IMDb > "Quantum Leap" (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 8 of 10: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Should have been better

Author: drystyx from United States
24 February 2017

A lot of better writers had such a science fiction scenario in mind long before this show about a man's spirit (or soul, or whatever you want to call it) being inserted into a past person's body in order to alter future events.

It's too bad that producers and publishers are deathly afraid of inspiration, talent, and creativity, because they simply have their hacks rewrite good scripts (which they reject from the original writers) into scripts with no life, no inspiration, no depth, nothing.

That is apparently what happened here. This show should have been much better. First of all, it was heavily inundated with neo-Nazi ideology, meaning any woman with dark hair would probably be exterminated in favor of a blonde woman being saved. Needless to say, this was loved by the female audience, but seen as depressing by males.

There is also the poorly explained bad science. The writers seemed to be on hallucinogenic drugs, because there was absolutely no format for the scenario. It was all just magic, and that would be okay if it was supposed to be magical and supernatural, but the writers made a huge mistake in trying to say it was scientific.

This is about as bad as it gets. Again, the woman will love it, but the man will hate it.

What really happened to Dr. Sam Beckett?

Author: barbourwrites from United States
5 February 2011

Quantum Leap is a fantasy series about Dr. Sam Beckett, a physicist, who enters his quantum leap chamber before it is ready. This one act gave Sam the ability to leap into other's body. Unfortunately, he can only leap in his adult body once. Quantum Leap asked the question, "Can one simple act make a difference?" The answer is always yes. Dr. Sam Beckett only leaps into the average person, never the famous. The series' undertone message is one small act can change a person's life. In the series finale Dr. Sam Beckett sealed his fate when he told Al's first wife "Al is still alive." By changing the course of Al's younger life, Sam and Al (may have) never met. Even though, most fans want to believe Sam will stopped leaping for ever, one of the best ways to remember Sam is to think of him as a traveling spirit. So if one day your life suddenly changes for the better and you don't remember how; Sam leaped into your body.

This show had its ups and downs depending on where Sam would leap.

Author: Aaron1375
7 December 2010

I caught this show well after its run was over. I think I caught most of the episodes on USA or some other cable channel. The premise of the show was that this guy randomly leaps from person to person throughout time. He basically is himself, but every person around him sees him as the person he has leaped into. The show was okay, was not a super fan, but I liked certain episodes a lot. Hated a couple too, it just really depended on where he was or what he had to do as he always seemed to have an objective in the time he went to. The show would try to get a bit cute near the end of its run as they introduced an enemy leaper and then the show would end with a very depressing final show that basically said Sam never got back home again. Did not care for that at all and the implications and such. Still, for most of the show it was funny and suspenseful watching him try to figure out what to do to find out what he had to do to make things right with the person that he was within. Scott Bakula did a good job in the lead role and Dean Stockwell was also good as a kind of guide for Sam as he was the one that tried to figure out what needed to be done in the time periods. Interesting show, that I thought was on a bit longer than it was.

Quantum Leap - One of the best sci-fi shows ever.

Author: RUKIA22 from United Kingdom
10 November 2004

Quantum Leap was one of my favourite sci-fi shows when I first saw it for the first time years ago. This series had humour, drama, with heart-warming and touching moments as well. The on-screen partnership of Scott Bakula as Sam Beckett and Dean Stockwell as Al was superb and just perfect and both actors are brilliant in the characters they play with great success. I really loved this show the theme was just amazing and it made me love it even more. The whole idea of time traveling and going back in time in different lives to change what went wrong to right seemed really appealing and intriguing to me. It's so sad that this show ended and I really miss it terribly I hope that they could make a movie one day that would be brilliant. There are so many fans the world over that love this show and I think it's an instant classic that should not be written off until you see it's magic.

DVD Sells

Author: Rebecca Dudas (battatoo@netzero.net) from Peoria, IL USA
20 October 2004

Thank goodness that the powers that be have finally figured out that there are fans out there that will buy the DVD's of their favorite shows. Finally, the whole series will be available for me to enjoy. This is one of the best television shows created. Don Bellasario writes light drama well. He has a knack for setting up great bonding stories among his characters. Plus the military edge to a lot of his programs (Magnum PI, JAG, QL)not only adds depth, but seems to always be able to address the real world problems (Magnum PI was one of the first TV shows to portray Vietnam vets in a positive light). SPOILERS* Time travel has been done on TV to death. But QL gave it a nice edge in the fact that the actors got to experience a lot of different settings and characters including those of another sex and race. The bias may have been a little on the liberal side, but it opened a few eyes to another way of looking at the world.

The second thing that makes this show so outstanding is the acting. I just couldn't believe it when I heard that Dean Stockwell was doing TV. I thought that that was a desperate move, that he was slumming. But it was the best thing that the casting people could've done, and I am amazed still that an actor of his stature did a TV show. The chemistry between Scott Backula (Sam Beckett) and Dean Stockwell (Al Calavechi) was wonderful. They were a good foil for each other and the love between the two was an unusual thing to see on TV. What else but love could explain the episodes MIA, MIRROR IMAGE, SHOCK THERAPY. Only one other show that I can think of used such character development to reach out and beyond its limitations as "just a TV show" and that was the original Star Trek.

Good television transcends the field of entertainment and lives in the hearts of people and becomes part of popular culture and Quantum Leap has certainly done that. So get the DVD's and enjoy a bit of pretend, or appreciate deeply the ultimately harmonious universe that Sam Beckett has helped to create by "putting right what once went wrong".

Best series ever!

Author: (manzarek@gmx.net)
12 May 2004

Hi, i watched them long ago when the series first appeared and liked them very much! Now in this modern times I was able to get them all recorded from Tv and I watched all of them and never got a boring moment! Each leap/episod is unique and interesting! Ypou just got to love Sam an Al( which never stops talking about his wives - all 5 of them)! I shall begin to buy them when they all are avaible on DVD! I never watched the 2004 sequel but shure I will get to sometime in the near future! For all of you who missed it just wathc it you will never forget it!

Very Cool Show!

Author: m_hebner from Kentucky, USA
3 February 2004

I was only 7 years old when the show was first on and I liked it even at 7. even though I haven't seen all of the episodes but the episodes I haven seen I liked. if nobody out has ever seen this show then you sure are missing something because it is a great show if you like show about time traveling and sci-fi. I strongly recommend this show!

Greatest Show Ever

Author: slewalle
13 May 2003

I had to comment on this show after reading the last one on here.

I don't want to hear about all this Hollywood liberal bull bogging this show down.

The fact of the matter is this show was the greatest show of all-time. Great performances by Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell. The storylines were unique and it provided a good message.

To me the show ran 3 seasons too short. I would welcome it at back anytime.

Quantum Leap is one of the best shows in television history

Author: pachin
5 March 2003

Quantum Leap is not your typical science fiction show. It is a great dramatic show that is well acted with great thought provoking plots. Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell have a great chemistry.

The show is about a scientist, Sam Beckett (played by Scott Bakula) who is the head of "Project Quantum Leap" which is a time travel experiment. The experiment goes haywire and Dr. Beckett is forced to travel from time to time within his own lifetime. The gimmick is that Dr. Beckett basically becomes the different person in that time, leaping into the body of a person to help either that person he leaps into or another person in that time. To set right what went wrong. Whenever he leaps into a new body, Sam always finds himself with partial amnesia. Stockwell as Al Calavicci is his holographic guide or helper but cannot be seen by anyone but Dr. Beckett.

If this sounds gimmicky, it is really not. It is an excuse to put the stars in shows of great drama and sometimes comedy. There was an episode in which Sam leaps into an African-American in the South during the 1960's I believe which is one the finest television shows I have ever seen. Another 3 part show in which Sam leaps 3 times to help the one woman from childhood to adulthood was magnificent.

The characters are not cartoony like so many shows today. You care about the characters and understand them. I have never seen a bad episode of the show. It is one of the finest shows in television history.

The FULL Introduction IS remembered!

Author: StarCollector118 from Northwest Ohio
29 January 2003

"Theorizing that one could time travel within his own lifetime, Dr. Sam Beckett stepped into the Quantum Leap accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself trapped in the past, facing mirror images that were not his own, and driven by an unknown force to change history for the better. His only guide is Al, an observer from his own time, who appears in the form of a hologram that only Sam can see and hear. And so, Dr. Beckett finds himself leaping from life to life, striving to put right what once went wrong, and hoping each time that his next leap will be the leap home."

Page 8 of 10: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]