IMDb > As Tears Go By (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Wang Jiao ka men

As Tears Go By More at IMDbPro »Wang Jiao ka men (original title)

Page 3 of 3: [Prev][1] [2] [3]

a strictly cosmetic Hong Kong crime melodrama

Author: Michael Neumann from United States
5 November 2010

The romantic (and likely mistranslated) title says a lot about this busy but empty underworld drama, in which the false glamour of crime and punishment is dressed up with plenty of teenage angst and no shortage of cosmetic style. The lack of any larger then life heroics (so common in Hong Kong action epics) is refreshing at first, but after a while the mean street poses and back alley beatings all begin to look alike, although the physical violence is, apparently, more punishing to watch than to receive, since nobody is disabled for longer than a scene or two. Never mind the mechanics of the actual plot, following a self-reliant young hood forced to risk his small empire to protect a reckless, troublemaking 'brother'; the general thrust of the narrative is slanted more toward the martyrdom so dear to an alienated, lovelorn teenage rebel's heart. Legible subtitles (and a better Cantonese-English dictionary) might have made an improvement.

I fall asleep

Author: heavy metal is the law from Argentina
21 May 2009

I saw this movie yesterday, and let me tell you my friends it didn't disappoint me. But don't get me wrong, it's not that this movie is fabulous (God forbid), is that I hadn't any expectations before seeing it.

The film starts good. We have our main character, a lonely and tough guy who receives a phone call from a relative (aunt?), telling him that he has to give shelter to an unknown cousin of him for a few days. This cousin is a young woman who wears a chinstrap due to some illness. They hit it off quickly and she is introduced to his cousin world: an underground world full of crime. Here, in this world, we are introduced to the character's brothers: Fly (a gangster wannabe) and Site (Fly's sidekick). After some scenes of violence involving the three brothers, we learn that Ngo (the girl), had to go back to her home. Hau Tau (the main character), not waiting to loose Ngo's love, decided to track her back. After this, I fall asleep

Again, don't get me wrong people. The movie is not that hideous, I was very tired after a grueling day of work. However, between the part we learn about Ngo's departure and Hau tau's travel to Ngo's place, the movie somehow slows down a bit in a very noticeable way.

To sum up, this movie it's not so bad, but it's not s good either. After all, it is just another movie

the best drama by WONG KAR WAI...the only one with a real story!

Author: pegasus8228 from HK
11 January 2004

while Wong Kar Wai's movies are watchable even thought there is no real story. this movie has one, and it is his best achievement. the 2 best HK movies in the 1980's are A Better Tomorrow and As Tear Goes By. But this movie somehow had not got the attention abroad

Page 3 of 3: [Prev][1] [2] [3]