IMDb > Winnie (1988) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Winnie (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Excellent movie.

Author: anonymous from ohio
4 April 1999

Excellent movie about a slow woman in an institution and her life to try to be a normal person. Sad, moving and a must see. Saw it on tv a while ago. Wish it was on video

Surprisingly good. Baxter excels.

Author: generic230 from Los Angeles
15 May 2000

Meredith Baxter portrays the mentally challenged Winnie in what is a completely convincing, very moving, subtle performance. It's well written, well-directed, well-acted. There are a few bumps and cloying moments, but very few considering the subject matter and that it was made for TV. Fell upon it by accident, and was literally drawn in.

Sweet, moving story of a retarded girl trying to be normal

Author: lyndaful from Lombard, IL
27 June 1999

Once again Meredith Baxter pulls it off by playing Winnie, a retarded girl who was put in an institution at an early age. David Morse played her retarded boyfriend. Her sister comes to visit her whenever she can, but as years passed, she died of cancer, and Winnie felt very alone, except for her friendship with David Morse, and other classmates. She worked hard to lead a normal life, and she did a darn good job at it!

Winnie 1988 Movie

Author: Dianne Clark from California
25 January 2016

I Luv this movie Winnie (1988 Movie) I saw it years ago and it makes me laugh, cry, and everything in between Lol! And that was years ago in the 80's when I first seen it. And am here to tell you it still stands the test of time, because I just saw it again tonight someone had down loaded it on you tube and I watched it again and I found myself right back there 20 years ago laughing and crying once again. I wish more people in the world thought like Winnie...then this world would be a much better place too live in because her heart was very big and full of love for her fellow human beings, her and Thomas were a riot together and I do plan to buy the book based on the movie called: Winnie my life in the insititution. The movie was so great and I got so caught up in the story that I hated for it too end, it should have been two more hours long. It help me too also remember what a great actress Meredith Baxter is even still this day! I recommend anyone with a heart to see this movie..you will not be disappointed, Winnie am glad your dream came true!

Sweet Winnie!

Author: (sylviastel@aol.com) from United States
6 December 2009

Meredith Baxter Birney was moonlighting in television movies while she was starring as Elyse Keaton in the hit network series, "Family Ties." In this movie, she plays a retarded adult who manages to have a normal life despite the difficulties that she would face. She gets a boyfriend and library card. Her sister played by Lee Garlington dies and nobody bothers to tell her. She replies "What are they afraid that I'm going to jump on the coffin." I remember that phrase or something like that clearly. Television like this offered opportunities for Baxter and others to showcase their acting talents and allowing them to grow. They don't make television movies on network anymore but it was nice while it lasted.

a woman with special needs living in a group home

Author: babycry from United States
3 July 2007

Only the BEST made for TV movie ever! Meredith Baxter Bernie outdoes herself in this film! With moving lines such as " I got a library card" and "I don't know about feet", she brings life to the character of a women, learning to live in the "outside" world. and who could forget the heartwarming " ring ring" segments Between Winnie and her True love Thomas Carr! This movie provides it all, the outrage you feel when Winnie gets propositioned outside of the library, and the triumph, when she finishes her novel!If you had to pick only one, made for TV, Meredith Baxter movie to see, this one is it!

"i'm a singer, and a drummer and a DJ...DJ"

A movie about a retarded woman trying to live a normal life

Author: Trevor (twjsmith22) from Canada
15 September 2002

**SPOILERS** This movie is excellent! I really wish it was being distributed on video. There are some scenes from this movie that today still resonate in my mind. Like the scene were Winnie is in the childrens section at the library and two girls start chuckling and giggling at her. At first she does not know what is going on but she soon figures it out. Winnie jumps up and screams "I am a human being! I am not some speck. I have feelings too." The scene ends when a librarian comes in and Winnie leaves crying. In another scene Winnie is walking along a road and a man stops and askes if she would like a ride. Winnie has not been taught any better so she accepts. The man drives her to the end of a road and tries to rape her. She defends herself and as a result is thrown out of the car. The man drives away and Winnie realizes he has her money and library card. She runs after the car screaming that this man still has some of her things but he leaves her stranded. I really hope people see this movie and i also hope it is put out onto video very soon. The acting is great and so is the story about a woman who made her disability an asset and did not think of it as a liability. P.S. Please excuse spelling errors. * * * * * (5 out of 5)