IMDb > Time of the Gypsies (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Dom za vesanje

Time of the Gypsies More at IMDbPro »Dom za vesanje (original title)

Page 11 of 29: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Perhan = Us

Author: acevedo_jessica_bern from United States
4 June 2012

I appreciate Kusturica adding a human characteristic to the gypsies. It know only depicts the daily life of a specific culture but tells us how life can change due to one simple decision. In this case, Perhan, the good boy turns into a bad boy. It is easy to categorize the good and the bad, but yet, what about the shades of gray? The scene of the train, where Perhan has finally found his sister and son but leaves them, shows how one, as soon has something we have been looking for, are not satisfied. Even though, we are not gypsies or have gone through what Perhan has gone through, we are able to mirror ourselves in him. The film gives insight to the fact of a cycle. The movie doesn't really end, rather pauses and foreshadows a similar story. In today's society, crime, war, racism, betrayal...are things that don't end. The key is how we deal with them. Do we avoid them or confront them like Perhan with the risk of dying while trying?

nice and sad

Author: parinaz-afrashteh from United States
4 June 2012

this movie is a bout a boy with ability to move the objects with out touching them. he is from a poor family with a sister who is disable from legs. This movie is about The poor and people who try to make money in any way.It's about struggling to make money and a good life for your self. and as you see in this movie Perhan try to make a life for him self his family and the girl that he is in love with but everything goes bad and eventually he try to get revenge and that leads to his own death.there are lots of sad scenes of children who are begging for money. and the movie shows the situation of that days.and how a counrty boy grow and become a man in this situation.the sound track is really good.

Thoughts on this film

Author: Josh Mac (joshua-macalinao) from United States
4 June 2012

This film made me think of the harsh realities of life when we make the transition from adolescences into adulthood. To me It exemplifies the quintessential "rags to riches" story whose plot goes full circle, and ends with similar circumstances as the beginning of the film. The story also included many of the ups and downs that go with the roller coaster of life, that everybody experiences on a daily basis; but in Perhan's case the downs are much worse then what most people experience. Emotionally the film made me feel sorry for Perhan because he was an outcast among the outcasts. Since Perhan was an outsider among his own he always needed to prove himself more then most, and all the different downfalls that occur in Perhans life ultimately lead to his early death. Since most of the film Perhan is away from his hometown I got his sense of his home sickness for his grandmother, Azra, Danira, and all the things he was accustomed to. Eventually when he does make it back home you realize he has matured into someone completely different, and I felt sorry for his grandmother when she sees him for the first time since he left because she does not like the person Perhan has become.

"Time of the Gypsies" The same repetition of Life.

Author: Carlos Mendez (filming4change@gmail.com) from United States
4 June 2012

The "Time Of the Gypsies" a movie to which you can only truly admire from point A to Point B, meaning that you must pay attention to the transition that falls into place with actor Davor Dujmovic (Perhan). The film touches upon elements of love, passion, hate, mishap, misguides in directionality. The director Emir Kusturice did a great job using all aspects of the environment from where the film was shot in; many natural elements were introduced in the film; such as, the acting that took place in the rain, and the use of the wind to introduce the mother of Perhan and his sister. These Natural elements gave the film a higher intensity of realism to the film; therefore, making the viewer connect to the story in a more naturalistic sense. A good use of Magical realism is touched upon in the film giving it a unique aspect of supernatural activity that helped the film take hold of the viewers from the very beginning and also helping it tie together many pieces of the storyline. A pet turkey obeying orders from his owner in this case Perhan; never had I seen anything like it presented itself very nicely; it created a connection of friendship between both Perhan and his pet turkey. I recommend this movie to those whom enjoy watching foreign attributes of life in general, this type of film helps people understand and take hold of this idea that we are all the same, and no matter how different our norms can be; life presents itself to us with the power to create our own destiny. POV: Highly addicting from beginning to end .!!

A voice to the Gypsies

Author: Signe Elvin-Nowak from United States
4 June 2012

Time of the Gypsies is another moving film that tells the untold story of the gypsies in Yugoslavia , focusing on the young boy Perhan. The character Perhans apparently warm heart and kind spirit immediately captures the attention of the reader and these qualities are why we are interested in following him on his journey to protect his family and become good enough for the woman he love. Throughout the movie Perhan changes and in the end we are not sure who he is anymore or where his morality went, even though we are still able to understand most of his choices. The movie draw us into a bad circle showing us that crime always lead to crime, and hate will only give birth to more hate. Despite this fact it is in many ways a story of hope, and a story about how a man actually can change his fate. The acing is outstanding and so is the way the movie is shot, in a very realistic way that by the way completely makes us forget the magical elements like the fact that Perhan can levitate things. Overall it is a great, very moving and engaging film that gives a voice to the Gypsies that otherwise might not always get heard.

A Coming of Age Story.... With a Turkey

Author: Dillon Ross from United States
2 June 2012

Definitely considered a very different movie compared to the usual things you may have seen. Something that was very interesting for me was seeing the culture and life of gypsies. I love movies from a characters view and a story where a man really goes through hell and back. It had a lot of good laughs and a lot of deep scenes. Like i said its not your conventional movie, if you lucky enough to find it i think it is definitely worth that 2 dollars at your local goodwill VHS section. In all seriousness now, this movie brings realization to a culture that seems overlooked completely and a culture where you think of things like poor and homeless and shows the heritage of a great culture. Really opened my eyes and made me realize kinda to get closer to my family. Keep your love ones close kinda deal. As much as this movie is "heart-breaking" is equal to how much it is "heart-warming".

Time of the Gypsies

Author: Freddy Mendez from United States
1 June 2012

The first few minutes of the film are relatively dull, but intriguing. Later on in the film, the prologue seems to make more sense. This is definitely a film that plays with your visual imagination, very culturally rich and captivating scenes, the music in this movie seems to sync perfectly and add that magical element to it, and at times seem almost hypnotic, especially during a wedding scene on a river in the first part of the movie, as well as a scene where there is levitation during a birth sequence. I am extremely disappointed this film is very difficult to find, and more so that I have not even heard about it, until very recently. To me it is one of the few films, that is very hard to categorize into one genre, as it touched the whole gamut of genres from comedy to drama to romance. Highly recommend anyone interested in foreign films with quality, to look for it, it's well worth it!

Struggle, Transformation, Irony

Author: Jimmy Nguyen from United States
1 June 2012

Though it is a bit slow at first, one will eventually be consumed by the story. The main character experiences a major transformation from "grandma's boy" to a mid-grade crook. It is interesting to see how hardships leave possibilities for great change, even if they are not for the best. What really bothered me most about the movie was two things: 1. His disrespect towards his wife 2. Practically abandoning his child I think the theme of this movie, or at least one of them, is that revenge is not the way; especially for those who still have loved ones who they could or are leaving behind. Is it really worth it? Was he really trying to prevent his family from future harassment? Or was it a matter of pride? I suppose that is up to the individual to decide. Either way, pretty good movie with a splash of magical realism that adds symbolism to the film.

Time of The Gipsys

Author: ropkee from United States
31 May 2012

"Time of The Gipsys" was one of the most engaging movies I have seen this year. The story begins with a young boy named Perhan, whose story and character gradually shifts through out the film.

First of all I could mention that I am familiar with the culture and people that are involved in this film. In my country, same as in many European countries we have Gipsys living in exactly same conditions as shown in the film. On one hand you feel sorry for the people and their terrible economical situation, but on the other hand you see them robbing people, selling drugs and doing any other crimes. This movie is exactly about that.

After Perhan left his village, I realized that most likely he will join the gangsters that he is traveling with. Unfortunately that happened in the film. Actor that played Perhan delivered amazing performance, with shifting character that involved me in the story deeper and deeper. In the middle of the movie I couldn't take my eyes of because actions and decisions that he was making were so unexpected. Although their economical situation and harsh life, Gipsys enjoy their lives probably more than we do.

Finally I would love to mention that this movie made me even more aware of the hard but on the other hand amazingly amusing life that Gipsys live. Sometimes you can feel angry because of the crimes they commit, but at the same time you realize that the life they live is not always as amusing as we see through out the film.

Impressively Impressive

Author: blythejulian from United States
31 May 2012

The movie Time of The Gypsies follows a boy named Perhan through his life as he travels from one place to another, to make money for his family, but also grow into a man. The movie takes some time to introduce Perhan, but when you first meet him, the plot slowly stops orbiting him and begins to follow him, almost literally. The cinematography was excellent, and provided a lot of emotion that boiled out in scenes by itself. The movie also never really goes out of bounds from how unrealistic it is. Even though some scenes have a bit of magical realism in them, the scenes are never ostentatious. A good movie and definitely worth watching if you want to learn more about gypsy life.