IMDb > Communion (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Communion

Communion More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Communion left me immensly disturbed and profoundly changed.

Author: Heath Smith (s9709505@minyos.its.rmit.edu.au) from Australia
30 March 1999

I saw this movie when I was a kid. Only two movies have images and scenes that will stay with me forever. One is 'Saving Private Ryan' which I was devastated by just last year in my 20's, an the other is 'Communion'.

Telling people to see this film just doesn't work, it really is something you have to discover yourself. Also seems like one of those films you either 'get' or 'dont'. I've had two types of reactions from friends/people I've told to see this film:

1. What a hokey piece of rubbish, etc...

or

2. Why did you make me watch that? I can't sleep now.

I'm became a complete Walken fan after this movie (my first Walken experience if you will), and I won't reiterate the already spot-on comments. The kid in the film is incredibly amazing and real too, however Lindsay Crouse lets Walken influence her too much (starts doing a Walken at one point). Only failing of the film.

So many classic lines...

Well, look, the thing is, if you're reading this trying to figure out whether or not to hire this video, I have these words of advice. You'll either hate it, or...

I've seen 'Fire in the Sky', I've watched and been a fan of 'The X-Files' since the beginning, I've seen that Roswell movie with Kyle MacLauchlan, and that TV special 'Intruders'... none of them have been able to do what Communion did. I've never been abducted by aliens, and I hope to God I never am, but god damn 'Communion' is the only movie I have ever seen that has absolutely captured the primal fear, freaky mind-bending bizareness, and profoundly life changing aspects of what one of those experiences might possibly be like. Those aliens are the single most evil special effects I've ever seen, with their black eyes. And as you just begin to laugh slightly and think Walken is freaker than them, the mood just -turns- sickeningly... ok, I've said enough.

Watch it alone, with the lights out, very late at night, and it may very well change your life.

My vote for the most underrated film of all time. Definitely one of the most disturbing, and I'll never, ever look at the corner of my cupboard in my bedroom at night the same way again. :)

Christopher Walken dancing with aliens

Author: DogFilmCritic from United States
23 November 2015

This movie is just insane...

I don't know were to start, its supposed to be about alien abduction but it goes beyond to weird territory, i honestly saw Chistopher Walken become Tommy Wissau in some scenes, it is so surreal you think your watching a comedy when its supposed to be science fiction, i don't know what was in the directors mind when he mixed aliens and Christopher Walken, we get one of the most insane movies ever made i don't know if to compare it with Brazil or Eraser head.

Its not bad or good its in a rating limbo, you have to see it for yourself to believe what your watching and trying to make sense of it, its entertaining specially if you like strange premises, i honestly would say give it a watch and judge it for the craziness that it is

Worthwhile for camp value

Author: Sean H-. (cornflakeboy20) from United States
17 December 2013

Christopher Walken gives a distractingly bizarre performance in this trippy alien abduction movie. At times, he is bizarre and manic, going from a Dad joke making fuddy dud, to a somewhat menacing dangerous character (such as when he shoots up his home, and receives a muted reaction from his wife). He seems unfocused and indecisive, as he is both convinced of his alien abduction but on the fence about receiving therapy. This kind of day to day indecision may be common in real life, but it is odd to see a character change his mind with each scene in a movie. As in Fire in the Sky, the characters' positive traits are overemphasized so as to make them seem like everyday Americans and not alien abduction kooks. This is somewhat undone by the strange nature of Walken's performance. The director also throws in seeming Easter eggs to cast doubts on the story, throwing in references to alcohol and making the dream sequences ridiculous, campy and trippy. We also know the lead character is a writer, and that this would make a compelling book. At one point, when Walken is journeying to the cabin to perhaps commune with the aliens again, he is passed by a Miller Lite truck. The dream sequences are some of the most bizarre I've seen committed to film. They are trippier than David Lynch, and various camp musicals like The Apple. There are costumed gorilla aliens and dancing slim aliens that invite Walken to an orgy replete with anal probing, all while Walken recites lyrics from The Beatles. This makes it rather hard to believe. I have heard the author feels that the movie was not entirely accurate to his story, but his name is all over it, so he could have exercised greater control. I can only recommend this as a camp film. I will say it is far more entertaining than Fire in the Sky, but the one alien scene we get in Fire in the Sky is more frightening than the alien activity we see here.

Unsettling and silly

Author: regnarghost
8 May 2009

Nice attempt this. What seems to be a honest take on a probably manufactured story concerning aliens, or just supernatural creatures(don't remember really seeing a UFO), and its impact on a family's life. part horror, part drama.

How unsettling it is relies entirely on how you feel about aliens and abduction. The subject matter terrifies me, and therefore, it had me incredible uncomfortable during the first visit of the aliens. Its such a pleasure to see Cristopher Walker here, sitting around in different positions with clinched jaws. The director makes a tremendous job at presenting the abduction as a metaphysical and psychological collapse that clearly wont be remembered by the ones involved. Creepy.

As the film progresses some of this "visitors" turn out to look a bit like hooded Ewokds and it brings the experience down. Actually its quite interesting. These creatures are not as frightening as the grays, but logically, they are really not more unrealistic and silly. It kinda highlights how ridiculous this whole fear we have are. But for some (read the Paralysed Sleep thread on the board here) they might be very frightening.

Its still a pretty interesting film. The effects has aged well.

Is that someone there?

Author: Spikeopath from United Kingdom
25 May 2011

Communion is directed by Phillipe Mora and adapted for the screen by Whitley Strieber from his own book of the same name. It stars Christopher Walken, Lindsay Crouse and Francis Sternhagen. Theme music is by Eric Clapton, with the musical score by Allan Zavod. Photography is by Louis Irving, with locations for filming at Big Bear Valley and Running Springs in California.

"Based on the true story of one American family"

It continues to be a controversial movie to this very day, its subject matter, that of alien abduction/experiments, one that ensures the most divisive of audiences. Director Mora insists it's a film for those of an open mind, triumphantly proclaiming that he made a deliberately ambiguous and agnostic film against the big studios wishes. The trouble here is not in the subject matter, for it is a fascinating story, true or not, the problem is that the director isn't sure what to do with such material. In his attempt to flip the finger at the big wigs refusing to back his movie, he's made a mess of a picture. At times genuinely creepy, potent even, at others laughable and tacky. Were it not for a powerhouse eccentric performance from Walken, this would not be worthy of further inspection. It also feels like a collage of other sub-genre movies, eschewing the philosophy and scientific theories of Strieber's best selling book, in favour of Walken wielding a shotgun and freaking out under the inevitable hypnosis treatment. Strieber would later claim dissatisfaction with the movie, which while consistent with his own inconsistencies, is quite understandable. Because whether you believe or not, at the core is an intriguing and provocative story, sadly this film, in trying to be smug, loses the plot quite early on. 5/10

a long list of turkeys

Author: Raghavibaggy-Drawers from Islamabad
27 May 2010

So now that Christopher Walken is a star, let's see if we can dig up any old tapes and market them. This is a series of ancient, poor quality copies of Mr. Walken's earliest work. You'll find only the slightest hints of the whimsy and slapstick which defines a later-day "Christopher Walken" film. Communion is devoid of dialogue or context: was there any evolution of style or experience? What were the production dates? Will these actors appear again in later films? You might wonder, and after that throw it in the bin. And you'll never know.

Truly disappointing.

Christopher Walken is... fill in the blank if you please

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
1 May 2010

I don't think Communion would work nearly as well, in its own sort of warped-entertaining way, without Christopher Walken. Its budget would appear to be pretty low despite the pyrotechnics and veneer of effects; watch those scenes with the aliens, as weirdly cute and obviously fake as they are, for proof of that. And other actors around him, including Lindsay Crouse as the main character's wife and their son Andrew (Joel Carson), don't impress much except in their rigid one-dimensional parts, she as the shrill wife, he the precocious/scared kid.

So it falls on Walken to steal the show, and really, how could he not with this? Another actor might play Whitley Streiber- named after the author and supposedly based on the author's actual experiences with aliens- with a straight face, maybe like Richard Drefuss in Close Encounters of the Third Kind, a down-to-earth father and husband who is good to his kid (more or less) and loves his wife and has wisecracks and an original sensibility as a novelist to spare. But Walken, when he walks in (see what I did there), does his own thing with his unique, sometimes awkward and hilarious vocal inflections, and a way of looking at things that can be over the top as dead-pan, if that makes sense.

Actually, to give a better example of what Walken can do here better than anyone, watch the scenes where he reacts first to the blazing lights of the alien ships (a kind of detached amusement, some interest when his son screams, and even a smirk of "hah, you don't amuse, me" to the aliens when they arrive). Then, when he's on the ship, oh boy: this is when we get to the bizarre stuff, as Walken talks to the camera ("I am me, I am here, we are all together" like in I Am the Walrus or something), or sits back reading a magazine, or has an ambiguous response to the aliens advances with shaking hands. Probing him, of course, turns out to be another matter, albeit we see this all when Whitley is under hypnosis.

So a lot of this, plus some random scenes where we see Whitley's writing process writing under different characters and voices on a monitor, or those hypnosis scenes (or a classic scene where he sees everyone on a bus as a giant bug - Walken in the midst of sci-fi comedy Kafka), makes for some classic Christopher Walken bits. Hell, the guy even dances from time to time! This and a few creative touches as director from Philippe Mora help make this a kind of guilty pleasure. I can't recommend it the same way I could Close Encounters, since that one genuinely inspires and awes and gives great performances and music. This one has Eric Clapton on an off-day, low-rent alien fx and lighting cues, and it just kind of... ends really, on a note that should have been a few minutes before. But if you love Walken being "Walken", and want some cheesy alien-abduction sci-fi, you can surely look here for the goods - certainly it's a big step up from a more recent self-serious "true story" alien movie, The Fourth Kind.

I don't know who's scarier … Christopher Walken or Abducting Aliens.

Author: Coventry from the Draconian Swamp of Unholy Souls
10 August 2009

From the writer of "Wolfen" and "The Hunger", two somewhat awkward but nevertheless genuine horror tales, comes this truly outlandish and unclassifiable amalgam of Sci-Fi, thriller and family drama that I still haven't figured out how to properly rate even though I saw it several days ago and did a whole lot of contemplating since. Whitley Strieber, who turned his own novel into a screenplay and co-produced the film, unceasingly claims that "Communion" is based on his very own experiences as being the target of alien abduction and examination. Now this given could easily be dismissed as a cuckoo and sensational gimmick to promote the film, but simultaneously you can't deny that Strieber and director Philippe Mora ("The Beast Within", "The Howling II") attempted – and mainly succeeded – to insert a lot more psychological depth and feeling into this film than usually the case with alien movies. "Communion" is, above all, an extremely weird film and undeniably one that provokes thoughts and opinions that go far beyond the experiences you usually have when watching late 80's movies that deal with extraterrestrial encounters. The author Whitley Strieber is depicted by Christopher Walken – I'll get back to his unforgettable performance later – and the movie begins somewhere early October 1985. During a series of recesses at their country cabin, whether with friends or just with his family, Whitley has "meetings" with two types of alien visitors – the stereotypical large black-eyed ones and little blue monsters – that thoroughly subject him to painful and psychologically devastating examinations. Since Whitley doesn't recall these meeting but obviously alter his mental state of mind, he eventually agrees to relive them via hypnosis sessions. The revelations that come to the surface during these sessions are amazing and fantastic, to say the least…

This film's greatest trump is inarguably how it forces you to identify with the supportive characters. Not the protagonist himself, as he's obviously a character you can't easily relate to, but his wife or his doctor. Personally, I'm not a "believer" in extraterrestrial life myself, but that doesn't matter because you are only supposed to accept that Whitley Strieber strongly believes all the ordeals that he's hallucinating about. It's quite remarkable how Strieber and Mora manage to put the emphasis on the impact that Whitley's behavior has on his social life, rather than on the actual alien encounters itself. I haven't read it myself, but a friend of mine assured me that the novel digs even deeper into the psychological aspects, so if you're into complex protagonist portrayals you might want to check out the book. If half of the film's power relies on atmosphere, than the other half definitely relies on Christopher Walken's performance! Walken is famous for his outrageous performances and eccentric characters, but he truly surpasses himself as Whitley Strieber. The stereotypical maniac and certifiable crazy person that you know as Christopher Walken – and how he's often imitated by fellow celebrities like Kevin Pollack and Kevin Spacey – fully came to life on the set of "Communion", I presume. He yells, stares creepily, pauses between words and pulls petrifying faces almost like he's spoofing his own personality.

In an attempt to appeal to an as versatile as possible audience, "Communion" loses a lot of its credibility and ingenuity near the end, with sequences that are just exaggeratedly demented and special effects that ruin the surreal ambiance. The last fifteen minutes are overlong and sorely disappointing. Also, on a lesser important note, you better not have seen the pilot episode of "South Park" too many times, otherwise you can't help comparing Whitley Strieber's alien encounters with the anal probes that Eric Cartman had.

Worst Walken film

Author: henoch-2 from Netherlands
24 April 2008

To me Communion was a disappointment. I expected more of a Christopher Walken film, although all great actors have made lesser films. When I saw a clip of the film I thought it would be really scary but only parts of it were. It starts out well but the second time he meets the aliens it just starts to get funny. Ther'e not scary or even believable as abductors. They look like cheap little blue copies of Jabba The Hutt! The ''greys'' in the movie were scary but later on you only get funny looking orange versions of them. I like Christopher Walken as an actor but this is definitely his worst picture. They only thing good about it was the little boys acting he was great and at such a young age. A well deserved award

A major disappointment

Author: Doug-193 from United States
20 October 1999

I found this film to be a major disappointment, especially since the book had a powerful effect on me, and the director is a friend of the author. The character of Whitley Strieber as played by Chris Walken is unrecognizably goofy to me, and the effects photography fail over and over to capture the imagery of the book. Strieber has referred many times to the "high strangeness" of his experiences, but as depicted here they often seem merely silly.

Page 3 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]