IMDb > "The Young Riders" (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Wonderful cast, unforgettable show

Author: Veronica Lake from Sydney, Australia
25 September 1999

I cannot calculate how many hours I have spent watching this show. You only have to check out the fan sites on the internet to see its impact. This must be one of the best (and best-looking) casts ever assembled. Josh Brolin is intense, sexy and magical as 'James Butler Hickock'. Anthony Zerbe hits just the right note as the wise but eccentric 'Teaspoon'. Ty Miller as 'Kid' is sincere and appealing. Gregg Rainwater plays the sensitive 'Buck', a half-breed torn between two worlds but belonging to none. Travis Fine is remarkable as 'Ike', a bald mute. Could any other actor have pulled off such a role? Brett Cullen is the handsome and fair marshal 'Sam Cain', if only he had stayed beyond season 1! Yvonne Suhor gives and amazing and sympathetic portrayal of 'Louise McLoud', a scared but strong woman trying to make it in a man's world by disguising her femininity. Don Franklin plays the intelligent, funny, but frustrated 'Noah Dickson' - who is very far from the usual stereotypical portrayal of blacks in westerns. Chris Pettiet plays 'Jesse James' at 14, a boy anxious to grow up and be a man but badly needing guidance and a sense of family. The comic relief is provided by Stephen Baldwin who gets all the best lines as the obnoxious but endearing 'William F. Cody' (although you may more often than not be laughing at him, not with him). The first housekeeper was 'Emma Shannon' (Melissa Leo), a woman trying to make it in the west after being deserted by her husband. She becomes a mother figure for the riders, something that most of them were lacking. Later came Clare Wren who played the sexy 'Rachel Dunne' who was a lot tougher and wiser than she looked. Well I don't think I missed anyone out. The show also had fantastic guest stars, excellent shoot-outs, and showed the conflicts that were developing between the north and the south at that time. It also showed the true meaning of love and friendship. It was wonderfully shot and had just the right blend of drama, action, and humor. I guess if you've read this far you already know and love the show. Why not write your own comments here? Oh, and "Try a little Jimmyness".

Miss this show tremendously

Author: Rebecca from Great Plains of Kansas
31 August 2002

This show was awesome. One of the best of the early 90's. I had the hugest crush on Ty Miller, where did he go? :( I miss him! I'm glad that Josh Brolin, Melissa Leo, Don Franklin, Stephen Baldwin, and Brett Cullen still have good careers going, but where did the others go?? I especially adored Yvonne Suhor, who played Louise McCloud. SIghhhhhhh...... I hope the whole series is on DVD someday. :)

great show great cast great stories great outdoor shots

Author: (amensor@dc.rr.com) from Palm Springs, CA
30 October 2006

I video taped all of this series back when it was on, never realizing, that so many other people liked it even though it did last 3 seasons.

It really was and is a great series, set in the old west, with lots of beautiful location scenes, and some great actors and great writing and was even recorded in stereo sound. It actually holds up today.

What more could you want?

Except for all 3 years to make it out in beautiful DVD box sets.

Well,they have got the first year out, now how about the rest of this great series! It is up to us to write to Sony Pictures TV and ask for the next 2 years to be released.

Absolutely Awesome!

Author: BethKyleXYnet from United States
7 March 2002

It was my favorite TV show in the whole world for the 3 seasons it actually ran and has remained a happily videotaped memory for another 10 years afterwards. They just don't make Western series that good anymore. I could never get enough of it. If it ever comes out as a boxed-set on video or DVD, I'll be the first one in line to buy it.

The 19th Century Greatest Generation

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
16 June 2009

What do MASH and The Young Riders have in common? It's an interesting answer and you'd guess it immediately if you know your history. Both television series lasted longer than the historical event they were set in. MASH which ran over ten years was longer than the three years of the actual Korean War.

The Young Riders lasted for 3 seasons and in real life The Pony Express was started in 1860 and lasted until the beginning of the Civil War. Technology replaced horses, the telegraph invented almost 20 years earlier finally spanned the continent.

Still for its brief time, The Pony Express which was run under government contract by the famous western freighting firm of Russell, Majors&Waddell certainly earned its colorful place in our history. In doing the television show the producers went back into what used to be done in Hollywood westerns, take some frontier legends and weave plots around the names that had nothing to do with real life.

According to this show Buffalo Bill Cody, Wild Bill Hickok and Jesse James all rode for the Pony Express. Of the group only Cody did in real life and he was all of 14 at the time. Stephen Baldwin was a bit older than the real Cody during his Pony Express period. Of course in the film Pony Express the mature Charlton Heston played Cody and Baldwin was certainly closer than him.

In that same film Forrest Tucker played Wild Bill Hickok. Hickok would have been in his early twenties as Josh Brolin was at the time of the series and he did work for Russell,Majors&Waddell at the time. But he was a teamster, he drove their freight wagons. He was too old to be a Young Rider. In fact that was what the Pony Express looked for, young riders, teenage boys looking for a little adventure and a chance to make a decent wage. To those farm and ranch kids trying to make a living off the land, this was a great opportunity.

A third western legend, a child actually at this time also joined The Pony Express. Young Christopher Pettiet played Jesse James who never had any connection at all with the Pony Express joined the cast in the third and final season. He was a fine young player and his death from a drug overdose in 2000 was a tragic end to a promising career.

The rest of the cast reflected some of the issues of the times. There was a southern kid simply called The Kid who was played by Ty Miller. Gregg Rainwater played an American Indian young rider, Travis Fine was a mute young rider, Don Franklin joined the cast as a runaway slave escaped to the free west in the third season as a young rider.

The most interesting gimmick was Yvonne Suhor who was going in incognito drag. I don't think the rules of The Pony Express expressly forbade women in its employ, but they sure didn't provide any separate accommodations in those relay stations. For about half the first season, no one knew she was a women. Then it finally came out, though at first only relay station manager Anthony Zerbe knew.

Zerbe played a colorful western type character who must have felt like he was running a summer camp. But these kids were there to work and their work created a legend that's come down to us today. If the young people of the World War II era are the Greatest Generation of the last century, than those who were in the Pony Express who joined the Union and Confederate Armies of the time in an awful Civil War, were the 19th Century Greatest Generation. The awful tragedy is that this generation was busy killing each other in that the USA be preserved and free for all.

When The Young Riders ended its run, the various cast members left the disbanded Pony Express to whatever destiny their consciences told them where to go. It was a moving finale to the series and something played out across the United States of America and the Confederate States of America in thousands of homes.

Despite some really bad historical inaccuracies, The Young Riders was a fine series and I wish it lasted a bit longer.

The Young Riders

Author: PippinTheHobbit from United States
23 May 2006

First of all I want to say that I LOVE this show. This was the first new show I watched with my parents as a family on a regular basis, and was second only to The Waltons. The characters are fantastic, it's action-packed, romantic, emotional, and just overall endearing. I believe this show is one of the main reasons that I love American History so much, to this day I search for anything I can find about the Pony Express. And now it has been released on DVD (just season 1 so far), and I have been watching at least one episode a day, reliving the love I felt for this show when I saw it as a young girl who started off simply loving it because it had beautiful horses and a girl that was just as good as the boys.

One of My All-Time Favorites

Author: Lucas White (webmaster@mosszone.com) from Erwin, TN
20 April 2001

I'm not a fan of westerns or the Fox Family Channel. However, this western entertained me for many hours when it was airing on the Fox Family Channel. It was action-packed, violent, and superbly written. It mixed history with fiction and came up with a nice blend. I wish that some of episodes would be released on dvd but that will probably always be a fantasy.

Loved the show

Author: CLight2 from United States
30 June 2007

I was in my late twenties when I first discovered this show on a cable channel. Coming from a family of western lovers, my brother was already familiar with the show and enjoyed it as well. I had to record many of the episodes due to being in night classes but I always looked forward to getting home to view them. I was so excited to see the first season come out on DVD and hope the next will be out soon.As soon as I purchased it I came home to watch every episode without commercials and having pieces lost to TV interruptions and running out of tape. I know I missed some of the episodes and still cry when I watch the last one. This is wonderful TV that teaches some valuable lessons for young kids today. They should watch more westerns! (And those were some nice looking young men on that show that grew into even nicer looking men)

Young Riders are missed

Author: crazypyrojo from United States
28 March 2005

I, and many friends, miss this show. While there were many liberties taken in the writing of the show it was very entertaining. The actors did exceptional jobs of expressing the mood and attitudes of the mid 1800's just prior to the Civil War. The Plight of the Native American people was highlighted in several episodes as was slavery. The writers used and developed characters to portray person's trapped in the non-white world. One character, Buck, played by Gregg Rainwater, developed over the three seasons from a relatively minor character of mixed blood to a highly intelligent, well read person who completely broke the misconception of the ignorant drunk Indian. I feel more could have been done with the Civil War aspect of the show but they chose to end it instead. I'm hoping this show will be released to DVD as I would like my children to see it.

The Young Riders

Author: danijela-8 from Czech Republic
23 June 2008

Hi everybody, I'm from czech republic, so first I must excuse my English. I love this show. I saw Seasons 1 and 2 in my country when I was a child, but never more. I couldn't forget it. I want to buy DVD, but I have a problem with English "cowboy's" speak. Can anybody tell me, if on DVD are subtitles? I don't find it. Maybe in edition for Europe? I know, you don't need them, but maybe for deaf people. I try to find them in net but without purpose. My English is good only to know what is the matter, but I don't understand any "joke or hint". Everybody here love this series, so you will understand what I mean and how much I'm unhappy. Pleas help me!!! Daniela

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]