IMDb > Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
Page 11 of 19: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Excellent

Author: kornkicksass_69 from Canada
4 January 2004

This was a really funny movie which started all those stupid movies we all watch today. This was a great movie, stupid, but great. It had the dumbest plot that would make you think that the movie was going to suck but they somehow made it really funny. 9/10 ***

Dumb, but SOOOO entertaining

Author: Dan from Boston
2 September 2003

Now this is the sort of movie that is over the top and you would imagine would kill brain cells, but that is probably the reason that it is so fun to watch. Also its probably one of the most quotable movies I've ever watched.

not great, but underrated clean fun

Author: c_looj
26 July 2003

This film is kind of a cult classic...judging from comments, people have a love/hate relationship with the film...I would have to side with the love, because even though it is not a logical film, it is not meant to be, and is just fun.

As a film though, I have to say it is very detailed for a movie many people may brush off as "stupid" or "mindless." The little visual details and motifs make it competent in its direction and script (notice the stickers, gestures, dialogue parallels). However, it is a film very much made for its time period with its California syntax and references to 80's life. Noteworthy is Keanu Reeves' actual character and acting skills, which are much more apparent here than in ANY of his other films (Matrix I and II, Chain Reaction, Johnny Mneumonic, to name a few).

On the surface it may not be much of a film, but for those looking to have a fun time and who are willing to see past its marketed premise, it is a deep film and a gem to all those who love it.

A comedy classic!

Author: Flameshadow from NY
29 June 2003

I saw part of this in my social studys class last school year(yeah, my ss teacher rocks:)) and was like; 'hey, what's this? is that Neo? Hey, this is really funny!' Well, a bit later, me an' my friend were trying to rent videos but couldn't decide, so, right before my mom's head exploded and she dragged us out I grabbed this movie. Well, we admitted it *was* kinda dumb, but really funny! It was weird, and funny, and sci-fi, and even educational! who could forget good ol' So-Crates? This movie is most awesome, I would definitley recommend it:)

It's quite scary....

Author: CocaCola18 (Aka1983CocaCola@aol.com) from England
19 June 2003

...but I actually learned something from this movie... Yeah I know I'm an idiot! ...How this movie was popular I do not know... Well actually I have an idea...

1) It's much better than those Revenge of the Nerds film America was throwing at the world.

2) The duo of Bill & Ted summed up the culture pretty much from the speech to the haircuts!

3) They play AIR GUITAR

4) It rocks!

Okay and not fogetting the always brilliant George "Rufus" Carlin is in the movie as erm Rufus! Keanu Reeves, to me when asked what he'll be remembered for I'll ALWAYS Ted 'Theodore' Logan (followed by me playing air guitar)! Forget all this Neo bullsh*t!

A most triumphant movie

Author: ash_ketchum09 from Wemyss Bay, Scotland
3 June 2003

This (and the much under-rated sequel) is one of my all time favourite movies, totally goof-ball humour for sure but Keanu Reeves and Alex Winter are just such a cool pairing its unbelievable, the plot follows these two about to fail History so a man from the future Rufus (George Carlin) gives them a telephone booth that can travel through time (Do I need a Doctor Who joke?) and so the two 'dudes' collect 'persons of historical significance' and use them to deliver their History report. Great mix of comedy and sci fi and while its no 'Back to the Future' who cares it is still an amazing film with some fine acting and some of the best lines of any movie ever. Remember 'Party on, dudes!' and 'Be excellent to each other!'.

Most triumphant!

Author: DavidJones from Arlington, Texas
27 December 2002

How's it going, dudes? This movie here is excellent! It's about two high school senior dudes named Bill (Alex Winter) & Ted (Keanu Reeves), that are failing history 'cause they've spent all their time trying to form a band called "Wyld Stallyns". They must get an A+ on their history report tomorrow, or they'll fail, and Ted's dad will send him to military school, and they will never start their band! Bogus!

Luckily, Rufus, an old man from the future (played by George Carlin), has come to help them pass the report, because, well...it'll all make sense in the end! He gives them a phone booth/time machine, and they go back in time and meet famous historical dudes such as Billy, or "Mister" the Kid, Beeth Oven, Bob "Genghis" Khan, "Noah's wife" Joan of Arc, and many others!

Will they pass their report?

You'll just have to see for yourself! This movie was filmed in 1987, and released in February of 1989. It is a most triumphant film, and was followed by a sequel, a cartoon series, and a live action series. It is a must-see for everyone! So, "Be excellent to each other" and "Party on, dudes"!

Dude, MOST EXCELLENT!

Author: movie_dude from California
18 November 2002

I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy. This is one of the best 80s teen movies...besides "Porkies" and "Fast Times At Richmond High." I must say this is Keanu Reeves best movie, I'm not really of a Keanu Reeves fan, but he was MADE for this movie. So was Alex Winters. Go rent this movie. I defiantly give it: A

A movie of true comic genius

Author: Animsteve from West Chester, PA
5 October 2002

This is the story of two boys with no brains that must somehow pass History or risk flunking out of school all together. When you include a phone booth time machine and some of history's greatest people you've got one of the most original movies I have ever seen. Besides being original, this movie was actually very funny! Most movies today have to use vulgar humor and people insulting eachother non-stop (ie. Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back) because that is what they must think people want. Personally I would take watching Genghis Kahn destroying a sporting goods store over any of that crap in a second. Besides Genghis Kahn this movie has other greats such as Socrates (So crates), Joan of Arc, Abraham Lincoln, and many more! The reason this movie is so good is because they actually thought about the humor and figured out something that anyone who knows anything about history could appreciate. Anyone who is tired of the mildly amusing vugarity that is everywhere today should go rent this one, or buy it on DVD because it only costs as much as renting it twice at Blockbuster anyway.

A most excellent history lesson dudes.

Author: bsamdahl (bsamdahl@aol.com) from Illinois
16 September 2002

This movie gets high marks for originality and creativity. It was also the movie that put Keanu Reeves on the map. (no pun intended.) 13 years later, phrases made famous in this film are still being used today. The title is often quoted substituting current names. NO WAY, be excellent to each other, all we are is dust in the wind, and party on dudes, are some of the catchy sayings from that film. Bill and Ted must time travel to the past and learn about history so they can pass their final exam. In the process, they bring back the actual characters from the past to present day California. Characters such as Socrates, Napoleon, and Abraham Lincoln are suddenly walking around shopping malls and bowling alleys. What makes this funny is that Bill and Ted are a couple of goof balls when it comes to school. Ted, (Keanu Reeves), cannot even pronounce the names of these characters correctly.

The film is extremely funny and both Keanu Reeves and Alex Winter are actually believable doing their goof ball routine. I only wish the film could have devoted a little more time to the historical characters wandering around in present day California. The film portrays that laid back suburban airhead stereotype pretty well when the historical characters introduce themselves to the locals. At one point, Bill's mom, when introduced to the likes of Socrates and Abraham Lincoln, says `nice to meet you;' as if they were just other ordinary people. The bottom line, if you like history, you will love this movie. In general, I do not care for comedy films where the plot is ridiculous, but credit goes to both the actors and the writers in this film to make someone like myself enjoy it.