IMDb > Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Who Framed Roger Rabbit More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 25: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Great family film.

Author: Craig Barron (countvonbarron) from Colorado
15 September 2013

"Who Framed Roger Rabbit?"

A review by Craig Barron.

In "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?", a 1988 film by Robert Zemeckis (Forrest Gump, Castaway,

the Back to the Future trilogy) Zemeckis masterfully combines animation and live action in one of

the most technically challenging and innovative films ever made. It the not the first film to mix

live action and animation together but it is hands down the the one that does it best. It succeeds,

however because the filmmakers don't show off their technical expertise we also get a very

witty and sharp satire that affectionately parodies the film noir genre as well as the detective

dramas of the 1940s.

Bob Hoskins as the detective, Eddie Valiant, gives a flawless performance one of his best.

And Christopher LLoyd creates one of the most memorable screen villains of all time as the

menacing Judge Doom. The big reveal about his true identity (which I won't spoil here) is

delightful and given the identity of the actor playing the role a natural one as well.

My main complaint about the film, ironically enough is the actor who provides the voice of

Roger comedian Charles Fleischer. I found the voice the be somewhat annoying and grating.

This however is a minor quibble as this is one Zemeckis's best films and one of Disney's best

Zemeckis has always been an innovator in the use of special effects in his films and this one is

different. A superb family entertainment for both adults and kids alike it it highly recommended.

Who did it.

Author: ishuge from United States
2 August 2013

Who Framed Roger Rabbit The two known actors of this film are Christopher Lloyd (Judge Doom) and Bob Hopkins (Eddie Valiant). There are others but they were voice overs for the toons. In this film it takes 2 different styles of film and joins them. It mostly deals with the real world as a setting but it has cartoon characters intermixing with reality. The theme of the film is thought to be clearing Roger's name by Eddie, but the whole story actually revolves around saving Toontown from destruction by Judge Doom. There are a lot of plot twists that the first time through you would not notice that help you see the dots connected. You learn about why Eddie dislikes toons so much as the story goes on. In the end he loses his hatred for toons and avenges his brother's murder by a toon which ends up being Judge Doom's real self a squeaky voiced red eyed evil toon. In the end the bad guy dies Judge Doom and Roger is cleared and Toontown is saved by Roger and Eddie. A film with a similar theme would be Hoodwinked. The fairytale characters are framed for doing something and the movie is about finding out who did it while proving their innocents. The lighting played a big part in leading the theme. When R.K. Maroon was murdered you see the shadow of the gun peeking through the window as it comes through to shoot him the dimness of the lighting adds to the evil feel of it. Then the dark alley as Jessica Rabbit runs off gives you the feeling she might have been the murder and plotter that framed Roger. Throughout the film the lighting helps you know something interesting or important to the progression of the film is coming or is happening. In the end when Toontown is saved, Judge Doom is dead and the Will is found the brightness of Toontown in the background lightens the mood as the film ends leaving you feeling like everything ended the way it should with a HAPPY ENDING.

They say you can judge a lot about a film by its title that is more than true in the case of this film the title is the theme all wrapped up in a nutshell. The whole movie is about finding out who framed him and who did the killing and plotting.

A Neat Blend of Crime and Cartoons

Author: nonprofitgnome1 from United States
27 July 2013

For it's time, Who Faramed Roger Rabbit the feat. It was unlike any movie out and to this day it is still pretty unique. The way they blended live action with the cartoon worlds was very novel. It's also pretty amazing that they were able to get so many licensed cartoon characters to have cameos in the movie. From Tweety to Mickey, this movie had them all.

More so than just being a visual treat, the movie has an engaging crime story. Trying to follow along with the "who done it" plot is quite a treat. It's clearly meant for more than just a cartoon loving kid. With that said, I am shocked at the PG rating as there were some questionable moments for a PG movie but I think that was more a product of the times of when the movie was released.

If you haven't seen Who Framed Roger Rabbit yet, you owe it to yourself to give it a watch at least to see how well the two worlds, cartoon and live action, were blended.

The Ultimate Toon Caper

Author: breakdownthatfilm-blogspot-com from United States
25 July 2013

Wouldn't it be great if cartoons lived among people in the real world? Imagine how different the world could be. Honestly, it might drive a few people insane, but I believe the majority of us would be totally fine with it. Well unfortunately, that kind of fantasy isn't around so in place of that, we have this movie that honestly would make every single cartoon lover fall over with happiness. Just like The Avengers (2012) where that contained all the favorite characters, so does this - all one's favorite cartoon characters are all in one movie.

What's interesting is that this movie plays like a regular detective movie but with cartoons. This is a unique step because any film after that to incorporate cartoons into their story would be just to stop an evil mastermind with a supporting human character that just didn't give the audience the believability they needed to have the best connection with. So this story does take place in the 1940's, but, that's when times and the technology used was simpler and crimes were solved with just a few clues. The plot revolves around a cartoon star named Roger Rabbit who ends up getting framed for homicide.

Leading this investigation is a troubled detective named Eddie Valiant (Bob Hoskins) who has a tragic history. Together, when these two are paired up, it makes an interesting watch due to how well this whole movie was made. And it's not just this duo that makes the film an interesting watch. Along with the set of famous cartoons that have their own cameos in this picture, comes a bunch of new characters that also display their own charm. The Weasels, Judge Doom (Christopher Lloyd), Baby Herman and several others are an interesting bunch of cartoons.

The most astounding element to this film is the animation and puppetry used to make the cartoons look as lifelike and three-dimensional as possible. It is by far, the most convincing live-action special effects ever done for a live-action cartoon film. It may have been done for the other films to come after, but it just doesn't match the quality here. The effects just look so much more real. Also the musical score provided by Alan Silvestri may have not been special in a sense that it provided a main theme for Roger Rabbit, but he have one for Eddie Valiant and much of it were jazzy tunes involving bass lines. This helped support the period that the story takes place. However, the music was a little short on running time. But either way, it must be seen; it has Warner Brother and Disney cartoons sharing the same frame!

If one wants to experience a cartoon ensemble movie, this is the one to see. The acting is superb, the characters are lovable and it has a great story.

Detectives with a twist

Author: outofthegutter123 from London, England
18 July 2013

At first glance it's very easy to write this film off as a mis-match of two completely different styles, which come together to create a unrealistic and polarized world. But when you actually watch the film, and experience the attention to detail and incredible writing it becomes very clear that this unlikely match is exactly what makes this movie a classic.

First of all, considering it's age the integration of live action and cartoons are astounding, and still surprise me to this day. The design of the characters is perfect, and the voice acting leaves no stone unturned, taking every essence of each character and finding just the right match.

And while wildly different genres can be easily described as wacky, or insane, the director manages to pull off a murder mystery featuring cute and lovable cartoon characters, and does it incredibly well. The story is airtight, and the writing reminds me of every detective story involving dark offices, and smoking etc.

Sure, it's not perfect, the ending leaves a little to be desired and the line between fantasy and reality does occasionally thin a little, but overall this film is smart and very well produced. If you haven't seen it already, do, and if you have but are considering experience this old gem again, I highly recommend it.

Original, Funny, and Nostalgic - a truly "magical" film

Author: ChristianUnchained
23 April 2013

This movie is a masterpiece. An incredible achievement in special effects and film editing, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, even 25 years after its original release in 1988, has stood the test of time and become a film near and dear to my heart. I grew up with this movie, and the cartoons peppered within, and seeing this movie again just makes me yearn for the good old days of fantastically violent cartoon comedy. It's filled with lighthearted laughs but isn't afraid to be darkly comical, and Zemeckis walks this tight rope act perfectly. It features an original and surprisingly great film noir story, phenomenal animation and strong performances to boot. There isn't a moment of live/animated action that looks fake; it all feels tangible and real, which is the real achievement (and amazing that 25 years later it still looks fantastic). It's also incredibly sad that we will never, ever get another movie quite like Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Cartoons have changed, and so has Hollywood. Who Framed Roger Rabbit is one of the finest examples of "movie magic" if I ever saw it, and I will defend that to the day I die. I may be wearing my nostalgia on my sleeve a little, but I can truly say that this movie has aged phenomenally well and is truly a masterful film.

oooh, look! Stars!

Author: anchoreddown from United States
8 March 2013

Great for it's imagery, Who Framed Roger Rabbit is a perfect nostalgic piece from the 80s for those who grew up watching it.

Oddly enough, Roger Rabbit serves as the middle chapter of the Back To The Future trilogy considering Robert Zemeckis & Bob Gale didn't do much in between BTTF and BTTF2. Not only that, but it was filmed primarily at Pinewood studios, just as Batman was being made.

It is normally extremely difficult to render live action with cartoon animation, especially for the actors. From what I've heard, Charles Flescher actually did rehearse with Bob Hoskins in a big rabbit costume.

Next to the cartoons, Christopher Lloyd as Judge Doom is another big part of the movie. As a theater trained actor, he is extremely good at what he does and gives that creepy vibe. Not only that, but he had to work with the animation for his big scene near the end of the movie.

Great piece of work. It's something that I could watch again and again and again. Also goes hand in hand w BTTF if you're into watching multiple movies in a row.

Becareful you may laugh yourself to death

Author: lagudafuad from Nigeria
5 March 2013

Who Framed Roger Rabbit is a wonderful fantasy comedy directed by Robert Zemeckis (Back to the Future (1985), Mars Needs Moms (2011), Real Steel (2011) and Flight (2012))and done by Spielberg's Amblin Studios and Disney's Touchstone pictures. It combines live action and animation in a blend that made it match up to the fit of Disney's Mary Poppins which till date is Disney's most Oscar nominated film and it went home with 5 wins. Like Mary Poppins live action and animation combination that came out grand, so did this, although unlike Mary Poppins, where the animation and the characters hardly interact, in this movie they seem to be always around each other.

This interaction was so well done that you have to give kudos to the animators and animation directors.

The movie plot is about a cartoon star Roger Rabbit whose wife was caught on camera by a P.I. Eddie Valiant (Bob Hoskins) playing pattycake with another man. That man soon ends up dead and Roger is being accused for the murder. Now Roger has no hope but to run to the toon hating P.I. Eddie who took the pictures in the first place, now both are stuck together as they try to figure out why someone will be trying to frame Roger Rabbit.

The screenplay is written by Jeffrey Price and Peter S. Seaman (who also worked together on Dr' Seuss screenplay adaptation of How The Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)) and is based on Gary K. Wolf's 1981 novel named Who Censored Roger Rabbit? Both book and movie depict a world in which cartoon characters interact directly with human beings.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit won 4 Oscars and it was a critical acclaim, many enjoyed the comic and the fun story the movie carries and at the time of its production it was one of the most expensive animations ever made. Its production cost was 70 million dollars and it was a box office success making over 320 million in its time of release.

In conclusion, Who Framed Roger Rabbit is a classic animation from the 80s that all should get the chance to see even if it is just once. Talks are going about that Disney is in talks with Amblin (Steven Spielberg) and even director Robert Zemeckis to make a sequel to this fine film, although Bob Hoskins has retired from acting, I feel that the writers can still come up with something we all want to see.

www.lagsreviews.com

Rabbit hops along at an hilarious pace.

Author: st-shot from United States
26 February 2013

One of the most original and novel films of the eighties Who Framed Roger Rabbit is a laugh filled non-stop comedy for all ages as well as subversive satire with historical roots. It is also history making with the first and only appearance on stage together of the two biggest quacks in animation history Donald and Daffy.

Private Detective Eddie Valiant is hired to get the goods on cartoon star Roger Rabbit's voluptuous wife Jessica and Acme cartoon producer Marvin Acme. Producing evidence RR goes ballistic and Acme ends up dead. Naturally Rog is the prime suspect but Valiant digs deeper and finds there is a lot more to the equation than a simple homicide.

Melding animation with reality fluidly Rabbit takes off from the get go with high comic moments from end to end as both Looney, Disney and assorted other cartoon greats make appearances that will permanently imprint a smile on your face from beginning to end. In addition there are some wonderfully appropriate references to Chinatown mimicking not only scenes but also bureaucratic skulduggery with a basis in truth that plagued LA in the first half of the century.

Bob Hoskins as the rumpled alcoholic gumshoe is fire plug sized perfect to ride around in talking taxi's and punch out cartoon characters with a frustrated cynicism. Christopher Lloyd also fills the villain role with aplomb, sadistically dispensing with a toon in the films most disturbing scene. On the animation side Roger is annoyingly and hilariously unable to put a cork in it. The buxom Jessica is a combination Lauren Bacall, Mae West who claims she's not bad, "just drawn that way". Then there are the dozens of cameo performances of animated greats populating the film that never allow you to catch your breath along with all sorts of cartoon gadgets that make you realize the kid in you never left. Who Framed Roger Rabbit deserves to be called a unique classic.

Mice and Rabbits Unite

Author: DJ Zurn from United States
25 February 2013

Growing up as a kid, I had this stuffed rabbit doll that I used to sleep with at night and carry around with me everywhere I went. Since I was young, I never really got the name of the rabbit until I saw this masterpiece of a film and was blown all the way to the moon. Who Framed Roger Rabbit is not only a comical action packed suspense thriller, but a film which brings all our childhood fantasies to reality. Who didn't want to see Mickey Mouse interact with Bugs Bunny? Who didn't want to see Donald Duck throw Daffy Duck into a piano? Who didn't want to see Mary Poppins' penguins serving drinks in a nightclub? It's all stuff we imagined as youngsters, and this film brought it all together in a well paced, well put together, exciting, innovative, and most of all entertaining epic. It's undeniably one of my all time favorite animated films and one of my all time favorite films in general.

I think what I love most about this movie is the way the human characters interact with the cartoon characters. The way Eddie Valiant (Bob Hoskins) picks up Roger and tosses him in the sink, pretending to do his laundry, it's hilarious and impressive at the same time, and I still question how they were able to pull off such an effect. The way Jessica Rabbit dances around Marvin Acme, tugging on his cheeks and taking the hat off his head, it makes you think the cartoon characters are actually there and not inked animated creations superimposed over the film. I also like the scenes where the cartoons interact with human appliances. The scene where Roger is drinking, he's drinking from a real glass and he picks it up just like a flesh and blood human would. The scene where Roger is smashing plates over his head, he's smashing real plates and not animated cartoon ones. The scene where the Toon Patrol tracks down Eddie, they are wielding real guns and not cartoon ones. What's ironic is that the human Eddie would wield a cartoon gun later on in the film.

This film has the perfect blend of slapstick, humor, drama, terror and straight forward fun, which makes sense for a film involving cartoon entities. I love some of the jokes seen throughout the motion picture and the puns spewed from the mouths of some of the characters really add a bit of comic relief, even in the film's most horrifying of scenes. I really love Charles Fleischer's voice work as Roger Rabbit, but would you believe Paul "Pee-Wee Herman" Reubens originally auditioned for the voice. Although Reubens would have done a great job, I really dig Fleischer's voicing of the character, especially his PWWWWLLLEEEAASSSEEE! You gotta love that, for it's the character's most distinctive trademark and makes him stick out among other rabbit characters in the world of the Toons. Bob Hoskins is also phenomenal as Eddie Valiant and to this day, it's considered one of his best roles, although I'll always remember him for playing Mario Mario.

But the actor who steals the show in my eyes is Christopher Lloyd as the slinky yet intimidating Judge Doom. Straight out of Back to the Future, Lloyd delivers a menacing performance that has you laughing and screaming in fright all at once. You really feel frightened by this dude, and although he is defeated in the end, he sticks out in your mind and has his cartoonish red eyes watching you in your dreams. He's just that chilling. Although the human/cartoon interaction and Lloyd are some of my favorite aspects of the film, my favorite moment of the film is the scene at the very end where the wall to Toon Town is broken and all our favorites come running out to get the spotlight. Literally, ALL our favorites are there. Mickey, Bugs, Betty Boop, Woody Woodpecker, Donald, Daffy, Goofy, Yosemite Sam, Pinocchio, Droopy Dog, even Peter from Disney's adaptation of Peter and the Wolf somehow squeezes in a cameo. My only gripe is that my all time favorite cat and mouse duo Tom and Jerry don't make an appearance, but that's just a miner nitpick.

Overall, this is a perfect movie. This film clearly displays what films are made of or can be made of if a lot of hard work and ingenuity are put into them. This film clearly displays what fantasies and images of imagination are all about, and takes all the things we love about the Toons and blends them all together into one solid concoction. It also combines genres. One time it can be an action thriller, the other time it can be a romantic comedy, the other time it can be a horror film with Judge Doom drowning a Toon shoe in the horrid "Dip". It puts together a lot of stuff we love about the movies and when you set your eyes upon this film, no matter how many times you set your eyes upon it, your inner child is released and in no time, you feel like your in another dimension filled with flying elephants and reluctant dragons. AND DON'T FORGET THE FLOWERS AND TREES. This is a solid picture that I've seen so many times, and I still can't believe how magnificent it is.