IMDb > "Quantum Leap" (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Quantum Leap"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Quantum Leap" More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Review/ Missing Episodes

Author: malou21
28 November 2013

In season 1, this site is missing two episodes. Quantum Leap Volume 1,Ep. 10 "What Price Gloria?" Quantum Leap Volume 1,Ep. 11 "A Portrait For Trojan"

I am not sure why they are left off of the episodes list. However, they are listed on Amazon.com to purchase and then watch.

I believe this is still a very relevant show in today's world.I also think they need to make this into a full length feature film. Especially, since all the superhero movies have become so incredibly popular. What kid or adult wouldn't want the power to travel back in time and change some of the situations that have unfolded? Or if not the superhero route, then make it a government project to the likes of Minority Report. Either way, I believe this show still has a strong fan base that can carry it into the modern day and make it a hit! I give this series a very strong 9! It may not be the greatest TV show the world has ever seen but it is for a classic!

If You Like Time Travel, You Would Love This!

Author: ShelbyTMItchell from Seymour Tennessee
24 October 2013

Great TV for the 80s made for great scripts, writing, acting, and directing. Also it is rare to see a time travel program on TV or less on the movies as it just ain't popular with audiences.

Well anyway, Scott Bakula stars as the time traveling hero, Sam Beckett. Who has to travel and be someone else but does not see himself actually in the mirror but the person that he becomes, whether, woman, man, child, even an animal!

Project is called the "Quantum Leap" project as he is aided by Al, the wisecracking mentor and boss whom only Sam can hear or see. And very rarely, children and animals played with charm by Dean Stockwell.

As they both must put time right and the situations right. That are wrong before they come on the air. To make it right with others. And the situations along the way before Sam can move to the "Situation and person of the week!"

Very charming and really a beloved show!

interesting

Author: Armand from Romania
8 March 2013

in childhood, the idea of time travel was one of my favorite.after years, this series becomes answer to this passion. not only for its story - really great. or for the adventures of a traveler in time.but for the seductive acting. surgery on time body, smart game with events, fascinating for each metamorphose of lead character, nice for the performance of Dean Stockwell, it remains one of touching memories from " 90's. its virtue - the mixture between S. F. and fairy - tale. the admirable script. and the possibility to identified you with fragile quantum leap. slices of human avatars and policier, it remains a beautiful series. and interesting travel in imagination rooms.

Oh boy...I wish they'd make more....

Author: ichwan_mil from Indonesia
23 May 2012

Quantum Leap is like nothing you've ever seen on TV. It redefines the meanings of time travel and science fiction at the same time. Sam Beckett, through a scientific project, has his spirit or soul entering someone else's body in the past with means to "put right what once went wrong" of all things surrounding the body he enters .

I remember caught glimpses of Quantum Leap in TV a few times at first, but I didn't pay much attention, as I was just thinking, "What kind of show is this? It has different settings in every episode." I just guessed it was like Alfred Hitchcock presents or Twilight Zones, which were not my favorites, until a friend of mine told me about the show and I finally watched (It was a Season 2 episode "Blind Faith"). And boy, was I stunned, and became an instant keen fan. I'd never wanted to miss any single episode ever since.

The most extraordinary thing about Quantum Leap is, since Sam leaps into various people with various backgrounds, the setting has virtually endless possibilities. As a Sci-Fi show, it does not try to bother us with much technical jargon or scientific terms that often hinder its viewers from fully enjoying the story. I imagine that even the show can run into thousands of episodes without running out of ideas. Basically it is a sci-fi melodrama kind of shows, but at times it could change into comedy (A Tale of Two Sweeties), war (The Leap Home part 2), thriller (Dreams), and even horror (The Boogieman). I couldn't help but stuck in front of the TV as the show played, as well as curious about whom he would leap into next. I even bought the whole DVD sets containing the whole seasons, while my favorites, among others, are 'Blind Faith', 'What Price Gloria?', 'The Great Spontini', 'Temptation Eyes', 'A Tale of Two Sweeties', and 'Pool Hall Blues'.

Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell are just flawless - it is like they were born to be Sam Beckett and Al Calavicci. I couldn't think of other actors that could fit into their characters - Scott is Sam, Sam is Scott, Dean is Al, and Al is Dean, they are inseparable.

Too bad, that gem was killed after only 5 seasons, with unsatisfactory conclusions. 'Sam NEVER leaps home'? How's that? Is it fair, for he sacrifices to save someone else he didn't know (at some points that even threatens his life), and he couldn't help himself? It just can't do the justice.

OK, I know it's overkill, but I feel somehow sad that Sam is trapped somewhere and sometime out there. Whether he is still fighting to put right what once went wrong, or even thrown in the abyss, we could never tell. So, please, does not anybody out there in Hollywood hear him? Save him, give him a chance to be home, and give audiences more times to venture into the brightest light of fantasy TV has ever seen.

A show ahead of its time

Author: Maniac-9 from St. Louis, MO
2 February 2012

Quantum Leap was a show way ahead of its time as far as network dramas go. A show that started in the late 80's and aired through the early 90's dealing with time travel. Before then all of the TV dramas were all cop, doctor and lawyer type of shows. QL combined drama, sci fiction, action and comedy at times.

The show starred Scott Bakula as Dr. Sam Beckett and Dean Stockwell as Admiral Al Calavicci, they were the only actors to appear in every episode. Sam is trapped in a time travelling paradox of sorts with Al in the present goes into a special room that is able to advise Sam along the way appearing as a hologram. One each time travel the duo has to fix something that went wrong in the past before being able to leap to the next time. Sam hopes with each subsequent leap that it'll the leap home.

Re-watching This Gem of a Show

Author: hyf2112 from United States
24 January 2012

I'm currently re-watching this show on Hulu after not having seen an episode since the finale aired. I loved it back then and rarely missed an episode. Not easy to do in the days before DVR's. While some of the effects have not stood up well to the changing technologies, the subjects of the show itself are still as relevant today as they were 20 years ago. Yes, some episodes fell kind of flat, others were a bit preachy about social issues, but on the whole the show was very well written and superbly acted by Scott and Dean. Like most great sci-fi shows (Battlestar Galactica, Firefly, Enterprise), the sci-fi or fantasy aspect takes second place to the actual story. I read a lot of complaints about the 5th season. It did have a few stinkers, but overall I think it was my favorite. The Lee Harvey Oswald episodes (some of Scott's best acting on the series), Trilogy, the evil leaper episodes, and the Finale are all episodes I count among my favorites. The chemistry between Al and Sam is really what made the show so great. It was somewhat cliché with Sam being the straight no-nonsense guy and Al the fun-loving, usual comic-relief sidekick, but the 2 actors really pulled it off brilliantly from the pilot episode all the way to the end. I highly recommend discovering or, like me, re-discovering this series for yourself!

Oh Boy!

Author: Maddyclassicfilms from United Kingdom
26 April 2011

Created by Donald P.Bellisario(NCIS)Quantum Leap was one of the most popular TV series of the 90's and ran from 1989-1993. The series stars Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell.

Quantum Leap is a time travel show that's got something for everyone,from humour, tears and action to clever special effects.

Scientist Dr Sam Beckett(Scott Bakula)is the head of a top secret Government project called Quantum Leap.It is a time travel experiment conducted at a base in the desert,despite not being fully ready Sam decides to test it and so he steps into the energy chamber and vanishes. He finds himself trapped in the body of a test pilot in the 1950's.It's here that things get interesting because Dr.Beckett doesn't just journey back somewhere but leaps into a person and everyone of that time sees him as whoever he has leapt into.

Each week Sam leaps into someone living between the early 50's and the late 80's and tries to put right whatever wrongs blighted their lives.He's not alone on this unique and strange journey,he's able to stay in contact with his own time through brainwave transmissions from his best friend(and the project observer)Admiral Al Calavicci(Dean Stockwell).

Al is a former Navy officer and Vietnam POW,who loves women,cigars,loud shirts and fast cars.He can go where Sam goes in the form of a hologram that only Sam can see and hear.

Al is able to give Sam information on where and who he's leapt into courtesy of the projects super computer,Ziggy.Scott and Dean have a genuine chemistry which greatly adds to the depiction of the duo's friendship and many of the series most touching and funny moments are between these two.

Interesting,funny and touching it's enough to make you want to begin your own leap through time right away.

The Best New Show to Welcome the 90s!

Author: ferrisbeuller20 from Stallions Range, NM
16 February 2007

I have seen this show plenty of times repeated on Sci-Fi Channel and now I have the complete seasons (1-5) all on DVD. I must say I still like it to this day as I did back when it premiered back in the 89 Fall Season. Sure, it was a drama at times, but it had a lot of heart and character and a few good laughs that went into what made the show rememberable. Whether it was Al's womanizing or Sam trying to steer him straight to the problem at hand, they always seemed to accomplish the Leap that God, Fate, Time, or Whatever put them there. This show taught you a lot about History and even at the very end people usually say the show goes downhill, but not this show, it only got better as it went on. Too bad it only lasted 5 Seasons, Im sure it would of continued on way after. Hopefully, despite what Scott has said, there should be a Q.L. movie! But that will be for later. My Advice, get the DVDs while you can, they are only 5 of them.

Highly Entertaining Science Fiction Series

Author: FloatingOpera7 from United States
6 April 2006

From 1989 to 1993, this series enjoyed a successful run, mostly because of the well-written episodes and the science-fiction escapism of it all. I was too small to remember even seeing this show on TV. I had regular TV and maybe it was on cable TV. Now, they air re-runs on the Sci-Fi channel. Actor Scott Bakula (now better known as the Captain in Star Trek Enterprise on channel 13) played the lead, an ordinary guy straight out of the late 80's who is whisked away into a different time period and a different body in every episode. "The Observer" is deliberately manipulating all this, so as to change the course of history for the better and acting as God. Scott Bakula is wonderful here, in fact he is doing his best TV work. He is comedic, emotional, masculine, strong, smart, resourceful and able to rely on his brains and brawns to get through tough situations. Bakula was trained as a singer and in the show he even managed to belt out a few tunes. Everyone has a favorite episode for there have been many fine ones that find him in precarious situations as he often got into a body of a person he loathed to be. In one two-part episode he becomes Harley Lee Oswald and he has the chance to change history and save John F. Kennedy. Instead, history repeats itself (a theme of the show) and saves Jackie Kennedy instead. Straight out its time (the late 80's, early 90's) this was one highly enjoyable show and one that enjoyed big ratings. They don't make shows like this anymore. Although action was always present, the characters often used their wits and brains as well. Terrific show.

Scott Bakula at his best

Author: pwynne-3 from Canada
28 January 2006

QL is and will always be one of my all-time favorite shows. As a character actor leaping into different personalities, he adapts episode after episode with flawless and often touching performances. The writing is brilliant but it takes a skilled performer to wear every type of garb and make it believable. He has the ability to take each role seriously, even in the comedy episodes, and play it for realism. It never comes across as hokey or satirical. That takes talent. Besides, he's as cute as a bug's ear. I'm saving up to buy all the seasons on DVD. I have gained a great many insights from watching the show. My favorite? All of them.

Page 4 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]