Quantum Leap (TV Series 1989–1993) Poster

Put right what once went wrong and give this show a movie!
Op_Prime27 August 2000
Quantum Leap was a fantastic science fiction series. Past time travel shows had the main character(s) going back (or forward) in time as themselves. Quantum Leap was so special mainly because Sam is leaping INTO people and experiencing their lives first hand. This made for some very interesting stories like when Sam leaps into a woman or a black man. Of course, having a hologram from his own time (Al) guiding him on his adventures was another key component to the show.

One complaint I've always heard about the show is: if Sam puts right what once went wrong, wouldn't he be altering the future? The answer is no. Sam doesn't leap into anyone famous (often) and so he would not be altering the future dramatically for many. And whenever he does leap into someone famous, everything works out the way history recorded it.

NBC made a huge blunder cancelling this series, especially cancelling it on a cliff hanger. And why won't Universal make a movie? Fans want it and Don Bellisario has expressed an interest in doing one. So come on. Put what right what NBC did wrong and make a movie.
89 out of 98 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"Oooh Boy!"
b_e3Kpi28 August 2004
A highly imaginative idea from Donald P. Bellisario.

The selection of Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell to play the roles of Sam (the quantum leaper) and Al (Sam's advice-giving & holographic guide) was spot on.

The story lines were great. The series consisted mainly of fictional plots, interspersed with the odd story based on real life events. In addition, the show's original signature tune was great!

The acting, especially from Scott and Dean, was first class. In fact, you don't need to be a sci-fi buff to enjoy Quantum Leap ........ a Bellisario masterpiece!

________ 9 out of 10! ________

Carl Giwa.
67 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A great show, and a TV legend
seod199919 July 2002
An absolutely perfect show. It wasn't too technical, it wasn't too Sci-fi. It had the drama of life, and offered some comedy at the same time. Instead of seeing the same person with the same people dealing with their own life, we saw many, many, many different lives all being influenced by one great man who in the end could be deemed a saint. I am happy that the show was able to finish, and just disappear like some other great shows. The show had a good conclusion. It was happy, but it wasn't sappy or ultra-moralistic and joyful. It was the perfect ending for such a case. There isn't a thing they could change about this show. The only thing they could do to make it worse would be to make a movie for TV. Those type of things usually ruin a good show. Quantum Leap though is definitely a TV legend.
68 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Basic Sci-Fi or dramatised sociology?
netty196817 May 2006
I have to admit I may be a little biased as I've always had a soft spot for this programme. I recall watching the pilot when it was originally aired in the UK (1990 I think?) and remember, even then, being transfixed by the subsequent weekly 'leaps' of its main character, Dr. Sam Beckett.

I always thought it was more than just a Sci-fi/ comedic drama as, at times, it was incredibly insightful. The concept was completely innovative and didn't rely to heavily on expensive effects to convey the belief of time travel.

Sam's holographic sidekick Al Calavici (played by Dean Stockwell) provided an above average level of humour, making the viewer laugh out loud at issues which some would consider untouchable (his remark of 'bigot in a moo-moo' regarding one very ample character's racist comments being an example!)

There appeared to be no subject to dangerous to touch and that was what made the programme so engrossing. By examining key issues that could have affected anyone (sexual harassment, racism and teenage pregnancy to name a few), the viewer could not help but be drawn into a theoretical discussion as to the rights and wrongs of each subject.

I could go on but all I can add is that I highly recommend this T.V classic to newcomers as, once you've seen it, you will become as hooked as the millions of other devotees out there!
41 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fertile show that could've gone on longer
S.R. Dipaling12 December 2005
The network gave up on this one quickly,which is a shame.

The adventures of Quantum physicist Dr.Sam Beckett(Scott Bakula,never better it would seem)were documented from week to week as he was sent to leap into the lives of people that spanned the main character's lifetime. Nobody can see him in the situation he's in except for a guide by the name of Al Calovicci(Dean Stockwell,about as sharp a character actor as they come).

The show's initial flush of success in its first season and a half would be slowed by the network's lack of confidence in the show's plateauing ratings,despite a VERY loyal fan base. In fact,if I'm to understand it correctly,had it NOT been for the loyal fans of the show,it probably would've been quietly ushered off the air about a year or two earlier than it actually was.

I LOVED this show. Sure,the conceits of time travel in a movie/TV show can be hokey and can stretch the levels of disbelief,but this show still captured the wonder and possibilities of righting wrongs and recapturing the American past Beautifully. Interesting character leaps and a great interplay between Sam and Al made this show all the more watchable.

Maybe someone,someday will decide to do a movie of the this show.Until then,the DVDs I suppose will have to do.
30 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A great series - one of the best ever
John22 July 2004
What can I say? I loved this series! It had humor, it had sorrow, it had drama, it had suspense. It spanned the dimensions of every emotion, even when the plot was painfully thin.

Sure, there were some episodes that would have been better left on the cutting floor, but for the most part each episode was a single contained enjoyable event.

I didn't like the ending, but as it has been said the network decided to end the series and so they didn't care much how it ended.

I'm waiting for the entire series to be out on DVD (the first season is already out). I could watch these over and over ... and I will!
37 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Smart fun show
InzyWimzy17 August 2005
I enjoy originality. Quantum Leap falls into this, but works on so many levels.

First off, Scott is Sam and Dean is Al. Period. These two created their characters and it's a hoot seeing how they progress throughout the series. The two's bonding (and bantering) is a gem of the series. You'll never cease to get a chuckle from these guys. Next, the writing and storyline is so rewarding that you really get caught up in what leap will be next. Each show was unique in their own way. QL also has the ability to have you laughing one second, serious in another, and then anticipation of will Sam finish the mission. Add in some accidental history changing (we're talking time travel here) and bump-ins with historical figures and Quantum Leap shows there is no competition. Although I was disoriented and perplexed by the last show, that's only because I wish these two could have kept leaping.
25 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Shawn Watson11 March 1999
I loved this show! It was amazing. I was almost crying when it ended. "THEY CAN'T LEAVE IT THERE!", I shouted. It is kind of sentimental and honest at the same time. Everything from the theme music to the inventiveness and unpredictabilty of it all makes it a truly classic show. I hope they make a movie of it some day. If they do it'll be a box office smash.
32 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Catch Up
lovejoypeaceharmony10 October 2005
I was so busy rearing two kids as a single mom while working, volunteering, and taking college courses that I totally missed the original run of the series. I'm playing catch up now, watching the re-runs on Sci-Fi. I happened to run into it just a few months ago -- and only b/c I stayed up too late one night. At first, I thought it was just *too cute,* but now I'm hooked. If I can't stay up till 2AM, I have to record it to find out how the next episode goes. It's fabulous!

I especially like how the show leads me to examine the history of the years between the 1950's through the 1980's -- the good, the bad, and the very, very ugly (e.g., the segregated South). Sure, it's encapsulated into a 60 minute segment, but the writers managed to hit enough of the key points to make it worth the air space. And sure, it's P.C. -- sometimes simplistically so -- but that only goes with the territory of the show's premise, which is the hope that we can make this world a better place for everyone, regardless of race, creed, color, national origin, mental abilities, or socio-economic class. That's not a bad philosophy. In fact, it's the same hope that led me to bear children, and then rear them to have hope for their own futures.
18 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
My favorite TV show of all time
vyperman76 August 2003
Quantum Leap is without a doubt the best show ever created. The idea behind the show of traveling in time to put the wrong things right is incredibly unique, and they managed to pull it off quite effectively. Each episode was extremely well done, and there was never one episode that I didn't like. That is what impressed me the most about this show. In every TV show, there is always at least a couple of episodes that you think are only average at best. However, with Quantum Leap, they were all excellent. You see Sam play everything from a pregnant woman to a chimp. The best thing of all, was that even though you always knew that Sam would leap out at the end of every episode, you were still kept on the edge of your seat wondering if everything would turn out OK. The show never felt predictable, despite having a predictable formula.

Then you have the outstanding on-air chemistry of Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell. They are the reason this show was so good. Bakula's goody two shoes type attitude and his overall morality played off of Stockwell's sex obsessed and overall ladies' man personality extremely well. In my opinion, Al Callavici is one of the best characters ever created. The guy has done everything, the guy is hilarious, and the guy is obsessed with sex. What's not to love?

This is a show that you will ware your VCR out watching. You can watch the show over and over, and never get sick of it. I have every episode on tape, and I have watched the show many times. I still love it just as much as I did after the first time that I saw it. In my opinion, the show could have gone on for at least two more seasons. Both Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell were willing to do it, and show creator Don Bellasario was ready for it as well. NBC decided not to sign on. With the loyal following the show had, I think that NBC made one of its biggest mistakes ever.

My one complaint was how the show was ended. The main reason people watched the show, was to see Sam return home. In the series finale "Mirror Image" it ends with simply saying "Dr Sam Beckett never returned home".

But overall, Quantum Leap was the best show ever put out on television!!

19 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The greatest TV show ever. Could teach a thing or two to many feature films.
Squeele10 June 2007
As a moviegoer, I don't have a great esteem for television. Sure, it has spawned many good shows, and cult characters. But I rarely felt the need to watch EVERY SINGLE EPISODE, afraid of missing even one. And believe me, I'm no short-sighted elitist.

But Quantum Leap is an absolute classic. It's got Heart, great characters, ambitious stories, and it's both accessible and clever. It may not be the strongest Sci-fi concept, but it's the most likely to reconcile the fans of Star Trek AND Magnum P.I. Who could've imagined that?

Donald Bellisario created a true gem of a show, centered around Dr. Sam Beckett (Scott Bakula) a scientist whose time-travelling theories are backed up by the military, represented by the retired Navy Admiral Al Calavicci (Dean Stockwell). The experiment goes wrong, and Sam is sent in the past, with most of his scientific knowledge and memories temporarily erased. His body vanished, his mind now trapped in other's bodies, and Sam soon discovers that a "superior authority" can transfer his mind from time to time, only if he manages to "fix what's broken" and give his "host" a better life. Al can communicate with him through holographic form (only noticeable by children, animals - "and blondes, too") in order to help Sam to complete his mission, whether it's to inspire a song to an artist, defend the case of a young Black in a Southern State court during the segregation days, or help a journalist to obtain a Pulitzer Prize while covering the war in Vietnam.

The variety and humanity of the show is what makes it stand above the others. Some episodes are light and humorous, when others are darker, even tragic. Some conclusions are bittersweet, and help the main characters to evolve slightly, but regularly throughout the show. What helps even more is the fantastic chemistry between the two main characters. Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell have found the role of their lives, delivering touching, funny, overwhelming performances, sometimes in the course of only one episode! They're brilliant, as well as the writing, and art direction who recreates every decade from the 50's to the 80's (and sometimes beyond!) perfectly.

As for the ending... without spoiling it, it's by far the most astounding, bold and emotionally charged episode ever produced in the TV history, as far as I know. So many TV shows end up in disappointment (while so many don't even bother to give us a finale, at all...). "Quantum Leap" ending is rewarding, and intriguing. It's ambitious, happy and sad. It's both on the human scale, and larger than life.

Oh boy, what a show.
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Updated Time Tunnel Worked ... And Then It Didn't Work
A_Different_Drummer14 November 2013
In 1966 a fairly original series popped out of nowhere about two guys who accidentally got caught in a government experiment that was inventing a portal (or bridge, or Stargate) that could transverse time - THE TIME TUNNEL. (A half-century later, shows featuring "ancient astronaut theorists" would opine that the show was based on an actual government project -- but forgive me, I digress). Time Tunnel was, to be fair, not too shabby. About a quarter century later along comes Quantum Leap, which is remarkably similar in concept, save and except for the fact that the traveller literally becomes a person of that period, as opposed to being himself. A lot of fuss has been made about the superb casting, but in the opinion of this viewer, Bacula nailed the part (and was duly awarded by his peers therefor) while Dean Stockwell was just plain flat-out annoying. The quality of the episodes was uneven, but the concept was very strong, and Bacula was always solid, so even the bad ones were good, and the good ones were great. What happened next is unclear. Either the ratings tanked or the network suits did a job rotation. One day the show was on the air, and one day it was not. There were lots of high hopes for Bacula to return to something big, but that never really happened, which is a shame. (Bacula did lead the prehistoric STAR SHIP ENTERPRISE in the last -- and astonishingly awful -- attempt to re-imagine the TV franchise, but was sandbagged by some of the worst writing in the history of TV, yet alone the space saga. If memory serves, there was actually an episode in that short-run series about how a male member of the crew became pregnant from contact with another species?? Lesson to be learnt: network TV did not die, it imploded from an imbalanced sense of self-worth.)
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Dangerously Overrated
Unfortunately, I have watched nearly every episode of "Quantum Leap." Why is this show so acclaimed? In five years, it never went in any interesting direction for more than one episode. In his long years of "leaping from life to life," Dr. Sam Beckett (Scott Bakula) assumes the identities of women, rape victims, too many Southern lawyers, and the mentally retarded. However, every episode, viewers find themselves introduced to entirely new characters in a maddeningly short space of time. We have no time to relate in the slightest to any of these characters. The only two we actually have time to relate to are a larger-than-life hero (impossible) and a lecherous hologram (again, impossible). The series also went to similar places too often, dealing primarily only with the following: death, racial prejudice, and Sam's burning desire to get home. There were a few interesting episodes (for example, Season 5's "Leaping of the Shrew"), but overall, it's just another dangerously overrated inexplicable phenomenon, just like "My Name is Earl" and the new version of "Battlestar Galactica."
10 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It was OK until i got it...
dude-225 March 2009
I give it a 5 for this reason: Betrayal.

I loved the show until i figured out it was someone's descent into sci-fi sanctimony. I confess that I had always wondered just how history "went wrong" and I felt ashamed that it took me so long to get it. Sam did not correct what "somehow" went amiss in history - he corrected his messing it up in the first place. When he leapt back he immediately cause the problems recorded in Ziggy's memory banks which were in reality just a record of all of Sam's dalliances in the past. Later came the bastard notion of what caused it all, "the evil leaper" but what in reality was just Sam's innate god complex at work. Sam's leaps caused all of the problems which he went to solve and thus fueled his ego's assumed role of savior. Poor Sam. Lucky us that he fixed his messes. And the only thing which saved the show for me was the last episode which further propelled Sam into delusional god-hood. The portion where he fixed his worst mistake: Beth and Al - THAT made it all worthwhile. The part about the leaps getting harder and Sam choking up should have made me throw a tomato at the TV but since he restored the lives of Al and Beth, my 20" Bell+Howell color TV which I inherited from my Grandmother (rest her soul) was spared the assault. I see the show as the ultimate case of Munchhausen's Syndrome. Just call me House.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This is not science fiction.
edwithmj17 December 2009
Quantum Leap is a bizarre show which is classed as science fiction despite there barely being any references to the genre throughout the show.

The programme never seems to evolve. It started out from season 1 as a show where Scott Bakula (who has the most irritating voice and face on TV) goes into other persons' lives and puts "right" what once went "wrong". Firstly, it's pretty arrogant and egotistic of Sam Beckett: a man who jumped into a dangerous untested time machine not bothering that he might kill himself and make his wife a widow or get brain-damaged; Al Calavicci: a serial womaniser with the morals of a pimp; and a computer called Ziggy who isn't human to make judgements on what the "rights" and "wrongs" might be throughout each episode.

The "rights" and "wrongs" are just based upon Political Correctness even to the point of Sam teaching people politically correct terms to people. Most of the characters on the show have been victims of discrimination at one point and as a result the deep south is visited far too many times. Character development is very poor. In almost every episode, Sam attempts (and succeeds) in turning various bigots to his value system. The various characters are shallow, predictable and just seem to be there so Sam has someone to talk to. So to recap Sam assumes the roles of and/or has to deal with women, ethnic minorities, racists, the aged, mentally disabled people, animals etc. Whatever one's political opinions it gets boring very quickly which leads me onto my next topic.

As I stated the topics for the episodes are far too based upon the liberal agenda and there aren't nearly enough episodes which answered the scientific questions in the show like how does "leaping" actually work, what it's like in the future, who's controlling his leaping etc. All we ever get are episodes which say they're set in 1964 or whatever but never mention the date again. An example of the good episodes were the Captain Galaxy one as it dealt with another (almost) leaper, the evil leaper episodes, the episode where Sam and Al change place. The evil leaper episode ended so cheaply. I wanted to know WHO she was and who Lothos and Zoe really were, where they came from and WHEN they came from but instead they just ended it all with "she's free now". What an insult (!) and next episode it went back to the standard formula of Sam rescuing someone at the last minute or challenging someone's hatred of goats or whatever. Those episodes I mentioned were the only unpredictable ones; every other one never got me interested.

Sam seems smugly to end each episode having converted the impious to his moral code, and grinning with a girl in his arms. Sam never seems to sleep or have any breaks; in fact he's constantly running around stopping domestic violence and other trivial crimes. Take the Marilyn Monroe episode for example. Sam goes through all that just to have her make one last film and they find out she dies anyway. Does God or the oft-mentioned clichéd "Higher Power" really think that's more important than stopping a war or a rape or something?! The last episode has Al the bartender spouting some nonsense about how Sam changing a few lives is actually changing a lot more because the lives he's saved go on to do good. I don't buy that for a second. That assumes that all the people he saved and their children, friends etc go running after people and save them from quitting dancing because of Deafness etc like little Jesuses as Sam did. Rubbish. You're seriously deluded if preventing a divorce equates to stopping wars etc.

The goofs in Quantum Leap are numerous. I cringed the number of times Sam's "reflection" was out of sync. Al's shadow is constantly seen, and shadows fall on him; when Al does that disappearing thing it's so obviously the cheap camera trick of stopping the film as the background changes slightly. Sam's real reflection is seen many times too. They just didn't bother with the sci-fi part of the show. The scripts, the effects and the ideas weren't geared towards sci-fi at all. It's like they couldn't be bothered to think outside the likes of "let's have Sam leap into a PETA activist who tries to change the attitude of a squirrel hunter in 1970!" Because of the lack of sci-fi, the idea of time travel was limited to getting cheap ratings by having Sam leap into famous people. This got so prominent it got embarrassing: he even leaped into Doctor Ruth. What next? Leaping into Arnold Schwarzenegger to make sure he plays a part in The Terminator?!

The best episode ironically was the last one. Sam finally has the chance to get some answers and even meets another leaper but what happens? The network cancels the show (just when it was getting better) and treats us with a disastrously soppy ending of Sam making sure Beth doesn't remarry. Two things about that: one, why does God or His liberal appeasing name of "Higher Power" think that's more important than stopping a death etc; and two, how do they know preventing Beth from remarrying is a good thing? Perhaps Al starts to beat her or betrays her (he is a womaniser after all); or perhaps the children Beth has with her new husband are never born. That's not nice is it? Erasing someone's existence just to mend Al's broken heart. They never thought it through. The moral messages of the show are messed up and the show is just a soppy drama with (very) slight sci-fi undertones.

In short, the show wasn't sci-fi enough for a sci-fi show and the idea of rescuing oddballs and misfits through time got tired very quickly.
9 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Well Produced But Science is Science Fiction
DKosty12313 September 2007
Donald P. Bellisario is an excellent quality TV producer. All of his shows have a unique production value & a quality look. This show is his best. I know JAG fans would not agree with me, but to me this show is true science fiction where JAG is a mixture of military & science fiction. To me the mixture is not as strong as the pure thing.

Interesting that this show starts in the desert with a science experiment of time travel. That is the same place it's ancient Irwin Allen relative, The Time Tunnel started. Donald P. Bellisario improves on the concept presented by Irwin Allen by actually making his time traveler (Quantum Leaper Scott Bakula) assume the roles of real people in the time he was transported too. This makes for better plotting, but the basic idea of being stuck in time & not being able to get back is the same premise used in Irwin Allen's show.

Bellisario enlists Dean Stockwell as a companion who seems to be able leap into all these times but since he can not usually been seen except by our leaper, he usually is just around to bug him & give him clues about where he is & what he is doing. In spite of all the publicity that Quantum Physics got from this show, it is entirely based upon science fiction.

In fact, if you watch the entire series, you learn more about history than science. The leaps are almost always into eras where something historic is going on & our main character is always being put into peril or is fumbling around trying to figure out just where he is. It is a good show though unfortunately it can not even be watched for history as very often the history is revised to fit out characters & the plot into the circumstances.

So you watch it for the Science Fiction & a good cast of regular actors & guest stars. It is very entertaining & to me much better than the higher rated & over hyped JAG Bellisario did later on CBS.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
My review of Quantum Leap
SteveTheAlien10 September 2012
Quantum Leap is without a doubt, the best show, ever. A perfect story line, and a great cast makes this show come together to provide an excellent show after show, and it keeps you on the edge of your seat between episodes wondering what will happen to Dr Sam Beckett.

Dr. Sam Beckett is a man who created a theory of how to travel through time. The project name is Project Quantum Leap. Which is a time travel experiment based on String Theory. When the government threatened to stop funding Project Quantum Leap he drastically stepped into the accelerator and leaped. He is then sent to a different time and he is a different person. To the audience we see him as Sam but to everyone else he is the person he has leapt into. He can be a man, woman or even animal. He leapes into a different person when he puts right what went wrong. He has the famous line at the end of every episode which is "Oh Boy". Sam Beckett is played by the great actor Scott Backula.

From the help of Al Calavicci, full title Rear Admiral Albert Calavicci, a womaniser who has married 5 times but has never got over his first wife Beth, who remarried when Al was declared MIA in Vietnam. To Al his happiness and his heart always belonged to Beth. He met Sam when he was drunk and trying to beat a vending machine. The two became friends very quickly and they worked together on the Starbright Project. After the StarBright project they started to work on Project Quantum Leap together. When Sam leaped Al was able to speak to Sam as a form of a hologram which only Sam can hear and see. Al helps Sam by telling what to do to be able to leap again hoping that the next leap will bring Sam home. Al explains Project Quantum Leap with the following theory "Life is like a piece of string, one end your birth, the other end your death. Tie the ends together and your life is a loop. If you can travel fast enough along the string, you can arrive at your birth. Ball the loop and the days of your life touch each other out of sequence. Therefore moving from one part of the string to another, will move you backward or forward within your own lifetime" Al is played by the BRILLIANT Dean Stockwell.He is the greatest actor that I have ever layed eyes on. He has a very funny personality which can change when he wants it to so this is what makes him a great actor.

Gooshie is the head computer programmer in Project Quantum Leap. He is known for his bad breath. He is rarely seen. He is played by Dennis Wolfberg.

To sum up Quantum Leap it is the best program that has been made. It contains comedy, action, seriousness and sadnesses. It is a family program that children and adults of all ages will enjoy. If you haven't watched Quantum Leap I would highly recommend to watch it.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Oh boy...I wish they'd make more....
ichwan_mil23 May 2012
Quantum Leap is like nothing you've ever seen on TV. It redefines the meanings of time travel and science fiction at the same time. Sam Beckett, through a scientific project, has his spirit or soul entering someone else's body in the past with means to "put right what once went wrong" of all things surrounding the body he enters .

I remember caught glimpses of Quantum Leap in TV a few times at first, but I didn't pay much attention, as I was just thinking, "What kind of show is this? It has different settings in every episode." I just guessed it was like Alfred Hitchcock presents or Twilight Zones, which were not my favorites, until a friend of mine told me about the show and I finally watched (It was a Season 2 episode "Blind Faith"). And boy, was I stunned, and became an instant keen fan. I'd never wanted to miss any single episode ever since.

The most extraordinary thing about Quantum Leap is, since Sam leaps into various people with various backgrounds, the setting has virtually endless possibilities. As a Sci-Fi show, it does not try to bother us with much technical jargon or scientific terms that often hinder its viewers from fully enjoying the story. I imagine that even the show can run into thousands of episodes without running out of ideas. Basically it is a sci-fi melodrama kind of shows, but at times it could change into comedy (A Tale of Two Sweeties), war (The Leap Home part 2), thriller (Dreams), and even horror (The Boogieman). I couldn't help but stuck in front of the TV as the show played, as well as curious about whom he would leap into next. I even bought the whole DVD sets containing the whole seasons, while my favorites, among others, are 'Blind Faith', 'What Price Gloria?', 'The Great Spontini', 'Temptation Eyes', 'A Tale of Two Sweeties', and 'Pool Hall Blues'.

Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell are just flawless - it is like they were born to be Sam Beckett and Al Calavicci. I couldn't think of other actors that could fit into their characters - Scott is Sam, Sam is Scott, Dean is Al, and Al is Dean, they are inseparable.

Too bad, that gem was killed after only 5 seasons, with unsatisfactory conclusions. 'Sam NEVER leaps home'? How's that? Is it fair, for he sacrifices to save someone else he didn't know (at some points that even threatens his life), and he couldn't help himself? It just can't do the justice.

OK, I know it's overkill, but I feel somehow sad that Sam is trapped somewhere and sometime out there. Whether he is still fighting to put right what once went wrong, or even thrown in the abyss, we could never tell. So, please, does not anybody out there in Hollywood hear him? Save him, give him a chance to be home, and give audiences more times to venture into the brightest light of fantasy TV has ever seen.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
On the contrary.. BEST ending ever.......
carnifx7 December 2006
I'm making this comment in answer to the summary above where the poster states he didn't like the ending.. OK, everyone to their own, but personally I thought QL had the best ending of any show I've ever seen.

There was just so much happening you've got to pay attention, but it's certainly worth it...

When Shtopaw leaps... wow what a twist, I got totally blindsided by that, I just did not see it coming. Great stuff.

Also pay attention to the end credits.. that pic isn't a stock frame, Scott and Dean stood for those 30 sec and smiled to us.. as if to say..'Goodbye, and thanks for watching. It was a really nice touch and I know I appreciated it.

(Best Cartman voice) I love those guys.
A leap for the ages
karolina_k-17 August 2006
I have never been able to pass up watching a "Quantum Leap" episode, and I hope the day never comes where I do. being more on the "fantasy" side of the "Scifi/fantasy" genre - I have ALWAYS loved the idea of traveling through time (not the mechanics of it - the doing of it, and the basic idea) and this show just *clicked* for me.

************* no real spoilers, just allusion to the end of the series **************** Yes, there were some cheesy moments, yes, there were episodes that I didn't like as much as the others, but the whole package made for one of the most satisfying t.v shows I've seen. Did it answer "all the questions"? Nope. But - again, t.v. show! It gave me entertainment, excitement, mystery, horror, fantasy, laughs, and sometimes, something to think on. The last episode made me cry - and that does not happen often, actually.

*********************************end of not real spoilers******* But yes, Quantum Leap is definitely, for me, one of those timeless classic TV shows that I'll never tire of.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One determined man can change lives.
Son_of_Mansfield7 May 2006
It sounds trite, but it is actually one of the greatest television shows of all time. One man leaps from life to life doing for that person or someone in their life what they could not do for themselves. Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell are the only series regulars, but part of the brilliance of the show is that Bakula is a different person every week with a different "mission" and a new set of supporting characters. Bakula plays straight man to Stockwell's badly dressed ladies man. A great meditation on life, because everything is always going wrong for Bakula, yet he concerns himself with helping others around him rather than dwell on his own problems.

P.S. It is also a inventive plot device to have each episode flow slightly into the next, giving viewers a natural teaser of the next show.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The most fantastic series ever
emmahughes_131 October 2003

I was and still am a big fan of Quantum Leap and I have every episode on tape. I think the chemistry between Al and Sam was one of the most appealing things about the show, so that, even if you didn't appreciate a particular episode, you could still enjoy their banter.

A lot of fans disliked the fifth series because some of the rules were 'bent', like leaping into famous people, but if you ignore that, there were still some great episodes. The Lee Harvey Oswald episode was so chilling, watching Sam merge with Oswald and not realise what he was doing.

Of course, when using real people, like JFK, we already know that he is dead and Sam can't save him, so i think it was really clever to suggest that in the QL universe, both JFK and Jackie died, so that Sam changes history to save her and give us the history we know is true.

My favourite episode was 8 and a half months, when Sam is pregnant and about to give birth. Scott Bakula was a more convincing 'pregnant' than some women are on TV! Just him and Al arguing about where the baby is, and Sam eating jello and onions has me in stitches every time I watch it!
drs867530927 February 2003
As an addendum to my review;

I've read comments on this board that the show was "too preachy", "too unrealistic", "too sentimental", etc.

As to Sam's Leaps into other people - this is science-fiction. A willing suspension of disbelief is merited. Additionally, there are hints along the way that it's not just science that has caused this, but something metaphysical... possibly even mystical or spiritual. Science explains much, but there are things that science can't explain.

As to the 'preachy-ness' - the show is about one man doing what he thinks is right. A lone hero, in a world of chaos and confusion. Of course it's preachy - it's supposed to be.

As for the sentimentality - Hollywood has no lack of square-jawed strong-arm 'perfect' heroes with huge guns. The hero of Quantum Leap isn't that - he's an uncertain, not very confident scientist who's bit off more than he can chew, and has only his intelligence his wits, and a few similarly-flawed friends. More, though, he's a man who wants to go home, but "isn't allowed to"; a man who misses his wife, his life, and his world. Much time is devoted to underscoring Sam's waning connection to the life he treasured so much, and that's one of the things that makes him less of a "hero" and more of a human being.

This is all what made Quantum Leap so unique. Al was a womanizing drunk, but he would fight to his last for Sam. Sam was a soft-hearted sometimes-paralysed self-doubter, but he refused to lose hope. Ziggy brow-beat anyone she could with her monstrous ego, but always worked to help Sam and Al, in the end. Gooshie spent his time on the edge of nervous breakdown, but almost never left the Control Room. Tina was a bubble-headed valley-girl, but used her savant-gift for physics to help the Project. The government was usually unable to justify the cost spent on Quantum Leap to save "just one man"...

The story was... human.
Contains a spoiler
Carrie_Anne8 November 2002
I LOVED this programme, I was obsessed with it when it came out....am still obsessed...They HAVE to make a Movie of this, if only to clear up some of the some of the questions that Mirror Image left, like (HERE'S THE SPOILER!)what happened to Sam if he never got home...which is perhaps the saddest ending to anything, ever....incidentally, has anyone seen the episode 'Southern Comforts'? I'm starting to think it doesn't really exist...
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
QUANTUM LEAP will return!
Alex-2744 June 1999
I'm a big fan of the tv-show, and the thing I must say, is, that it got better and better (I love the parts with the female leaper he loves and hates) and the part with Brooke Shields on the Island. Another question: Who knows, why they canceled the show?