IMDb > Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 2 of 19:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Excellent!

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
12 November 2003

Ah, the days when Keanu and Alex were both struggling actors. I joke with my friends when we watch this movie and I say "If you could go back in time, would you have ever imagined that Keanu would make it after this film?" LOL! But both actors have come a long way and are very respected in their work.

This is a very fun film. Is it silly? Oh, yes. But you have to admit that there are more than a few moments where you are laughing on the floor in tears. I mean, come on, "How's it going, royal ugly dudes?" LOL! Every line in here is pretty much a catch. Yes way, Bill and Ted, they did have an excellent adventure. Go on the adventure with them, you won't regret it. It's a fun movie.

Charmingly Harmless

Author: jonathon_naylor from Manitoba, Canada
5 September 2006

BILL & TED'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE is one of those charming, harmless comedies which, if you grew up in the 1980s, you probably saw once... or twice... or three or four times.

Alex Winter and Keanu Reeves are gnarly as the title duo, two high school headbangers (read: morons) whose future, it turns out, is crucial to the wellbeing of the planet! Trouble is, these dudes are about to seriously flunk history, and if that happens, the entire space time continuum could suffer. Enter from the future Rufus, sent back to the '80s to provide our dimwitted heroes with a time-traveling telephone booth. With it, they round up a who's who of historical figures -- Socrates, Billy the Kid, Sigmund Freud, Napoleon and the like -- to highlight an educational presentation that will be their academic saving grace.

Nothing is overly spectacular about BILL & TED'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE. It's neither roll-on-the-floor hilarious nor ingenious nor packed with amazing special effects. But it does deliver quality over quantity, nicely filling out its 90-minute running time with some chuckles and smiles. The first half is particularly strong as the guys venture from the Old West to medieval castles in search of people whose names they can't even pronounce (Beethoven becomes "beeth oven" and so on). Seeing them try to sweet talk Socrates with rock lyrics and lure Genghis Khan with a Twinkie is good for a laugh. The same fish-out-of-water scenario doesn't work quite as well when these figures enter contemporary times, but everybody puts in their best effort forward. And sometimes, that's all you can ask of a film. A kickin' soundtrack adds to the fun.

gets more annoying with time

Author: puttputtk from United States
16 June 2010

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure (1989)

5 word summary

Friends travel time for history

To give the good news first, the film is a fun adventure comedy, unfortunately it is also an annoying adventure comedy as well.

When I was younger I remember enjoying this movie and so I watched it again recently and didn't realize how bad it was. With the obvious time travel paradoxes aside, since they come with any time travel movie, the film has just too many problems. Bad acting, that are shared with bad writing to make the acting seem even worse, lame directing and lame attempt to sneak in a history lesson, that I'm guessing is missed by most viewers.

It is at times funny, I wont deny that, however the main characters are overwhelmingly annoying that its hard to care about the funniness. One example is how Bill and Ted always speak together, saying the same thing. Here and there would be okay but they really over did it.

The film is watchable, you just really have to be in the mood, or have enjoyed it since the 80s.

Bogus? No way, dude!

Author: Tomius J. Barnard from United Kingdom
2 February 2005

BILL AND TED'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE, I originally bought it because it was £3.99 during the New Year's Day sales, and, as a DVD collector, I meerly picked it up to add to my ever-expanding collection. Putting off watching it for over a month, I finally found the time to sit down and press play. Strangely (and almost instantly), I was totally hooked on something I imagined I'd never like...

Bill and Ted are two dudes in 1988. Hoping to form their own band one day, they spend endless hours practising in their garage even though they have no idea how to even play the guitar! Also, they're both flunking History and unless they can get an A+ in their next history report, Ted's dad is sending him off to military school! They've got to figure something out, and fast! Along comes Rufus, an "awesome dude" from the future who has been sent to make sure they pass their report with flying colours... using a time machine! So, Bill and Ted set off on one heck of an adventure through time, picking up a variety of characters from the different ages of the universe, including Billy the Kid, Joan of Arc and Beethoven himself! When you begin watching BILL AND TED'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE you can instantly tell you're in for something different. Sure, the plot's a little crazy and thin, but it's a fun movie aimed at doing one thing: To Entertain.

There's no use in taking this movie too seriously or you won't enjoy it at all. Watch it with an open mind and relax, maybe get a few friends around too. Seriously, it's totally fun and I recommend it to any film fans, whether it's to see something totally different or to see something totally awesome! BILL AND TED'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE: Fun, original and laughable. (7/10)

truly awful film

Author: A Gunn from Cayman Islands
30 June 2010

after watching this film i am left wondering how on earth did Keanu Reeves have an acting career after this. Not only is the acting so bad the storyline is so appalling. Most films like this i try to go along with the corny and silly nature of them but i couldn't squeeze an ounce of fun out of this film. The script sounds like it was written either by a stoner or someone on the verge of becoming a vegetable and Keanu Reeves previously mentioned awful acting was excruciating and was probably on par with an enthusiastic actor in a school production. The only good part of the film that i got a laugh out of was Napoleon, who is played very well with the good comic timing and genuine humor that was missing for most of this film.

btw i was forced to watch this in a high school history lesson so i am genuinely sorry if i am shitting on one of your favorite childhood movies

Honest look 20 years later at what was a most excellent movie.

Author: Quebec_Dragon from Canada
26 January 2013

Two Californian wannabe rock star teens, one played by Keanu Reeves of Matrix fame, are going to flunk their history class. Thankfully, a time traveller from the future, where those 2 same guys are revered as icons, comes back and gives them a time machine in the shape of a phone booth. Our heroes proceed to kidnap famous historical figures for their final expose. This is one of the quintessential 80s movies that was better in my memory than it is now, but still manages to be rather amusing. The main attraction for me this time around was their "most excellent" way of talking, full of slacker-surf lingo of the 80s. Our heroes seem dumb, but they have their hearts in the right place and are somewhat more clever than initially appears. This shows in the complicated words they sometimes use and in how they use the time machine to their advantage in the final part.

The "kidnapping" sequences of the famous historical figures weren't particularly good, nor were those famous people particularly well characterized, at least in the beginning. Most of the sequences with Napoleon were weak and overstayed their welcome. I would have done without him (especially the long waterslide sequence) and also with some lame sequences that really don't work. Not only that but the Napoleon actor obviously didn't really speak French. However, when the famous historical figures start interacting in the present, with the exception of Napoleon, the movie gets way more entertaining. It struck me how the second half was much more fun and inventive than the first, with the exception of Bill and Ted meeting themselves in the first part, that was a great idea. This reminds me that because it tells us outright from the start, you know that things are going to end well. I would have preferred less information so there would be at least some suspense (despite the fact it's a comedy). The special effects aged surprisingly well, even the time travelling parts. In the first half, I thought the movie was somewhat poor with a few snippets of enjoyment, and that perhaps time had altered my perception of it. Thankfully, the better second half, when the famous people get to the present, redeems it and makes it worth watching and not just for nostalgia's sake, although nostalgia does help.

Rating: 6 out of 10 (good)

This movie had huge societital influence.

Author: djdiabolikal from United States
29 November 2007

Any younger person who did't grow up in the late 80's early 90's probably does't realize how this movie effected society as a whole. Whether you loved this movie, hated it, or never even saw it when it came out, there is no denying what it did, especially to advertising. There wasn't a commercial geared toward teens from 1989 till probably 1995 that didn't have a couple or morons talking like Bill & Ted. I can't think of another movie that had such an effect as Bill & Ted's did. Another example of how it became part of social thought, is how many movies or TV shows have you seen spoof the whole "San Demus High School Football rules!" quote have you seen, there are easily dozens. This movie rightfully gets a lot of praise for the fact that it had a moral, and actually taught kids some things about history, my hope is that history looks at this movie as it was; a movie that was goofy on purpose, showed great friendship between two people, taught us a little about history, and change the landscape of pop culture for almost 10 years (something I don't think many movies have done, especially any teen comedies).

Silly, but sincere comedy. WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!

Author: templer_doom (templer_doom@yahoo.co.uk)
24 October 2003

I can recall the feelings of dread whenever I had to take an exam at secondary school in England amongst a group of my peers who always used the highest percentage in an exam as a raison d'etre for intelligence. As we all know, common sense is more important.

BILL AND TED'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE is another one of those sweet little ideas that American cinema expands to great comic effect like FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF did. The concept is simple - two high-school dropouts have to compose a history paper or fail graduation. Enter a guiding light who gives them a time machine and like TIME BANDITS arrive at key points in history to meet the actual figures of their needs and then take them back to the present.

If you're a fan of old-time 70's rock, you will lap up some of the references and as a prelude to the dumb and dumber cinema of the likes of WAYNE'S WORLD and FORREST GUMP, it is always a good bet. Good performances from the leads and great support from George Carlin.

The best time travel movie ever made?

Author: rhanley from Delaware, U.S.A.
30 April 2001

I'm serious!

This movie has lots of things going for it, but little noticed is that its treatment of time travel is superior, for two reasons.

First, it is realistic. I know that probably sounds ridiculous, but the majority of time travel movies fall into contradiction by permitting "changing the past." Only a very small number of movies ("Twelve Monkeys," and its French inspiration, "La Jetee," "The Terminator," "Time After Time," amongst them) avoid this error.

But second, these other movies preserve consistency at the cost of what will seem to fans of "changing the past" to be the main point of time travel. Each involves protagonists who think they can succeed in changing things, and such stories have Oedipal overtones when fate plays itself out. Bill and Ted show us that (consistent) time travel can be used quite deliberately in ways that are advantageous--the sequence with the car keys is simply brilliant! (Unfortunately, having introduced this device for problem-solving, the writers get a bit carried away with it...)

A fun time

Author: FrankBooth_DeLarge from someplace
24 July 2005

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure is really funny, and it is fun to watch. It doesn't require much thinking to watch this, and that's a good thing. It isn't the greatest movie of all time, but it is very funny, and it never becomes real stupid.

This movie follows two teens, Bill & Ted, who have to do a good history project in order to succeed later in life. A man named Rufus(George Carlin) comes to them with a time machine, which is also a phone booth. Bill & Ted go back in time and try to bring some of history's most important people to the future so they can use them in their history project. Not all goes well though, as the historical figures get into some trouble.

The humor in this movie is never dumb, it never becomes raunchy, and it always stays funny.

This is a great way to pass a couple of hours. It's a very entertaining movie that doesn't have a real complex plot. It's just something you sit back and enjoy. I recommend this movie for just about anyone. It has a pretty wide audience, as it never becomes too inappropriate for kids, teens will probably find the antics to be funny, and adults will probably find something good about it. Watch this movie anytime. While it may not be the greatest movie ever made, it's a fun viewing experience.

Page 2 of 19:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]