IMDb > Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
Page 5 of 18: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Most awesome

Author: Mr-Fusion from United States
1 January 2015

BILL AND TED'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE is about as goofy as it gets, but that's totally its charm. And I can't really think of anything that's not likable about this movie; the historical figures at the mall, Napoleon and the waterslides, Bill's stepmom... It's got a surprisingly catchy soundtrack, some great one-liners and a winning sense of humor. The two leads are perfect choices for the eponymous dimwits (can there be a role more suited to Reeves' "Whoa" persona?). It all just works here, even if the time travel logic is threadbare. This is just good cheesy '80s fun. But most of all, I just love that George Carlin's in this. On paper, he seems unlikely, but fits like a glove.

One of the most fun films ever made

Author: Paul Behragam Gutierrez Hernandez from Vancouver, Canada
28 October 2014

This film has lots of content to offer to everyone. The entire time I was watching, I kept on feeling the excitement that's inside me while watching. A film about two boys who fail school that get a time machine sounds pretty unique, but when you watch it, you get to see how fun it is. The script is well done, the action scenes are put together well, and the music is well done! One of my favorite parts in the film were the different scenes that go on at once. After Bill and Ted left Austria, accidentally taking Napoleon Bonaparte with them, Ted asks his younger brother to watch him. So we see Bill & Ted going back into time capturing historical figures, while Napoleon is exploring the world of San Dimas in the 1980's. Not to mention, the CGI in this film is bombtastic for its time.

It's a most triumphant movie, Dude!

The Ultimate Movie Review! - http://tss5078.blogspot.com - @tss5078

Author: Tss5078 from United States
6 October 2014

Since the very beginnings of film, "buddy" comedies have always been very popular. From Laurel & Hardy and Abbott & Costello to Cheech & Chong and Harold & Kumar, audiences love to see what kind of trouble these guys can get into. After 25 years and with talks of a second sequel on the way, I finally decided to see what Bill & Ted were all about. I was always scared off by the PG rating, I mean George Carlin in a PG rated film, come on! The first part of the film was pretty much what I expected it to be, as the two failing history dudes, fly around the world looking for historical figures. Things turn from ordinary to extraordinary when the group finally returns to 1989 and decide to go the mall of all places. This is where the film really finds itself and becomes more than just your typical buddy story. The interactions with people and the reactions on both sides are absolutely priceless and is what changed my opinion of this film. Keanu Reeves stars in one of his earliest roles, and manages to show that at some point in his life, he did have a personality and could tell a joke. His partner Alex Winter didn't really do much before or since, and while he wasn't great, he did have chemistry with Reeves, which always helps a movie progress. Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure wasn't so excellent, but it was different and manages to hold your attention. I still think this film would have been much better if it were R rated and a lot more edgy, but for what it was, it wasn't bad at all.

The comic tale of an amazing adventure directed by Stephen Herek.

Author: FilmCriticLalitRao from Paris, France
26 September 2014

Director Stephen Herek has made his film in such a manner that even a future star Keanu Reeves appears more of an actor sans all the fuss of an arrogant star. As great American philosopher John Dewey (1859- 1952) rightly remarked : "we only think when we are confronted with problems", an important lesson learned by two teenage boys who embark on a mission to meet some of history's greatest figures in order to complete their class' history project. This is the commencement of an amazing adventure of astronomical proportions wherein two dimwits get a chance to hobnob with some of mankind's greatest personalities namely Socrates, Lincoln, Napoleon and Freud. It would not be an understatement to express that all films try to entertain their viewers. However, there are certain films which succeed in killing two birds with a single stone. "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure" is one such film which provides oodles of entertainment with adequate doses of pertinent messages about teaching especially techniques of imparting lessons in history to young people. The small town setting does enormous good to this film as it is depicted as an ideal place for young people with limited opportunities who yearn to showcase their creativity at any cost.

A 1980s Cult Classic

Author: gavin6942 from United States
16 September 2014

Two seemingly dumb teens struggle to prepare a historical presentation with the help of a time machine.

This is the film that launched Keanu Reeves' career and brought George Carlin to a new generation of audiences. Those who grew up in the 80s and 90s may know him better as Rufus than as a comedian.

The film has aged a bit in the last twenty-five years, but that is to be expected. Unfortunately, because it is a music-themed film ,this was inevitable. The film is and will always be a "cult classic", but the idea of the future as expressed here is a bit more bizarre than even originally conceived.

The film could also be seen as misogynist, or at least anti-feminist. With the possible exception of Joan of Arc, there are no strong female roles. Missy exists as a trophy wife, and the princesses serve no purpose other than to be brides or girlfriends. A feminist critique would be interesting.

Fun adventure with a phone booth time machine

Author: willcundallreview from United Kingdom
21 August 2014

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure is an adventure comedy and also a Sci-Fi that is funny, fun and has two likable yet very stupid characters. The story is not drawn out or anything and is one of the best things about it, it doesn't try to be a fantastic movie and knows where it's limits are. It kind of thrills all the way through and at certain points you may really be rooting for Bill and Ted. I felt the film was just about good, and here below is why so.

The story as said is fun and also comedic and that really mixes well here to create a film that will make you laugh but also let you just enjoy yourself whilst watching it. With the element of the time machine it just gets more fun, yes the film is goofy and very silly and can even seem like a stoner comedy without the drugs, but it is just consistently an enjoyable ride and one you can't help but like.

Keanu Reeves and Alex Winter have a great friendship chemistry that is perfect in this type of movie, they even seem like brothers at times. As a whole the entire cast is good and they have good fun all the way to the end, I liked Terry Camilleri as Napoleon who is just hilarious and I won't ruin it for you but what he does is one of the highlights of this movie and along with other historic figures they all get caught in stupid things.

Chris Matheson and Ed Solomon make a solid script which is really one of the highlights of this movie and the basis for much of the laughs. Stephen Herek directs it well too and he seems to do a good job when it comes to the travels Bill and Ted go on. For the 80's, it has some cool effects and although not awesome, they are still good to see, and the sets sometimes are well… just a little crazy.

The film isn't always funny, misses the odd joke and that is why it isn't THE most funny film although no comedy is perfect. I think what I said about the stoner comedy but it doesn't have stoners part is also a reason this isn't great, very teen orientated and I can see why some people disliked this movie quite a bit, although yet again this film never claims or I think wants to be perfect.

If you want a comedy that goes along the lines of many other 80's comedies then this is one to watch and it also has the added bonus of being slightly like a parody similar to Back to the Future. I think if you don't like the goofy films also made in the 80's then this isn't for you, very much a film that isn't afraid to target only teenagers as a market, but I think now the biggest fans from 1989 are way past there teens.

Overall I did feel this was a Just About Good film and one I thought at first could have been an even higher score. Give it a go and literally chill out whilst watching this and you will have a massively good time, if you watch as a brutal film critic then you will well dislike it. But always remember watching this that it's just a funny teen film and I hope you have a most excellent adventure.

Way Better Than I Expected!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
26 July 2014

I don't know how they did this, but Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure actually turned out to be a decent movie. There were some laughs to be had and the sci-fi is actually pretty darn crazy. In other words, this is a dumb film, but so dumb that it turns to be good entertainment. If you manage you turn off your brain and not expect anything serious, you will probably like this. (And no, there are no explosions here.)

This film is about two doofus high school students named Bill and Ted who are on the verge of failing their history class, unless they pass their final oral exam. But with the help of this one mysterious figure, the duo use a time machine to head back in time to get their history for their project. But is it enough?

Now, I wouldn't call the acting great. But everyone has just enough charm in order to make things work. Keanu Reeves in one of his very early film roles does an okay job and so does his mate, Alex Winter. I will say their characters are mildly irritating at times. There are also some cool cameos here, including the great George Carlin.

Overall, this is a film that has no right to be good........but it is. It's an hour and a half of cheap entertainment that has some laughs and gives us a different look at time travel. Their take on the future is ludicrous, but pretty funny. This is not going to win any Oscars, but it's pure, dumb fun. I rate this film 8/10.

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure

Author: Phil Hubbs from UK
20 April 2014

This could quite possibly be one of the most original and well created comicbook style movie franchises that didn't actually start out originally as a comicbook. Yep believe it or not this cult franchise started out with the first film which was ingeniously written by two fellas called Matheson and Solomon, this film was not adapted from a comicbook source.

I used to watch this film when I was still in school back in the day, it was massive! I adored it and watched it all the time. The basic premise is so simple yet the film has been so well crafted I fail to see how anyone can not enjoy it. Bill and Ted are a couple of metalhead school flunks in the present day, yet through a bizarre series of events both will eventually become the inspirational 'Great Ones' that changed the human race into a peaceful utopian society...through their music. The problem is if they don't pass their history class Ted will get shipped off to military academy and this future will never happen. Enter 'Rufus' to help and assist the bumbling duo in passing their final history test/exam thing.

Watching this recently I guess the main things that stand out to me are...well actually there are a lot of things that stood out and still hold up today. The visuals are great fun, sure its not as colourful as the sequel but I'm still really impressed at how good each period looks mainly. The duo travel across a few eras and I must say everything looks pretty darn good considering this was a bit of a tacky throw away teen flick. Each period is only seen briefly but it all holds up even though you might only see a single room or street. For example when they pick up Beethoven we see a really elegant 18th Century room full of aristocrats or noble folk and it looks good, believable. There's a real castle with a nice interior for 15th Century England (God knows where), a small taste of ancient Greece with pillars and statues, a section of a wild west town etc...My point is they clearly have had to stretch and struggle to create each period but full kudos to them as it all looks amazingly solid.

Not everything looks that good these days of course, some of the periods are a bit thin on the ground visually eg. Napoleon's war camp, prehistoric San Dimas and Genghis Khan's tent which is obviously an easy cover for not showing anything else. But again on the plus side all the costumes look really good and the casting is really good too. I still found Terry Camilleri's subtle performance as Napoleon to be hilarious with his little French mutterings and facial expressions, he fit this role like a glove, brilliant!. All the other cast really do look good with some nice makeup work, Abe Lincoln is especially good looks and performance wise, as is Beethoven and the almost mute Socrates. Honourable mention to Al Leong as Genghis Khan. Despite the age and silliness of this film I have no issues with any of the historical elements really. I'm just amazed it does look as good as it does because we all know how shitty these things can look with less care.

I mean apart from the joyous adventure there is so much to praise here. The soundtrack is awesome, pure awesomeness, yeah its totally 80's of course but if you like 80's tunage then you'll love this selection. There are some truly electric sequences which are bitchin' simply down to the musical track that accompanies them. Add to that the full on retro vibe going on here, I just love every minute of it, the sneakers, cars, tunes, technology, clothes etc...there is one scene where Billy the Kid and Socrates try to chat up these two girls in the mall. Oh my these girls are visually the epitome of the 80's, not that that's a surprise of course but little things like this brings the memories flooding back and really helped me enjoy the film. Oh and my God one of them is super cute!.

Admittedly the film does take a bit of a dive as you near the end. The whole history test thing they gotta take always did seem evil to me, what kind of high school test involves standing in front of an entire hall full of students and giving a lecture on history?! Jesus!. And lets be honest here, the presentation Bill and Ted give is pretty nondescript really, it is essentially a bunch of people giving them a pat on the back, its more of a magic show. There are bits I could pick at throughout the film like the fact they somehow manage to squeeze so many people into one phone booth and when they drop all the famous history figures back into their own times wouldn't their new knowledge and visions of the future change history dramatically?.

But lets be honest here, this film isn't anything more than a wild ride that probably wasn't expected to do much more than hit the videoshop shelves and rot (many similar teen flicks over the years did just that, 'Bio-Dome' anyone). There's a reason the franchise became a cult and that's because this first film is so damn enjoyable. The cool phone booth concept is genius, the ultra cool Rufus played by Carlin, the quirky and amusing looking 2688 future humans and of course the iconic dialog which has become a part of modern pop culture and predates the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles pizza surfing spiel. A most triumphant time travel fantasy which is pretty much a hidden gem these days, full of surprises and a franchise that Keanu Reeves was actually perfectly cast for.

Excellent comedy with quite a lot of genius!

Author: HelenMary from London, UK
3 January 2014

This film is an 80s classic, as far as I'm concerned in the same category as things like Ferris Beuller's Day Off. Everyone has seen it (if not HOW?) and everyone loves it, films like Real Genius too. 'Excellent Adventure is comedy at it's best; entertaining, funny, cleverly written and stands the test of time as good clean fun. It's great to watch over twenty years later, and still surprises whilst feeling warm, fuzzy and totally familiar.

The premise is simple; two slacker kids with big ambitions get some help from the future where their simple rock band have brought harmony and peace to the world, ended poverty and seen in a Utopian age. It's silly really and naïve in many ways but the writing is most certainly not. It's like Innerspace, funny, daft and if you pay attention you might actually learn something (pulmonary alveoli came up in my Biology A-level so a quote from Innerspace was quite useful by way of revision) and if you know something already some of the jokes in BATEA are actually quite brilliant - watch Freud's corn dog in the Mall ;-)

The script is brilliant, with some great and memorable one-liners, it's family fun, relatively clean and innocuous (quite rare these days), and whilst the main characters are supposed to be slacker idiots, they are actually quite profound and are fairly good role models! Alex Winter and Keanu Reeves play the lead roles (Bill and Ted respectively) and clearly had a LOT of fun making this film (ditto the historical figures) and the chemistry between them was excellent - apparently they were/are friends in real life. They look like they are having fun, the characters had fun and the viewer has fun. It's a popcorn movie, and what films should be about; feel good and uplifting. It's a joy. Their facial expressions and physical comedy are so enjoyable; Reeves especially (more well known now) is just fabulous to watch, and makes me smile all the way through the film. George Carlin is great, and I particularly like the actors who play Napoleon, Freud and Socrates. The SFX whilst a little simple are good and do the job, and haven't dated that much (a bit), and the music/soundtrack is worth an honourable mention.

It's not perfect but then neither is life, and at least this tries to make life a little bit better by existing. "Be excellent to each other," is a good maxim, and the moral behind this film is as bodacious and relevant today as it was in the 80s.

A timeless comedy!

Author: zombiefan89 from United States
29 September 2013

The story is very well written! The way Bill and Ted time travel and meet themselves is done brilliantly! I love it when stories come full circle like that! It also shows that Keanu Reeves could act at some point in his career, even if he seems almost robotic now! There were a couple of deus ex machina moments, like the tape recorder, but...it's a travel travel movie! There's no bigger deus ex machina than a time traveling phone booth! The movie is not meant to be taken seriously. It's a late 80's popcorn flick through and through! It has some foul language from Napoleon, so it's probably considered PG-13 now days. Overall, don't take it as historically accurate in ANY sense! It's a comedy, not a history lesson! Sit back and enjoy!