84C MoPic (1989) Poster

(1989)

LRRP Team with tag along Motion Picture team goes on recon mission
ripcords12 April 2006
As a former LRRP myself (LRSU it is now called) I was ecstatic to find this movie when it first came out as it wasn't highly budgeted nor widely released. The movie hits very authentic notes about LRRP teams except for the fact that they talk a heck of a lot more than any real LRRP team would in the filed (but then again, you wouldn't have much of a movie if they didn't talk). the attention to detail is very good, from calling in arty missions on a discovered enemy base camp to doing the damage assessment after it. The morale and esprit do corps of recon teams is shown very well here. If you are interested at all in small unit missions, this is at the top of the short list!
16 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Low Budget, Great Movie
Bayjohn16 February 1999
Despite the obvious low budget, this film is definitely worth watching. The unknown actors are superb with the materials and situations they are given and make the reality of the Vietnam War come through in a very real fashion. In terms of scale, this is no "Saving Private Ryan", but it does have the same dramatic impact on the viewer. Highly Recommended!
13 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of those Sundance gems
oldskibum216 March 2001
Much of the credit for the genuine feel of this film should go to two former Marines who had "been there, done that": Russ Thurman and Dale Dye. Dye's method of running the actors through a mini-boot camp helps raise this film to the level of "Platoon" and "Saving Private Ryan", his more widely-known achievements. Seen largely through the eyes (or lens) of the handheld camera of the mostly-unseen "Mopic", it gives viewers a different perspective on bonding that happens when men put their lives into each other's hands almost daily. Its ring of truth comes from endless tiny details that only former grunts would ever notice. When someone asks this former Marine which are the best Viet Nam films, "84 Charlie MoPic" and "The Odd Angry Shot" are at the top of a very short list.
13 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Surprisingly good Vietnam picture
davethorne70023 August 2002
Vietnam war film shot in 1st person POV. It really works and you feel that you are right there with the platoon who are on a recon mission in the jungle bush of Vietnam. This effort is surprisingly good and is more gritty and realistic than most war movies out there (not mentioning a few big budget titles). The acting is top notch and the original way it was filmed (over 10 years before Blair Witch) makes this one a gem to own in your vhs/dvd collection. I liked this film a lot and highly recommend it to any fan of 'Nam titles.
15 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Unique and powerful
LtCol_Kilgore5 January 2002
This is a unique film. It not only is filmed from a first person POV, but it didn't glamourize war as even humanist films do. There is not too much action yet the film is still fascinating. Instead, the film features what soldiers do in between all the glamourized gunfights. The soldiers camp out, quietly hike, interact and create tension amongst each other and also grow closer, scout out Vietcong positions, and talk about home. This is the most realistic depiction of Vietnam missions in film. The action is mostly incoherent, making it more realistic. There isn't any plagarized, motivating score (Pearl Harbor) set to dozens of soldiers running in slow motion. There are a few gunshots out of the jungle and a man goes down. THe film is emotional and powerful, a great war film.

8/10 or ***1/2 stars out of ****
18 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent movie - true to life at that time
Allen Freeman16 October 2005
I have never seen another movie presented in this way. The closest film presentation, similar to this, I can remember seeing before is the "You Are There" series, with Walter Cronkite, that we used to see in school during the 50's and 60's. I liked those and I liked this. I personally think this is a tremendously underrated film. In addition, this movie happens to be about my old unit (An Khe-1969). Many of the experiences presented are similar to what my experiences were at that time. This film paints a realistic picture of one segment of the war in Vietnam, and it is NOT a pretty picture. But, it very effectively demonstrates the closeness that develops among men in combat as well as the fear and drabness we lived with. It would probably be a good demonstration film for new military servicemen. I was cast back to that time. It was effectively presented and very well acted. The technical adviser did well because I saw no errors in techniques and equipment. If you want to see what recon could be like, see this film.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Best Small Unit Warfare Movie Ever
Alex-37229 March 2003
84 Charlie Mopic (84C Mopic) is the best movie ever made about small unit warfare. If that's what you're into, you're golden with this mock documentary about a LRRP/Ranger unit. A cast of unknown actors (Richard Brooks of Law & Order, Glenn Morshower of CSI, Christopher Burgard, Nicholas Gascone) generate extraordinary performances.

The difference with other movies is that it gives a lot of attention to the detail of going on a small 5 man, 5 day mission as the LRRPs did. There is a lot of attention paid to noise discipline, and when enemy shots ring out, you have to work out for yourself from where. The enemy is seen up close only once in this movie.

There is no heavy handed treatment of "politics" as in Hamburger Hill, no lots of nonsense like in Platoon, just five (seven) guys who are thrown together and have a job to do, and hopefully come through alive.

If you like it, you may also like Sniper, with Tom Berenger and Billy Zane.
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One Of The Best Movies About Vietnam
carol-16023 May 2005
This low-budget movie packs a maximum impact. The cast of no-names eliminates the predisposition to the glorification of war associated with many big name "war" actors. I have rarely seen a film about small-unit dynamics as well done. Every part is well-acted. Of interest are the relationships between the draftees, the enlisted lifer, and the opportunistic Lieutenant. The tension, confusion, and boredom of combat operations is captured in excruciating yet tender detail. The film conveys a good sense of the terrible waste of the Vietnam war. This movie is down, dirty, and real. If you are a war film buff, this one is a must see!
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Better than the Blair Witch Project
lot4914 August 1999
This 1989 mockumentary employs a simple premise: a combat photographer known as "Mopic" (Byron Thames) accompanies an infantry squad on a patrol during the Vietnam War. We see the story through Mopic's lens. (Except for the POV, it's similar to the second half of "Full Metal Jacket.") The soldiers are often scared, frustrated and fatigued. They are trying to reach a village where a helicopter can take them out of the jungle, but they are delayed by the Viet Cong. The enemy is an unseen, menacing presence in the jungle -- until a Viet Cong soldier is captured. The actors were unknown in 1989, but Richard Brooks would later play Assistant District Attorney Paul Robinette in "Law and Order."
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Realistic depiction of American patrol on Vietnam
kiph-220 December 2000
Comparing this with my other favorite war movie, MASH, I'd call them both "naturalistic." They show humor and horror side by side, long stretches of tedium and short bursts of terror, without relying on an artificial plot or stereotyped characters. But 84 Charlie MoPic is much more realistic.

I was not in combat or in Vietnam, but I was in the Army at that time. Several of my Army friends had jobs making films exactly as shown in 84 Charlie MoPic. This is as accurate a picture of an American combat soldier's experience in Vietnam as any I can imagine. The first time I saw it, I was totally taken in, thought it was an actual documentary until the very end.

Incidentally, 84C or 84 Charlie is (or was) the code for the "military occupational specialty" of Motion Picture Specialist.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Amazing infantry movie
bfishbine12 July 2006
When I first watched this film I was in the 82nd at the time. It looked like an Army uncut documentary. My friends and I watched it several times looking for errors. The only error we could find (and it was a stretch) was the helicopter in the final scene had modified landing skids that were not developed till later. That helo also had a red checklist that probably would not have been used.

The boots were tied right and worn-out in the right places. The rucks were heavy and carried like people who did that a lot. They wore their equipment right and each had the fitness level of an infantryman. The short-timer caught the spirit of what it meant to be short. Our short timers said the same stupid comments. "I'm so short I could halo off a dime" is funny the first time you hear it, not the 50th.

Every squad seems to have the same people in it. This movie captured that to a "T." They talked way to much for a LRRP unit but it makes sense if you put grunts in front of a camera.

Hands down one of the most realistic war movies ever made. In subtle ways this captures what it is like to be a grunt.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
For training purposes, a camera is taken on a "routine" patrol in Viet Nam
bux9 October 1998
Sit down in front of the screen and see the Viet Nam war the way it REALLY was. A grim, gripping story of a 'routine' scouting patrol in the jungles of Southeast Asia. Sure there are the stereotypes, but here they only serve to examine the divided loyalties and strange bed fellows created by an un-popular war. The cast of virtual unknowns add to the reality, and they handle the acting chores flawlessly. This one is not for the squeamish, or those prone to RVN flash-backs!
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Engrossing War Film
gooseman121 April 2005
The acting is first rate, with Richard Brooks delivering the the goods as OD, the defacto leader of this group of recon soldiers.

The first person perspective throughout the movie adds to the impact and lends a realism that conventional cinematography wouldn't have been able to pull off.

The violence (it IS a war movie) is very realistic and disconcerting, which further involves the viewer in the movie. Moreso, this movie investigates the personal dynamics of the group of soldiers, set into the horror of the situation.

In retrospect, the story and characters are really nothing you've not already seen. The stereotypical archetypes are represented, the redneck, the scared short-timer, etc, but while you watch this movie, the combination of a documentary style filming and first person perspective, combine to make this film feel new and refreshing. Granted "Blair Witch" had a similar feel, but this pre-dated that film by 10 years and pre-dated "The Last Broadcast" (from which the "Blair Witch" was nicked) by 9 years.

If you can find a copy of this film. Settle in, crank it up and immerse yourself in it. It isn't the same as "the real thing": it isn't even close, nothing is. But it does let you glimpse into the world, without the fake slo-mo sequences, mood enhancing soundtrack, and trappings that separate you from "real life", and you can actually almost believe this IS a documentary.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Mo' Pic for your money
philipt-38 January 2001
This "mockumentary" was a forerunner to films like The Blair Witch project, and the tension and fear that the soldiers feel, trapped behind enemy lines with a broken radio and a dead comrades body, is a lot more believable than that felt by those three annoying kids running away from things that go "bump" in the night. You really do get a feel for what it must have been like. When the group are ambushed, you hear the gunshots, and the screams, but you just can't see where the enemy are. It must of been hell, getting shot at but not knowing where it was coming from.

The cast of relative unknowns really impresses, especially Nicholas Cascone as "Easy" ("soon to be promoted to PFC: Private F***ing Civilian") and Richard Brooks as "OD", the group's black leader.

The spirit of camraderie and brotherhood echoes strongly throughout this film, exemplified by scenes such as the one where Sgt. "Cracker", a self confessed redneck, is interviewed by the "Lessons Learnt" crew and is asked: "Coming from South Carolina, how do you feel about being led by a black man?". After a strained silence he answers: "Those are real-world questions. They don't have any place here in the Nam. Why don't you ask if OD is the best damn GI I have ever humped a ruck with, or if I would risk my life for him, and I have, or if he would risk his life for me, and he has. Those are the kind of questions you should be asking."

The action is interspersed with long periods of waiting, boredom, and contemplation. The futility of their mission, and indeed the entire war, is brought to the fore. They feel distanced from their loved ones, and long for some time "in the rear with the gear", away from the front lines, which are plagued by a shadow-like enemy and viciously effective booby-traps, not to mention the seemingly endless nights, when trees move just like Charlie.

This movie is recommended not only to War flick fans, but to anybody interested in seeing how a pseudo-documentary should really be made.

7 out of 10
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Probably the most realistic of all the Viet Nam movies
rdylla14 October 2006
As a Viet Nam veteran, I saw this movie on cable approximately 1 year after it was made. I was actually under the impression that this film was a documentary and not a movie. The realism and events were common place in "NAM". Not for the faint of heart. The film depicts a LRRP ( Long Range Reconisance Patrol) on one of its missions. It very vividly describes the terrain, problems, booby traps and other adverse conditions met by our troops during the Viet Nam Campaign. It also informs the viewer of some of the tactics used by the Viet Cong, the North Vietnamese Army and the U.S Forces during this war. It brings the thoughts, emotions and feelings of the patrols members as events occur during this patrol.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A solid effort
bluebottle122 July 2005
As I recall, this was one of those movies that probably deserved a great deal more exposure than what it really got. It's timing was unfortunate. It came along on the heels of "Platoon" and "Full Metal Jacket" and even "Good Morning, Vietnam," so the various views of the Vietnam conflict had largely been done to death in the space of a few years and by much higher profile and higher budget filmmakers. The U.S. went from ignoring the conflict to a nationwide confession of guilt in the space of a year or so. Anyway, this was a good effort. It's low budget, but worthwhile, and, as the previous poster noted, the technique was the "first person" sort used in "Blair Witch" but done many years before that movie ever appeared.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Blair Witch Project sett ed in the Vietnam War?
kind of, assuming this movie is way way better and 10 years younger. I made this trailer with some of the lines of the movie and best scenes also. Impressive performance by unknown actors in this low-budget Vietnam drama. This movie actually is a great masterpiece.The story is being told in the form of a documentary, bringing you to the deep jungle of the Vietnam conflict.The immersion is so effective that is the closest experience you can get of a real patrol inside Nam-war era. The minors details of the guerrilla highlight by Patrick Duncan, the director, make he movie even more realistic.

TRAILER 720p(upscaled) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrc3U4X2aZ0
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
unflinching in its style, talky, captivating, shocking, human
MisterWhiplash30 August 2010
Watching 84 Charlie MoPic right after watching Rambo: First Blood Part II is like watching a difference between a Republican and a Democrat. You get to see all of the mindless, brawny stuff, the nonsense and the mayhem, and in the end everything is supposed to turn out alright when it really shouldn't. Then you get to see some sensibility, compassion, understanding, and there's still a tough quality when it's there and not hidden behind the speeches. It's a fascinating experiment to do if you're into movies in general, or have seen neither one particularly. Ultimately, MoPic won the double feature in terms of quality and durability, albeit with a smaller budget and sometimes a little *too* much on its mind. Neither film reinvents the wheel (and naturally Rambo blew maybe too many up to count), but with Patrick Duncan's film he gets to the heart and soul of what is best about these guys in combat: soldiers just making their way, some harder asses than others, who all just want to find a way home. Sadly, Rambo's home *is* the jungle, but that's for another review.

One can tell the film is low-budget, if nothing else, because of the lack of action. It's possible that the director might have been tempted to up the ante if he had more to work with, or bigger-name stars. But as with other under-the-radar "B movies" about war, less can be more depending on the script and the actors given. No one is really too recognizable here (some actors went on to do TV, others didn't, they were all fresh faces to me), and that adds to the believability. No one is an action hero, and some are just scared so much you can feel it through clenched teeth. There's jokes told here and there, some big words, and steely glances. No one in this company going through Charlie's territory likes it one iota, not even LT, who is looking perhaps to rise in the ranks of what he sees as a "corporation" like Gulf & Western. Another soldier rightfully quips, 'or Engulf and Devour.'

The approach that writer/director/former-vet Duncan does is not the first of its kind in terms of style (he was preceded by at least a few years by Cannibal Holocaust's method of first-person cinematography and point of view), but it's the first film I can think of that uses not only the approach but the person holding the camera as part of the story. MioPic is a guy who has been editing footage for a while at a nearby base, and gets cans and cans of films to look at; some have nothing, other ones, well, they keep him up at night. That this isn't just a passive observer adds to the tension when it comes time to shoot the combat footage (however little it is, though it makes sense after a while), since he's got to have the balls to keep up and not look away. It covers the problem that certain horror films have when one wonders why the camera wouldn't just turn off after a while. We are, as they are, stuck in a fixed position. Oddly enough it kind of is the predecessor of the real-life approach to filming most of the documentary Restrepo. Again, for another review on that one.

While one could nitpick certain things with the style- such as, there being perfect sound but it being a camera circa 1968 or 1969, which means a sound guy or at least a boom operator would need to be around, and who isn't- but it's really about the men on screen, men that Duncan himself may have known to an extent. It should be noted that not all of the characters are originals either. There's the cocky guy, the quiet focused man (no interviews), the country white-trash guy (actually, he's not as conventional as you'd expect), and a few other types. The approach in how long we stick with the guys, just them talking, before a shot is even fired, does do something crucial: we are with them for so long that they become real and we can feel the pain when one is hurt, or , eventually, as they're picked off. Some of this is so powerful that one can overlook certain similarities to other war films (i.e. the 'sniper-shooting-soldier' scene in Full Metal Jacket, a heated exchange of one soldier to another from Platoon).

It's a character piece that gets us feeling for what these soldiers had to go through, how insane it was just to get from point A to B to C, how its 'corporation' of sorts was neither a real business or a game, perhaps something in between. It's far from perfect, but it's alive and kicking as a testament to people in war. It never trivializes, or makes it very "fun", but it's hard to look away. Unlike Rambo (which I did not hate by the way), it's as true as it can be.
A Powerful But Flawed First Person Depiction of the Vietnam War
zardoz-1317 October 2008
Long before "Cloverfield" earned praise for the immediacy of its approach to a "Godzilla" horror story by shooting from the perspective of a handy cam in the fist of a survivor, writer & director Patrick Sheane Duncan's "84C MoPic" pioneered this novel technique. This 95-minute, low-budget Vietnam War movie with its largely unknown cast boasts the distinction of being helmed by a 'Nam veteran. Deane emphasizes authenticity by lensing everything from the view point of a combat photographer. Indeed, the camera serves as the film's point of view, and Patrick maintains this point of view from fade-in to fade-out.

Unquestionably, the conceit of "84C MoPic" is nothing short of brilliant. A combat photographer (Byron Thames of "Johnny Dangerously") films a reconnaissance unit choppered into the bush as a training film for the military. Deane's distinctive film then has not only an immediacy about it but it also contains a clever rational for its artless artistry. The closest thing in real life to "84C MoPic" is John Houston's World War II documentary "The Battle of San Pietro." Everything is seen from the camera and the camera is constantly in the rear because no cameraman would expose himself to enemy fire by standing in front of his own troops. The hand-held, cine'ma ve'rite' style of film-making fuels the realism of "84C Charlie MoPic." The soldiers do nothing in this movie that isn't thoroughly believable. The procedure of bagging and tagging a body hammers home hard the lack of glamor. "84C MoPic" manifests few pretensions and the character never argue about the validity of the Vietnam.

If genuinely artistic photography were the only necessity for a great movie, then Deane's film would have amounted to a classic. Unfortunately, despite the excellence of Deane's first-person, in-your-face technique, "84C MoPic" provides only intermittently entertainment as an action-packed war story. Deane populates his screenplay with relatively bland, one-dimensional characters that rarely engage our sympathy. They lack charisma. Since we never become emotionally attached to any of them, the ones that die generate little concern for us. The G.I. humor is old and stale. Ultimately, despite some tense moments of combat near the end, "84C MoPic" is not memorable in the least. None of the characters stand out and the enemy is rarely seen. Deane occasionally undermines his powerful atmosphere of realism by having his camera running during a dangerous moment. Would anybody seriously risk their life by photographing an unsuspecting enemy who might hear the sounds of film whirling through their camera?

Primarily, Deane's screenplay is an anthology of war story clichés. "84C MoPic" replicates the World War II movie cliché that the unit contained an ethnic collection of oddballs. Alas, these guys are bland, and the story is for the most part boring. There is the guy with less than a month to go before he is shipped home but is paranoid about his chances of survival. There is the green, inexperienced lieutenant, LT (Jonathan Emerson of "Graveyard Shift"),who couldn't find his own dog tags with his hands in broad daylight but volunteered for combat to earn a promotion. There is the angry black man simply named OD(Richard Brooks of NBC-TV's "Law & Order") who threatens to kill his superior officer. There is a backwoods North Carolina redneck,Cracker (Glenn Morshower of "Black Hawk Down"), who turns a blind eye to the black man and considers him a true brother, something that he admits would never happen back home. Each character addresses the other by their nicknames: 'Pretty Boy,''L-T,' 'Cracker,' and 'OD.' The performances are ordinary enough.

Nobody hams it up, but they don't make much of an impression. There is nothing incredibly gory. The closest to real violence is the scene where an enemy sniper targets Pretty Boy. The sniper keeps on shooting the soldier and nobody can come to rescue. At one point, the soldier even tries to blow himself up with a hand grenade. Although the story is neither original nor dramatic enough, "84C MoPic" deserves three silver stars for its technique and its interpretation. The irony of the ending is a neat touch. Mind you, this movie isn't as memorable as "Apocalypse Now," "The Deer Hunter," or "Platoon," but it is worth watching.

Altogether, "84C MoPic" still qualifies as a unique film that is too realistic for its own good. Surprisingly, given the potential of the premise, nobody has remade it with a big budget for special effects.
Hearts of Darkness
sol-2 March 2017
Sent to the jungles of Vietnam to film a small unit for a military training video, an aspiring director experiences a side of war seldom told in this fascinating movie helmed by Vietnam War veteran Patrick Sheane Duncan. The film is innovatively shot in fake documentary style from the point of view of the cameraman and while the constant hand-held photography is jarring at first, it sublimely places us in the young man's shoes as he asks prodding questions that the other soldiers seldom want to answer. In a welcome touch, the protagonist gets some screen too as the others grab his camera while he is urinating (his face as he talks about developing film stock depicting the horrors of war is unforgettable), plus he is visible in the haunting, memorable ending. The best aspect of '84C MoPic' is possibly the dialogue. Some of it is downright maudlin and the movie feels plodding at times early on, but as the story progresses and the soldiers open up more to the protagonist, things grow increasingly interesting. Of particular note is the unit's lieutenant waxing poetic about the army being an "equal opportunity employer", excited to be in on the action since it may lead to a promotion (sentiments that cause his drafted underlings to recoil), plus one of his subordinates declaring that "out here, the bush is the boss", not military rank. We never quite get to know all the characters in that much depth, but where each is coming from is always evident and as such this makes for a superb insight into the less glorious and action-packed elements of fighting in war.
fascinating experimental filmmaking
SnoopyStyle14 September 2015
84C 'MoPic' is a military cameraman filming a Long Range Reconnaissance Patrol (LRRP) mission during the Vietnam War. LT is a lieutenant new in country and eager to climb the military ladder. OD (Richard Brooks) is a wise sergeant. Easy is short. With Pretty Boy, Hammer and Cracker, the group encounters the enemy and dangers along the way.

This is what is today referred to as found footage movie. The movie is filmed through MoPic's camera point of view. What I love the most are the little insightful moments of the cat and mouse game with the North Vietnamese. Some of the 'talk' with the group gets a bit too written. Asking Cracker about his black leader is too on-the-nose. The low budget doesn't interfere too much. It forces the movie to focus on the small group. The action isn't as compelling as one would expect because it does get confused. In a way, it's more realistic but less cinematic. This is a fascinating experiment in filmmaking.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great central idea but the execution is very lacking
Red-Barracuda26 May 2015
84 Charlie Mopic was a latter day entry in the late 80's cycle of Vietnam War movies. By this point in time there had been so many of these films that the sub-genre was running out of ideas. For that reason it seems likely that film-makers had to come up with new methods of presenting this material. To this end, 84 Charlie Mopic adopts a decidedly different approach in that it takes the form of a docudrama shot from a first person perspective via the video footage of a combat journalist sent out with an American platoon on a reconnaissance mission in the jungle. You have to remember that this was a very early example of the found-footage genre which was popularised a decade later by The Blair Witch Project (1999) and which has become very common place since. And while this was not the first film to use this technique, it was still very uncommon at the time and from this perspective has to be considered a commendably original approach.

Having said this, I just wish I could say I liked the movie more. On paper, it sounds like a good concept that has considerable potential. In practice it doesn't really work so well. It's very low budget is always obvious and it never really feels like we are ever in Vietnam, it looks more like a forest in the American Everglades or something. Not only this but it is very slow-paced and relies on dramatics far more than on action. Nothing wrong with that but the problem is that for this to work the script has to be decent but sadly for the most part the dialogue is fairly poor and the characters are not especially well defined, not helped by quite mediocre acting. Don't get me wrong, it has moments of interest, such as a tense interview scene which illustrated how racial differences that are an issue in civilian life cease to be relevant in the context of a combat platoon. There is also a dramatic scene in which an enemy soldier is captured and the manner in which this is dealt with showcases the ugliness of war; while the ending of the film worked quite well even if it was a little sudden. So, there are good moments in this movie, yet for the most part I found it to be a plodding and overly limited production. I give it credit for ideas but its execution was very lacking.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"Get that thing out of my face"!
mylimbo13 June 2014
Something like this might not look original now, but back when it was released it was probably refreshing and innovative. An army cameraman (code-name Charlie MoPic) films a small recon platoon to record the procedures of combat situations in the jungles of Vietnam. Think of its low-budget (and it shows) and especially competing with Vietnam war films of the late 80s like "Platoon", "Full Metal Jacket" and "Hamburger Hill". Looking for a different angle to set it apart… which I don't know how successful it was, as I only heard of the film for the first time a couple months back. It does remind me of the TV show "Tour of Duty", which if I remember correctly had an episode using this concept.

Still "84 Charlie MoPic" is quite a personal, gut-wrenching and gritty look into the exploits on the front-line. It doesn't shy away either, giving the characters plenty of time to bond and open up with their differing perspectives. It's driven by its dialogues/characters, as it's in the details, commonplace but realistic. Sometimes a little slow and meandering, but those looking for constant action will be hugely disappointed, as when it occurs its only minor and the Viet Cong are kept mainly unseen, but it does have impact because we feel every inch of pain, discomfort and disorientation the soldiers encountered. This is where the intensity arrives from; the chemistry and respect between the men. That when they start getting picked off in quick concession, the intimate styling crafted gave it a more grounded sense that played to its strengths. It's primal, instinctive, as their combat training makes little headway in their quest for survival. There are no rules in this war, where danger is always there. The performances are raw, but believable and well-delivered by a bunch of no names. The low-scale handling gives it an organic, but tight and humid touch Written and directed by Patrick Luncan, he makes good use of the one idea concept and lets it flow accordingly to achieve maximum effect.
No question, the best Vietnam movie I've ever seen
brianshoebridge129 March 2014
84 Charlie MoPic shows us how to make a great war movie - it just takes a good story, great scripts, solid A-grade acting, good locations & fine camera work.

The docu-drama style complements the narrative brilliantly.

No big budget effects means the real story unfolds without punctuation. Every scene has a reason to be there & each one contributes to the story.

This is not only the best Vietnam movie I have ever seen, it is possibly the best small unit war movie ever made. The enemy is everywhere but nowhere - we only ever see one opposing soldier close up.

The characters are without exception very well done. The leads, Sgt GD, Easy & Lt are really well supported by the rest of this small cast. If you only ever watch one movie about Vietnam, make it this one.