IMDb > Back to the Future Part II (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Back to the Future Part II

Back to the Future Part II More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 35: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Not as good as the first but still a pretty solid effort.

Author: ofpsmith from United States
3 January 2015

I'm writing this in 2015. And that is one of the years that Marty McFly (Michael J Fox) and Dr. Emmett Brown (Christopher Lee) go to in this movie. Back to the Future Part 2 was a good effort to follow up to the success of the first film. In this film Marty and Doc go to 2015, where they see flying cars, self lacing shoes, and all kinds of stuff like that. Well I'm looking out the window right now and I don't see that. But anyways old Biff Tannen (Thomas F Wilson) goes back to 1955 after stealing the DeLorean time machine and causes major problems to the time line. Therefore Marty and Doc have to go back to 1955 to fix all of it. It's really hard to explain but when you watch the film it makes more sense. This Back to the Future film relies more on the suspense element as it gets into the second half. Even though they were wrong about many of the predictions (I'm looking out my window again just to clarify) this is still a good movie so give it a watch.

Everything you could ask for in a sequel to one of the best films of the '80s.

Author: BA_Harrison from Hampshire, England
4 December 2010

Way back in '89, I took the back-lot tour around Universal Studios in LA, during which I spied several futuristic looking vehicles from the upcoming sequel to Back To The Future; to say I was excited would be an understatement. However, I was also a little nervous: after all, just how do you top a 10/10 classic like the 1985 original? The answer: you can't (11/10 doesn't make much sense, does it?)—but you can MATCH it in terms of entertainment value, which is precisely what director Robert Zemeckis and Co. succeed in doing.

With many of the original movie's cast reprising their roles (sadly no Crispin Glover or Claudia Wells, but Elisabeth Shue as the replacement Jennifer is more than welcome in my books), awesome special effects from ILM (even today, the hover boards and flying cars look great), a wonderfully inventive plot that'll leave you scratching your head trying to figure out the paradoxical possibilities, and loads of clever visual jokes, Back To The Future Part II is brilliant stuff from start to finish—and that's not even taking into account the added unintentional fun that can be had from the inaccuracy of the film's predictions for the future (unless technology advances a lot in the next five years, I doubt we'll be seeing auto-drying jackets by 2015).

#2 Outdoes 1!

Author: Hollywood_Yoda from Outside Hollywood
6 November 2010

In the sequel to Back to the Future, Marty, Doc and Jennifer travel into the future to save their children. However, the usual happens: Jennifer asks too many questions and is knocked out! The beginning scene of BTTF2 is parodied in the Family Guy episode (The Courtship of Stewie's Father) and makes the scene very memorable and that much more watchable!

The future, as seen through the eyes of Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale is a powerful one, indeed. "Jaws 19" is released! And flying cars are the new wave of technology, and everyone has them! The year is 2015!! Five years from now, and yet, nowhere in sight.

When Marty buys a sports almanac, accidents happen, time travel occurs and the ripple effect almost destroys the space-time continuum. Biff Tannen ends up married to Marty's mother, and the most powerful man in Hill Valley (with his own casino). To fix the time-line and restore reality for Marty and Doc, they must travel back to 1955, where Marty was in Back to the Future.

This is the best installment of the series, and the best of the past, the present and the future.

McFly!

Author: Fields201 from United States
27 October 2010

Sometimes sequels don't always work out. In the case of Back to the Future 2, it works in some levels, but the recycled ideas of the original is an obvious case of either fan service, or The Bobs didn't know exactly where to go with this one. I can tell you one thing, though, that as a kid I was anxiously awaiting this film, and I remember being so excited at the theater with my dad. I remember rushing home excitedly to tell my mom about how great it was. Oh, the simple minds of youth.

The film takes place exactly where the first one left off, but reenacted so it doesn't quite play exactly like the end of the first film but it worked enough. The destination is immediately in the year 2015, with Marty, Doc and Jennifer flying in the Delorean in a traffic of speeding, flying cars. Jennifer starts to ask questions and Doc immediately knocks her out with some spray. In all actuality, this is a way to get Jennifer out of the film for time being as The Bobs couldn't come up with a good storyline for her. However, I give them credit, because what happens later was a very good scene.

Basically Marty has to take the role of one of kids' in the future to not participate in Griff's gang (Griff is the son of Biff, but who he conceived him with is never explained). I guess Marty Jr. winds up in jail, his sister bails him out and they both spend like twenty years in the slammer. Now how this effects Marty, I don't know. Wouldn't it be easier for Doc to say, I don't know, look Marty up like Marty asked him to and warn him about his son's participation? Wouldn't that be easier than to nab Marty in the present just to wind up being chased by Griff and his gang?

Remember how I said it used recycled ideas from the first one? Yeah, that's the hoverboard sequence. I mean, almost scene by scene is nearly an exact replica of the first film. I like the fact that the hoverboards can't go over water, but wouldn't that make Marty sink into the pool? Anyway, the bullies fly in the air and through the building and somehow this gets them arrested. I don't see how. People get arrested for accidents in 2015? While I'm at it, when did Marty get so upset from being called chicken? I know it's a plot device but that really came out of nowhere. Oh well.

My biggest problem with 2015 is even though I like the ideas that was put into it, I certainly didn't like the how it was written. Besides the obvious strange plot devices, it just seemed to me that the performances felt forced, as if they were trying harder to be funny. I'm not going to lie, though, that one of the better scenes in the film was when Jennifer was sneaking through her future home. My favorite scene here is when Marty's Asian boss yells out, "MCFLY!" Definitely the best scene in the movie, and perhaps my favorite of the whole series. Too funny.

The filmmakers must acknowledged that the whole "something's gotta be done about your kids" plot was a little too out there, so it focused on older Biff giving a sports almanac to younger Biff. This is what altered 1985, because somehow older Biff knew how to operate a time machine and go back to any year he wanted as if everyone knew how to operate a time machine. Anyway, the alternate 1985 was a little too over the top, but I really did enjoy the scenes in Biff's home and how he tries to murder Marty. It separated itself from the rest of the series and really showed the filmmakers were going for something different.

The 1955 stuff, well.... it's basically a total rehash of the first Back to the Future. I did enjoy these scenes, especially watching Marty trying to get back the almanac from Biff which created a pretty tense scene between Biff in his car and Marty on his hoverboard. However, Doc's car being struck by lightning without going 88 miles per hour was something of an orthodox. If that was the case, then in the first film why didn't Marty just wait at the street light where the lightning struck rather then going 88 miles per hour if the lightning could send him home anyway? I know The Bobs explained, but it's still a plot hole.

Back to the Future 2 is still a worthy sequel but it doesn't pack the same punch of the first film. I can watch the first film over and over again, as it has the right pace and the story was told wonderfully. I wish the same could be said about the sequel, but it's better than most sequels out there.

The perfect sequel to the perfect movie

Author: Neil Welch from United Kingdom
15 October 2010

I thought BTTF did it all so well, then along comes BTTF2 and tops it.

The time travel story is as good, if not better, and takes in a third time zone.

There is more playing with the topography of the Town Square, and Biff chasing Marty (or variations thereof).

There is the delight of the main actors playing multiple versions of themselves.

There is the even greater delight of the events of the second film being played out against the background of the events of the first film.

The effects are as good, and include some amazing pre-digital physical interactions between different iterations of the same character.

The only flaw in this movie is that, being the first part of a two-part ending to the trilogy, there is no ending.

And now I cast my vote for Elizabeth Shue's head being pasted digitally over Claudia Wells' in part 1!

Great sequel to a great film!

Author: Green_Saturn from United States
24 September 2010

Though fully understanding the entire concept of time travel that this movie follows is a little harder now that they jump around so much, this movie was GOOD. Or, to put it as I originally thought: beastin'.

There's a lot more humor in this one than in the first. Watching this from a 2010 perspective, some of the humor in 2015 came from "Haha they thought we'd have flying cars!" But a lot of it was irony and simply just very good writing. And good acting.

A very, VERY satisfying sequel that pumps you up for the final of the three movies. I literally have it out of its case ready to pop in the computer.

Michael J. Fox did an absolutely perfect job in this movie. You couldn't ask for more. I had to pause the movie several times because i couldn't hear the dialogue over my laughing. (most notably.. principal: "You've got three seconds to get off my property with your nuts intact. One!" Marty: "Wait, I just want to know what's going on!" principal: "Two." Marty: "AHHHHH!" Lol. His face is classic.)

It's probably a good idea to see the first one before this one, but you can still keep up if you haven't. If this was a cake I'd say it's delicious. And the soundtrack was better in this one, too!

BTW Marty McFly is NOT a butt head. Or a chicken.

Sci-fi going BACK!

Author: anchoreddown from United States
11 September 2010

It had been five years since the release of Back To The Future. In the summer of 1988, it was still very much part of the 80s way of movies. Universal came to Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale wanting to do two more films.

The original draft of the second film would be sending Marty Mcfly and the Delorean time machine back to the 60s. However, reviewing the work, Zemeckis realized it would not work.

It became apparent to the writers that making a sequel to Back To The Future would take some serious time and effort. As soon as Who Framed Roger Rabbit? was complete and in theaters, Zemeckis and Gale began writing.

Deciding to go into the future, the two writers decided to make the future a happy place because they felt that the future was way too often mispredicted. Not only this, but they spend time consulting with Rick Carter, the production designer on what the 'future' should look like.

The rest of the film is a bit of an overlap. Marty Mcfly goes back to 1955 to prevent Biff Tannen from monopolizing Hill Valley. Every little detail was exactly the same, right down to the positioning of the actors.

What makes Back To The Future Part II so unique is that you get to see parts of the first film from the prospective of another character. This had not been done in Hollywood before in a sequel.

The other major part of the film is the vista glide that was used to create the dinner sequence in 2015 with Michael J. Fox ending up in three places at once for the final take. Other similar shots were simply done by cutting the film in half for scenes with two Biffs and two Doc Brown's.

Back To The Future Part II takes the storyline to the next level in time travel giving the audience the chance to see what happens when there's a ripple effect in a time line.

A number of the techniques used in the film give film-makers today the technology they need to create bigger and better special effects. Thus, the sequel made history.

It can't beat the original, but it is one of the best sequels ever

Author: wwe7961 from United States
6 August 2010

In 1985 a film called Back to the Future came to theaters. It was a fantastic movie that combined many different genres together to make one fantastic piece of 80's cinema. The sequel doesn't completely match the charm of the original, but it's still a very charming film. A lot of the charm that the original had more of is made up for by the fact that the movie goes back to the events of the first film. This makes us see the film we watched in 1985 in different points of view. The future world they create is also very interesting, and had very strong visuals for the time. One of my favorite scenes is when Marty goes into Cafe 80's, and elements of the 80's like Nintendo, Micheal Jackson, and Ronald Regan are everywhere. Back to the Future 2 isn't as good as the original, but is an excellent example of how to make a sequel.

4 stars out of 4

it throws probability out the window in favor of more gadgets and plot complications...and amazingly comes off as almost as exciting as the original

Author: TheUnknown837-1 from United States
17 June 2010

"Back to the Future: Part II" is an exhilarating sequel to a modern-day classic. Throwing out all sense of believability and probability in favor of making it zanier and more random than its marvelously-plotted predecessor, remarkably, it comes across as almost as equally entertaining. Picking up where the first film left off, Marty (Michael J. Fox) and Doc Brown (Christopher Lloyd) travel forward in time in order to correct tragic future events, all the while becoming more and more aware of the dangers of time travel. Their fears turn to reality when, in the future, an elderly Biff (Thomas F. Wilson) steals the Flux Capacitor-equipped DeLorean and adjusts his own past to make an alternative reality in which he rules in a dystopian dictatorship. When discovering what happens, it is up to Marty to once again travel to 1955, avoid ruining what he fixed the first time, and correcting things for the future. It sounds complicated, but that's only because it is.

"Part II" and the third sequel in this Robert Zemeckis trilogy are liable to disappoint a fair percentage of people, especially if they are admirers of the original. The first "Back to the Future" is one of Robert Zemeckis's masterpieces, using a plethora of imaginative plot elements that are now conventions, and using first-class storytelling to make a very sweet, and (rare for a science-fiction film) touching opus. "Part II" assumes the same visual style and imagination, but instead throws the sweeter elements out the window in favor of more gadgets, more monologues from Doc, more complications in the plot, and more kinetic energy. Despite all of this, however, it comes off as very exhilarating. "Part II" is really an old-fashioned sort of time-travel movie, but is done with such zest and excitement as only a director of Zemeckis's level can give us that it puts you on the edge of your seat.

I will admit, the first half-hour of the movie, the look into the far future, didn't quite ring my bell and I was a bit apprehensive. But once the plot of Biff stealing the time machine and altering the course of events comes into place, the film really picks up the tempo and keeps on going all the way until its daredevil culmination. It does not measure up to the original film, but it is very exciting and certainly more fun than the disappointing "Back to the Future: Part III."

Better and visually superior than the first.

Author: Vivekmaru45 from Kenya
8 June 2010

Hard-working Robert Zemeckis proves himself yet again. I consider him the greatest director of all time, even better than Spielberg.

Continues where the first one left off.

Doc Brown tells Marty McFly that he must go back to future to prevent his son from being an accomplice to a robbery. The plan is to pose as his son and say no to Griff Tannen (grandson to Biff Tannen).

Unfortunately, things get worse when the almanac Marty buys at an antique store falls into the hands of Biff. Biff sneaks into the time machine and travels back in time to his younger self in 1955 and hands him the almanac and warns him of a visit from Marty and to keep the almanac in a safe.

Marty returns back to his time in 1985 and is horrified that it has been altered by Biff.

Will Marty be able to recover the almanac from Biff and restore time as it was before? Watch the film to find out how.

Heart-thumping background musical score, excellent photography and special-effects, and an interesting plot make the sequel even better than the original.