IMDb > "Live with Kelly and Michael" (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Live with Kelly and Michael" More at IMDbPro »"Live with Regis and Kathie Lee" (original title)

Three Cheers for Kelly

Author: vancecheek from Tennessee
13 November 2002

I've watched and attended numerous episodes of "Live" and I think it is better than ever now. Personally, I found Kathie Lee Gifford annoying and I am thrilled with the breath of fresh air that Kelly Ripa brings to the morning. Her rapport with Regis is fantastic to watch and their dynamic is unique. When I can't watch "Live" live, I tape it and start my evening with the talk show pair that have no peer.

Good program!

Author: Movie Nuttball from U.S.A.
15 October 2004

I think that Live with Regis and Kelly is a fine show. The hosts of the show are Regis Philbin and Kelly Ripa. The show is a bit different than it was when Regis was with Kathy Lee Gifford. Regis and Ripa in My opinion work together very good. Regis is very good as always. Kelly Ripa, a young and very fine looking gal is also very good. What this show has in store for its viewers is actually pretty good. These two hosts talk about things that is going on such as news, the things that they like to do, they have special guests like actors and actresses, and more! The show is interesting and keeps you entertained. So, if you are watching television early in the morning and want to watch a show that has many celebrities then I suggest that you watch Live with Regis and Kelly today!

Miss Kathie Lee and Regis but Michael and Kelly Are Great!

Author: ShelbyTMItchell from Seymour Tennessee
23 September 2013

The show will always be known for the pairing of Kathie Lee and Regis. As Regis is still missed and so is Kathie Lee. As both of them helped to make the show what it is. Back in the late 1980's when the show went from being a local show in NY to the top of the USA.

But now that Kathie Lee is moved to the Today Show and Regis is in semi- retirement, still the new one with Kelly Ripa and Michael Strahan brings a lot of youthfulness and a lot of more chemistry to the show. Plus they are trying to reach the key demo of 18-49 audience. Which is the target range of the new show.

Still it is worth a look. And you won't be left down by the show's trying to gain a youthful audience.

Good way to start the day

Author: Maniac-9 from St. Louis, MO
27 January 2012

Live with Kelly which used to be Live with Regis and Kelly prior to Regis' retirement is a good way to wake up to in the morning. You're not going to get any ground breaking revelations revealed from the interviews on this show but it's good light hearted entertainment.

Kelly Ripa who's a former soap actress who got the gig after Kathie Lee Gifford left the show is just such a likable person that it's impossible to hate on her.

It's a show that can be enjoyed by old folks and still enjoyed by younger types of people too.

I actually think the retirement of Regis is best for this show since Regis always came off as a bit unprofessional not knowing how to pronounce names and not really doing his homework for the guests he had on his show.

Great morning show

Author: adiprudential from United States
11 August 2005

Please don't pay any attention to the above review. Kelly may not be stuck up and refined like Kathy Lee but she is also a lot less whiny. Kelly brings a younger, fresher, more entertaining aspect to the show. She is hilarious besides cute and quirky. I think they have a great chemistry and she is keeping the show going. The hilarious things they do on this show keep me tuned in every day. They do a segment nearly everyday about cooking or home interior or improvement ideas. The guest hosts are usually very funny. Nick Lachey was a recent favorite. Nick and Kelly did a workout together and even that was extremely funny. I wish I had her energy and Regis'longevity. When Regis retires they will need a replacement to sit next to Kelly, cause she isn't going anywhere.

Getting up at 9 rules

Author: james (spikelovesbuffy2002@hotmail.com) from New York, New York USA
17 July 2002

Live with Regis and Kelly is the best show on morning television. Kelly is so funny with her off-the-wall comments and come backs, then there's Regis who makes fun of everyone but in a funny joking way. I give this show a double thumbs up!

Worth watching just for the host chat

Author: KellyforPresident from Canada
18 December 2004

I've watched this show every morning for the past 3 1/2 years. Compared to other talk shows, it's no great shakes, but the host chat is worth watching for two reasons. Kelly Ripa (replacement for the much hated Kathie Lee Gifford) is wonderful! She is hip, beautiful, warm, smart and one of the quickest wits around. Her spontaneous, off-the-cuff sense of humor makes me laugh out loud several times every show. In contrast to Regis Philbin, she is self-effacing, modest and takes a genuine interest in the guests. I find her absolutely delightful.

The second reason I watch is to see Regis fall on his face every five minutes. How this man has sustained a show business career all these years is a mystery. He has no talent and he can't pronounce or remember a name, a place, or a date if his life depended on it. He doesn't do his research and it shows during his interviews. He totally lacks any warmth, has a monumental ego (talks about himself incessantly and often refers to himself in the third person!), and is completely technically incompetent. He can't open a bottle, operate a cell phone, or work a VCR, among many other failures. He is also a wuss (watch him during an animal segment - he's scared of everything), a bully, a curmudgeon, a screamer, and can be incredibly rude. He interrupts everyone and barely lets Kelly get a word in edgewise. The best shows are when he's away and Kelly can let loose with a fill-in co-host. However, it's a riot watching how many times he can screw up during each show.

Watch this show for Kelly Ripa and try not to throw your shoe at the screen every time Regis Philbin messes up or yells at the camera.

When does ABC fire Regis?

Author: elena_toronto-699-22750 from Canada
3 January 2011

He is completely not there.

Just today he wished "Happy 2010" instead of 2011 and informed us that "Sanitation men in NY didn't collect laundry" and that was just the beginning of the countless mistakes.

How long ABC is going to keep us viewers for idiots?

And don't tell me to change the Channel. The only reason I watch today to see Michelle Williams, not him. I understand, that he loves money, but he should go at least 5 years ago.

I feel really sorry for Kelly, who should pretend that all his mistakes are funny: they are not.

Boredom has set in...

Author: pomerac from United States
1 July 2013

While I understand this is the show's long time format, almost 15 minutes of talk about what the hosts did last night, who they ate with, what shows they saw, who visited from out of town, what they did on vacation, pictures of their family .... all just as boring as a run on sentence. Is this the new social media where instead of tweeting it, "facebooking" it, pinning it, "instagramming" it, you do it live on TV? When the host changed from Regis to Michael, I started watching again, thinking the format probably would have changed a bit. Alas it didn't. I guess I have grown out of looking at day time talk shows. I am just tired of the nonsense talk and I really don't care much about Mark, Joaquin, Lola, Nicole, the twins, or other family members of the hosts. I can't see how this 'information' entertains or edifies me in any way.

My office is in my home and I keep a television on the office throughout business hours. While the focus is not a television show while I am working, I do have the flexibility to actually stop in the middle of my work to turn up the volume on a show and look at valuable content. This show has no valuable content.

Regis is the BOMB!!!

Author: MI$ gUy from Texas
9 December 1999

Before I watched this show, I thought this was just a women's show. Now that I watch it, I still think it is. Despite that the beginning where Regis and Kathie Lee talk is very funny. It's as good as any other talk show monologue. The rest of the show is only "ok". I would only recommend the rest if you like the person they are interviewing. However, I think anyone could enjoy the beginning, even though the majority of the audience is women and elderly people.

Kathie Lee and Regis have a great chemistry. However, I think without Regis, Kathie Lee would fall flat on her face. Regis is sooo funny. It is a far cry from the serious man he is on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire".

Overall it is an entertaining show. Check it out.