IMDb > Babycakes (1989) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Babycakes (TV) More at IMDbPro »

love doesn't just happen to the "beautiful" people

Author: Anya1976 from Chicago
21 April 2004

This is one of my fave TV movies. I saw it when i was young and loved it because it does tell people to not judge a book by it's cover.

I am older and still love this movie. I got this DVD as a present from a friend and i almost cried because he knew how much i loved this movie.

It's a story of a "fat" girl who does what everyone thinks she can't. Get a hot guy. She proves them all wrong. She can and WILL get the guy. And she does. I think more people need to look on the inside of people rather than outer appearances. Looks will fade but a beautiful soul never does. And like this movie that message will stand the test of time.

Nice movie with an unfinished feel to it

Author: dwr246 from United States
6 July 2005

I have mixed feelings about this movie. On the one hand, I love to see the underdog win, especially as she is portrayed in this movie. On the other, the movie rushes to a close that leaves many loose ends, and ultimately makes some of the action seem a bit immoral.

Grace (Ricki Lake) is the overweight daughter of widowed Al (John Karlen). As the movie opens, Al is marrying Wanda (Betty Buckley), a woman who seems to delight in talking about Grace's weight problem in euphemistic terms. Al seems oblivious to how hurtful his new wife is to his daughter. Grace works as a make up artist for a funeral home, an irony which is not lost on her. On her commute to and from work every day, she sees a handsome subway conductor (Craig Sheffer), whom she pines after. In spite of all the unpleasantry in her life, and a best friend, Keri (Nada Despotovich), who is doom and gloom personified, Grace has a surprising upbeat attitude about life. As the holidays approach, she decides it's time to make some positive changes in her life, looking into becoming a cosmetologist, and deciding it is time to meet the subway conductor that she dreams of. His name turns out to be Rob, and the audience knows before Grace does that he is unhappily engaged to a rather pushy woman named Olivia (Cynthia Dale). While Olivia is out of town, Grace puts her plan to meet Rob into action, with hilarious, touching, and ultimately humiliating results. Can Grace pick up the pieces and go on with her life? Can Rob actually marry Olivia? Or will fate throw them together after all?

The biggest problem I have with this movie is that it completely ignores the issue that Grace is attempting to snare a man that is already taken. Granted, Grace doesn't know this at first, but when she finds out, she doesn't seem to care. Her attitude is that she will enjoy her time with him, and not worry about tomorrow, thus when tomorrow comes crashing in in the form of a very angry Olivia, I was more inclined to say "I told you so" to Grace than to comfort her. Likewise, I needed to see more of Rob working himself up to getting out of his relationship with Olivia. He just suddenly changes his mind, and shows up at the end of the movie asking to be with Grace, which is hard to swallow, even though the audiences wants to see them together. Finally, I can't imagine why Grace values Keri's friendship. Keri forces her to choose between friends, and then betrays Grace. Odd behavior from someone who is supposed to be your most trusted confidant. All of it added up to a somewhat unbelievable plot, which could have been fixed with a minimal amount of effort. Things might have worked better if Grace hadn't discovered Rob was engaged until she actually met his fiancé. And it definitely would have worked better if we had seen a scene where Rob finally tells Olivia that he wants nothing to do with her anymore, before going to tell Grace he wants to be with her, and really having to convince her to take him.

The acting is a mixed bag. Lake does a nice job with Grace, although this is a similar character to Tracy in Hairspray. She contrasts Grace's sunny optimism very nicely with the difficulties she has with her family. Karlen and Buckley struggle to rise above bad material, but don't quite get there. Sheffer merely comes off as confused and unsure, while both Despotovich and Dale bristle with believable malice.

I very much enjoy seeing the underdog have her day, and this is an underdog you can't help liking. But there is much that needs fixing in this movie, and the fixes are so easy that you wonder why somebody didn't catch them in the first place. So, enjoy the movie. Celebrate the triumph of this underdog, just ignore the lack of depth to the story.

Great Offbeat Comedy!!!

Author: menaka
18 January 2002

Very sweet movie,plot is very basic..girl gets boy,girl loses boy..but what makes the story unique is the fact that the heroine is an overweight mortuary cosmetician and Prince Charming works in the subway.The characters aren't glamorous nor the story particularly thrilling but the chemistry between Lake and Sheffer is lovely and the story is told with such wit and sincerity that you have to like it!!!

Sweet

Author: Monika-5 from United States
13 February 2000

I thought this movie was sweet, and one of the few projects Ricki Lake appeared in that she can be proud of. This movie shows how not to judge a book by it's cover, and that you can love someone and be loved back no matter what size you are or what you look like. A sweet, gentle romantic comedy with a fine script and good acting.

great movie

Author: a h from usa
18 August 2001

great movie for dreamers out to get the person of their dreams. Rob is a real hunk and sex-pot who can turn any girl on, and make her want to believe that she can get whoever she wants. A real dream-come-true movie with a great ending that makes you feel great, and will give you the courage to pursue your dream (or dream-person).

Babycakes

Author: feffler from Canada
24 March 2005

What can I say Babycakes is a feel good movie.I love all of Ricky Lake's work.She has a tendency to act in all these types of movies.I never get bored of watching them.Babycakes is a warmly romantic movie that shows the size of a person does not matter. True love can be found.Love does not recognize size but the person within.I recommend watching this, and all her movies you won't be disappointed.A real love story that is down to earth.People with blue collar jobs trying to live in the real world.Love is found and felt by this couple.This movie is about a woman named Grace who wants to prove to her stepmother that she can get a boyfriend by bringing Rob home for dinner.Not only is Rob attractive,he is also very sensitive.Rob is also confused on his own relationship with his girlfriend.Grace opens his eyes to what is important.The bottom line is Rob and Grace,not what everyone else thinks.

Yay!

Author: gilbynziggy (gilbynziggy@yahoo.com) from Sumner, Iowa USA
7 March 2005

I have this movie taped from the early 90's off of the lifetime channel, before lifetime became as pathetic as it now is. This movie rocks! it is a definite favorite of mine. It is heartwarming, charming, and hilarious. my best friends are all like the character of keri! but more importantly, Ricki Lake is so great! she plays the role of a lonely twenty-something so well! and it strikes a nerve for anyone that is fat and has had troubles getting the perfect guy to notice you. it is a true picture of what some people will do (i.e. me) in times of desperation! It's funny at the same time. such as the cute way ricki continually bumbles around is clumsy. i guess that might just be part of the role, however, it really makes me giggle and take awe. my boyfriend and i cuddle up and watch this movie a lot during the winter, it is a great blizzard movie! make some s'mores and get some cocoa, this movie will match the warmth you start feeling! the character of rob, played by the very beautiful craig sheffer, is a fun thing too. he's a very charming person, and it's so good that grace ends up getting a guy like rob and not someone like olivia!

Better than the usual TV movie

Author: George Mussman (GEM-20) from Washington State
6 September 1999

"Babycakes" is the story of a girl who thought she was an ugly-duckling, and wants to get the most handsome guy she has ever seen (Craig Sheffer, a few years before "A River Runs Through It"). At first put off by her weight, he learns to like her and finds that there is more to her than simply girth.

Ricki Lake is very appealing in this movie. Sure, she was fat, but that only adds to her appeal. I thought she was very attractive in "Babycakes" and this film certainly adds to the message that big women are desirable people too.

Seeing her now only makes me wish she looked like she did in "Babycakes".

I recommend this small movie, especially if you are a romantic. George

Great and Touching. Better than you think!

Author: Old70115 from United States
2 July 2004

Rikki Lake proves to be a great and touching actress. She proved she was funny in "Hair Spray" but proves she could make us cry! In this movie she plays a young woman who works in the morge! Not a happy place. Her best friend is a "world in ending" type. In this Love seems to be in the air for everyone! Its the holidays and everyone seems to be in love. Now working in the morge doesn't make life any rosier! After her dad gets married she lies about having a boyfriend and she gets a little depressed. Later on before she knows it she is smitten with a man that drives a train! She then will do anything to get a date from him! The co-stars in this movie are all great in the roles they play! Betty Buckley is just perfect!

A must see!

Can you believe that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder?

Author: Michael O'Keefe from Muskogee OK
3 May 2003

No great shakes, but a real nice light romantic comedy. Paul Schneider directs this off beat story of an overly plump cosmetician(Ricki Lake) falling in love with a solidly built subway conductor(Craig Sheffer) who happens to already be spoken for. He is more than willing to spend part of the Christmas season with her while his fiancee is out of town. Are his feelings for real or just pity? There is that little something about this movie that makes you take inventory of your own insecurity and doubts.