IMDb > Young Einstein (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Young Einstein

Young Einstein More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Excellent, a must see for everyone

Author: anonymous
21 July 1999

Wonderful movie, and I should know, I practically grew up on it. Yahoo Serious uses an excellent amount of satire to portray a genius. Although not even close to true events (splitting the beer atom to make bubbles in beer, Einstein being Australian), it makes the point that Albert Einstein never took his work as seriously as everyone else did; he just had questions that he wanted answered and he wanted to enjoy life. A must see for all.

Pure Genius!

Author: rockhound622004 from Montana
9 February 2005

I almost refuse to believe that there was no connection whatsoever with any of the membership of Monty Python's Flying Circus. Since I purchased the VHS version at a sale, without any previous knowledge of its content, I have remembered how to roll on the floor with uncontrollable laughter, as I had not done for so many years of humor depredation. Splitting the "beer atom" on an anvil with hammer and chisel causes just such a reaction. The kitty pie scene is another of my favorites that evokes the memory of Monty Python style of humor. And the lizard that roars is enough to make milk come out my nose.

Also, there are innumerable background elements that are nearly impossible to notice, let alone appreciate fully, on the first viewing. Multiple viewings are required and highly recommended. Pay close attention to every detail, as there is absolutely nothing in the background that is truly insignificant. This movie is simply drenched with cleverly written and acted subtle comedy that is all-too-often not noticed by the average viewer.

The soundtrack is especially highlighted by the music of the Australian "Goanna" band, with the very appropriate cut Great Southern Land. I had already owned that original album since 1983, and instantly recognized the song when I first saw "Young Einstein" only recently.

I highly recommend this movie to all TRUE Monty Python fans.

Funny Stuff

Author: Matt from Newcastle, Australia
27 April 2004

This was one of the first movies I ever saw at the cinema and I loved it. Yahoo Serious comes from the same suburb as me here in Newcastle, and this is one of his best roles. Plenty of slapstick and one-liners, it is a light and amusing film that suits any age.

There's plenty of appearances from aussie personalities, ranging from musicians to comedians, as well as lots of local landmarks around newcastle and sydney. Keep an eye out for the "cat pie", a delicacy in the mental asylum in which the main character is placed.

Beware: the movie is quite 'aussie', Brits and Yanks may have a hard time with some of it ;)

An underrated gem!

Author: LitWit-2 from TN
29 August 1999

I have quite literally grew up on this film since I was 11 years old, and no matter how many times I watch it on video, it still stands up to the test of time!

keep your eyes open throughout for small satire moments, some of which are subtle enough for adults to enjoy, while still delivering the slapstick that Yahoo is quite talented in--remember at the time of release in the US, he was 35! :)

Fun Fun Fun Film

Author: AgLawyer from Arkansas
21 June 1999

I've seen this movie countless times. A great and hilarious romp through what could have really been Albert Einstein's youth (in another realm perhaps!) Highly recommended.

Fun and exciting!

Author: anonymous from Snellville, GA
1 May 1999

Combining quirky Australian humor with excellent music, this movie is my favorite. The actors are top-notch and the story is zany and fun. It didn't do too well over here, though. Why? This is one of those movies you have to watch a few times to catch everything in it. There's lots of little slapstick shots that you don't catch at first. I think it's excellent, and I hope it's released on a widescreen DVD someday.

I'm actually dumber for having watched this

Author: theworstpirateever from United States
15 December 2011

Instead of reading my review, you're actually probably best off reading the reviews for those that rated this movie positively, as you'll note that your head will hurt trying to read them. That's what watching this movie does to you, it makes you write like them.

Young Einstein is a moronic mix of 80s clichés and the kind of dumb, low brow humor that makes Dumb & Dumber and Billy Madison look like Royal Tenenbaums.

I love myself some dumb humor, I can even laugh at some films that most people bash for being extraordinarily stupid like the aforementioned Billy Madison, but this... just no. The jokes are unoriginal, unfunny, and moronic, the characters all behave like complete idiots, and there's really no plot. It's just an excuse for a bunch of terrible puns and poorly done slapstick.

Please, avoid this film, a mind is a terrible thing to waste. There's much less harmful things for your brain out there. Even huffing the paint used for the DVD-cover and case is probably better for your brain cells than watching this.

Born and Raised in Europe

Author: caspian1978 from Boston, MA
30 November 2003

A question was asked to a sophomore history class at a local high school in Massachusetts. The question was simple. Where was Albert Einstein born? Out of a class of 45 students, 45 answered Australia. The reason? All saw the movie Young Einstein and assumed since he was portrayed as a farmer growing up in Tazmania, that the young Albert Einstein was as an Australian. Each student was wrong since Einstein was born and grew up in and around Germany. In fact, I don't think Einstein ever stepped foot on Australian land let alone grew up in the country. Just like this little known (maybe unknown) fact about Einstein, the movie Young Einstein is nothing more than laughable. Factual, not exactly. Funny, absolutely!

Wacky and hilarious, if you like that kind of thing

Author: (thehumanduvet@hotmail.com) from uk
9 May 2000

Though I love this film dearly and have for many years crusaded fervently on its behalf, I have to admit that every single person I've persuaded to watch it has sat there for about half an hour with their mouths open, turned to me and said "This is appalling" (or words to that effect) and then paid no further attention, leaving me to giggle through the rest of it by myself. Imagine how glad I am the to find people here who have as much respect and admiration for Mr Serious as I do. There are more moments of original, inspired, unique, hilarious comedy in this film than in just about any other I've seen. The story is both a framework on which a massive heap of great sight gags and comic dialogue are built, and also one huge gag in itself. Serious' character performance is superbly charming and funny, and the rest of the film is filled with great acting, but it's the visuals that impress most, it's really quite astounding that such great production values could go into such a non-mainstream film, and be used so effectively. This is a marvelous film that anyone thinking of taking up film-making should be forced to check out - it would certainly improve the general standard of movies today. If you've not seen it yet, do; if you have, see it again; if you can, check out Reckless Kelly too - though not as great as Einstein it's up there, and looks just beautiful. Can't wait for the next one. Having said all that, unless you're a very special person indeed, you may very well hate it.

An excellent, fun, and amazing film I truly enjoy

Author: Charles Daniels (charlesd@calweb.com) from Sacramento, California
21 August 1999

Young Einstein is one of the most unusual and creative films I've ever seen. It is definitely one of my all time favorite Australian films. Constantly in action and hilarious the film does many clever things which often get overlooked. For instance the invention of Rock 'n Roll serves to feed a great theme in movie. Albert Einstein is a genius far ahead of his time and his attempts to introduce Rock 'n Roll and electric instruments serve to illustrate that genius is often not only misunderstood but completely unappreciated. This is in fact one of the major themes of the film - his parents don't understand him, the scientist with Marie Currie, and her teacher simply don't understand him or his theories. This film's wonderful scenery, marvellous sets, and fantastic camera work often give the impression of an extremely expensive film. However this film was anything but! Yahoo Serious pulled together this hilarious and thought provoking film on a very small budget. I have seen this film dozens of times now, on cable and in little art house theatres, and it always makes me laugh and gets my spirits a little bit up. It is definitely a film ahead of it's time, and therefore perhaps just as misunderstood and unappreciated as it's title character.

Page 3 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]