IMDb > Dad (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Dad More at IMDbPro »

Very emotional

Author: mike (casey_choas66@hotmail.com) from walkerton
8 July 2002

This movie hits, it hits very hard. No one is let off easy in this film about an old man (played to perfection by Jack Lemmon) who has his wife do everything for him. BUt his wife has a heart attack and is put in the hospital. His son (Ted Danson) has to return home to take care of his father. What comes from there is an adventure that will warm you heart as fast as it will break it. Jack Lemmon is very believeable as the father that you will believe that he actually is 85 years old and Ten Danson has never been better in a film. This film devlves into hard topics such as divorce, marraige and family relationships and none of these subjects are delt with lightly and is sure to bring a tear to the eye of everyone whether you can realte to these characters or not.

Solid Story-Telling.

Author: tfrizzell from United States
6 July 2002

Genuine tear-jerker that has the elderly Olympia Dukakis falling ill and leaving husband Jack Lemmon in limbo. Dukakis has done all the work in the relationship and Lemmon is helpless, plain and simple. Son Ted Danson comes to the rescue though and Dukakis starts to recover slowly. However trouble looms as Lemmon will be diagnosed with cancer and go into an emotional tail-spin that could kill him. A sappy screenplay works to near perfection here and steady direction helps the film's cause as well. Watch for a young Ethan Hawke as Lemmon's grandson. Heart-wrenching and heart-warming at the same time. 4 stars out of 5.

this remains a powerful film

Author: Brigid O Sullivan (wisewebwoman) from Toronto, Canada
9 November 2001

I think this is Jack Lemmon's greatest performance and the supporting cast are incredible, including Ted Danson who always appears to me to be slightly frenetic in a grim kind of way. Here he is truly believable and his scenes with his own son tug at your heart they are so real. No Hollywood quickfix here for the relationship, the boy is simply closer to his grandfather than he is to his own father and nothing will change that fact.

What I liked most about the film was that the theme in less worthy hands could have been made sloppily sentimental, but here it is totally restrained both in script and direction and it makes for a really meaningful movie. The characters remain real all the way through and the script does not transform them into wondrous saints by movie's end.

It is the wonderful understatement in it all that captivated me and made me weep at the end. Jack is truly unforgettable and Olympia magnificent in her dryness and cynicism. I have seen it 3 times and each time relished another scene a little more. This time around it was Jack dragging his wife around to meet the neighbours he was not even aware of before and her long suffering face at this new and reinvented Jack makes you laugh out loud. Bravo to all. An 8 1/2 out of 10. And that scene where they dance, oh me oh my......who needs naked bodies writhing on a bed, this has sensuousness, love and intimacy in it, the real kind. Oh for more of those scenes in movies!

It is incredible. Jack Lemmon was incredible.

Author: dazedcat from NYC
18 March 2002

I was riveted, absorbed, thinking of my family, but not depressed. I wish my dad had lived into old age and hadn't died so early. I thought the movie was magical in exploring how personal dreams and thoughts can keep us alive even when our regular lives are unsatisfying, like Dad's (Jack Lemmon's) fantasy life on the farm. I found myself understanding that I had done that too

A fantastic movie. Every person who is a member of a family will get something from this movie.

Most moving movie I have seen in years.

Author: eulonda (lon2233@aol.com) from california
3 December 1998

I am a Ted Danson fan. However until today, I have never seen the Movie" Dad ". I sat in my chair and could not get up to do anything. I could have put the movie on still, but I just could not tear myself away from it. It is warm, moving, realistic and Ted Danson and Jack Lemmon had me convinced that they were actually living their roles. It has been years since I cried at a movie, but this one, my tears flowed like a stream. I cannot say enough about it. This is the very first time, I ever went through any trouble to give my opinion about a movie or an actor. I felt I had to tell you how it affected me.

One of the best family films

Author: Paco Gonzalez from Spain
28 January 2006

Life is sometimes a hard thing. People must learn what is the most important thing in life. This film shows us how we must to face a critical situation. Perhaps when time is gone we try to recall that time too late. The family is the most important thing we have.

The Film : I think it's very crude and real. there are many old ones in abandonment situation and this film illustrates the necessary love for the greater ones of the family. Although TV is treated in format, the argument either is developed and distributed in the time with a crescendo of emotions very well displayed.

Jack Lemmon makes a magnificent work in Jake Tremont roll with such so pathetic depth that it seems real

Ted Danson is discovered like a good actor, not only for series of television, but also for cinema too. He plays more than credible son dedicated to his father treating to compensate the lack of affection felt in both directions in the past times

One of the best family drama.

Author: Hunky Stud
11 May 2004

This movie is very 80's like. It instantly brought me back to the good old 80's. This is really not a comedy, but a very serious family drama. Almost every movie came out from Hollywood is for profit only, this movie is very touching, and purely family oriented. I don't know how much it has made so far, but I doubt that it is a popular movie for the general public.

Having said that, I think that this movie has touched a very deep part of our lives. All of us have to face the fact that our parents are growing old, and one day they will leave us forever. It is quite emotional. How many of the people living in the USA now have the courage, time and money to actually live with their older parents till the day they apart.

This movie brought three generations all together, and showed us a well-done drama. It does not have a happy ending. However, it gives us a very realistic feeling that we all have or had to face.

So watch this movie when it is raining outside. I am sure that you can have a good cry.

Still remember the music and the scenes after all these years!

Author: FLY-9 from SF, USA
3 July 2000

I saw this movie when I was an undergraduate student. Man, this has to be one of the most touching movie that I have ever seen! Even after all these years, I could still vividly remember the scenes and the music. Especially the music theme is turly well-done (simple tune, but very emotional and powerful!) this movie is one of my all time fave!

Fantastic movie but a tear jerker.

Author: Jon_Tees from United States
19 June 2005

I'll just say that I recently saw this movie for the first time, and loved it. it's a little dated, but still good and the story overall is timeless as it relates to the love between fathers and their sons. I highly recommend checking it out. But be warned though it's a bit of a tear jerker, and also feels a little drawn out in certain areas. I give it a nine out of ten.

I particularly liked the ending where Ted Denson and his son make up and try and avoid the distance in relationship that Denson kind of had with his father played by Jack Lemmon. The cast all gives an amazing performance and I'm surprised this movie didn't make bigger waves when it initially came out its fantastic.

Sensational, true-life!

Author: bmelton (bmelton@homefusion.net)
3 January 2002

This movie was one of the most sensational drama movies I have ever seen. It is so true with real-life experiences, and it is sure to touch you emotionally. It is a story about how spending all of your life chasing the almighty $dollar$ and success can certainly have great drawbacks. It is a prime example of how success should not be determined by how much money you make, but by what you have to give up in order to achieve it. In this case, it was Ted Dansen's family that was given up. This movie can be related to on a personal level with almost anyone. It is certain to bring tears to your eyes, and make you want to pick up that phone...and make those calls you have put off for so long.