IMDb > "Quantum Leap" (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Quantum Leap"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Quantum Leap" More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Nice 3rd Season, but looks just like syndicated versions

Author: dlermajr2003 (dlermajr2003@yahoo.com) from El Paso Texas
6 June 2005

Don't get me wrong. It's really cool that they left the original season 3 openings on each episode of Quantum Leap. But, this was the first time that I remember recording each episode from its original broadcast, and I was disappointed that every single episode on this collection had the grainy look--just as they appear on sci-fi network. I know for a fact that "Black on White on Fire" had a more "high definition" look during it's original broadcast. Why didn't they leave it that way? I am also disappointed, once again, on the songs being changed on most of the episodes. Why didn't they leave it the original way? I feel like I got ripped off. I also noticed some ugly changes when I purchased the "Seinfeld Season 4" DVD Collection. The frame rate on the "tonight show" sequences on "THE TRIP" and the "Jerry" sequences on "THE PILOT" look like that of "Bowling For Columbine" or "Farenheit 911"--however, those two movies had an excuse: They were on the big screen. Even the Jackass Movie frame rate was improved once it went to video and DVD.

Anyway, the point is, who was in charge of putting these DVDs together. I bet it was the same people--therefore it was a little bit of a rip-off.

To get back to Quantum Leap, I hope that the future DVD releases are done in a lot better fashion. And a request for Universal; when you get to season 5 of the show, please try to leave "Nowhere To Run" with all the original music. I really believe that those songs best represented that episode, and changing them would really screw it up. That episode had a "Forrest Gump" vibe. Please don't change it.

Anyway, if you're a big fan of the show, then it's a must have. Season one has definitely been the best released version of the show. Hopefully Season four will have extras. Well, that's all for now. Thanks.

A Blast!

Author: George Mussman (GEM-20) from Washington State
2 February 2005

It is wonderful to see that Universal is finally putting "Quantum Leap" out on DVD sets. At the time of this writing, the first two seasons have been released, and my family all loves the show.

One of the favorites was in the second season when Sam Beckett leaps into a beautiful girl! The concept of the show is unique. There are endless possibilities where Sam might go.

Scott Bakula was never better. Sure, it is fun to see him come back in "Star Trek - Enterprise", but his best is in "Quantum Leap".

Dean Stockwell is a hoot! The relationship between Al and Sam was perfect. I recommend this show to anyone who enjoys fantasies we all wish we were in.

re: Its a great T. V Show

Author: carl170 from United Kingdom
27 January 2005

What can I say - when so many people have beaten me to the punch. This was a gem of a T.V show. Time Travel/Science Fiction shows or movies are so much taken for granted these days. But this show added a "Human touch" to the proceedings...

You can tell how popular this show was as you have "posts" from all over the world to prove it.

I used to sprint home from Soccer practice to make sure I watched the latest episode of Quantum Leap...

This show reminds me of the late 1960's show called, "Randel and Hopkirk" that was made in the UK (*Remember that show???).. Got the same feel about it - but this show goes that much further.

It was a ground breaking show with regards the main star leaping into other people's bodies and their lives, and then trying to do good, whilst inhabiting that person's body...

The Theme tune was great as well. The opening bars of the theme tune - made you feel great, and brought a great smile to your face each episode you watched. I loved that song or tune that was created for this show...

I hope that they could do another series. I truly, truly think that it would break all box office figures if they did another series. But they would have to make sure that they followed the structure which made the series, such a success in the 1st place....

If they took their time, and made sure that the stories weren't far fetched and feasible - then Quantum Leap would be an instant success again.

But you must get the original actors to do the parts. Please Universal, please.

What do you think...??

Carl Brown Carl@garage-music.com

Brilliant!

Author: drs8675309
27 February 2003

The viewer travels through time with Dr. Samuel Becket (Scott Bakula), a highly moral genius-cum-scientist who creates 'Quantum Leap' - a device that will allow him to time-travel, with the goal "to put right what once went wrong". Each week, viewers saw Dr. Becket 'Leap into' (meaning that his mind switched bodies with) an average person, with the mission to fix something in their lives that has gone terribly wrong. Dr. Becket was in the past, his 'Visitor' was in the future.

On this journey, he is joined by retired USN Rear-Admiral Albert M. Callavicci (Dean Stockwell), a holographic guide who consults with 'Ziggy' - the 'parallel-hybrid supercomputer' that runs the functions of Quantum Leap. With Al's guidance, Sam Leaps from life to life.

But something went wrong.

Dr. Becket, hampered with a memory 'Swiss-cheesed' by the Leaping process, was trapped in the past, Leaping across time, unable to do the one thing he wanted most - to go home.

Quantum Leap, aside from being an engaging sci-fi drama, provokes the viewer to ask questions. Does a person have the right to change something so large as history? Can a person truly control their own destiny?

Quantum Leap was a series that died before its time. The fault for this was not with series creator Don Bellisario, but with the NBC network. The premise of the series was "one man, lost in time, but working to help average people he's never met". NBC pressured Bellisario to put in more 'celebrity' episodes - Dr. Becket Leaps into Marilyn Monroe's bodyguard, Dr. Becket Leaps into Elvis, and so on. Rather than compromise his vision any further, Bellisario brought the show to an end.

In an emotionally-wrenching and philisophically-challenging final episode, "Mirror Mirror" brought Dr. Becket face-to-face with all the lives he's changed... and, possibly, the force that has been Leaping him through time for the last five years of his life.

Dr. Becket is given a choice - accept what he really is... or be lost in time forever.

A mere review cannot communicate the deep emotions and philosophy of the series. Bakula and Stockwell were brilliant in their very realistic and human roles, the writing was consistently of the highest caliber, the filming-values were top-notch... overall, 9/10. An excellent series in all ways.

THIS IS A SPOILER!***** Dr. Becket refused to accept that it was not "Time or God or Fate or Whatever" that was Leaping him... but actually himself. Told by a mysterious yet benevolent entity that the Leaps would get harder, Dr. Becket chose to continue. He Leaped forward in time, somehow as himself and not someone else, and saved the first marriage of his friend Al.

Beth, on Sam's counsel, waited for Al to be rescued from Viet Nam instead of having her MIA husband declared dead and remarrying. Beth and Al remained married to the 'present day' of the series.

Dr. Sam Becket never returned home. THIS IS A SPOILER!*****

A part of my childhood

Author: Sintek from U.S
4 December 2002

Looking back at the television I watched and loved growing up, three shows come to mind: Mystery Science Theater 3000, Beavis & Butthead and Quantum Leap.

While not all episodes of QL were as intelligent as I would have hoped (some were just downright hokey and super-saccharine), a lot of the classics make great memories (Sam as the T.V space captain trying to prove he's not insane [awesome ending]; Jimmy; the "evil vs. good leaper" series and, of course, the last episode--it's some more of that sort of surrealism that T.V could use.

Now for the preachy section of this review: Network television is dying a slow and painful-to-look-at death. When I see shows like "The Bachelor" and the latest episodes of "The Simpsons", I feel like I've lost a best friend. The essence of QL or MST or even the early Simpsons must be injected into new series if "good" television is to have a future. Otherwise, buckle up for "Survivor 27: The Cornfields of Nebraska".

Classic!

Author: John Langbein (medrjel) from Dixie, USA
21 February 2002

"Theorizing one could time-travel within his own lifetime, DR BECKETT LED AN ELITE GROUP OF SCIENTISTS TO A SECRET DESERT BASE TO FORM PROJECT QUANTUM LEAP. PRESSURED TO PROVE HIS THEORIES CORRECT OR LOSE FUNDING, Dr Beckett stepped into the Quantum Leap accelerator, and vanished..."

Since no one else remembers the FULL introduction.

This has to be one of the best shows ever. Scott Bakula proved his acting ability, playing a variety of roles, yet somehow maintaining his main character. Dean Stockwell provided the needed humor and information to keep you on track. Who can forget him singing "Inchworm" or "The Alphabet Rap"... well, if you can call it singing. Scott was Brilliant in the scenes we saw from Man of La Mancha (I would love to see him do the whole musical for real).

The time travel portion, while it had fairly strict rules, it was more a way to set up a plot. It kept the show fresh because the story was new every week, with a rare revisitation to old favorites (Jimmy - to name one).

This was great drama, with a sci-fi twist, but mainly great drama. On top of everything else, you get the rare unexpected twist at the end which shows all the "work" they did was irrelevant when they were really there to fix something else, and that took 5 seconds after all was said and done. It was just rare enough that it would surprise you when they did it.

In the final season, the show declined as they bowed to network wishes and became a "major history event" revisionist. I would of rather seen Sam as Lee Harvey Oswald save a dog, only to find out one of the puppies it was destined to have was to be named Checkers and given to Nixon than the types of things they did. Marilyn Monroe was another disappointing story. Still, there were great stories still in there.

* *Possible Finale SPOILER* A lot of people pan the finale, but I found it bittersweet and proper for the tone of the show. In fact, for me it closed the arc. What Sam Beckett started in the beginning of the first show, he completed in the final episode. He knew what the costs were, and what risks existed. His foot passed through the door in the first episode, and he finished walking though in the last. *END POSSIBLE SPOILER SECTION* *

This was a show that was never given the proper chance, since it had the "Stigma" of being Sci-Fi, and aside from the minor networks, Sci-Fi is a phrase that kills in the Major networks. I find it sad that Scott never won an Emmy for his performance, especially in the episode "Shock Theater".

It is incredible, but so much can change in a scene with an edit. Only once have I ever seen in full the episode MIA, and one scene I feel is critical has been cut from all viewings since. It involves Mary Beth, and her initial contact with the lawyer when she has the flat before Sam arrives to help. That little extra scene makes such a big difference in impact later on.

If you get a chance to see this show, do it. It's one of the few Sci-fi shows that seems to have as huge a female following as it does a male. That's because good writing attracts everyone.

Can't vote a rating, but I would give it 10 of 10, in spite of obvious faults, shortcomings, and bad episodes. Overall it was one of the best dramas ever produced bar none!

Excellent Blend of Science Fiction, Good Writing, and Acting.

Author: John from Southfield, MI
16 January 2002

One very wonderful attribute of the Internet Movie Database is that it allows everyday people to voice their opinions of any movie or television program they have seen. Someone in the entertainment community wisely sees that the people who view the movies and programs have an opinion and has given them the means to state their own reviews. Naturally, some reviews are good, and some are bad. Different people may have different opinions of the same product. However, the differing viewpoints are outstanding.

As of the day I submitted my upcoming opinions of "Quantum Leap", 34 opinions have been displayed. "Quantum Leap" had to be one special show for so many people to want to give their praise. I am number 35 to date.

This product called "Quantum Leap" was a terrific combination of great science fiction, fantastic acting, creative writing, and a innovative look into history.

Naturally, there were flaws, especially from the scientific end. For example, Al was a hologram. However, a hologram is a three-dimensional image taken from a beam of light. It does not cast a shadow. I've seen Stockwell's shadow on the ground a few times. Another problem was the image that Sam saw which was not his own. During the very first episode, Sam saw this strange image for the first time. He jumped at the image due to his shock. The image, though, did not jump at the same time. They were supposed to jump in unison. This emphasized that fancy camera work was used. For future episodes, when looking at his strange image through a mirror, Sam moved slowly so that the phenomenon can appear more convincing. There were other times when the details were right on point. One thing I remember was in an episode when Sam was watching a TV which was covered in glass, the image of the other person was reflected in that glass. This demonstrates that glass is a variation of a mirror, and it also reflects images.

Enough of the scientific details. The other elements of the show were so great, I cannot go into details here because I will exceed my 1,000-word limit. The dimwits who produce the junk for science fiction shows currently running in first-run syndication need to watch a few episodes of "Quantum Leap" to learn how science fiction should be delivered as a TV series. The premise of creating a time machine and getting trapped in it. Can any sci-fi premise be better? The show flowed wonderfully from that premise. Heck, even the theme music was excellent!

It was too bad that "Q.L." got canceled. I've read many other reviews here that say that it should be a movie. Seeing that Scott Bakula is now doing the sci-fi "Enterprise", he would be well-groomed for that transition. I wonder if D. Stockwell would be game. I'm sure he would.

By the number of reviews that have been submitted, and the addition of reviews that I'm sure will be added in the coming years, will certainly show that this show is missed, and will be enjoyed forever in their reruns.

Oh boy...what an adventure!

Author: AllisonLVenezio from Jersey shore, USA
25 September 2001

Could you ever imagine leaping from time period to time period, into someone else's body, living their life and changing history? Sounds like the plot for a really cool movie, right? Well, it's actually a weekly series.

Scott Bakula stars as Dr. Sam Beckett, whose time machine isn't quite ready yet. Every week, Sam is transported to a new time period and lives as a different person for a day, awaking as a new person with amnesia. He must change history in order to make another "leap"--each leap closer to the one that will take him home again.

We get to hear Sam's inner thoughts on his situation, and his friend Al shows up rather conveniently in hologram form (Sam and the audience can see him, but the people around him can't, making conversations with his "invisible" friend seem awkward at best). At the beginning of each episode, Sam looks into a mirror, which shows him the man, woman, child, or even animal (yes, animal) he is. Every week, he coins his phrase "Oh boy," and then we go to the opening credits. Each episode offers a "sneak peek" as to where Sam will be next (He leaps at the conclusion of each episode, ensuring the audience that they'll be back next week (or in ou case now, back tomorrow for the next rerun.) However, there is one problem: If you miss the end of the previous episode, you must watch the absolute beginning, or the episode will make no sense to you whatsoever.

I began watching this show only several days ago, and I was immediately hooked. Bakula is fabulous as Sam Beckett, who just wants to take the leap to get back home. Bakula embodies every quality of an unlikely hero as Beckett, changing history and paving a better future.

This is an amazing and imaginitive show for anyone interested in the "body switching" genre, science fiction, or fantasy. Watch this show, you will never be disappointed!

I have become hooked once again

Author: john_murdoch2002 from United States
30 August 2001

"Quantum Leap" is a fantastic show that has seemed to grow up with me. I loved watching it when it first came on, I remember being addicted to it when it was on USA, and now that it's on Sci-Fi, I've become hooked once again. Sam Beckett is my all-time favorite television hero, probably my all-time favorite hero, as well. He has a wonderful Jimmy Stewart quality about in him this show, but what I find the most appealing about his character is how he tries to help everyone he comes in contact with. That's the kind of hero I look up to, the everyday man who just tries to do good and Scott Bakula pulls this role off with style and restraint. Dean Stockwell is perfect as Sam's sidekick, Al Calavicci, who acts as his guide. Stockwell is energetic enough to make his presence both enjoyable to watch and onw who we anticipate his arrival.

I would love to see this made into a movie and would enjoy watching how it would be pulled off, whether it would follow one leap or many leaps that seem to be connected like in "Trilogy." If not a movie, then a revived television series. Whatever happenes, I will continue to watch the show and await the moment when it is announced that episodes will be released on DVD. That would be really interesting to see. "Quantum Leap" has found a special place in my heart and is one of my all-time favorite television shows. In fact, it's made such an impact on me, I found myself replacing expletives with "Oh boy."

Great show!

Author: Daniel (TERMINATOR180) from United States
30 July 2001

Luckily, if you haven't seen this show, you can still catch it on the Sci-Fi channel. Dean Stockwell is the comedic Ladies Man of the show, and Scott Bakula is the Intelligent "Leaper" who leaps into other people's bodies to prevent deaths, and other disastrous events in people's lives, to "put right what once went wrong". The show has Suspense, occasional Horror, and great Science Fiction to it. Even if you don't like Science fiction, Dean Stockwell and Scott Bakula make this worth watching (Like Arnold made The Terminator an instant classic)

This is a great show to get into daily, with the end of each "Leap" you see him leaping into the next person, so you know what tommorrow will bring. This show has lots of Guest Appearances also. Check it out sometime on the Sci-Fi channel.

Page 5 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]