IMDb > "Doogie Howser, M.D." (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Doogie Howser, M.D."
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Doogie Howser, M.D." More at IMDbPro »

Great Program Wrongly Dismissed As A Kids' Show

Author: nycovom1 from California, U.S.A.
9 October 1999

I loved this show! I used to watch it every week. Unfortunately, I think too many people dismissed "Doogie Howser, M.D." as kids' or teens' faire because of the main character(Doogie) and the premise(boy genius becomes m.d. at age 14).

The truth is, the writing was consistently sharp and witty, and pretty mature. Plus, this program was one of Steven Bochco's creations, as in Steven Bochco, the man behind Hill Street Blues(which won something like, I don't know, 2,000 awards). I'm surprised this last fact alone didn't get Doogie Howser more respect. Oh, well. If you get a chance,definitely check out the reruns.

anyone born in the 70's probably has pretty fond memories of the show.

Author: jkljlkj (flare@coolmail.zzn.com) from California USA
15 April 1999

Doogie Howser has got to be one of the coolest shows of the 80's. Anyone born in the 70's probably has pretty fond memories of the show. As for me, I grew up watching the show and was a loyal viewer. Doogie was a show about a teenage kid who is a genius and finished school at an early age and became a doctor during his teen years. Most people would expect a guy like Doogie to be a nerd but this guy wasn't. He displayed a true side to himself, and while he had insecurities, his strengths easily outweighed them. In the show, he was a good friend, with a good heart and was in touch with his family who was pretty supportive of him. Basically, Doogie juggles his life as a doctor along with his social life and growing up as a teenager. He has a best friend named Vinnie and a girlfriend named Wanda played by Lisa Dean Ryan. Although Doogie doesn't have a clique like many teenagers, he trades in that part of being a teen for helping people as a doctor. Doogie is often found to go the extra mile in helping his patients or anyone in general. I remember one episode of Doogie, where Doogie is caught up in a convenience store robery; and Doogie ends up befriending the robber while held hostage, and ends up giving the robber a job at the hospital. This is truly a good show and is definitely a part of my childhood. I will always remember it fondly.

One of my all time favorite shows

Author: c_l_lance from United States
28 January 2005

Doogie Houser, MD. Just the name brings a smile of remembrance to me. In the tradition of such television classics as L.A. LAW, NYPD Blue and Hill Street Blues, Doogie Houser, MD was a wonderfully funny with a touch of life. As a 30 something adult when I first watched Doogie in late night reruns, I was hooked by its' humor and wit while watching this "kid" with a adult mind, yet the hormones and maturity of a teenager, grow into independence. Memorable episodes include his first day, the late night skinny dip (as mentioned by another viewer), the practical joke he played on other hospital staff only to have it ruthlessly reciprocated, and the apartment with his best friend Vinny. There is some risqué humor but it is nothing when compared to today's standards. I always enjoyed seeing the relationship he had with his dad(James Sikking) and mom(Belinda Montgomery). I had the entire series recorded but sacrificed them for NFL games. BIG mistake!! Doogie Houser, MD will long be cherished by this now 40 something dad and his now 20 something daughters. I look forward to seeing Doogies journal again.

Interesting and unique show that quickly flat-lined

Author: steve-575 from pa
23 March 2008

When it first came out, "Doogie Howser M.D." was one of the more unique shows to grace the airwaves. It centered around a 16-year old child prodigy, Douglas "Doogie" Howser, who was a doctor at a Los Angeles area hospital. He lived with his parents and had a girlfriend, Wanda, and an obnoxious best friend who often came into his house via a window. Each episode ended with Doogie typing up an entry in his personal computer diary. The entry was usually a wise proverb from a lesson learned in the episode.

The show was developed by Steven Bochco who created ground-breaking shows like "L.A. Law" and "Hill Street Blues". Although not nearly as acclaimed as those two shows (the only Emmy awards it was nominated for were for Sound Mixing and Cinematography), it had a satisfying blend of comedy and drama that kept the show interesting but not too serious. Since the two main characters were both teenagers, this lead many people to dismiss it as a kid's show. However, it was much deeper than a kid's show as most of the episodes centered on adult themes such as AIDS, death, and racism. The acting was also very solid. Long before he gained recognition for the show "How I Met Your Mother", I always felt that Neil Patrick Harris was a very underrated actor. Very few teenage actors could have pulled off playing a child prodigy the way he did. It would be hard to imagine anyone else playing the Doogie Howser role.

The first and second season were terrific as they focused around Doogie's struggles to be a normal teenager despite the demands of his job. A common theme was discrimination as he was often discriminated based on his age by patients and even other doctors. He was not afraid, though, to express his views, even if it meant clashing with more seasoned and respected doctors. By the third or fourth season, the show had lost some of its novelty as Doogie was no longer a child prodigy but just a very smart adult. This must have really made it hard for the writers to come up with interesting story lines and it showed. The show began to focus more on Doogie's personal life and Vinnie quirky adventures and less on the hospital. By this time, Doogie had moved out of his parent's house to live in an apartment which meant that less time was devoted to his parents who were an integral part of the show. The ratings declined and a show that seemed like it would be on the air for many years was canceled after only four.

A Good Show, but the novelty of the Child M.D. wore off quick

Author: scenario from Houston, TX
29 July 2006

Sprung from the typewriter of Emmy award winning Steven Bocho, (Hill Street Blues, L.A. Law, NYPD Blue) "Doogie Howser, M.D." is a good show from the very late 80s and early 1990s. As you probably know the series is about 16 year old Douglas "Doogie" Howser, the boy genius who is a medical doctor. I just bought the DVD and this is the first time I've watched the series since it went off the air in 1993. I'm watching the 1989 episodes now, and surprisingly it doesn't seem all that dated. I mean sure it's dated in that you can tell it's from 1989, but it's not dated in that cheesy way. It's dated the same way Miami Vice is dated. When viewed through the lens of this show, the fashions and styles of that era seem simply more like something that's time has passed, rather then a horrible campy memory. Make no mistake though, this is no half hour sitcom with a laugh track. Steven Bocho went through great pains to make this an accurate, mature show with humorous elements in it rather then a screwball comedy. In the 1989 episodes Neil Patrick Harris is 16 years old, but he looks and acts like a 12 or 13 year old, 14 tops. Neil wasn't very emotionally mature for 16, and he had his this odd nerdy quality to him----which actually helped the series because it made Doogie seem even younger then he really was. But this was basically only the case for the 1st season.

The series wasn't without it's faults though, the show started going down the toilet when the child physician started sporting a 5 o'clock shadow. If I remember correctly, a big problem with the show was that "the joke" of the series, the child prodigy kid doctor who walked around in acid washed blue jeans, Nike high top sneakers and an over-sized lab coat wore off pretty quickly. After the 1st season Doogie was already a typical adult height of 5'6 to 5'8 inches tall. Sure he looked really young because he was a 17 year old teenager, but it wasn't too outrageous to see him in a hospital setting. But Doogie kept on growing unlike his best friend Vinnie Delpino. By 1992 and 1993 Neil Patrick Harris was a 19 and 20 year old grown man who was now standing around an amazing 6'4 inches tall. Doogie was no longer a cute kid trying to be a doctor, he now looked like any medical school student and there was nothing at all weird about him being a physician. By 1991, Doogie had turned into a legal 18 year old adult. He moved out of his parents house and into an apartment with Vinnie. They both started having regular sex. OK, so there goes the concept of the "child prodigy". After 2 years we were treated to watching an over 6ft guy and his friend living an apartment and dealing with older teenager/young adult problems. The premise behind Doogie was gone after 2 seasons, and truth be known it was on shaky ground by the 2nd season anyways.

Perhaps if they had started the series in 1987 when Neil was 14 it would have given the series more longevity. Or cast someone who was a little younger, like 14 or better yet 12 or 13 back in 1989. It really was a shame they didn't start Doogie off in the age range of 12-14 instead of 16. But otherwise, this is another well written series from the acclaimed TV writer Steven Bocho. The 1st and 2nd season are well worth checking out.

Good for the first one-and-a-half seasons

Author: Mike-DD from Singapore
18 March 2014

I suppose it must be different when you first watched this, but I only started watching this in 2013 when there were suddenly a few cultural references to Doogie Howser on TV and in the movies.

It was fun watching it at first - a boy genius who is a doctor. It's a show about growing up pains, with the quirk that the growing boy is smarter than his father and is an accomplished and respected doctor. I enjoyed the episodes where he is saving lives and learning adult perspectives in a medical setting, but the normal growing pains part are too normal to be interesting. I actually liked Vinny better as the normal kid with the genius friend - if you think it is easy being a genius, try being his friend!

By the second half of the second season, the show did not interest me as much as it initially did. I would have given it a 5, but thought 6 was more appropriate for the excellent first season.

my opinion on Doogie Howser, M.D.

Author: racetrack higgins (racetracklover_newsies@aol.com) from United States
7 April 2012

i love this show, even though i was born after it ended, and now its only on at two a.m. but i still love it!

the plot is great because it combines a normal teenage life with the life of a hospital worker, both lines sticking extremely close to the truth.

oh, and of course, i love the characters! my favorite is Vinnie Delpino, Doogie's best friend and neighbor. he is the more typical teen, who is obsessed with girls, sex, and other more normal... hobbies, i guess? he brings a sense of balance to Doogie's hectic life, though he succeeds at getting the both of them in trouble on numerous occasions.

i was disappointed how the last season came to a end the way it did, but otherwise, i give this series a 10. *Racetrack*(abby)

where I got my name from

Author: delpino from London, England
6 February 2001

This American series influenced me quite a lot, Doogie Howsers best friend is called Vinnie Delpino. I liked his character so much, that i took over his nickname and now call myself in the internet "delpino".

"Doogie Howser" is one of my favorite series. I don't know why, maybe because I can see myself in Doogie and Vinnie, or its the atmosphere it has.

It also sends out a positive message, there is no violence or explicit sex. Its funny, touching, and you can learn something. At the end of each episode Doogie writes a small note into his diary about what he learnt.

I also like the music of the series..