IMDb > "Booker" (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Booker" More at IMDbPro »

I hope Booker becomes available on DVD

Author: csxmph from United States
1 March 2007

I personally liked the Booker series. Richard Grieco had a good shot at becoming a high profile star back then. He was on the cover of multiple magazines. He made black leather jackets all the rage. He inspired hair styles and, to me, he made Harley Davidsons cooler than crotch rockets amongst younger motorcycle riders. It's a shame the show didn't reach the fame of 21 Jumpstreet. I know the show could have matured had the network given it more time to evolve. The addition of Lori Petty was a plus. I've seen what I consider less quality shows available on DVD box sets and every once in a while I look to see if Booker has been released. I hope that It eventually does.

Please release in the US!

Author: moonlightvamp12 from United States
30 May 2009

I've never seen the show, as I was only one it premiered. But I've been watching the DVD's of 21 Jump Street, and I love this character! In my opinion, he was way more entertaining than Johnny Depp, and just as good-looking. His personality and background had more depth. I was so excited when I heard he had his own show, even though it was short-lived. Many times shows like this, that are little different or quirky, people just don't get at first. So they get canceled before their time. They don't realize until too late what a great thing they had! Yes Johnny Depp is more successful now, but if this show had lasted longer, who know's where Richard Grieco might be! Anyway, I would really like to see this released in the US soon. PLEASE!

great fun!

Author: bakubaku2000 ( from paris, france
20 March 2001

that TV series was on my opinion very funny to watch, it was like an urban "magnum" relooked with a neat photography. the booker character was cool and always managed to squeeze some one-liners in the middle of a very dangerous scene,which was really funny.i spent some good times watching was neat and had no high ambitions,it fulfilled its purposes well.

I'd like Booker to be released on DVD too!

Author: suzald from Australia
16 October 2007

I agree with 'csxmph'. I really liked this series. Yeah, it's goofy and yeah, it's old but it was perfect for it's time. I'd buy it if it came out. If I were completely honest, I'd say that I'd LOVE it if it came out. I remember it was a little dark, a lot rebellious and simmered with hostility. It was Jumpstreet, juiced up and in a nice car. RG was 'hot in the city' in the way that only a bad boy can be. Common girls.. you know what I'm talking about! Classic - who wouldn't want to see that? I'm telling you - it's timeless. A good episode (from the top of my head) was 'Somebody Stole Lucille'. Bits and pieces come to mind from other episodes but nothing definite enough to quote. Looks like I'd better dust off those old VHS and go through them again. As Molly M would say... 'Do yourself a favour..'

Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got till it's gone?

Author: Victor Field from London, England
24 February 2003

Funny how things turn out. When "Family Ties" started, everyone thought that Meredith Baxter Birney was the star as opposed to Michael J. Fox; anyone who put money on Neve Campbell being a bigger name than Jennifer Love Hewitt after "Party of Five" ended would not have been considered mistaken; and similarly, when Richard Grieco joined the cast of "21 Jump Street" and drew attention away from the perpetually miserable-looking Johnny Depp, it did look like he'd be the breakout star.

So he was booted out of the force, became a private detective in his own series "Booker" (complete with Billy Idol's "Hot In The City" with the words "NEW YORK!" blanked out - due to the show taking place on the other side of the country!), and... wound up being cancelled a year before "21 Jump Street." And to be honest, you can see why; while there aren't many cop shows about people going undercover in schools (well, there was "The Mod Squad"...), there wasn't anything about the show that really made it stand out from any others of its type, and it didn't help that his assistant was played by the ever-annoying Lori Petty.

Johnny Depp went on to pull Winona Ryder and Vanessa Paradis (we'll forgive him for Kate Moss) and deliver a string of impressive performances in high-profile movies; Grieco went on to "If Looks Could Kill" (or as Joss Whedon called it, "If Looks Could Fail At The Box Office") and "A Night At The Roxbury." It's called having the last laugh.