IMDb > "Quantum Leap" (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Quantum Leap"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Quantum Leap" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Put right what once went wrong and give this show a movie!

Author: SpideyTerry from Ardmore, PA
27 August 2000

Quantum Leap was a fantastic science fiction series. Past time travel shows had the main character(s) going back (or forward) in time as themselves. Quantum Leap was so special mainly because Sam is leaping INTO people and experiencing their lives first hand. This made for some very interesting stories like when Sam leaps into a woman or a black man. Of course, having a hologram from his own time (Al) guiding him on his adventures was another key component to the show.

One complaint I've always heard about the show is: if Sam puts right what once went wrong, wouldn't he be altering the future? The answer is no. Sam doesn't leap into anyone famous (often) and so he would not be altering the future dramatically for many. And whenever he does leap into someone famous, everything works out the way history recorded it.

NBC made a huge blunder cancelling this series, especially cancelling it on a cliff hanger. And why won't Universal make a movie? Fans want it and Don Bellisario has expressed an interest in doing one. So come on. Put what right what NBC did wrong and make a movie.

"Oooh Boy!"

Author: Carl Giwa from Oxford, England.
28 August 2004

A highly imaginative idea from Donald P. Bellisario.

The selection of Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell to play the roles of Sam (the quantum leaper) and Al (Sam's advice-giving & holographic guide) was spot on.

The story lines were great. The series consisted mainly of fictional plots, interspersed with the odd story based on real life events. In addition, the show's original signature tune was great!

The acting, especially from Scott and Dean, was first class. In fact, you don't need to be a sci-fi buff to enjoy Quantum Leap ........ a Bellisario masterpiece!

________ 9 out of 10! ________

Carl Giwa.

A great show, and a TV legend

Author: seod1999 from California, USA
19 July 2002

An absolutely perfect show. It wasn't too technical, it wasn't too Sci-fi. It had the drama of life, and offered some comedy at the same time. Instead of seeing the same person with the same people dealing with their own life, we saw many, many, many different lives all being influenced by one great man who in the end could be deemed a saint. I am happy that the show was able to finish, and just disappear like some other great shows. The show had a good conclusion. It was happy, but it wasn't sappy or ultra-moralistic and joyful. It was the perfect ending for such a case. There isn't a thing they could change about this show. The only thing they could do to make it worse would be to make a movie for TV. Those type of things usually ruin a good show. Quantum Leap though is definitely a TV legend.

Basic Sci-Fi or dramatised sociology?

Author: netty1968 from United Kingdom
17 May 2006

I have to admit I may be a little biased as I've always had a soft spot for this programme. I recall watching the pilot when it was originally aired in the UK (1990 I think?) and remember, even then, being transfixed by the subsequent weekly 'leaps' of its main character, Dr. Sam Beckett.

I always thought it was more than just a Sci-fi/ comedic drama as, at times, it was incredibly insightful. The concept was completely innovative and didn't rely to heavily on expensive effects to convey the belief of time travel.

Sam's holographic sidekick Al Calavici (played by Dean Stockwell) provided an above average level of humour, making the viewer laugh out loud at issues which some would consider untouchable (his remark of 'bigot in a moo-moo' regarding one very ample character's racist comments being an example!)

There appeared to be no subject to dangerous to touch and that was what made the programme so engrossing. By examining key issues that could have affected anyone (sexual harassment, racism and teenage pregnancy to name a few), the viewer could not help but be drawn into a theoretical discussion as to the rights and wrongs of each subject.

I could go on but all I can add is that I highly recommend this T.V classic to newcomers as, once you've seen it, you will become as hooked as the millions of other devotees out there!

Fertile show that could've gone on longer

Author: S.R. Dipaling from Topeka, Kansas, USA
12 December 2005

The network gave up on this one quickly,which is a shame.

The adventures of Quantum physicist Dr.Sam Beckett(Scott Bakula,never better it would seem)were documented from week to week as he was sent to leap into the lives of people that spanned the main character's lifetime. Nobody can see him in the situation he's in except for a guide by the name of Al Calovicci(Dean Stockwell,about as sharp a character actor as they come).

The show's initial flush of success in its first season and a half would be slowed by the network's lack of confidence in the show's plateauing ratings,despite a VERY loyal fan base. In fact,if I'm to understand it correctly,had it NOT been for the loyal fans of the show,it probably would've been quietly ushered off the air about a year or two earlier than it actually was.

I LOVED this show. Sure,the conceits of time travel in a movie/TV show can be hokey and can stretch the levels of disbelief,but this show still captured the wonder and possibilities of righting wrongs and recapturing the American past Beautifully. Interesting character leaps and a great interplay between Sam and Al made this show all the more watchable.

Maybe someone,someday will decide to do a movie of the this show.Until then,the DVDs I suppose will have to do.

MY FAVORITE TV SHOW

Author: Shawn Watson from The Penumbra
11 March 1999

I loved this show! It was amazing. I was almost crying when it ended. "THEY CAN'T LEAVE IT THERE!", I shouted. It is kind of sentimental and honest at the same time. Everything from the theme music to the inventiveness and unpredictabilty of it all makes it a truly classic show. I hope they make a movie of it some day. If they do it'll be a box office smash.

A great series - one of the best ever

Author: John from New Mexico, USA
22 July 2004

What can I say? I loved this series! It had humor, it had sorrow, it had drama, it had suspense. It spanned the dimensions of every emotion, even when the plot was painfully thin.

Sure, there were some episodes that would have been better left on the cutting floor, but for the most part each episode was a single contained enjoyable event.

I didn't like the ending, but as it has been said the network decided to end the series and so they didn't care much how it ended.

I'm waiting for the entire series to be out on DVD (the first season is already out). I could watch these over and over ... and I will!

Smart fun show

Author: InzyWimzy from Queens, NY
17 August 2005

I enjoy originality. Quantum Leap falls into this, but works on so many levels.

First off, Scott is Sam and Dean is Al. Period. These two created their characters and it's a hoot seeing how they progress throughout the series. The two's bonding (and bantering) is a gem of the series. You'll never cease to get a chuckle from these guys. Next, the writing and storyline is so rewarding that you really get caught up in what leap will be next. Each show was unique in their own way. QL also has the ability to have you laughing one second, serious in another, and then anticipation of will Sam finish the mission. Add in some accidental history changing (we're talking time travel here) and bump-ins with historical figures and Quantum Leap shows there is no competition. Although I was disoriented and perplexed by the last show, that's only because I wish these two could have kept leaping.

Catch Up

Author: lovejoypeaceharmony from United States
10 October 2005

I was so busy rearing two kids as a single mom while working, volunteering, and taking college courses that I totally missed the original run of the series. I'm playing catch up now, watching the re-runs on Sci-Fi. I happened to run into it just a few months ago -- and only b/c I stayed up too late one night. At first, I thought it was just *too cute,* but now I'm hooked. If I can't stay up till 2AM, I have to record it to find out how the next episode goes. It's fabulous!

I especially like how the show leads me to examine the history of the years between the 1950's through the 1980's -- the good, the bad, and the very, very ugly (e.g., the segregated South). Sure, it's encapsulated into a 60 minute segment, but the writers managed to hit enough of the key points to make it worth the air space. And sure, it's P.C. -- sometimes simplistically so -- but that only goes with the territory of the show's premise, which is the hope that we can make this world a better place for everyone, regardless of race, creed, color, national origin, mental abilities, or socio-economic class. That's not a bad philosophy. In fact, it's the same hope that led me to bear children, and then rear them to have hope for their own futures.

My favorite TV show of all time

Author: vyperman7 from San Jose, CA
6 August 2003

Quantum Leap is without a doubt the best show ever created. The idea behind the show of traveling in time to put the wrong things right is incredibly unique, and they managed to pull it off quite effectively. Each episode was extremely well done, and there was never one episode that I didn't like. That is what impressed me the most about this show. In every TV show, there is always at least a couple of episodes that you think are only average at best. However, with Quantum Leap, they were all excellent. You see Sam play everything from a pregnant woman to a chimp. The best thing of all, was that even though you always knew that Sam would leap out at the end of every episode, you were still kept on the edge of your seat wondering if everything would turn out OK. The show never felt predictable, despite having a predictable formula.

Then you have the outstanding on-air chemistry of Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell. They are the reason this show was so good. Bakula's goody two shoes type attitude and his overall morality played off of Stockwell's sex obsessed and overall ladies' man personality extremely well. In my opinion, Al Callavici is one of the best characters ever created. The guy has done everything, the guy is hilarious, and the guy is obsessed with sex. What's not to love?

This is a show that you will ware your VCR out watching. You can watch the show over and over, and never get sick of it. I have every episode on tape, and I have watched the show many times. I still love it just as much as I did after the first time that I saw it. In my opinion, the show could have gone on for at least two more seasons. Both Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell were willing to do it, and show creator Don Bellasario was ready for it as well. NBC decided not to sign on. With the loyal following the show had, I think that NBC made one of its biggest mistakes ever.

My one complaint was how the show was ended. The main reason people watched the show, was to see Sam return home. In the series finale "Mirror Image" it ends with simply saying "Dr Sam Beckett never returned home".

But overall, Quantum Leap was the best show ever put out on television!!

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]