IMDb > Young Einstein (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Young Einstein

Young Einstein More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

You got to love the idea

Author: bas rutten from Eindhoven, the Netherlands
20 February 2002

"Young Einstein" is not a great movie. It's not really a good movie either. But it's an original, low-budget and very likeable movie.

Of course, it's all complete nonsense. The plot involves Yahoo Serious splitting beer atoms, inventing the electric violin and the surfing board, running into the cute Marie Curie and having a very bad hair day, and is of course full of anachronisms and other factual errors.

But does that really matter? No, of course not. This movie takes a very light and novel approach to making a movie about science. Not all the jokes are good. In fact, most are pretty bad. But at least most of them are original. And the parts were Young Einstein explains some concepts of relativity are great !

The only explanation I can give for the low rating this movie currently has is that most people simply don't understand the jokes. If you don't know what splitting an atom is, and if you don't know that beer-atoms are none-existent, then you probably hate this movie. Otherwise, it's worth a look.

**1/2 out of **** stars

Some creative genius here

Author: grinna from melbourne, australia
6 March 1999

Hats off to Yahoo Serious and his gang. This zany movie is well scripted and well acted. Scenery and costumes and special effects also done to a very high standard.

The humour seems to emanate naturally, and it has its own originality and spontaneity. Science history clashing with Australian heritage is preposterous but this adds to the excitement and energy oozing from the movie.

Legendary movie.

One of the most underrated films in this database

Author: guslinton from Perkasie, PA
25 August 2001

'Young Einstein', as well as 'Reckless Kelly' certainly don't belong on any 'worst films' list. These movies are better, by any artistic criteria, than half of the films on the IMDB 'best 250' list. Yahoo Serious is a refreshingly original and creative artist with a highly developed sense of political and social consciousness. Enjoy his work with both eyes and mind wide open.

The movie that changed history..........Almost.

Author: Jason C. Atwood from Suffolk, Virginia
18 January 1999

Not everyone will be interested in YOUNG EINSTEIN because it's too goofy and offbeat for their liking. It's a smart, reasonable production from an Aussie with an imaginative sense of humor. Who believed history would have changed with the invention of rock-and-roll music in 1906? We all know in real life that Albert Einstein didn't create a math formula for electric guitar noises, but this is a satiric approach to a world-famous individual who came up with E-equals-emcee-squared. Then again, Yahoo Serious might have invented kitty-kat pies! A very unique, and practical talent from the guy. Take it or leave it.

90 minutes of Silliness

Author: eowyn_in_gondor from Kuwait
19 August 2003

Others have condemned this film as codswallop. If you're one for historical fact, you shouldn't watch it. That doesn't make it a bad film, however. It's one of those films that just to be silly. Albert Einstein is a Tasmanian apple farmer who surfs, E=mc2 is pronounced "Emck" and is used to put the bubbles in beer, and the chef at the mental assylum puts live kittens in a pie (Don't worry, Albert saves them). It's a good movie for watching during a pajama party. The director may be Yahoo Serious, but this movie is anything but.

It's a Great Invention

Author: magicp167 from Hilliard, Ohio
24 June 2002

I have to say that this movie is as comedic as they come. I mean every time I watch this movie I always have a smile on my face. And every scene is just funny as hell. I love this movie. But there are some people that will disagree with me. But I still recommend this movie. This movie was conceived by Yahoo Serious (who plays Albert Einstein and also directed and wrote the movie). This is his best invention of all. He could come up with a million good ideas, but he could never surpass this hilarious movie. So, see this movie (if you can find it).

Who cares about historical facts?

Author: korhonenmika from Finland
6 November 2005

I'm big Einstein fan, so why not love the movie which tells his story. I have read lot's of Albert, so I don't even want to watch again some historical document(film) of him. I seriously think that this movie tells me about Einsteins character more than 10 books, because I see his attitude to world has been very similarly with this movie character.

The movie have all elements to be loved in a good movie, romance, science, comedy and crazy inventions made by lovely and clever personality from our close history. Even Marie Curie can't resist his authentic power to be that little rock on the seashore, in big Universum.

And peoples who hate this one, please, go back to watch "The fast and the furious". I know from past that they-kind are more interested about motors than brain acceleration...

I Think He Owns A Saucepan

Author: daveisit from Melbourne, Australia
7 December 2000

As a writer, director, and lead role in this movie, Yahoo Serious not only made a lot of money, he made a great movie. "Young Einstein" entertains children, and is off beat enough for adults to enjoy too. The slightly sarcastic direction, and good soundtrack should be enough for everyone to give it a chance.

Corny but funny

Author: sunflowerspoom from USA
14 April 2004

I just saw the movie on Starz. Although it was corny and I can see why many didn't like it, I just couldn't stop laughing. Whether the jokes were good or bad, I laughed and that is good enough for me to say it was good. I was also surprised by how well done it was. I mean the quality was excellent. I guess if I was in a bad mood the movie wouldn't be half as good, but I thought it to be very enjoyable and would recommend for a movie for the parents and kids to enjoy. Of course everything in it is historically incorrect but that's the fun part. I give Yahoo Serious a lot of credit for making this a good flick. But I wouldn't go as far to say it was the best movie of all time and a beautiful piece of art but a movie doesn't have to be beautiful to be good. I at least got a rise out of it and would rather watch this 20 times than to see Justin and Kelly. I hope whoever is interested or already saw it will/did too.

See this film on it's Soundtrack Merit only

Author: riddler_1138-3 from Broken Arrow, Ok
26 August 2003

I saw this film when I was a teen living in Great Britain and for some really odd unexplainable reason, the soundtrack has still stuck with me. The song played during the credits, "Ice-House - Great Southern Land" is by far one of my all time favorite songs. I found the soundtrack on Amazon a few years back and i play it regulary. The film itself isn't the greatest but I do enjoy watching the "Journey to the Mainland", not just for the song but for the amazing camera work and scenery. Yahoo Serious' career never really took off and he's kinda like Carrot Top. You either love him or you hate him.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]