IMDb > "Mr. Bean" (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

An absolute classic.

Author: harrychapman from Scotland
14 March 2004

POSSIBLE SPOILERS

Mr Bean is an absolute gem of a series starring Rowan Atkinson as the clumsy and quite frankly inept Mr Bean the man who simply could not live a life for love nor money. No matter how hard he tries he always gets into difficulties and just cannot do a thing right. The series was full of memorable and classic moments such as the swimming pool visit where Bean is so terrified of the high dive and this costs him his bathing trunks and the day at the fair where he is landed with a baby which gatecrashes his plans for a lovely day out at the fair. All in all a outstanding series. If you like this try the movie too that's just as good and also the cartoon version.

Nice series, but too short.

Author: Extron from Hastings, Nebraska
20 April 1999

Mr. Bean is one of the funniest series in all of humanity. The things he does truly boggles the mind. But what gave his series some great substance was that Rowan Atkinson's performance of him was grand and his antics are funny. But what caused the run-down of this show is that it's run was too short (13 episodes). Give this TV show a chance, you'll be impressed.

Mr. Bean

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
17 May 2005

When I was younger, and today, Mr. Bean is a work of genius. Three-time BAFTA nominated Rowan Atkinson stars as the almost silent (miming) human looking alien dropped onto Earth causing chaos and mischief wherever he goes. He has tried to do an exam, put his pants on in front of blind man (he didn't know he was blind), gone to church, tried to dive at a swimming pool, made lunch on a park bench, seen a scary movie, changed in his car, had a picnic with a fly intruding, spent Christmas with his girlfriend (Matilda Ziegler), looked after a baby in Portsmouth, been to Room 426 of The Queens Hotel in Portsmouth, won a pet contest with his Teddy, driven on top of his Mini on a new chair, and even met and knocked out the Queen. Guests included Rudolph Walker, Richard Briers, Angus Deayton, Nick Hancock from They Think It's All Over, Caroline Quentin, The Day Today's David Schneider, Richard Wilson, The Fast Show's Eryl Maynard and The Vicar of Dibley's Roger Lloyd-Pack. It was nominated the BAFTAs for Best Comedy (Programme or Series) and Best Light Entertainment Programme. Rowan Atkinson was number 18 on The 50 Greatest British Actors, he was number 24 on The Comedians' Comedian, and he was number 8 on Britain's Favourite Comedian. Outstanding!

Just a typical English wankmaster

Author: coolgod from A Place Worse Than Hell
18 September 2017

I don't recommend it but if you don't believe me then go to england & find out for your self - they're all like this. As i say if you happen to be a human & not a BEEn then you will of found your self in a particularly sad place, even for this worlds generally dismal standards its bad..., but i think people only end up there if they are forceably taken there as a child - no adult with any basic common sense would go there because every time you see a English person on TV they'r always the most horrible C.unt you've ever seen in the world by a million miles (e.g. Ricky Gervais, James Corden, Russell Brand, Simon Cowell etc etc) - there isn't any other group of Count's from any other Countrys to compare them to! Mr been is just an English person.

Forever funny

Author: lindsayyyyy
27 April 2017

Mr Bean is pure genius, Rowan Atkinson plays a childish person in a grown man's body. Through a series of well directed episodes we see him fail at the simplest tasks and later conquer them. Mr Bean is something all of us can relate to and laugh at. You will struggle to find better feel good episodes than Mr Bean who has firmly made his mark in the comedic genre. It is universally loved and well received. Never has a show with limited to no dialogue conveyed so much, that is the brilliance of this series.

I have never met a single person in my life who disliked this quirky and brilliant Individual. I was so lucky to have this released and shown during my childhood and it has never ceased to amuse and be funny. Mr Bean is a cherished character in the field of comedy.

Excellent physical comedy

Author: Andrew from Essex
19 April 2017

Rowan Atkinson is at his best here in this cleverly done comedy that has wide appeal. It's suitable for all ages, classes, nationalities etc. There's not much dialogue, so you can enjoy it even if you're deaf or can't understand English.

The protagonist's interactions with various people are hilarious.

This was followed by two films. They're good - but nowhere near as good as this is.

Mr Bean divides the world

Author: studioAT from United Kingdom
15 January 2017

Loved and hated both here and in the UK in equal measure there can be no doubting that Rowan Atkinson's oddball creation has become part of culture.

There are some brilliant moments of comedy in these episodes, where even the most simple of situations can lead to ridiculous outcomes.

It's simple humour, but it's humour that will continue to entertain for many generations to come because it's often non verbal. We predict what Bean is going to do before he does it.

I know he's a love/ hate character, but I for one really enjoy the antics of Mr Bean.

The New Buster Keaton and Charlie Chaplin

Author: SnoopyStyle
6 September 2013

Rowan Atkinson has created one of the most original characters in modern times. Ever since the invention of talkies, there have been few iconic silent characters. We had Harpo Marx, but he came with his brothers. This is truly a unique creation.

The best thing is that he is not a nice guy. His selfishness is half the fun. His childlike persona contrasts perfectly with his selfish actions.

The least appreciated part of Rowan's performance is his physicality. It takes a lot to do so much physical humor and look so easy doing it. In fact, that's the reason that Rowan is unlikely to continue this character as a long term project.

This man single-handedly manages to rule the world!

Author: ichwan_mil from Indonesia
1 November 2010

Now this is what I call pure fun! Hilarious, entertaining, non-stop laughable actions…a really ingenious 'invention' the world has ever seen in the 20th century. I remember watching it for the first time in the early 1990s, actually unintentionally when I waited for my favorite game show in a national TV station. It didn't appear, instead an unfamiliar title showed up, 'Mr. Bean'. What the hell is this, I thought. And man, soon my hesitation all blown up. And pretty soon too, the world as we know became fall in love with the British guy who apparently came out of nowhere.

Mr. Bean, simply put, is really a different type of most comedy shows you've known. You won't get bothered with long tedious lines struggling to make you laugh, for it simply relies on comical gestures and other non-verbal communications to exploit your joke instinct to the fullest – and trust me, it really works. Rowan Atkinson – who plays Mr. Bean – is truly a genius man to do the role. He has in fact a gifted special talents, even his natural mimics are enough to make you jump from your couch crying for joy, for he sends the long favorite stars like Jim Carrey and Eddy Murphy back to elementary school. Just call it the modern and colored version of Charlie Chaplin if you want, only he is British – Hollywood, eat your heart up –, and it's really the most successful 'British invasion' since The Beatles.

If there is one thing I would frown upon the most is nothing than its extremely limited episodes. It was shot between 1990 and 1995. Well, you might think that five years period should enough to produce hundreds of episodes and numerous seasons, but not for Mr. Bean, which could only make it to 14 episodes! Could you believe it, 14 episodes in 5 years, that's less than 3 episodes a year in average! Though apparently indeed not intended to broadcast on weekly basis, one couldn't help but keeps wondering why the series saw only a handful of episodes into reality. Fear of being flopped? That was clearly nonsense; even after Mr. Bean went worldwide they still did not make new ones. So, if you happen to see one of Mr. Bean's episodes on broadcast, it is obviously nothing more than a rerun.

But, still, in general, if you want pure fun and plain laugh, look no more than Mr. Bean. It has been indeed endlessly rerun on various TV stations worldwide, including in my local stations, but I could still have fun every time I watch it again and again, and it's very likely that you will too. Even if you have a limited knowledge of English it shouldn't matter. Lack of verbal dialogue lines and heavy reliance on physical gestures makes it fully comprehensible and understandable universally by everyone – regardless of the culture and age. It is truly a fun without borders. So, if you are those who still have no idea what Mr. Bean looks like, go to your local store and grab the rare gems while you still can, and get ready to save a lot of leisure time – because it might be a while before we could see a true fun as good as Mr. Bean.

Rowan Atkinson is brilliant

Author: faredoon from India
29 August 2004

Rowan Atkinson is probably the most talented comedian the world has ever seen. The "Mr. Bean" series proved that he is the best of them all. To pull of Bean requires immense talent - Atkinson has portrayed the character of Bean in a way that makes it original, laughable, and most unique. If one looks at the series, one cannot help but notice the sheer brilliance of Atkinson that makes Bean a most enjoyable character - it has everything - innocence, stupidity, gawkiness, childishness...

All-in-all a treat of a package for Atkinson fans. Rowan Atkinson will always be remembered for this role, in fact he should be counted in the most respected category of comic actors which include the likes of Charlie Chaplin and Jerry Lewis.

Page 4 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]