IMDb > "The Super Mario Bros. Super Show!" (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Super Mario Bros. Super Show!"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board
Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Missing it. . .

Author: Zalis
2 February 2000

I loved this show to death. The live action sequences featured funny cameos from celebrities, and the cartoons. . . they were just awesome, with my favorite video game heroes in amazing escapades. They really don't make them like this anymore.

Enjoyable

Author: dtm666 from Montreal, QC
6 September 2004

Contrary to what many claim, Mario's first initial cartoon appearance was NOT the Super Mario Bros. Super Show. Rather, it was in an obscure Donkey Kong cartoon that aired as part of Saturday Supercade during the early-1980s, before Nintendo rose into prominence. You wouldn't have noticed, because in that cartoon, Mario was a generic guy who pursued the big dumb ape. But that's irrelevant, because before 85, Mario wasn't a big deal. After '85, he practically salvaged the video gaming industry and got a cartoon out of it.

Every Mario cartoon had the same basic plot; evil King Koopa (Bowser, although he never goes by that name in the cartoon) wrecks havoc in various worlds of the Mushroom Kingdom and it's up to Mario, faithful brother Luigi, loyal Mushroom Retainer Toad, and the Princess (when she isn't kidnapped) to spoil his nefarious plans. Rinse, lather, and repeat.

Odd thing was that this had more in common with Super Mario Bros. 2 (Mario USA to Japanese folk - the less said, the better) than it did the original game, but I'm not complaining.

The way I see it, the cartoon (and even the Captain Lou Albano live skits) was what truly defined Mario as an Italian plumber from Brooklyn who enjoyed eating pasta rather than this fat plumber who ate mushrooms, something that the games depicted. The cartoon stayed true to the original games, as opposed to the later movie which was a bastardization of what was good and wholesome. The stories are rather cheesy, crude, and cheap parodies of certain series and movies, but who cares? They were fun and back then, that's all you really needed.

The animation was decent for its time. You have some minor technical errors here and there (sometimes Mario would be speaking with Luigi's voice, or his hat would be the wrong color), but these things happens in all the old cartoons (see the old Ninja Turtles as a good example - yes, you know who you are!) The voices were pretty good; nothing great, but alright nonetheless. Characterizations were pretty good (even though it's based off a video game and you actually had no frame of reference as far as characterization goes).

Of course, the cartoon is only part of the show. Bookending the cartoon are live-action skits featuring Captain Lou as Mario and this other guy as Luigi, in their Brooklyn basement, where they have to deal with these guest stars' problems. I'm not just talking nameless hacks looking for a quick buck, but actual stars whom were popular at the time. Like the cartoons, the skits were cheesy but fun. And it's always a welcome sight to see Captain Lou make an idiot out of himself by doing the Mario. (Now, if the REAL Mario were to have done that in any of the modern Mario games, it would have actually prompted me to buy a modern Nintendo system.)

Every Friday, they'd throw in a little Zelda cartoon. Back then, when I first saw them, I never touched the original game, but still enjoyed them nonetheless... although these days, hearing Link whine "Excuse Me, Princess" every fifth minute irritates me to no end.

After some time, the Super Mario Bros. Super Show changed its format and became Club Mario. While you had the same IL' good cartoons, instead of live Mario and Luigi, you had two 'hip' guys in a messed-up apartment with lots of stuff that boggles the mind. Every once in a while, they have actual 'storylines' such as one guy's evil twin trying to take over the show. Sometimes, I wish good IL' Koopa showed up during the Mario Bros' off-day and took over the show so he could cancel it, because even back then, it was bad.

Even today, it's still a good wholesome cartoon that's good for a few laughs and maybe can be genuinely enjoyed. I think you can find them on Yahoo somewhere, who airs the shows online. Check 'em out if you have the chance.

Oldschool Nintendo

Author: Pelagia from Los Angeles, USA
4 May 2003

You'd have to have been born somewhere between the late seventies and early eighties to have fully appreciated Oldschool Nintendo. Even though the major Nintendo stars such as Mario and Link are still with us today, their innocence doesn't hold up any more in a gaming world full of violence and mature themes. I remember watching this show religiously every day after school, during a time of my life when anything Nintendo was sacred.

I had the opportunity recently to watch some of the episodes, and found it a fun experience to relive that bit of nostalgia. Even though cartoons have vastly improved over the years, I believe that the episodes still hold up pretty well. Memories of the time I had a crush on Princess Toadstool and Zelda, sang along to the Mario song, and pretended I was Link dueling with bad guys in my back yard seem to come back to me as I watched.

The style of the cartoons is outdated in comparison to the superb quality we have today, but if you fit into that age range I mentioned previously, you'll find some great nostalgic value in these cartoons.

My first ever experience to the plumber.

Author: SSJAniFan from Pine Valley, California
4 July 2003

Believe it or not, before I saw this series, I didn't know who Mario, or Link from the Zelda series, was. I did not own a Nintendo Entertainment System until my fifth birthday, and I first saw this show while I was three years old, which gave me my first real taste on the wonderful world of Nintendo. I loved it, and even now I miss this series. Having animated versions of both Mario and Zelda were fantastic. Mario would usually battle variations of King Koopa(who was a fused version of Mario villain Bowser and Mario 2 baddie Wart), usually in versions of movies like Indiana Jones or Frankenstein. The Zelda ones featured Link and Zelda(who actually fought in the Zelda cartoons), facing Ganon(who else?), as he tried to capture the Triforce. I thought it was really cool how both toons would use the actual sound effects from the games. I also noted how the characteristics of Mario and Luigi in the show are now the ones used for them in the current Mario games. This show reminded me of how KUSI-51 used to be cool, when they had shows like this, Ninja Turtles, Jetsons, and Tiny Toons. What happened to those days? I guess they went the way of the Disney Channel, Disney Adventures, Fox, and USA. Oh well, I was ticked off when they changed the theme song during the 90's, and instead of the host sequences of a live-action Mario and Luigi they now featured..... two guys on the top of an apartment with a big-screen TV!? Luckily, the few videos and taped episodes I have give me the chance to relive my childhood memories.

BOTTOM LINE: I don't care what anyone else says, I love this show!

A great nostalgic feeling

Author: mbe-10 from United States
10 April 2007

Wow. As a child of the 80's, I remember the craze of the Super Mario Bros, TMNT and so on. I remember rushing home from school every day that this cartoon was on and commandeering the TV. It was a great show then, and it is now. Watching it reminds me of being in elementary school, where life was simple, and all I had to worry about was simple mathematics and getting past the castle in level 7 of Super Mario Bros (that one was crazy, it still confuses me to this day!). I'm glad to see that all of the great cartoons and video games of the 80's are making a comeback, and am pretty sure that most, if not all of the "children of the 80's" will agree. This is a great tribute to our childhood and something wonderful to share with the young kids of today. 10 out of 10 stars!

It is like cheese, it gets maturer and better the more you watch it.

Author: CaptainR1 from United Kingdom
12 September 2006

While I haven't seen every episode (compared to the other Mario cartoons) and also the Legend of Zelda segments, I still think that the show is good. The show was split into two, a live action part with guest stars from the era (the 80s) and the cartoon. I didn't mind and even liked some of the live action parts with goofy Lou Albano and Danny Wells as Mario & Luigi but I enjoyed the cartoon better. There are parodies of film, books and legends in the show, but I only seen some of the parody episodes but I liked them but not as much as the earlier produced episodes which give a vintage charm due to better plotting.

I don't know why, but I find this series better animated than the next 2 Mario cartoons due to less colouring goofs and better voice acting, especially from Princess Toadstool (compared with SMB3 and Super Mario World) and the Mario Brothers sound more courageous (even Luigi, believe or not) which also introduced their Brooklyn accent. Even Mouser in the show has a good Pseudo German accent and character as well as King Koopa, my favourite character due to his lines and actions however he looks different compared to the games. During an episode, there would be a music track in the background that are covers from real bands and singers like Michael Jackson's Bad or Proud Mary. It is a shame that the US DVD releases have these omitted, while it doesn't make much difference in Super Mario Bros. 3 (except the Milli Vanilli episode) this is like a huge difference in mood and setting. I even compared King Mario of Cramelot US when it was aired on Yahooligans with the UK DVD which has the original music and I found the UK one more enjoyable with the Mario and King Koopa scenes, the US one was far less exciting, however it still had the remixed soundtrack of the Mario games as well in all episodes. One thing that's legendary is Do The Mario which still shows the test of time and is quite fun to dance to for the kids.

This is probably the best Mario cartoon since it started it all and is such a timeless classic that you should buy it or if it is aired somewhere, watch it.

Not as serious as the game, and from a generation long since passed.

Author: saffire345 from United States
3 November 2005

I don't see how anyone can possibly judge the Super Mario Bros. Super Show using today's mindset. The humor, the jokes, the "guest stars" are out of the 80's and 90's, some even earlier. I bought the DVD Zelda set, and it contains some of the live action scenes. I didn't even recognize one of the guest stars at all, and I watched the show when it originally aired.

Let's face it, the animation was for kids, if you tuned in religiously, and now look back and wonder why you even bothered to watch something so horrific, the answer is simple: You were a KID! When you're a kid, you didn't need complex humor, artwork that would put the pros to shame, and plots that would out-do the best. You're a kid, you don't require all of that in order to enjoy something. The point of both the Mario and Zelda cartoons was that you had a (at the least vague) connection to the game itself. It was fun to see your favorite video game characters talk. The video game sounds offered only added to the connection. I'm well over 20, and I still enjoy all 13 episodes of the Zelda cartoon series. Granted, I skip over the Mario bros intro and "Do the Mario" ending, but then, those aren't why I bought the DVD set.

Why kill Ganon? You do enough of that in the game, and they /do/ kill Ganon at least twice, and he "dies" many other times, however they explain that Ganon and any creature he summons gets zapped to the "Evil Jar" when they die anyways. If they actually killed Ganon, it'd be like the family in Lost In Space actually getting home. The series would end. I'm not sure why the series ended at one season, whether it was due to lack of funds, interest, or a combination of both, but it had potential to go on.

Again, the whole thing was aimed towards kids, specifically, towards an age group that doesn't point out every out-of-sync word, animation glitch, or plot. Leave the heavy critiquing for features that hit the big screen.

Do The MARIO!

Author: Domitian from Virginia
30 December 2001

"Swing your arms, from side to side/Come on it's time to go do the MARIO!/Take one step, and then again/Let's do the MARIO all together now!/Everybody!/ Do the Mario!/ Just like thaaaaaat!". What a pathetic little dance. Swing your arms and take two steps, one at a time. Wow, I have to assume that it was written the night before the show aired and was crafted with very...hmmm..."physically un-taxing" moves to accommodate ex-pro wrestler Lou Albano, who played Mario. Incidentally, if you grew up in the 80's like I did, you might remember that Lou Albano used to be in all of Cyndi Laupers videos. Remember how at the end of the song, the "just like thaaaaat!" part, how he went down on one knee, and it looked like he was about to fall over? Sigh - I love nostalgia. I used to watch this show while I ate my Nintendo Cereal (NIN-TEN-DO it's a cereal, wow!) from an actual Super Mario Bros. bowl, no joke. What a terrific show, I have the episode where Princess Toadstool got kidnaped by Koopa (go figure) and Mario, Luigi, and Toad have to go to the desert oasis to save her. And it had the irritable genie, and the flying carpets, and PIDGETS (Luigi spoke pidget, actually). This show was followed up by the strange Super Mario 3 based cartoon and the completely strange and horrible Super Mario World based cartoon.

Childhood is Bliss

Author: Jason Anderson (Jasoco) from Doylestown, PA
7 April 2003

There are a few things I remember from my childhood. One of them is this show.

I remember the Christmas morning I received an NES thus thrusting me into the world of Video Games. A few years later this show premiered and I loved it from the start. Maybe the jokes from the live action sequences seem cheesy now, but back then they were entertainment to a 9 year old.

I watched this show religiously and got real disappointed when it wasn't on those few rare times. The cartoon was my favorite part. I would love each episode Monday through Thursday. But wasn't really that big into Zelda having never played it, so at first the Zelda cartoon didn't interest me, but eventually I grew to love it. Of course when I finally played Zelda for the first time and noticed the huge differences between the cartoon and the game, (Think the Triforce of Wisdom and the Triforce of Power. Where were THOSE in the Zelda game?) I was confused.

Back to Mario.. I watched this show religiously, but when it turned into the horrific "Club Mario", I knew the end was coming. That was the worst part. The live action sequences of Mario and Luigi were replaced by two Bill and Ted-esque Teens. (Though, Bill and Ted didn?t suck. These two did. I prefer not to talk about them.) Thank GOD the cartoon was still there.

Fortunately I still had Captain N and the Super Mario Brothers 3 and Super Mario World cartoons to keep me happy for the next couple years... until they all just stopped. Thus the end of the golden age of games.

What I wouldn't give for a box of Nintendo Cereal and a couple tapes of the Super Show.

IT'S GREAT!

Author: Op_Prime from Ardmore, PA
13 May 2000

The first of the Mario Bros. cartoons was excellent. They had so many great stories, placing Mario and the gang in worlds of the first two games or even completely new worlds. I think they even went to a construction site resembling Mario's first appearance in video games. Sometimes they would air Legend of Zelda cartoons that were equally impressive. If you can ever find this series on the air, WATCH IT!

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]