IMDb > Communion (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Communion

Communion More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Rated R for "Rectal Probing"

Author: tom_spiers from Sydney, Australia
9 December 2001

As the credits rolled for Communion it instantly entered my top ten worst films ever.

Having read some of the other comments about this film it seems it actually makes sense to some people. Myself I spent the entire film waiting for some kind of continuity or sensibility to enter the picture and bring about closure of some sort, any sort! I waited in vain, instead at the end of the film we receive dreadful monologues by Walken and that appalling woman about the nature of the Universe and the feasibility/ possibility of extra terrestrial intelligence. Considering these were questions that were being asked almost at the beginning of the film the whole exercise has been a pointless one.

And a painful pointless exercise at that! Some of the other comments have alluded to the "Excellent" and "not at all hokey" special effects. These viewers must be suffering from severe eyeball removal. The effects were dreadful! Midgets in cheap latex suits with about two different mouth movements and dodgy looking eye blinks do not make me scared! Rubbery looking "Roswell" Aliens floating about on fishing wire being jiggled off screen by someone in a vain attempt to provide "articulation" do not make me cower in fear, rather they make me double over in bouts of painful laughter!

The whole premise seemed dreamt up by someone who lives a very comfortable life in New York and doesn't get out much. Considering the main character is a writer and the film was written and produced by the author of the book it was adapted from we can see where things started to go wrong. Comfortable New York apartments do not make good staging grounds for musings on the nature of the universe and the possibility of extra terrestrials. Could that "support group" have been made up of a more annoying and less theatrically gifted bunch of people? Does everyone in New York simply swan about to endless cocktail parties, children's nativity shows, mountain retreats etc? Where were the real people in this film??

And what was with that Kid!? Just how much pain did the filmmakers wish to inflict upon me? The dialogue that came out of that shiny-eyed little weirdo's mouth was so unrealistic it wasn't funny.

Avoid this film at all costs, or use to inflict pain on someone you dislike.

Bizarre

Author: burninblazes from New Jersey
12 August 2004

This is a very bizarre little movie in every way. I can't say it's particularly good or that scary, and it's rather boring in some parts. But, just for it's strangeness it's somewhat interesting. I read the book, and this movie is different in some ways (I don't remember any blue guys in the book, for example), which is odd because Strieber wrote the screenplay. But I think Strieber is probably full of crap, anyway. He's being "abducted" straight to the bank. He keeps "remembering" new wacked things every couple of years so he can put out a new book. The book, incidentally, is even crazier than the movie.

Anyway, watching these characters is like watching psychotic lunatics you don't know. Are they dangerous? What should you expect? What the hell are they going to do next? As for the aliens, they don't make that many appearances and when they do, the scenes are more bizarre-o than scary. Although the blue guys at the end did freak me out when they shot their hands out and freaky music played, but it was disturbing and irritating.

I don't recommend this film if you're looking for something scary, but if you're into UFO stuff you might want to have a look at it.

Good alien movie with Christopher Walken

Author: Movie Nuttball from U.S.A.
30 August 2003

Communion is a good alien movie that's based on a true story. Christopher Walken was very good. I don't want to get into the film much but I will say that the film can be quite scary sometimes especially with that haunting music! The film is entertaining and interesting! The box is beautiful! I believe this story as I believe in aliens and the unknown! That's all I can say without spoiling it. I can say I strongly recommend you see Communion!

Movie Nuttball's note: If you like alien movies I also recommend the following films: The UFO Incident, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, E.T. the Extra- Terrestrial, Time Walker, Invaders from Mars, Fire in the Sky, Independence Day, The Arrival, Xtro 3: Watch the Skies, Life Form, Alien, Aliens, Alien 3, Predator, and Predator 2!

If it wasn't for Walken, I would have been walken'...out of the theater

Author: Bryan Phillip Gard (gardbryp@flyernet.udayton.edu) from USA
22 February 1999

If it wasn't for Walken, I would have been walken'...out of the theater. He was the lone savior of this film. I can't believe Whitley Streiber was actively involved in this film. His book was excellent, the movie is another story. This visual atrocity completely does his book an injustice. I understand dressing up certain aspects of the film to make it more appealing, but come on. They should have at least tried to stay within the scope of the text and support the basic premise of the book. There was a tremendous intellectual and philosophical upside to Communion that just didn't come out on film. Instead, the viewer gets ninety minutes of choppy, inadequate details that mostly go unexplained. Need I even mention the cheesey aliens. They looked like something out of Willy Wonka. Shame on you Whitley for allowing this to happen.

Almost a comedy

Author: alsation72 from Australia
21 April 2011

A family (and another couple) spend a night at their country house, where they all get spooked by unknown night-time events. Back for Christmas and more spookiness ensues for the family; especially for husband and father Whitley (Christopher Walken's character) ... what could be going on?

If you saw the cover art you already have a pretty clear idea about what this film is about, but it takes its excruciating time to get to the lacklustre punchline.

After undergoing hypnotherapy and sitting in on a support group for probing victims, Whitelty finds a way to high-five the aliens and turn the experience from sinister to light-hearted.

Christopher Walken tries so very hard to be this lovable zany hipster, but his performance ends up as irretrievably irritating. He gets even more grating as slowly, slowly the audience is let in on the old ET probe story.

Walken comes across as a demented Groucho Marx, but the real comedy starts with the woeful special effects.

Bright lights are about as good as the special effects get. The phallic 'probe' that slides through the wall is almost hilarious, and the "aliens" were so fake-looking it is very hard to take them seriously.

Overall the film comes off as an amateur production, and I'd advise anyone to avoid it like the plague ... unless you want to laugh out loud at the pathetic "aliens" or the massive phallic probe.

Whitley Strieber (the main character) was apparently trying to write the "great American novel" as these events unfurled. Funny that. I just don't buy his formulaic story or this lame duck of a movie. Avoid both.

Fun job

Author: Chuck Mason from United States
12 February 2008

I was the Elec. BestBoy. It was a casual show (good for non-union), we all had fun, nobody got hurt, and it was a summer of work during the Writers' strike of '88 (or whenever that one was). I can't say it was a great movie, but Walken is an ........................ interesting fella. Good. For the alien exam sequence (shot at the HW Athletic Club while it was being rebuilt) I took some great (if I say so!) photos of him and Mora in the set. Kodak Tmax 3200 looked good! No still man on the show, no real publicist, no pix; whatever. Worth renting? No. Good times.

Oh my, that was only three lines of text, and they want ten. Guess I need to hit 'return' more often. Anyway, the gaffer was Kevin Williams. I wonder what he's doing these days. Last I talked to him, he was fixing up houses in Bakersfield or something. Fun guy; may he find his way. Is this enough now?

defining film

Author: Trevor M. Sharrde (gatsman2@aol.com) from Las Vegas, NV, USA
6 December 1999

For me, Communion is one of the few films I can say have had a profound effect on me. No, not because I was looking for aliens around every corner after watching it. Exactly the opposite. I forced myself to watch this film when I was 15 and it was airing on FOX one night. From the time I was nine on, I had a terrible fear of aliens. Couldn't even look at the cartoony faces it was so bad. Yet, I was fascinated by the UFO phenomenon. When I was eight years old, a reporter named George Knapp here at the local tv station did a five-part series on UFOs that introduced Area 51 to the world. Before that NO ONE knew about it except military personnel. Knapp's series was a groundbreaker. I saw every part of it, and it launched my fascination. But back to the point. Forcing myself to look at those big black eyes, I was finally able to not lose sleep over aliens for the first time in over six years. Watching this movie is great therapy for any kid with a UFO phobia. And that scene with the kid in the bug mask is a classic.

Read the book.. forget this movie.

Author: lunaticprophet from United States
8 January 2006

I read "Communion" about 16 years ago and the feeling of terror was palpable so I waited with great expectations for this movie to see if Whitley Strieber's vision could be captured on-screen. Unfortunately, this is just a bad film built on a bad screen play.

Ilker Yucel's review was interesting to read but I'm not sure how much of his insights bare witness to the truth.... but I enjoyed reading it, Ilker.

It would be such a change of pace if the movie, based on a book, could actually match the brilliance of the written word. It is accomplished so rarely.

If You Like Walken - Yes. If You Don't - No...

Author: Dale Houstman from Minneapolis, MN
12 April 2005

This is one of those films (like "Missouri Breaks" with Brando, and "Vampire Kiss" with Nicholas Cage) where a bravura performance is the entire experience. Walken truly gives it his all here, in service to a less-than-stellar narrative in a less-than-stellar films from an almost worthless book.

The actual joy of watching this film (and I've viewed it several times now) is that it seems Walken's character is forever commenting on the film itself, with such lines as "I've got to get out of here" and some ironic looks from Christopher. I assume he knew that he was in a dud, and decided to take the paid ride as far as it would take him.

Certainly worth a viewing (or several) for admirers of Walken at his most engaged and energetic. Otherwise...no.

Never so close to sleep in a 'thriller'

Author: Antony-4 from Cydonia, Mars
19 August 1999

I tried to watch this piece of trash late one night, and even though I have a profound phobia about alien abduction (no, I'm not lying) I didn't think this was scary and I didn't think it was suspenseful. The 'special' effects were absolutely idiotic. I can't believe that anyone would think that those blue creatures were aliens. I'm getting sleepy just thinking of it.

I'm not sure that they weren't trying to make a spoof. It was _that_ bad. A ridiculous waste of film.

Page 4 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]