IMDb > Best of the Best (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

The Best is the Best

Author: Désirée Greverud from Long Beach, CA
14 March 2002

I'm not sure why I liked this movie so much. The plot is just another Rocky derivative and the dialogue rather pedestrian. However, it does have James Earl Jones which is always a plus. Despite the cliché story I still actually cried at the end. I was moved. I felt for these characters, their struggle and their triumph. This movie is a good guilty pleasure. It shouldn't be as enjoyable as it is. Here's to the emotional power of cheese.

A Really Good Martial Arts Movie

Author: mjw2305 from England
16 February 2006

Alex Grady (Eric Roberts) the widowed father of his five-year-old son is chosen to represent the United States of America in a karate tournament against team Korea, where the odds of winning are slim at best. Coached by James Earl Jones and Sally Kirkland the team prepare to meet an unstoppable group of true martial arts experts, and along their journey they have to deal with their personal conflicts and tragedies, before they become a team.

OK the story and script are cheesy, and some of the acting is a little weak, but the sentiment and melodrama is not all misplaced and the martial arts sequences are fantastic, particularly from Eric Roberts and Christopher Penn, who are not trained martial artists.

A must see for martial arts fans, and a good film for everyone.

Indeed

Author: Gothic Vampire from Leeds, England
11 May 1999

Yeah, I mean there will be critics out there who will say, it isn't the greatest acting or dialogue, but the martial arts and the final scene are excellent. Especially from actors such as Eric Roberts and Chris Penn who have had no formal martial arts training. The film is a master piece of martial art cinema, and yes I strongly say it is better than Titanic.

Great movie.....

Author: Dieselis from NYC
10 August 2004

First let me address everyone who knocked this movie, this movie wasn't made to earn Oscars and a host of other accolades, it is what it is. If this sounds vague to you, I'll tell you what it is. It's a great martial arts movie made in the era of Bloodsport, Kickboxer, King of Kickboxers, and such other similar films. For what it is, its a phenomenal movie. Great fight scenes, especially when Phillip Rhee is fighting as well as the Korean team, (the rest of the American team sucked, filled with bad actors like Eric Roberts.. who gives a sh!t about eric roberts, but I digress). Sure it was cheesy but what did you expect, an Oscar award winning movie, no, you go to see this for the mindless fun it gives you, just like Rocky IV that everyone mentioned in the comments, sure story wise Rocky IV wasn't the best, but I love the fights, the training, all of that... Its a fun movie.

This is my all time favorite martial arts movie, along with anything from Sho Kosugi, and Van Damme's Bloodsport and Kickboxer (his other movies sucked the big one). It has great fighting scenes, decent yet predictable story, you like the characters, etc. etc. The sequels however were retarded, how an Olympian Tae Kwon Doe becomes involved in all these crazy adventures in 2,3, and 4 I don't know. I've only seen 2 out of the sequels and refuse to watch 3 and 4. Two was enough.

***UPDATE: I have finally found it on DVD... got it from Best Buy for $15.***

Truly the Best of the Best

Author: Steven Oddi from Essex
13 October 2001

This film shows all the hall-marks of a classic Martial Art flick where, Alex Grady, a down on his luck karate competitor is chosen to be a part of the US National Karate Team. For three months, Alex with four other would be champions must train hard under the watchful eye of Coach Couzo (James Earl Jones). They must be at their peak if they are to beat the masterful team from Korea.

This film has it all, from spectacularly choreographed martial arts to the emotions of human life. The fight scenes at the end our breath taking with the two brothers, Simon and Phillip Rhee, showing the true essence of traditional Tae Kwon Do.

James Earl Jones and Chris Penn add a nice touch of humour throughout the film and the way director, Bob Radler, inter-weaves the stories of the fighters is wonderfully done.

With the unusual twist at the end this film has to be one of the best martial arts films of all time. Apart from some shady acting at times and an 'over the top' fight with Alex at the end, this film is what every martial art fan dreams about.

A definate must even if your not a martial art fan.

A reasonable representation of martial arts as a sport

Author: craigkimball-3 from Australia
3 February 2005

Best of the best is one of those rare movie; a credible and fairly realistic representation of martial arts as a sport. Yes, it is a cheese fest but it's a good one. The characters are likable, the action scenes are brilliantly done and although the story isn't as engaging as it could have been it does work.

The story shows the selection and training of the US and the Korean national karate teams who we know from the start of the movie will face each other in a televised sporting event. All the character development is with the Americans though and this film is essentially about them. While the training and character building are good, and do make you care to some extent about the Americans, the entire movie is really all about the final fights. They are technically brilliant and very well shot. The second to last fight will send tingles down your spine, and the final fight - well, my wife hates this sort of movie but even she was in tears at the end.

I liked this movie a lot. It's in my collection and my advice to anyone who enjoys a good fight film is to give this a chance.

This movie does a great job!

Author: reddawn74 from SA, TX
29 September 2001

This movie does a great job of combining martial arts action and is emotional. I have seen all 4 of the series but I have to say that this one and Best of the Best 2 are my favorites. The third one has a lot of great fight scenes but doesn't have quite the kick without Eric Roberts. All the fight scenes weather compitition or a bar fight are wonderfully done. Eric Roberts fighting is really good but Phillip Rhee fighting is just wonderful to watch. His movements are very clean, fluid and powerful.

There are very strong emotional parts as well that are very well portrayed. I am a huge martial arts fan and have been for many years. So if you want a movie that has good acting. great fight scenes and has a tear jerking emotional feel to it, this is a great movie.

The greatest ever

Author: pythonpower83 from Belgium
30 November 2005

I've seen lots of comment on this movie but this is my all time favorite. The first time I saw the movie I was 7 years old I'm 23 now and last week I saw him for the 58the time. I admit, the screenplay becomes old fashion after all those years but it's the greatest taekwondo-movie ever made!!! Everybody talks about the karate movie, OK, it's the "US karate-team" but the main fights are taekwondo-style, with a little bit of hapkido in it. Especially the true taekwondo battle between the rhee brothers at the end, I'm a taekwondo-member myself and what they 'fake' is very difficult, ever harder than a real fight. And too all the people here who think this movie is't worth rating high, try those kicks yourselves, trust me,it's hard, even without opponent! Best of the best rules!!!

One of the best American martial arts movies of all time

Author: cutgrass from England
24 November 2000

I bought this film 10 years ago and have pretty much worn out the tape now. There's not alot of films I watch this much but this one really is good. If you appreciate the martial arts you will love this film - OK it over does things on the cheese front - but this just adds to the enjoyment of the movie (provided you have a sense of humour that is). Rocky for the martial arts generation.

Good martial arts flick

Author: Jsimpson5 from United States
17 December 2006

The 80's had some good martial arts movies, and some bad ones (really bad ones), this movie is a good one. While yes it does suffer some of the typical things in a martial arts flick, one lines, bad jokes, and some great fight scenes. The US tournament, the bar fight, and the match against the Koreans were all preformed very well.

I'm a martial artist myself, who goes to tournaments, and trains as well. The training scenes are done very well, and James Earl Jones who I must saw is a wonderful actor does a good job as the coach. The coach at first is a old school type coach (Tough training and very strict), who seem to have a softer side, when he learns that the team members need Tommy and Alex to win.

Overall a good movie, that any body can enjoy and or relate to if they have had a coach who was tough.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]