IMDb > Cousins (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Cousins

Cousins More at IMDbPro »

A moving story of second chances

Author: Merely from Brocktroit, Massatucky
1 February 1999

Watching this wonderful film will make you believe that true happiness is out there, somewhere.The romantic love that gives you butterflies in your tummy. You will laugh, cry and cheer. The casting is great and Lloyd Bridges gives a performance to remember him by. I found it overall entertaining and left me with a nice warm feeling (and a runny nose). Life should be so sweet.

A diamond in a rhinestone genre

Author: George Parker from Orange County, CA USA
9 June 2002

"Cousins", a pleasing knock-off of Oscar nominated French "Cousin, Cousine", tells of a man who has an affair with another woman while their partners are doing the same; concomitant relationships, one carnal and the other romantic. Full of quirky Euro-Am ethnic family members, this lively and sweet blast from the past is a light-hearted blend of sentimental, romantic, funny, and poignant moments well worth a first look or revisit.

Umpteen Weddings and... a wonderful little/big movie.

Author: Citymars from New York City
27 April 2002

I loved the 1975 French movie "Cousin, Cousine" (roughly pronounced 'koo-ZAN koo-ZEEN', for the non-francophiles). It was a very funny, very sexy and "tres French" movie.

So I rolled my eyes when I heard of this American remake, especially when I learned that Ted Danson would play the male lead. Nothing against Mr. Danson's abilities, but I assumed the casting of a television star -- "Cheers" was still going strong on NBC at the time -- meant that bigger names had identified this film as a stinker and were staying away.

I was happily surprised when this remake turned out to be as funny, warm and romantic (if a tad less sexy) than the original. In fact, it's nearly the same movie, and in this case that's a good thing. Thankfully Paramount didn't feel the need to alter too much.

Like "Four Weddings and a Funeral" (which came after), most of the action in this movie takes place at various ritual gatherings of family and friends. Danson and Isabella Rossellini play cousins by marriage who are each saddled with attractive but less than desirable mates: hilarious performances by Sean Young and William L. Petersen.

In fact, everyone is good in this movie. It should have led to better movie parts for Mr. Danson, but unfortunately it wasn't a financial success. Lloyd Bridges as a family patriarch is a revelation. Again, if the film had done better at the box office, he might have earned an academy award nomination.

"Cousins" is a large-cast movie that leaves one feeling good without ignoring the pain in life. It's "wedding as microcosm" and everyone has a part to play. It's unusual to see a movie with so many age groups represented, and everyone equal. It's not a teen film, but neither is it an anti-teen film. It's a film about the swirl of life. Babies are born, old people die, couples form and break-up... and all observed from a slightly removed point of view, so that we see ourselves and also see that we shouldn't always take ourselves too seriously.

Don't let your preconceptions keep you away from "Cousins." It's a wonderful little/big movie.

Cousins

Author: Tim Cox from Marietta, OH
20 July 1999

Well made American rendition of the 1975 French farce, "Cousin-cousine," with Danson and the enchanting Rosselini playing cousins by marriage who meet at a wedding, develop a relationship and then fall in love. Wonderful performances from Lloyd Bridges and Norma Alejandro help move this glorious film along that glows with humor, warmth and the sheer joy of life.

Don't know why, but one of my favorite movies.

Author: stolle-2
28 November 2000

I can't put my finger on it, but this is one of my favorite movies. Could be the music, could be the story, but most likely it is the wonderful character development. You know these people by the end of the movie. It is also much funnier than I expected. This movie really snuck up on me, which is probably why I enjoyed it so much. I had never heard of it when I first saw it and was therefore expecting nothing. So, I guess this commentary just doomed the movie to mediocrity for all those who see it for the first time after reading my opinion.

One of my all time favorites...

Author: Kilroy-17
25 January 2000

This picture has all the elements you need for a great romantic movie. Mostly it will make you laugh and tug at your heart strings.

You really start to feel for Larry (Danson) and Maria (Rossellini). Larry and his wife Tish (Young) care for each other but aren't in love, and Maria and her husband Tom (Petersen) seemed to be trapped together because they have a young daughter.

The story gets started when, at the wedding reception of Maria's mother Edie (Aleandro), Tish and Tom sneak off and fool around together. In the mean time back at the reception, Larry and Maria meet and begin talking, and when their spouses show up together, are both suspicious, but say nothing. Then, the next day, Maria goes to visit Larry to get his opinion of what happened the day before.

From there, we get to go on their journey as they become friends and then, more than friends. And there's quite a bit that will make you happy and sad along the way.

This is a great movie for a lazy Saturday afternoon...

Forget the French original. This is well crafted romantic fun

Author: Rod-54 from Canberra, Australia
26 November 1999

I am not a great lover of "art film" and I remember finding Cousin Cousine pleasant but very self-conscious and lacking credibility. This North American rewrite takes itself less seriously and is, to me at least, much more entertaining. The writing is good, the cinematography is good and the principals perform well. Of course, we begin with the ridiculous premise that the husband of the lovely Isabella Rosselini is a lecherous creep and that the more sympathetically portrayed wife of Ted Danson so insecure as to be attracted to him. But we get over this and enjoy the romp. Isabella is, to me at least, beautiful as ever and the supporting cast is terrific. Sean Young, Lloyd Bridges and Norma Aleandro are great but the quality extends all the way down to the short appearance by the plump lady who played the dancing teacher "Mrs Greenblat". This is a fun romantic comedy worth seeing.

A beautiful, gloriously romantic film

Author: J-Crew (jms7@po.cwru.edu)
13 January 2000

Schumacher has never made a better film; this one is filled with good humor and lovely dialogue, and filmed with great love at a variety of interesting locations. All four principal characters are well-played, with Rossellini a standout because of her character's lovable good nature. A real treat for lovers of comedy or romance, with a perfect, perfect ending.

This is my ALL-TIME favorite movie!!!

Author: dreba from Virginia, US
18 December 2006

You wouldn't think that Ted Danson would translate well to the big screen, but he is magical in the role of Larry Kozinski. Isabella Rossellini is her usual beautiful, understated, elegant self in the role of Maria. When the two are on screen together, the sparks fly. Sean Young, Norma Aleandro, Lloyd Bridges, Keith Coogan, and William Petersen round out an excellent ensemble. The real star of this picture is the soundtrack. Every time the theme song is played, I cry and cry. It is so beautiful. I could watch this movie every day and find something new every time I watch it. This movie is sly, sophisticated, funny, sad, and very, very real. If you haven't seen it yet, you have missed a gem. It is definitely a must-see.

Kudos to the director and screenwriter

Author: smyrna-3 from Atlanta
1 October 2002

I can't imagine why this movie has only received a rating of 6 in this database. If you read the comments, everyone liked it. There were so many neat little things going on it in I decided to look up both the director and screenwriter. I want to make sure I see more of their stuff.