IMDb > Bye Bye Blues (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Bye Bye Blues More at IMDbPro »

Spread the word

Author: jaykay-10
2 August 2001

A touching and absorbing story about coming to grips with reality: sometimes people get to live the way they want; more often they find themselves living the way they must, because their economic and emotional survival depends upon their being able to do so. When priorities change suddenly, radically, and against one's will, the situation becomes especially stressful. There are those who learn to cope, and those who fall by the wayside; either of the foregoing includes every one of us.

You will be deeply involved in this woman's conflicts. You will admire her, and care very much about what happens to her. It's a shame that this beautiful picture is obscure. Everything about it works.

Great music, great prairie period piece, great Rebecca Jenkins

Author: John Abraham from Calgary, AB
29 November 2004

I loved this movie when I first saw it, and I love it still.

Rebecca Jenkins is simply phenomenal as a real-life singer in this movie, and as an actor too. You watch her move from a war-widow to a touring jazz star, slowly and reluctantly abandoning her old life. It's moving and it's hard to stop watching.

The music is simply fabulous. George Blondheim put together a classic 40's dance band sound that I just love. The soundtrack CD is still a favourite 15 years later.

And the scenery-- well, it's outstanding.

I wish they'd release this one on DVD so I can see it in all it's glory.

Great Movie - Bye Bye Blues

Author: jaster-7 from Canada
31 March 2008

I love this movie - I saw this years ago when it was first out and it never left me. I now own it on VHS and I couldn't be happier to see it again - it was everything that I remembered it was. For those of you looking for a copy - I found mine through a private seller through Amazon. It was wonderful to see this movie again. I love Rebecca Jenkins, her voice is thrilling. I love the music. I love the dramatic period and world events that are affecting these people living in the Canadian Praries. I love the strength and colour of the characters. I love Rebecca's relationship with her sister, her husband, her band mates, her mother and father, her children - everything about this movie feels real and it flows beautifully. There is so much that happens in her life, and so many changes in her relationships with everyone in her life - from asserting herself and what she wants to do, despite to her family's consternation, something that she knows she needs to do - but through all the upheavals, downturns, and excitement she never loses her connection with her life before the war, her love and devotion to her husband. It is so real, and so tender, and so heartbreakingly involving to watch her internal struggles as she faces the restrictions of the time. Bittersweet.

see it!...if you can

Author: vwoolffan from NYC
29 October 2003

I saw this movie in a film class when it was first released with the caveat that it probably wouldn't do as well as it should b/c it was a) a "nice" movie b) Canadian - i.e., not a Hollywood blockbuster. Sadly, this prophecy came true. I'd love to see it again and would recommend it to others but what I need to know is, is it available to rent? or even for purchase. Anyone out there know?

A delightful Forties Movie Full of Music

Author: JFlynt9481 from United States
27 January 2006

This is a thoroughly enjoyable drama chock full of great music and poignant characters and scenes. I only wish I could find it on DVD!

My elderly mother really loved the music from the forties' era. Lots of recognizable character actors and beautiful scenery of Canada and India.

Written during a difficult and trying financial and political time, Bye Bye Blues seems to make the very best of a hard situation with hope and diligence.

It was wonderful to see the progress of the musical talents of Daisy as her abilities improved with practice. Lots of original music to enjoy.

Brilliant & outstanding!

Author: Tushar (troza101@gmail.com) from Detroit, Michigan, USA
30 December 2001

This heart-warming & poignant story is beautifully filmed. Outstanding direction & excellent acting. A low-budget, creative endeavor deserves to have had more press as well as critical acclaim. I hope it is shown more frequently or re-relealsed and as previous comment indicated available on DVD.

Excellent music too. A must-see for people who appreciate good films.

Brilliant & outstanding

Author: Tushar (troza101@gmail.com) from Detroit, Michigan, USA
30 December 2001

This heart-warming & poignant story is beautifully filmed & well directed. Excellent acting and well written screenplay. This low-budget creative endeavor deserved much more press & critical acclaim. I hope it gets a re-release as previous comment suggested is made available on a DVD.

A must-see for people who appreciate good films. Also, wonderful music. A gem!

Music to Bye Bye Blues

Author: Canuckaway from United States
28 April 2009

I, too, would love to see this movie on DVD.

I watched it on CBC more than 10 years ago and had the privilege of seeing George Blondheim & Co. perform the soundtrack to the movie LIVE at Jack Singer concert hall in Calgary. They explained the pieces and how they composed them. Awesome! If only I could get the soundtrack on I-tunes...

My children are studying Jazz and the Blues, I think this soundtrack is a great example of the music from the 40s.

I am not sure who the distributor of the film is, but contacting them would be one way to encourage a re-release on DVD. Perhaps the CBC may be motivated to add it to their DVD library!

Superbly poignant, heartwrenching!

Author: Ron Tanguay (spinaker@ican.net) from Vancouver, Canada
27 November 1998

Possibly the best Canadian film ever shot! This warm, real look at WW2 life abroad and on the home front is a visual and an emotional tour de force.

The tensions on the home front (husband missing in action; wife living with in-laws) and the inner conflicts gripping a woman determined to be loyal yet needing an identity of her own have rarely been more skilfully portrayed.

A must for collectors -- if it could only be made available as DVD or Laserdisk!!!

Great music, great prairie period piece, great Rebecca Jenkins

Author: John Abraham from Calgary, AB
29 November 2004

I loved this movie when I first saw it, and I love it still.

And the scenery-- well, it's outstanding.

I wish they'd release this one on DVD so I can see it in all it's glory.