IMDb > "Beetlejuice" (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Beetlejuice"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Beetlejuice" More at IMDbPro »

Possibly my all-time favorite cartoon

Author: KingBowser13 from United States
26 April 2005

This show is largely responsible for making me the twisted person I am today. Where to begin? First off, don't expect a whole lot of resemblance to the movie. A few elements carried over, like the Sandworms, but there are no Maitlands, Lydia is much younger, and Beetlejuice has been rewritten from a sleaze-ball into...well, okay, he's still a sleaze-ball, but a LOVABLE sleaze-ball. He is Lydia's best friend (though how they met is never explained) and in addition to being able to summon him by saying his name three times, she can also send herself into his world, the Neitherworld, which introduces us to new characters such as Jacques the fitness-crazed skeleton, Ginger the tap-dancing spider, and the Monster Across the Street. Of course the real reason to watch the show is Beetlejuice himself.

The quality of the animation itself is superb, especially considering that this was a late eighties/early nineties cartoon. Compare the quality of the animation to other Saturday morning shows at the time and you'll see that this was top-notch. Heck, they even made use of CGI years before it became commonplace. The writing, too, has held up surprisingly well over the years. True, the show relies a lot on puns and sight gags, so if you don't like that sort of thing, this isn't for you. But they also happen to be GOOD puns and sight gags.

All in all, it's definitely more than a worthy successor to the movie. Why hasn't it been released on DVD yet??

I love this show it show be on DVD.

Author: Dsosa7 from Seattle
25 April 2004

I love Beetlejuice it is so funny I wish they bring it back just the repeats. It was on cartoon network then they stop showing it. My favorites are when BJ made this cologne.That changes people to a new person. It made BJ from a nasty ghost to a clean ghost. It changed Lydia from girl to bad girl that drove the neitherworld crazy. Another one was when she had a halloween party to scare a snobby girl at her school named Claire. BJ decorated the party from stuff from his world. Plus he bought a product called Party People in a can. That turned to giant monsters on a full moon. The show is just plain funny I hope they put it on DVD soon I will buy it for my kids to watch.

Good animation with great gags

Author: Lisaster from FL
27 July 1999

As is the case with many cartoons, many of the jokes are not for children. I found the animated series highly entertaining. Silly and gross are the norm. Fast paced jokes keep coming. I liked the character of Beetlejuice in the cartoons better than in the movie. I did not particularly love the movie but, the cartoon is very funny. I love the way they draw Lyds. Enjoy.

Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice!

Author: jenniferbjenkins from United States
14 July 2006

I watched this show, when i was, like, 3 and i adored it. now after seeing the show again on AOL, i have fallen in love all over again. Lovable characters, superb animation, a very good CG commercial in every episode I've seen so far (this was before the time CG was widely used), great plots, BJ's laugh, BJ's outfit, BJ's secksayness...(*a-hem* i need therapy...^.^') this show has everything you could want out of a cartoon! I give this show 10/10! Now get outta that hole you're living in, and go watch some Beetlejuice!

"Though I know I should be wary, still I venture someplace scary, ghostly hauntings, I turn loose, Beetlejuice, *Beetlejuice*, BEETLEJUICE!!!"

a charming and offbeat cartoon

Author: greg-glen from Canada
22 November 2008

When I was a Ph.D. candidate at Queen's University and I worked out on the weekends, I would often tune the t.v. to cartoons. And I never missed an episode of the cartoon "Beetlejuice." It was - and remains to me - a charming and quirky cartoon with a lively sense of invention and a decidedly offbeat sense of humour. Some people compare this cartoon negatively to the movie "Beetlejuice." I don't think this is fair. Michael Keaton gave a positively volcanic performance in that movie and I continue to find the movie a classic of humour. Indeed, I often wondered why there wasn't a sequel - probably just as well given Hollywood's record with such things, but I think there was more comic potential waiting to be tapped. Questions of synergy aside(the Americans have nothing on the Japanese in this department), the cartoon is not just a ripoff of the movie. It's its own eccentric, squirmy little beast. It really was a lot better than it needed to be, so to speak. As with the movie, there's some romantic 'tension' between Beetlejuice and the goth girl, but the cartoon subdues this somewhat for the kiddies. It's a helluva lot better than some current cartoons aimed at the 'Goth' mindset, I can tell ya. I really loved this cartoon and miss it on t.v. Greg Cameron, Surrey, B.C., Canada

A+++

Author: bingbazy from Portland, Oregon
30 January 2003

I remember when i was little i used to watch this show all the time, and from what i can remember of it It was a great show. Taking after the great movie. I mean most of the time when you make shows after movies they suck but this show was really great!

I loved this show...and still do!!!

Author: iamshannonc from United States
12 January 2006

Yes yes, we have all seen the movie by Tim Burton, starring Michael Keaton and Winona Ryder. It was wonderful. This show is meant for kids. If you have seen the movie, there is some obsceneties, and gestures that are not meant to be seen by kids. But what Tim Burton did with this show is, make it to where its not so offensive for the kids eyes. What kids were into back then was grossing each other out and finding new means of entertainment. I think, that this was fulfilled by them watching this show. How could i know this? Because i was one of those kids. I watched this show whenever it came on. And now that i am older i watch it and show it to my kid. He's one, but he enjoy's it very much. I mean i still sit and watch it and laugh at some of the things said by the main characters. I would suggest this show to any kid or adult!! Way to go Tim!!

It's great...if you're into it.

Author: lexorousmith from Fernandina, Florida
25 November 2002

This cartoon was funny, as long as you were a fan. Beetlejuice, the character, of course, had to have some personality traits changed in order of the FCC to allow him. Such as, Beetlejuice was the good guy in the cartoon. Him and Lydia were friends. The couple, Adam and Barbara from the movie were not in this, but still, it held up...well, until they cancelled the show. I guess it wasn't show time after all...

Good show

Author: Catherine_Grace_Zeh from Fairfax, Virginia, USA
14 July 2006

I used to watch this show when I was a little girl. I only remember it vaguely, though. If you ask me, it was a good show. I remember the opening sequence and theme song vaguely, too. In addition to that, everyone was ideally cast. Also, the writing was very strong. The performances were top-grade, too. I hope some network brings it back so I can see every episode. Before I wrap this up, I'd like to say that I'll always remember this show in my memory forever, even though I don't think I've seen every episode. Now, in conclusion, if some network ever brings it back, I hope that you catch it one day before it goes off the air for good.

good show!

Author: booyah-1991 from Canada
2 July 2006

when i watched this when i was a li'l kid, i could not EVEN remember 1 episode. all i remembered was about 2% of it. that's it! when i watched it again, it still appealed to me, and its a very funny cartoon. compared to the movie, there were some changes, such as Delia likes to humiliate Lydia, like wearing a bunny costume for a Halloween party, Charles is more quiet, but still likes to relax, beetlejuice is still the same but still hilarious, and finally, Lydia is more of a happier character because she has beetlejuice as an intimate friend.

also, it is funny that Delia and Charles don't even realize about beetlejuice because Lydia protects him very well. the characters are drawn VERY well, and the episodes have good stories, such as when beetlejuice had to do some babysitting, but got the wrong idea of doing it and the Neitherworld babies went berserk.

in my opinion, i give this show a 10/10!