IMDb > World Gone Wild (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

World Gone Wild More at IMDbPro »

Good Cheese

Author: Fred Zeppelin from United States
19 January 2005

Chances are, if Michael Pare is the star of the movie, it is cheesy. Not necessarily bad, but cheesy. "Streets Of Fire", in my opinion, was great, but cheese notwithstanding. This movie is of the Mad Max ilk, but instead of fuel, it's water that is coveted. Adam Ant plays a Manson-type cult figure who is trying to rob Bruce Dern's town of its water/treasure, and Michael Pare comes in to help Dern with a pretty motley bunch. Adam Ant was quite good, and Bruce Dern was funny. Michael Pare was....well...Michael Pare. No one will confuse his body of work with DeNiro or Pacino, but if you like him, as I do, well, it doesn't make us bad people, does it?

If you are looking for "Saving Private Ryan", this ain't it. If you are like cheese, this beats Velveeta.

A Superb Futuristic Offering

Author: Randy Rascal from South East England, UK
8 January 2003

A great eighties film forgotten by people. Adam Ant portrays a great little villain in a surrounding of horror and endurance. A great array of oddball characters banded together as a team is wonderful to watch.

In some ways it reminds me of Battle Beyond The Stars, another great film along the same lines - a group of very different people set against a venomous evil. World Gone Wild - Highly Recomended film.

Unable to Find

Author: p_winch from United States
11 November 2006

I remember seeing this film at the theatre. I had no idea what I was going to see, but a friend dragged me out to it. Needless to say, I enjoyed it immensely.

I say this with a sad tinge as, for some weird reason, the people responsible for ensuring that it stayed on VHS/DVD, dropped the ball, but decided to let other, far worse movies, stay in publication.

If you pass this up, you miss out on such greats as Bruce Dern, and Michael Pare'.

If there was a hidden message of the movie, it was that we were/are destroying our precious resources with all that we do to mother earth, but even then, there will be those who feel they have the power over others.

If you get the rare chance to see it, I'd recommend it.

As opposed to girls gone wild...

Author: Frank Markland from United States
1 August 2006

Bruce Dern stars as a hippie who gets his son (Michael Pare) and a bunch of other mercenaries to help fight of Adam Ant (Who starts a church of Charles Manson) in this strange post apocalypse action flick. The thing that makes this weird is the cast which includes Bruce Dern, Michael Pare, Adam Ant, Julias Carry, Catharine Mary Stewart and Anthony James who all are offbeat actors with different styles of acting. All that was missing was Wings Hauser. Still I must admit this was a lot of fun due to it's sheer weirdness. The movie has mutant cannibals, a church of Charles Manson and Bruce Dern as a pot smoking hippie fighter who leads a civilization of flower children. The romance angle between Pare and Stewart is extremely amusing mainly due to the fact that it is just so unlikely. Stewart is of course the resident babe found in these type of movies. Although I was amused to see Stewart scold Michael Pare and Co. for killing mutant cannibals and then laughing about it, to which she goes in a long winded speech about how they are all animals, to which gets (quite understandably may I add) the mercenaries to laugh even harder. The action sequences are for the most part well staged and Adam Ant is really good in the role as the bad guy who is the priest of the church of helter skelter. World Gone Wild is such a bizarre movie one only wishes that this would have turned out to be a television show or at least established some sequels because right here could have been the greatest TV show ever. You could have Pare and Dern protect these villagers every week from some new villain and develop the silliness of the relationship between Stewart and Pare. World Gone Wild is no classic but this is perfect fodder for the B.movie fan who has an appetite for guilty pleasure post apocalypse movies.

* *1/2 out of 4-(Pretty good)

Fast Forgetable Fun

Author: sydde from Minneapolis, MN, USA
22 October 1999

I remembered Michael Pare and Adam Ant as heart-throbs from my highschool days in the early 80's, and so snapped up this so-called futuristic action flick when I saw it on the cheap shelf at my local video rental shop.

The cast are a notable list of where-are-they-now's doing their best with a rather unimaginative Mad Max clone.

Worth seeing for a few dazzeling action sequences, and some amusing one-liners, if you've nothing better to do on a weeknight. Just don't expect Thunderdome.

A Magical Trip

Author: Jon Wigand from United States
11 November 2002

Ok It's true, the only character in this film experiencing any magic is Bruce Dern's, but it really is a fun trip. And if you can get over the cheesy music, and lame graphics in the opening credits, you will probably enjoy some of the bizarre humor it offers. The characters are memorable, and almost invite you to laugh along with them.

There will be Helter-skelter

Author: Lumiere-5 from United States
1 May 2003

Yet another Seven Samurai ripoff--did you notice the picture of Steve MacQueen in Michael Pare's hovel, just in case we didn't get it? This thing has two things to reccomend it--Bruce Dern being more or less as crazy as always, which has been a great thing to watch since The Cowboys at the very least, and Adam Ant proving that he should have done more movies because he is really entertaining. I wonder if they've done it on MST3K.

One of those dumb Drive-In movies you'll love! :)

Author: gilligan1965 from United States
12 August 2015

This is a good movie with a lot of great and believable scenes because of the good actors...but, the movie, overall (the script), is something that only a teen like me would like at a Drive-In back in the 1980s!

The premise of this movie is silly - these people, overall, without rain for fifty years have little water, but, those in the 'city' are still walking and having babies; and, have oil and gasoline (and, coolant!?!?) for their vehicles in the midst of a water shortage!?!? And, those who live in the desert all seem to be quite healthy with water and have clean clothing (Bruce Dern with his new t-shirts, and, the motorcycle cult in bright white outfits!?!?); but, where are the crops and animals to maintain this lifestyle in this 'desert?' Also, where are the guns at the beginning of this movie to protect this vital water source and way-of-life that these desert-people have!?!? It makes no sense!?!?

But...it doesn't have to!

If you were a 'Drive-In Nut' as I was in the 1980s, you didn't care about any of these technicalities...you loved to see hot women in B-Movies. Catherine Mary Stewart was among these hot women for teenage boys; but, if there's no water...how is she still so hot!?!? And, if so, with a woman this hot, isn't it stupid to allow more sex-starved men into this camp?

What about the men already there!?!? Two new men to the camp came-on to her, and, one of them tried to rape her...DUH! In a normal world, she's hot! In this world, she's a goddess! She's more rare than the water!

I especially like how Catherine Mary Stewart's character kept a framed-photo of Steve McQueen and said how handsome he is; and, how Michael Paré's character said how that photo of Steve McQueen gave him the creeps!?!? Ha-ha! :D Steve McQueen was the best! :)

This is a good movie that if given a higher budget and a better script, would have been great. The script is awful, but, the acting and certain scenes are great!

I give this Drive-In Classic seven stars! :) I give Catherine Mary Stewart's presence and loveliness 11 Stars! ;)

derivative B-movie

Author: SnoopyStyle
11 April 2015

It's 2087, 75 years after the start of the final war. It lasted 15 years and left the world devastated. It hasn't rained for 50 years. Lost Wells is a settlement in the desert that actually has water. The peaceful villagers welcome Derek Abernathy (Adam Ant) and his cult followers. Abernathy immediately massacres and enslave many in the settlement. Ethan (Bruce Dern) rises to challenge him. Ethan takes school teacher Angie Banning (Catherine Mary Stewart) to the big city and find a barbaric world desperate for water. Ethan recruits his old partner George Landon (Michael Paré) and others to battle Abernathy's cult.

This takes the style of 'Mad Max 2' even including the white outfits. They're throwing hubcaps like the boomerang. The plot is pulled from 'Seven Samurai' like many other movies such as Steve McQueen in 'The Magnificent Seven'. However it's nowhere near the same vision or quality. Adam Ant is not the most imposing villain but he fits the low quality camp. I always like some Catherine Mary Stewart and Bruce Dern is one of the great actors of our times. Michael Paré is an oddity of the 80s and I've never understood his leading man appeal. The setup is clunky. The dialog isn't much better. It's a poor production pulling elements from other better movies.

I'd want more water for my voucher....

Author: FlashCallahan from Leicester, United Kingdom
7 April 2013

In the nuclear ravaged wasteland of Earth 2087 water is as precious as life itself.

The isolated Lost Wells outpost survived the holocaust and the inhabitants guard the source of their existence.

An evil cult of renegades want control of their valuable water supply. And the villagers are no match for such brute military force. Only one man can help the stricken community - a mercenary living in a distance cannibal city.

But even he, and his strange henchmen, may not be able to survive in the world gone wild....

Films like this were rife in the eighties, from Mad Max, to Cyborg, to Spacehunter, they were released regularly, and some were of very poor quality. This however is one of the better ones and I've never heard of this film, until it appeared on MGM HD.

But these post apocalyptic movies always carry the same type of story and narrative. Something is always in short supply, the good guys hardly have anything to keep then alive, whilst the bad guys are always in supply of weapons and vehicles.

And there always is the random rugged guy who saves the day.

But it's the way the film is executed that makes the story interesting, and this is beyond the realm of bonkers, it cannot be anything other than a lot of fun.

Ant is acceptable as the villain, he doesn't really get much to say or do, just a lot of shots of him standing up on a truck. Pare is the Mad Max of the film, albeit a really gentle one who doesn't really do much except chase around the girl from Weekend at Bernies.

Dean is the best thing about this, walking around with a swagger and then walking off in the middle of a huge battle, without a care in the world.

It's not anything remarkable, but its a lot of fun and it never gets boring.

Highly recommended.