IMDb > "Alien Nation" (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Alien Nation"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Alien Nation" More at IMDbPro »

A great show, pure and simple

Author: lethalweasel from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
31 December 2000

One of the best sci-fi and/or buddy cop shows I've ever seen. Like all really good science fiction, it comes up with an utterly improbable premise (namely that an alien slave ship lands on Earth and the humanoid ex-slaves must integrate into human society) and proceeds to be completely real within that premise. Without fail, every single episode of this tragically short-lived series was, in turns, touching, humorous and compelling.

If you can find this show on the air, watch it, its well worth it.

Why did this Series only last One Season???

Author: Shelagh McKibbon (mckibbon@recorder.ca)
8 February 1999

This series is fantastic! I do not understand why it only lasted one season. It gave us so many insights into the relationships between people of all "races". It allowed us to see the pain of "inter-species" relationships and the acceptance of beings "different" from us. As the series unfolded, it was uplifting to see how people can overcome their differences to get along and thrive on earth. There are so many lessons that we can ALL learn from this series. We can get along in peace and harmony.

A really wonder science fiction show.

Author: jeffman52001 from Normal, IL, USA
22 January 2005

"Alien Nation"is a science fiction show that is well done,well acted and well created by Kenneth Johnson(The Incredible Hulk, and V). The series dealt with a lot of issues, especially racial issues,and cultural issues too.

The Tenctonese are a race that were slaves who came to earth cause of their ship crashing in the Mohave Desert in 1991. The Tenctonese are from the planet Tencton, they have the ability to adapt in any environment, they learn fast and live a little longer than Humans,they are known to us Humans also as Newcomers.There are Humans who don't like the Newcomers, they are called Purists, the Newcomers are called Slags, the word "slag" is a racist term by the Purists.The Newcomers that don't like Humans much call us Humans, "Terts".

Human cop Matthew Sikes, played superbly by Gary Graham(All The Right Moves, Robot Jox, and The Last Warrior), is a cop who lost his former partner to a Newcomer in a robbery. Sikes's new parter, a Newcomer cop, Det. George Francisco, played awesome by Eric Pierpoint(Invaders From Mars, Forever Young, and Liar Liar), work together to fight crime. The two Detectives have their disagreements on certain issues,but work great together. Cathy Frankel, played awesome by Terri Treas(Seven Brides For Seven Brothere, The Nest, and House IV)is Matthew Sikes's Newcomer neighbor who he develops a relationship with her later on, Capt Bryan Grazer, played by Ron Fassler(Camp Nowhere, Child's Play 3 and Gremlins 2), Det. Dobbs, played by Lawrence Hilton-Jacobs(Welcome Back Kotter), Albert Einstein, a Newcomer janitor, played by Jeff Marcus, are some of the members of the precinct.

George Francisco's family consists of Susan Francisco, played by Michele Scarabelli(Air Wolf),Buck Francisco, played by Sean Six, is a teenage Newcomer who has got into some trouble, but has got better, though he has resentment towards Humans. Emily Francisco, played by Lauren Woodland(The Young And The Restless), is a young Newcomer girl who is a nice girl who is smart.

I was very upset that Fox canceled "Alien Nation"in 1990, but they did redeemed themselves by making 5 "Alien Nation" TV movies, "Alien Nation:Dark Horizon", "Alien Nation:Body And Soul", "Alien Nation:Millinium", "Alien Nation:The Enemy Within", "Alien Nation:The Udara Legacy".

I give this show 10/10 stars and 2 thumbs up.

The "Alien Nation" TV series was based on the "Alien Nation" movie that came out in 1988.

OK, I don't do scifi, but...

Author: bux from Tecumseh ok
4 September 2001

Having grown up in a household where Science Fiction was Dad's staple, I never really picked up on it, preferring more real-life drama. Having said that, this show is about the top of the line for TV scifi. The characters are believable, fully developed and imperfect.The acting is top-flight, and the stories, mostly carrying a message, are not overly burdened or preachy. The culture, habits, language, slang of the Aliens is presented in a matter-of-fact manner. Other than Heinlen or Finney, this is about the best scifi I've come across. And I don't like scifi.

Great show

Author: exocrine from Ottawa
13 March 2007

This is one of the better shows out there. It deals with racism in a really positive way and isn't "preachy" or "cuddly". There are a few problems (Why would people who dissolve in salt water choose to live in a coastal city like Los Angeles?) but those are easily overlooked.

The show is really well done and makes some great references to todays society. The new race has drug and alcohol addictions, faces discrimination both inside and outside their communities, and struggles to integrate itself into the human world.

One of the ongoing jokes in the series is the newcomer names. They never had names on the ship so they are assigned names by a human agency. A lot of them are comical, like "San Francisco" but some of them are politically incorrect, like calling a mentally challenged newcomer "Albert F---ing Einstein". The middle name was dropped for the series but the character remains.

I recommend it, it is a great show.

The Best Sci Fi Show I've Ever Seen

Author: funky_cherry86 from Canada
25 March 2008

Normally I'm not a fan of sci fi but something about this series changed my opinion Alien Nation is probably one of the best cop shows that was on TV. A slave ship carrying an alien race known as the Tenctonese crashed in the Mojave Desert near the city of Los Angeles five years ago. They have been bred to have great strength and quick intelligence, hard edged Officer Matt Sikes, played by Gary Graham is teamed up with a newcomer officer George Francisco (Pierpoint). Although the two mismatched cops have many differences and issues they have to work together thrown into the mix is George's family wife Susan (Scarabelli), young daughter Emily (Woodland) and teen aged son Buck (Six). Meanwhile Sikes must also deal with his budding romantic feelings for his neighbor and scientist Cathy Frankel (Treas) a gorgeous newcomer.

What I like most about the show is the humorous and difficult moments that are displayed when prejudice is shown towards the newcomers, also it's interesting to see a romantic relationship developing between a human male and a tenctonese female but what's a love story without the hurdles of interspecies romance.

For fans of sci fi classics Alien Nation is the number #1 show to watch.

Good show, golden oldie, glad my parents made me (AKA forced me to) watch it.

Author: Aaron Johnson from United States
23 January 2011

This deserves 15 out of 10. Man oh man....watching this show with my parents is so fun! Shame on the negative people! Great! GREAT SHOW. May it have a great remake like V's or BattleStars! Fun to watch, good characters, believable plots...maybe 'new' Hollywood should take notes. Seriously. The action is fun, it has good 'morals' for a show like this. It's what shows are supposed to be. It takes you out of reality and puts you in a world with a (fairly) deep plot, fun characters, good lessons, and cool fights! It's sort of like Miami Vice with aliens! The parts with the bad guys always baffles me. The bad guys that kept the people on the ship always tend to be smart and vicious yet human bad guys spout of pitiful remarks that tend to get them killed. Seems like they'd learn. lol, any way....if you haven't seen the show...Do! It's well worth your time and money!

great names

Author: egwicht from United States
7 June 2006

How can you not like a show with names like Kenny Bunkport, Norman Conquest, Phil Dirt, Al Fresco, Polly Wanakraker, Marina DelRay, Gail Warning, Rick Shaw, Terry Firma, Carey Onbag, Patty Melt, Len Guini and Paul Bearer. My children and I watched each week just to see what name they would come up with next. The fish out of water aspect was the best part of the show. The deadpan delivery of the newcomers who were oblivious to what was going on around them made it as much of a comedy as it was science fiction. In order to appreciate science fiction you have to suspend disbelief and if you can't do that then you won't get it at all.

"This is really not what real Sci-Fi is all about"

Author: lonelydude-2 from Brooklyn, New York
11 May 2001

"Alien Nation" the TV series as well as the following TV movies was all together lame, poor-quality science fiction that severely lacked in intelligence and class. Here you have a cliched flying saucer making an abrupt crash landing on Earth and in five short years these aliens have already been assimilated, widely accepted, and living ONLY in the United States and ONLY in Los Angeles. Not a bright premise.

"Alien Nation" was really a cheesy cop show with some stupid-looking ETs thrown in nothing more. I also believe that the subject matter basically dealing with racial equality was extremely overplayed and overrated. As a species, we humans have yet to get along with one another let alone welcome with open arms, aliens from outer space if in real life they really exist at all.

Bottom line: the show sucked.