IMDb > 84C MoPic (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

84C MoPic More at IMDbPro »

LRRP Team with tag along Motion Picture team goes on recon mission

Author: ripcords from United States
12 April 2006

As a former LRRP myself (LRSU it is now called) I was ecstatic to find this movie when it first came out as it wasn't highly budgeted nor widely released. The movie hits very authentic notes about LRRP teams except for the fact that they talk a heck of a lot more than any real LRRP team would in the filed (but then again, you wouldn't have much of a movie if they didn't talk). the attention to detail is very good, from calling in arty missions on a discovered enemy base camp to doing the damage assessment after it. The morale and esprit do corps of recon teams is shown very well here. If you are interested at all in small unit missions, this is at the top of the short list!

Surprisingly good Vietnam picture

Author: (davethorne700@hotmail.com) from aberystwyth, wales
23 August 2002

Vietnam war film shot in 1st person POV. It really works and you feel that you are right there with the platoon who are on a recon mission in the jungle bush of Vietnam. This effort is surprisingly good and is more gritty and realistic than most war movies out there (not mentioning a few big budget titles). The acting is top notch and the original way it was filmed (over 10 years before Blair Witch) makes this one a gem to own in your vhs/dvd collection. I liked this film a lot and highly recommend it to any fan of 'Nam titles.

Unique and powerful

Author: Misfit138 from Vietnam
5 January 2002

This is a unique film. It not only is filmed from a first person POV, but it didn't glamourize war as even humanist films do. There is not too much action yet the film is still fascinating. Instead, the film features what soldiers do in between all the glamourized gunfights. The soldiers camp out, quietly hike, interact and create tension amongst each other and also grow closer, scout out Vietcong positions, and talk about home. This is the most realistic depiction of Vietnam missions in film. The action is mostly incoherent, making it more realistic. There isn't any plagarized, motivating score (Pearl Harbor) set to dozens of soldiers running in slow motion. There are a few gunshots out of the jungle and a man goes down. THe film is emotional and powerful, a great war film.

8/10 or ***1/2 stars out of ****

One of those Sundance gems

Author: oldskibum2 from United States
16 March 2001

Much of the credit for the genuine feel of this film should go to two former Marines who had "been there, done that": Russ Thurman and Dale Dye. Dye's method of running the actors through a mini-boot camp helps raise this film to the level of "Platoon" and "Saving Private Ryan", his more widely-known achievements. Seen largely through the eyes (or lens) of the handheld camera of the mostly-unseen "Mopic", it gives viewers a different perspective on bonding that happens when men put their lives into each other's hands almost daily. Its ring of truth comes from endless tiny details that only former grunts would ever notice. When someone asks this former Marine which are the best Viet Nam films, "84 Charlie MoPic" and "The Odd Angry Shot" are at the top of a very short list.

Low Budget, Great Movie

Author: Bayjohn from Mississippi
16 February 1999

Despite the obvious low budget, this film is definitely worth watching. The unknown actors are superb with the materials and situations they are given and make the reality of the Vietnam War come through in a very real fashion. In terms of scale, this is no "Saving Private Ryan", but it does have the same dramatic impact on the viewer. Highly Recommended!

The Best Small Unit Warfare Movie Ever

Author: Alex-372 from The Hague, The Netherlands
29 March 2003

84 Charlie Mopic (84C Mopic) is the best movie ever made about small unit warfare. If that's what you're into, you're golden with this mock documentary about a LRRP/Ranger unit. A cast of unknown actors (Richard Brooks of Law & Order, Glenn Morshower of CSI, Christopher Burgard, Nicholas Gascone) generate extraordinary performances.

The difference with other movies is that it gives a lot of attention to the detail of going on a small 5 man, 5 day mission as the LRRPs did. There is a lot of attention paid to noise discipline, and when enemy shots ring out, you have to work out for yourself from where. The enemy is seen up close only once in this movie.

There is no heavy handed treatment of "politics" as in Hamburger Hill, no lots of nonsense like in Platoon, just five (seven) guys who are thrown together and have a job to do, and hopefully come through alive.

If you like it, you may also like Sniper, with Tom Berenger and Billy Zane.

One Of The Best Movies About Vietnam

Author: carol-160 from United States
23 May 2005

This low-budget movie packs a maximum impact. The cast of no-names eliminates the predisposition to the glorification of war associated with many big name "war" actors. I have rarely seen a film about small-unit dynamics as well done. Every part is well-acted. Of interest are the relationships between the draftees, the enlisted lifer, and the opportunistic Lieutenant. The tension, confusion, and boredom of combat operations is captured in excruciating yet tender detail. The film conveys a good sense of the terrible waste of the Vietnam war. This movie is down, dirty, and real. If you are a war film buff, this one is a must see!

Better than the Blair Witch Project

Author: lot49 from Acme Building
14 August 1999

This 1989 mockumentary employs a simple premise: a combat photographer known as "Mopic" (Byron Thames) accompanies an infantry squad on a patrol during the Vietnam War. We see the story through Mopic's lens. (Except for the POV, it's similar to the second half of "Full Metal Jacket.") The soldiers are often scared, frustrated and fatigued. They are trying to reach a village where a helicopter can take them out of the jungle, but they are delayed by the Viet Cong. The enemy is an unseen, menacing presence in the jungle -- until a Viet Cong soldier is captured. The actors were unknown in 1989, but Richard Brooks would later play Assistant District Attorney Paul Robinette in "Law and Order."

Excellent movie - true to life at that time

Author: Allen Freeman from United States
16 October 2005

I have never seen another movie presented in this way. The closest film presentation, similar to this, I can remember seeing before is the "You Are There" series, with Walter Cronkite, that we used to see in school during the 50's and 60's. I liked those and I liked this. I personally think this is a tremendously underrated film. In addition, this movie happens to be about my old unit (An Khe-1969). Many of the experiences presented are similar to what my experiences were at that time. This film paints a realistic picture of one segment of the war in Vietnam, and it is NOT a pretty picture. But, it very effectively demonstrates the closeness that develops among men in combat as well as the fear and drabness we lived with. It would probably be a good demonstration film for new military servicemen. I was cast back to that time. It was effectively presented and very well acted. The technical adviser did well because I saw no errors in techniques and equipment. If you want to see what recon could be like, see this film.

Realistic depiction of American patrol on Vietnam

Author: kiph-2
20 December 2000

Comparing this with my other favorite war movie, MASH, I'd call them both "naturalistic." They show humor and horror side by side, long stretches of tedium and short bursts of terror, without relying on an artificial plot or stereotyped characters. But 84 Charlie MoPic is much more realistic.

I was not in combat or in Vietnam, but I was in the Army at that time. Several of my Army friends had jobs making films exactly as shown in 84 Charlie MoPic. This is as accurate a picture of an American combat soldier's experience in Vietnam as any I can imagine. The first time I saw it, I was totally taken in, thought it was an actual documentary until the very end.

Incidentally, 84C or 84 Charlie is (or was) the code for the "military occupational specialty" of Motion Picture Specialist.