Saved by the Bell (TV Series 1989–1992) Poster

(1989–1992)

159 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
My ultimate guilty pleasure
Kristine20 August 2002
Saved by the Bell, wither you want to admit it or not, you have seen this show if you were a child of the 90's. While it had extremely cheesy and bad acting and horrible writing, it was a fun show for the kids and the pre-teens. I remember always dying of laughter when I watched this show when I was a kid on Saturday mornings. Screech to me was like Marlon Brando in The Godfather, I thought the whole cast was brilliant. Now I still watch this show as a grown up, I really can't help it, it's like a car accident, you know you shouldn't look, but you can't help it. I know the writing was very bad and the situations are beyond unrealistic, but I think the reason I love this show still is because of it's innocence.

The show had a good influence on kids, it sounds crazy, but it did deal with a lot of issues that most kids have to deal with school. While I admit that they acted like Jesse was on heroine when she was simply taking caffeine pills, it still tried it's best to show you to be a true original. The story is simple, just 6 teenagers going through their daily lives in Bayside High School. They deal with the daily pressures: homework, tests, love, drugs, popularity, and friendship. Together they deal with these pressures along with the help of their loving principal, Mr. Belding.

Each character was lovable in their own way. Zack who was the smooth talker and ruled Bayside who could get any girl he wanted. Slater who was the high school jock and Zack's best friend. Screech, Zack's other best friend, who was the geek of the high school. Kelly who is the hottie cheerleader of Bayside and Zack's love interest. Lisa who is the fashion icon of the group and is Screech's long time crush. And Jesse, the study addict goodie two-shoe's and is also the vice president of the student council.

While each the group isn't what normally clicked in high school, it still was a lot of fun to watch them because of how opposite they were. It was always so charming to see them work together, who wouldn't have wanted friends like them? True, the situations in the show are extremely unbelievable, the acting isn't up to par, and it's cheesy messages, this was always a pleasure to watch. You have to admit that sometimes it does bring a few laughs. I'm not afraid to admit it, I still enjoy watching this show and I think you will too, just have fun and admit it, there's something memorizing about it. Otherwise people wouldn't be talking about it still almost 20 years later.
53 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Don't diss this show
bluejewel1729 March 2001
I read a few comments from some users about this show. Many were definitely fans of the show, while others dissed the show completely. I think that Saved By the Bell is a show that many kids grew up with. I know when reminiscing about times when I was younger with friends, Saved by the Bell was brought up. These aren't the friends which whom I grew up. These are the friends I met in college. It seems that pretty much everyone I know has seen Saved by the Bell and loved it. How many people can say they saw each episode about 5 times each? I know I probably did. I miss seeing the re-runs and I enjoy seeing each Saved by the Bell character when they accomplish something new like a new movie or show. It's just too bad you don't see many of the kids from the jr. high years. I remember this show well, and I always will.
38 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Definitely makes the grade
ForReal8418 February 2004
Saved By The Bell was one of the best shows that ever aired on Saturday mornings. Ok so it wasn't a show full of Emmy quality performances, but it was a show that was an escape from the everyday pressure that school has on its students. Saved By The Bell centers on a group of friends and their ups and downs through high school. Filled with memorable moments and interesting characters, SBTB is one of the best young adult programs of its time. It has stood the test of time and still remains a popular program. I think it was a show made for the sure purpose of entertaining its young audience for a half an hour. There are a lot of episodes that were pretty amusing. Never again will a generation make such a connection as the one mine did with SBTB, the series starred Mark Paul Gosselaar as Zack Morris, the main character who each week spun in and out of several pretty extreme situation. His main squeeze Kelly Kapowski played by Tiffani-Amber Thiessen, and the most popular geek Screech, played by Dustin Diamond. Also along for the ride were Slater, Jessie, and Lisa, who made up the rest of the gang. I don't think that it was ever aimed to break the barriers of great television it was what it was. Sure the series made high school look like a piece of cake, for example being able to go to The Max whenever they wanted, taking advantage of the principal, and tricking nerds into doing anything they wanted. But Saved By the Bell was one of those shows that as corny as it may be, it will forever remain one the most entertaining shows in the history of children's entertainment.
41 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Awesome!
TheMan305130 June 2002
This is the spin-off show to "Good Morning, Miss Bliss" and it's 100 times better than the original. This show was awesome! I guess that the switch from Disney to NBC and from a kids to a teen program helped a lot. While Miss Bliss was pointless and had no interesting characters, this show was funny and it had a brilliant cast of interesting characters. Then again that is what this show is about. Many people think this show is about High School but it isn't, it's about people. While they get themselves into stupid situations you must think back and remember that everyone gets themselves into stupid situations when they're in high school and that's where the humor comes in. While for some reason the main characters here are like the most popular people in school you might or might not relate with that but you could at times relate with what's going on in their lives. Which is why this show is good. Sure it might be silly but then again it's a comedy and high school was pretty fun and silly at times.

Like Zack would say: I like school. It's just too bad classes get in the way.

Now a little side note: This show was awesome but this is like the only good show NBC has had in it's Saturday Morning line up. It just makes you wish NBC would have never stopped giving cartoons on Saturday morning. Anyway, atleast the new line up gave us Saved by the Bell.
23 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
ALAS, THE ULTIMATE TEEN SITCOM
jwave213 July 2001
In the future, when one looks back on the 20th century sitcoms, one will take note of "I Love Lucy," "All in the Family," and "Seinfeld." Rightly so, my friend, rightly so. But in that esteemed group of half-hour hilarities, the brilliant "Saved by the Bell" must be included.

SBTB had such depth, such writing. And it was reality TV before "The Real World" or "Survivor." It took a realistic look at high school. It showed that in every high school, whether it be near the beaches of Malibu or near the cornfields of Nebraska, there were only six kids that mattered. The same kid who was class president was also head cheerleader, valedictorian, choir member, star athlete on the track and volleyball teams, school mascot, etc. and nobody else in the school did a thing! And of course, students like Zack Morris would get away with prank after prank after prank, even committing a felony in some cases, but still not be expelled and even find time to be best buds with the principal! This is the high school that I knew, and SBTB brought it to life. To glorious life with glorious writing. Ah yes! The writing! Some of the finest scribes of our time took their turns at SBTB. Example of a brilliant passage: SCREECH: Lisa, I got an A+ on my report card. LISA: In what? Dork 101? "Dork 101?" Hilarious. If Shakespeare were alive, he would've taken a chance at crafting such timeless dialogue. All in all, kudos to SBTB. It's gone to Hawaii, it's been through college, and yet, it still remains as good as it was in the early 90's.
57 out of 82 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Bayside before it went bad...
Honkon1 June 2001
I remember watching this show when I was about 5 or 6 on TCC. The characters were the best! Zack was the slickest there was, Slater was the muscular jock on the wrestling team. Screech always kept me in stitches with his nerd-like personality. Best bit would have to be foxy cheerleaders Lisa and Kelly played by the beautiful Lark Voorhies and the lovely Tiffany-Amber Theissen. I didn't care too much for Jessie though (A Little Self-Righteous) Also I'd burst into fits when Zack would take a pop at Belding. This show had decent plots (Standard 80s theme). This review would not be worth writing without mentioning the comical presence of Ed Alonzo (It was a shame to write him out, but maybe the characters thought Max was too '80s). This show was goood and I enjoyed the feature length Hawaii Episode. I didn't care for "Saved by the Bell: The College Years". And I agree with whoever said Saved by the bell: The New Class was rubbish! That show sucked big time

Those show was just too boring. Now Nickelodeon UK airs these in reruns, I still watch it. It makes a change from the other shows.

All in All, One of the best shows to come out of the 1980s.
16 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Kooky fun for kids
DoyleLuver11 August 2002
This show may not appeal at all to most people over the age of about 12, due to it's stereotyping and how the six regular cast members manage to be popular, smart, and involved with every club/sport that they could and always happen to become homecoming queen or something. But for a show to last as long as did with such far-fetched ideas proves it had something. The six regulars were the 'blonde Tom Cruise' Zack, A.C. Slater, Screech, Kelly, Jessie, and Lisa. Then of cause their principal Mr Belding who they had a pretty unique relationship with really. Why this will appeal to kids is because it's funny, and it's storylines are easy to follow and entertaining, and of cause there tends to me a moral to each episode. There is nothing offensive about this show, in fact quite the opposite, it is very innocent and not as bad as people make it out to be. It dared to stereotype and got away with it while being entertaining.
12 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this