IMDb > "The Kids in the Hall" (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Kids in the Hall"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Kids in the Hall" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Best Show Ever!

Author: Chicken-Lady from United States
29 November 2005

Hands-down, The Kids In The Hall is the funniest show ever! Not only are the guys adorable to look at, but the sketches are so brilliantly written by the guys themselves! The guys even accurately portray women on the show to properly act out each sketch! This show leaves your cheeks hurting and with six-pack abs from all the deep belly laughs! But wait, there's more! The guys are all best friends so the chemistry is naturally there and everything else just fits together perfectly! It's hard to find people who aren't fans of the show...no matter what age they are! Everyone one loves Kids In The Hall! GO KIDS IN THE HALL!! :)

The Best Sketch Comedy Show ('nuff said)

Author: moviekid-2 from sacramento
12 November 2000

All of all the sketch comedy shows I have seen, The Kids In The Hall is the best damn comedy show ever. The Kids are outstanding and they are very funny and it was a shame that their show ended. I love them!! I was almost into tears when the show ended. I hope that someday they can do another reunion show. The coolest sketch comedy show i have seen in years.

One of the Greatest Shows Ever!

Author: Robert L. Folkner from West Lafayette, Indiana
7 July 2002

Kids in the Hall has always been one of my favorites. I remember once watching a KITH Marathon on TV that ran for something like 12 hours. It was hilarious, and I've often wondered how people could create comedy that was so completely over the edge.

Favorite skits: David Foley as a banker on a blind date with the Chicken Lady (who sounded, for the most part, amazingly normal,) and Kevin McDonald's turns as a cop suffering from terminal demoralization (particularly the one where Foley's character is getting robbed at home and doesn't seem to mind it all that much!)

Just about the funniest show ever!!

Author: buffbabe23 (buffbabe23@hotmail.com) from Michigan, USA
13 June 2001

I have watched "Saturday Night Live" for as long as I can remember and I remember seeing ads for a new Lorne Michaels show called "The Kids in the Hall". Sadly, we didn't have HBO at the time, not to mention, I was only about 4 or 5 years old when it first aired. Since then, I have seen numerous re-runs on Comedy Central, and I have to say this show is so much better than "Saturday Night Live". I'm sorry that I never got the chance to see the full episodes on HBO. Even so, I am very glad that I have gotten to see what I have, but unfortunately Comedy Central has cut it down to only one episode of "KITH" per day. Hopefully this is just for the summer, as "Kids in the Hall" is a wonderful, smart, and of course just about the funniest show that I've ever seen. It gets a 10 out of 10 from me! I'll keep watching for as long as it's on television.

I STILL miss this show!

Author: S.R. Dipaling from Topeka, Kansas, USA
8 July 2005

I've probably seen every episode of this show's six year run,could probably recite most of the sketches and I keep track of what each of the five from Canada is up to. And I still wish this show were back with new programs. Alas,that would be folly,as they all have moved on and gotten much older,thus making them not really "Kids" at all.

I've often wondered which of the five was my favorite. Long story very short:I can't really decide. They're ALL very funny and talented! (I suppose if pressed,I'd say I tilt slightly more toward Dave or Mark) Their ability to mimic people's foibles and quirks,male OR female,and the writing's ability to capture the raw humor in absurdity and behavior made this show quite the stand-out of sketch comedy programs. This show had the rare distinction of claiming three(count'em,three!)networks as its home before each member decided to mutually end the show in late 1994/early,early 1995. It's kind of a shame that their careers didn't really take off(Dave and Scott had reasonable amounts of success since.Kevin works very steadily.Bruce directs and Mark...well,other than touring with the boys on their reunions,I'm not sure exactly how much this guy's working!),but they will always be remembered as the natural successor/Canadian cousin to "Monty Python"IMHO. I look forward to getting some of the eps(perhaps someday all)on DVD someday soon.

Insanely inspired sketch comedy

Author: Joe-146 from Boston MA
1 August 1999

Too bad people have to constantly compare KITH to Monty Python's Flying Circus. Aside from the fact that they were both unlike anything else before or since, the all-male core cast filling most of both gender roles, the ability to come up with totally fresh & insanely novel sketch ideas, and the ability to show self-absorbed American audiences that humor transcends culture... these 2 comic troupes have absolutely nothing in common! It's not for everyone, but if you're tired of the same old McComedy that clogs your cable like kudzu, find KITH & fire up the VCR! If only the entire KITH series was available on video (better yet DVD), that's one subscription I'd call Time/Life for!

The most original sketch comedy program on TV.

Author: Cowman (cowman777@hotmail.com) from The Mitten State, USA
5 January 2004

Whether you love 'em or hate 'em, you have to admit that there's never been anything like the KIDS IN THE HALL. Sure, sketch comedy shows are a dime a dozen, but these guys set themselves apart from all the rest with their unmatchable brand of bizarre, surreal, and often gender-defiant skits. The show is usually downright hilarious, although some of the jokes do miss their mark on occasion. But even the most unfunny sketches are entertaining, simply because of how insane they are.

The humor in KIDS IN THE HALL is, for the most part, purely unexplainable, and sometimes it's actually subtly disturbing--an experimental sort of comedy that best fits in the "either you get it or you don't" category. When watching KITH with a group, the viewer response will invariably be split: one half will be teary-eyed from laughter while the rest of the gang will be hopelessly confused or frustrated, making condescending statements like "I don't see how you think this is funny!"

It's clear that these lovable Canucks decided from the get-go that they were going to do exactly what they wanted, without too much concern for genre standards, formulas, or even success. And that, I think, is the secret to their success. Whether they intended to or not, these five KIDS succeeded in carving themselves a very distinct niche in the world of sketch comedy, towering above even SNL because of their fresh style and consistent hilarity.

IMHO The Great Show Ever.

Author: Amazinsunflower from US
24 March 2004

Oh yes I did. Yeah, yeah I know some people will complain that Kids in the Hall are "too weird" or that their sketches are "confusing" or just plain "strange." Well, those people are entitled to their opinions, but don't let that stop you from at least giving the Kids a try. If you are like me, the Kids will become your daily dose of needed humor.

I was too young to understand the humor of KITH during their original run on CBC/HBO/CBS/whereverthef***. Like many other people I first got into the Kids by watching Comedy Central. I was hooked from the very first episode. The bizarre sketches, monologues, and songs perfectly suited my often dark sense of humor. Those five guys made me laugh harder than any other show or movie ever has. And I'd like to point out that unlike most shows(coughSNLcough), all the Kids pulled their own weight. There was no stand-out member, and just as importantly their was no member who didn't carry his own weight. Dave, Bruce, Kevin, Mark, and Scott are each enormously talented. Each brought something to the mix. Mark can play any character, do any voice. Dave had all the brilliant one-liners and a wonderful sense of comedic timing. Kevin had this great energy and enthusiasm during each sketch. As he himself said [paraphrased] "I don't say funny lines, I say lines funny." Scott showed an uncanny ability to touch on topics of sexuality, making you both think and laugh. And then there's Bruce. I must confess that Bruce is my favorite Kid. His oddball and often dark sense of humor struck a cord with me. Bruce brought the music to the Kids. And I'll never forget his monologues.

They've all gone their separate ways now to work on various projects. But they left a lasting impression on sketch comedy. The Season DVDs(and hopefully, seasons 2-5 in the future) and reruns on CC ensure that they will never be forgotten.

So go forth and watch.

Great

Author: Raleon
7 June 2003

Every sketch is a classic. The Kids in the Hall were one of Canada's best comedy teams and probably one of the most popular right now. They continued to push CBC's limits of censorship, taking from where Codco had left off and pushing it further. Clever satire, sharp writing, great performances, and classic sketches. The Kids in the Hall took the strangeness of the people around us and made them into popular comedic mechanisms. A new chapter in great Canadian comedy.

Jerry, you are clearly insane!

Author: InzyWimzy from Queens, NY
24 July 2002

These guys are so funny! I have to admit that this series really grew on me. Sure, it's wild, zany and out of control, but that's its major charm!! You've got five guys who deal with pretty much everything: family, relationships, sex, the business world, media, homosexuality, death and so much more. Plus, not to mention that their characters are REALLY characters! Some you can relate to while others you just laugh your head off! While common favorites include Head Crusher, Buddy Cole, Gavin, I am amazed by others like the Flying Pig, JERRY SIZZLER!!, Tucker, Cabbagehead, Whores, Kathy & Cathy, Cops, Sir Simon and Hecubus, Bellini, Mississippi Gary and so much more (I could go on for days). Ah, what the hell, they're all awesome!! By the way, the guys play great women and damn Dave for looking good in drag!

True, KITH may not be for everyone which makes it such a cult classic! If you aren't easily offended, are not frightened by the powers of darkness, the hounds of hell, and the puppies of purgatory, then this is the show to watch....In the darkness. In the silence. In the sadness. In the blackness. It's shown on Comedy Central and hopefully (lick a lobster) will be released on DVD.

Well, the time has come for me to mount my donkey and leave for you are beginning to bore my clearly deranged mind. Ta Ta!

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]