrying his mother, and killing his father. This interesting parallelism makes me think of the need we all have for unconditional love (so often associated with the mother figure), and reassuring love that comes from a parental figure. A cyclical need, just as the Oedipus complex is thought of by many psychologists when stating that this complex is re-lived and re-solved in the adolescent years (and then lived through when one becomes a parent by the fact that the new members of your family would be facing this stage in their lives), that is in tune with the cyclical aspect of this film (as evidenced by the opening and closing scenes of the movie both being a wedding, by the always present father-less child, and the continuum poverty and love issues that hunts humanity).

Best Foreign Film

Author: Anastasiia Podrez from United States
16 June 2014

"Time of the Gypsies" is such a breathtaking movie. You are taken by another world (world of Gypsies and magic) and it is not letting you go. This movie grabs your guts, and in some scenes brings tears to your eyes. The most inspirational and moving foreign film I've seen, definitely a masterpiece. All the characters are very intriguing: Perhan, who goes from good to bad and then, possibly, to good again; Astra, who has sinned yet repents; Damira, who from a little insecure girl transforms into a caring and strong woman; Grandma, who is seen to be the moral center of the story but also makes decisions that dramatically change other characters' lives for the worst. We empathize with Perhan throughout his journey. Even though he has those magical telekinetic powers we treat them in a perfectly natural way. The romantic story between Perhan and Astra makes us very emotional, and it also contrasts with the cruelty of the world the characters are living in. The movie is cyclical: many times we see the same stories with different characters; all characters are connected in various unusual ways. Emir Kusturica's directing choices are very precise; however, all movie is ambiguous, especially the ending. That is the kind of movie that leaves you hanging until the end… An absolute must watch for those who like "City of God" or "Slumdog Millionaire".

A great coming of age story

Author: alexxavier913 from United States
16 June 2014

This film was very entertaining to watch. The storyline follows the protagonist who lives with his grandmother, sister and uncle in a gypsy village. There is a lot of magical realism in the movie. The protagonist's grandmother posses great healing powers that she uses to make money. The protagonist Perhan has inherited his grandmothers magic, but does not cultivate his gifts. The story continues as Perhan journey's to find medical attention for his sister, but on the way he becomes involved with some very shady characters. I really enjoyed this film because it deals a lot with the idea of predestination, ethics, and the struggle to survive that we all face in life.