IMDb > "Mr. Bean" (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Mr. Bean"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Mr. Bean" More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

After nearly a decade, Bean is still champ!

Author: nick_z13 from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
29 August 2003

I first saw a Mr.Bean episode when I was 5 in 1995 and I loved it! After that episode was over, I just want to see more and more of that show. Rowan Atkinson can make you laugh without talking and without adult humour. I love Mr.Bean so much that I even bought the entire series on DVD so I can watch it over and over again any time I want. The show lasted six years, it has been eight years since the show ended, but it's still number one. Comparing Mr.Bean to the other comedies like King of the Hill and the Simpsons, those other shows are nothing, because Mr.Bean isn't boring (King of the Hill) and the show isn't trying to be funny (Simpsons). Next to Seinfeld, Mr.Bean is the greatest show EVER!

Hilairious!

Author: Banjo_Bean112 (Banjo_Jake112@hotmail.com)
1 February 2002

If you ever a good pick-me up then Mr.Bean is the best medicine. Mr.Bean travel through London doing errands which include going to church and taking an exam. He also goes to a restaurant, a royal screening and Mr.Bean has a credit card, be afraid, be very afraid. I'm sick now and I think all Beans are a good pick me up.

Pure British humor: a full plate

Author: Atreyu_II from The world of artists
28 October 2007

"Mr. Bean" is one of the craziest, silliest and most hilarious TV serious ever created. This is British humor at its best. Classic! This TV show is always extremely humorous and amusing. The main character of the show (Mr. Bean) is really a very funny guy.

Mr. Bean is so ingenuous, so simple, so goofy, so silly and so stupid that you can't help but laugh hysterically whenever he does something... and when he does, he always does it wrong - lol.

The most amazing thing about this TV show is its silent humor. I mean, it is mostly mute cinema, but has the power to make us laugh just as much (if not more) as the «talkative cinema». This TV series and the character Mr. Bean himself are inspired by the silent movies and artists from the past, especially Charlie Chaplin. No wonder that Mr. Bean is often called the «Charlot of the modern times».

This is one of those classic TV shows which we can hear the public's laughter and give good laughters every single minute. One example of another classic TV series which this happens is "Family Ties". They don't make them like this anymore.

One final word for the actor Rowan Atkinson. All I can say is «What a comedy genius!». Nobody but Mr. Rowan Atkinson could have played Mr. Bean. He's the one and only Mr. Bean! I'm not sure if he'd make a great actor in other genres (such as drama, for example), but as a comedian he's simply brilliant!

fantastic

Author: ross robinson from england
19 November 2003

I absolutely grew up watching mr bean as i thought it was one of the funniest series i have ever seen in my life. There are others that i enjoy as well as mr bean. Rowan Awkinson i think is a great actor. I give the show 10 out of 10.

Hilarious!

Author: hfan77
27 May 2003

Mr. Bean is one of the funniest British comedies I have ever seen. Rowan Atkinson, who looks a bit like Pee Wee Herman, is hilarious in the title role. The show reminds me of a special by the late Ernie Kovacs, where he did an entire half-hour show without any dialogue. He relied on sight gags, and years later that's what made Mr. Bean a success.

As Funny As British Comedy Gets!

Author: (robocoptng986127@aol.com) from U.S.A
4 September 2002

[MAY BE SPOILER]

Move over Monty Python, Farewell Fawlty Towers, Mr. Bean tops all the British comedy shows. Though that episode of Fawlty Towers where Basil screams at his car then beats it was pretty funny, but that's another review.

Mr. Bean rarely speaks, but his brand of comedy doesn't require dialogue. Now whenever Mr. Bean get's in trouble, he doesn't like to ask for help. He'd much rather solve the problem himself, which he is often successful, but either way it has hilarious results! Mr. Bean owns a small yellow Mini. It's like a British version of the Volkswagen Beetle. In the first episode, the Mini was orange but it was totalled at the end. Mr. Bean had some good times in that Mini, like the time he tried to exit a parking garage without paying, or when he loaded it so full of stuff, he tied an arm chair to the roof and, using some rope and a broom tied to a mop, was able to drive it. But his car was sadly totalled in the school episode; Mr. Bean doesn't have many friends,

though for a little bit there he had a girl: Irma. His only friend is his teddy bear, Teddy. Mr. Bean also has an arch nemesis: a blue three- wheeled car. I don't know why he doesn't like that car. Is it the car or the driver? One thing's for sure, he always likes to run it off the road. I hear Mr. Bean now stars in an animated series. I haven't seen it but I'd sure like to. So anyway, if you're a fan of Rowan Atkinson or British comedy or both, then I recommend you check out Mr. Bean!

A classic comedy series!

Author: dy158 from Singapore
7 June 2006

There was once someone in my family (not saying who it is because of personal reasons) who thinks that Mr Bean is always so silly in whatever he does on the comedy series. Imagine how I felt at that time. Shocked instantly.

There are more reasons than one why I love watching Mr Bean. Being one of those earliest shows on the local television here in my country where I first grew up watching, it's just one of those things which had stuck into my head. There was even once my friends and I talked about few of the selected episodes and we just laughed together.

It's always silly, funny and hilarious in whatever antics Rowan Atkinson as Mr Bean will do in each episode. Though lately at times it may show some of the repeats here, it never failed to bring back those childhood memories of mine. In fact, I can dare say this is the very first show which introduces me about the kind of shows which come out of the UK as I was growing up.

The comedy series...definitely really wicked, as what the Brits may be saying.

bean is brilliant

Author: Mmyers2003 from England, UK
2 November 2002

Mr Bean has often been known to be a descendant of Charlie Chaplins who also used visual humour. Bean is definately funny and well worth the watch. Rowan Atlinson is easily the funniest man alive and Richard Curtis is the greatest writer on the planet. I'm surprised Rowan doesn't have an MBE or something like Curtis does.

Some get it, some don't.

Author: Matt James from Blighty
13 March 2012

Mr. Bean (Rowan Atkinson) was evidently heavily influenced by M. Hulot (Jaques Tati). The difference is that Atkinson's Mr. Bean has a level of malevolence (perhaps mischievousness is kinder), a child-like irresponsibility and unwavering social ineptitude oscillating between crippling self-consciousness and steely defiance. It's unsurprising, then, that Mr. Bean has no evident friends, though it's equally true that he doesn't really need any. What he does cherish (Teddy, his Mini) with fond sentimentality shows his need for companionship but he can get by without it. I think this was intentional: to show us that there's a Mr. Bean in all of us sometimes.

The mostly visual humour has a certain strange logic with ingenious, often improbable, solutions. Bean is as funny when he gets into scrapes as he is when he casually dunks a fly in his orange juice with the comically feigned air of a man who does this kind of thing routinely. For the most part Bean triumphs in the face of adversity and when he doesn't he is soon back to his jaunty child-like self. Essentially a positive character who is as wearied as the rest of us with a world full of hold-ups and seemingly senseless rules he can usually find a way around difficulties that most of us would have to think long and hard about and in some cases abandon our consciences.

The apparent effortlessness of the humour modestly hides the considerable work behind it. The limited number of episodes represent a lot of time and thought and they're more precious for their scarcity. Better a small glass of fine wine than a gallon of plonk.

It seems people love this character or hate him with little middle-ground. If you're in the first group you'll appreciate the careful construction of the situations wherein even the smallest gestures (such as looking sharply up at the new TV set whilst balanced awkwardly on a chair) can bring unexpected hilarity. But nothing can match the scene on board the aircraft, particularly his expression in the final frame.

Mr Bean is ok

Author: Ian Bradley from Leicester
29 December 2002

Mr Bean is quite a funny show. Rowan Atkinson shows his comedic talent already seen in Blackadder. He is just hilarious in Mr Bean. But to say that this is better tham Monty Python or Fawlty Towers is rediculos! Nothing will ever surpass the unforgettable sketches in Flying Circus or John Cleese's memorable moments as Basil Fawlty. Nothing. Mr Bean isn't even as funny as some of the sit-coms Britain has seen. The Young Ones, The Vicar of Dibley, Black Adder, The Thin Blue Line, Only Fools And Horses, Fawlty Towers, Red Dwarf. The list is endless. But maybe those shows haven't been exported. So for foreign viewers to adore this so much, what the hell must their TV be like?

While it was funny at the start it got a tad boring towards the end and then the film came out. Which was crap. It just lives as an example of how American producers come in taking the rights to British TV shows and making very very bad copies. For example, the Red Dwarf copy failed after two pilots and the Men Behaving Badly American version was cancelled after a series. As well the Bean film spin-off, which was nothing less than Mr Bean repeating his TV antics in America. Bored ensues... They do it to everything! When will they learn??

Page 5 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]