IMDb > Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 24:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Smile Darn Ya Smile

Author: Valeen_the_II from United States
17 November 2006

This movie is excellent! It's funny, suspenseful,& witty. The leads, Roger & Eddie are likable in their own unique ways and the FX are breathtaking! Bob Hoskins & Chris Lloyd deserved Oscar nods IMO.

WFRR is what most of today's CGI films "pretend" to be! A mature, family film that people of many generations can enjoy!

Anyone who hasn't seen this film I definitely recommend it! If you like quirky comedies,fantasies, suspenseful films, or are a cartoon geek watch WFRR!...

As a huge fan of all things comedic, I love the film's message about laughter!

When the film opens, detective Eddie Valiant (Bob Hoskins) is this disenchanted, cynical alkie who hasn't gotten over the murder of his brother who was killed by a toon...Because of this Eddie[ who was once known for his penchant for solving toon-related cases, getting the colorful playful creatures out of trouble] resents ALL toons now and refuses to work for or with them.

Too bad Roger Rabbit doesn't know this. He is a toon who is wanted for a murder he didn't commit and hounded by the creepy & corrupt judge/jury/executioner : Judge Doom. Thus he seeks Valiant's help. During their search for the true killer and their evasion of Judge Doom & his weasel cohorts, Eddie wonders how Roger can have such an exuberant clownlike spirit in the face of possible death. Roger tells Eddie "a laugh can be a very powerful thing, why sometimes in life it's the only weapon we have."

The tone of the film is a mixture of dark noir frenetic tooniness a sultry yet strong damsel (the one and only Jessica Rabbit) and social racial allegory.

The film's theme of minorities (the toons) vs. genocide & "the man" (Judge Doom)....And of Eddie's prejudices against toons (due to his brother's murder) disappearing at the end, thus he overcomes his alcoholism and grief or Roger's very motto of "Laughter is a powerful weapon" and how that helps Eddie in the final showdown (by killing the weasels with laughter and thwarting Judge Doom with a toon prop that malfunctions his diabolical machine).

American Pop-culture & escapism ARE powerful weapons against misery, hatred & life's hardships in general. And they help unite all different walks of life.

WFRR takes place in the WWII era towards the 50s...While the 40's were a time of American unity, escapism & pop-culture (what the "toons" represent) The 50's were more about cold hard, capitalism technology & being superior..I feel that the megalomaniac villain represents THAT as well as the racial/cultural insensitivity that came with the 50's.

But no matter how you interpret WFRR it's an American masterpiece! There seems to be some controversy on what age it is appropriate for....Be warned this film IS violent loud climatic and more likely than not, will scare a young child. But if you are a parent you have to know your kid and realize what will give him or her nightmares. Having said that, even if you won't let junior watch it, that doesn't mean you, yourself can't enjoy it, the next time it comes on Encore Mystery.

There are a lot of "Judge Dooms" these days...People who are perpetually serious & full of themselves & really have NO sense of humor at all...Don't be a Judge Doom...Watch this movie!

A unique movie experience

Author: Atreyu_II from The world of artists
14 July 2007

"Who Framed Roger Rabbit" is a wonder in the art of making films. Because it mixes live-action and cartoons, it was a challenge to be made. But that's exactly what makes it so distinguish and unique, especially considering that the idea works out so well. It's a different and original movie experience, a real winner.

Yet, the film is more than a combination of live-action and cartoons. It has a dark atmosphere with lots of suspense, almost like a thriller. Classic humor isn't forgotten either, with numerous funny lines and hysterical gags, as well as humorous characters. The joke about «uncle Thumper» is one of the funniest, but there are many others. There's also a hilarious piano acting with Donald Duck and Daffy Duck, which they play the same piano song as in Tom & Jerry's short "The Cat Concerto" and have their hilariously silly battle. In fact, the soundtrack of the movie is excellent, including Jessica Rabbit's song "Why don't you do right?" and a suspense music very similar to one from the original "Back to the Future".

Other movies that successfully mix live-action and cartoons are "Mary Poppins", "Pete's Dragon" and "Bedknobs and Broomsticks". Like "Who Framed Roger Rabbit", those three movies combine this "marriage" very well. On the other hand, other movies such as "Space Jam" tried this idea but without the same success.

I believe that this movie was made in a unique moment of inspiration. The sceneries are great, the designs, the cartoons, the backgrounds, the details, the animation, the special effects, the artwork... everything was carefully made and I much welcome that. This is one of the greatest Disney films.

Great actors make the difference too. Bob Hoskins is English but speaks with an excellent American accent, not to mention that he does the amazing thing of acting against the air. Joanna Cassidy, Charles Fleischer, Alan Tilvern, Stubby Kaye, Cristopher Lloyd and Kathleen Turner are awesome too. Kathleen Turner is the voice of Jessica Rabbit, with that sexy and sensual voice. And... guess what! Even the singer Frank Sinatra has a minor role in this film as the hilarious but useless Singing Sword. Even without looking at the credits, who wouldn't recognize that great voice? Frank Sinatra's voice is just as recognizable as Nat King Cole's or Sterling Holloway's.

As for the characters, the weasels are a perfect example of chronical stupidity. They're humorous because they're always laughing, even though they know what happens to someone who can't stop laughing.

Marvin Acme is «the king of the jokes», always humorous and cheerful and at his funniest with his mythical hand-buzzer. Angelo is an idiot, drunk and greedy guy, but funny at the same time. Dolores is a great character. R. K. Maroon is an interesting character with half a dark side and half a good side. Judge Doom is a great villain, humorous, mysterious and somewhat sinister. Roger Rabbit is hilarious and very jolly - that's his only purpose as a cartoon, like he says himself. Jessica Rabbit is a very sexy cartoon, one of the most beautiful and sexiest ever - she's not bad, she's just drawn that way. Benny the Cab is funny. Baby Herman is a bit annoying - he might look innocent at first, but he is extremely rude and he loves to woo women. Eddie Valiant is another great character - grumpy, serious and funny sometimes. And he looks very much like my godfather in appearance.

The movie takes place in Hollywood, 1947. It does recreate the 40's very well. That influence is notorious in many ways, including the cars used.

Before finishing, let me say that I like rabbits very much. They're adorable and very cute animals, although in the cartoons they aren't as cute - but they're usually funny in cartoons.

This should definitely be on Top 250.

An Immense Cinamatic Feast for the Eyes, The Ears, The Heart and the Funnybone! We've Not Seen Its Likes Before!

Author: John T. Ryan (redryan64@hotmail.com) from United States
30 August 2007

Bobs Hoskins,Christopher Lloyd,Joanna Cassidy,CharlesFleischer, Stubby Kaye,Alan Tilvern and a super multitude of Voice Actors, Artists and Technicians.Directed by Robert Zemeckis

Lord! What a crazy premise for a film!

When we were kids, we often asked some of the most outlandish questions, like: Who's stronger, Superman or Captain Marvel? Who'd win in a fight, King Kong or Mighty Joe Young? Did Adam and Eve have Belly Buttons? Kids don't realize that different characters belong to different companies and couldn't and wouldn't appear together, or would they?

Director Zemeckis, Author Gary K. Wolf and the immense crew, all try to ask and answer a similarly "impossible" situational occurrence. Just what if all of Hollywood's animated Cartoon characters were really live creatures called "Toons", and what would happen if they had scandals like their human counterparts?

Our old suspension of disbelief is supposed to bring us to a Post World War II Hollywood, where we find that the animated cartoon characters that we know from the local movie house, are really living, breathing creatures! Well, after e see the opening, Director Robert Zemeckis has us won over to his side.

Private Investigator, Eddie Valiant, is summoned by Movie Mogul R.K. Maroon to his Studio to take a job. Because the subject of the case is their Star Cartoon Character, Roger Rabbit, the Detective balks at accepting the assignment because, "I don't work for Toons!"(A Toon being one of these "living" cartoon characters.)

The economic situation at The Valiant Detective Agency dictates otherwise and Eddie is off. The Game's afoot!

As the story unfolds we learn of previous happenings in Valiant's life. We find out that his brother and partner in the Private I business was killed by a Toon in Toon Town, apparently the name for their section of Hollywood/L.A.

The story unfolds like an artichoke, revealing a secretive world of crime, illicit sex and political corruption that would be the envy of Dashiel Hammett's Sam Spade, Raymond Chandler's Phillip Marlowe or the Robert Towne/Roman Polanski collaboration on CHINATOWN(1974).

Like the meandering of a great river, the plot twists and turns wherein we finally have the answer to the Roger Rabbit's accused whodunnit, but also to the killing of Eddie Valiant's brother, who was_______________! No, that would definitely be a spoiler!

The film succeeds on several levels. Obviously it is a great animated feature, and one surely unlike any that have gone before. Chances are there will be other efforts (like the very enjoyable Warner Brother/Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies production of SPACE JAM(1996)starring Michael Jordan, Wayne Knight, Bill Murray, Charles Barkley, Bugs Bunny, Elmer Fudd, Sylvester, Tweety, Taz Devil, Foghorn Leghorn, et al......)

It is also a very good spoof of the Hard Boiled Detective story or even the Film Noir genre that had gotten so popular during and (especially) after World War II. The sets, the costuming, hair styles,the fashions and the vintage autos made it very much of a period piece.

So, no matter what, this WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT? was nothing special, I mean there's no deep meaning, no symbolism, no message-right? Well, I'm not so sure. Please, indulge me and check out what follows.

Well, to begin with Eddie Valiant expresses a deep dislike for this certain group, these TOONS. His brother was killed by a TOON. The two brothers had been cops in TOON TOWN. And when the mention was made of that INK AND PAINT Club, followed by the caveat,"Humans Only!"

Now, can you think of any real life situation that would put you to thinking about this situation? Where did we have sections of a city that were occupied by one group but had entertainment establishments that catered to those from outsider their local community? Was there or is there still sections of a city referred to as being (Blank!)Town? Maybe it's just my overactive imagination!

But, I don't think so.

Animators' Delight

Author: skallisjr from Tampa, FL United States
20 August 2005

This film is a good entertainment, with detective Eddie Valient suffering the slings and arrows of trying to solve a crime in a town where logic goes out the window. Although I don't consider it a family film, most of the stuff that likely might concern parents would probably go over the heads of the little children watching it.

The film, though, is full of animators' in-jokes. Only someone with an historical perspective of cartoons is likely to get some of the throwaways sneaked into the film. For instance, at one point, Valiant is falling from a height in Toontown, and He's saved by being caught by a Toon woman. We first see her from the back, and we think that possibly she might be Jessica Rabbit. But then we see her face, which is Coyote ugly.

Spoilers follow: That's a funny enough sight gag, but the capper is that her face was the winning entry in a contest run by the newspaper comic strip, Li'l Abner. In that strip, there was supposed to be a woman so ugly that her face was never shown. She was Lena the Hyena. Finally, the strip ran a contest to see who could come up with the best face for her, and the result, which I seem to recall, may have been drawn by Basil Wolverton, was what you saw on the screen.

Another: near the close of the film, after the brick wall of the warehouse broke open, the first glimpse of the Toontown area we see shows trees and flowers swaying in the breeze. That view was from the first Disney color cartoon, Trees and Flowers. There are other cartoon tidbits scattered throughout the film, and they're fun to spot.

A really good film for animation historians, as well as being entertaining.

I like this movie a lot!

Author: Lady Targaryen from Brazil
1 October 2005

In 1988, movies like Shrek,Robots, Spacejam and stuff, did not exist,so,'Who Framed Roger Rabbit'was kind of an innovation for that time,showing the interaction between cartoons and humans in the 40's. I always remember 'Cool World'(1992, that is also about this type of interaction; but 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit'is much better in funnier.

I love Disney characters and Looney toons,and I also liked Jessica Rabbit as well. :) (let's be honest, she is the sexiest female cartoon ever!And much better than Holli of 'Cool World' as well.) The first time I watched this movie, I was 8 or 9 years old,and nowadays, watching it again with 19, I can say with absolutely security that is one of my favorite movies ever.:)

Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Author: alexx668
14 September 2009

This half-animation/ half-live-action tribute to the film-noir genre, crossed with the effervescent gag spirit of the old "Looney Tunes" series, is good and enjoyable, but not as good as it's reputation would suggest. At the time there was lots of bragging about the "revolutionary" mixing of animation and live-action, which is sort of mystifying, seeing as it was already done way back in the 40's with films like The Three Caballeros. Oh well, the manipulative force of the media at it again. On a side-note, Bob Hoskins is just marvelous as declined alcoholic detective Eddie Valiant, and Christopher Lloyd (of "Back to the Future" fame) fits perfectly as the paranoid Judge Doom.

One of a kind

Author: Micah (royals794) from United States
21 June 2008

I have never seen another movie like "Who Framed Roger Rabbit". Sure, there are other movies that blend animation with live action, such as "Space Jam", but no other does it as seamlessly and more importantly, as entertainingly. The movie opens with a cartoon which by itself is hysterical. What follows immediately after the cartoon is even funnier and sets the tone for the zaniness and unexpectedness of the film. The jokes and sight gags are non-stop and the actors interact so perfectly with the cartoons that Toon Town seems to be a real place. Bob Hoskins is wonderful as the down-on-his-luck private eye who ends up protecting Roger Rabbit and Christopher Lloyd is equally great (and terrifying) as the evil Judge Doom. But the movie belongs to Roger Rabbit; Charles Fleischer deserved at least an Oscar nomination for his fantastic voicing of the character. Roger Rabbit is an instant classic cartoon character and has countless hilarious lines. "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" is great for kids but even better for teenagers and adults. I know that I now enjoy it even more than I did when I saw it for the first time as a seven year old. "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" is one of the most enjoyable films ever made, and as Roger Rabbit says, perhaps describing the movie as a whole, "My whole purpose in life is to make... people... laugh!" I give this movie my highest recommendation possible to kids and adults: 10/10!

Pure Magic

Author: sherbetsaucers from United Kingdom
15 March 2007

It is a little known bit of trivia that, in the early 20th century, General Motors, Standard Oil and Firestone Tires allegedly formed the National City Lines holding company in order to purchase and then dismantle streetcar systems, replacing them with buses and increase the publics reliance on automobiles. Somehow, this tid-bit became the genesis of a movie which was a run away success at the box office, is still widely regarded as the best of its kind and created a renaissance in the way cartoons were made. It's all a little loony.

Who Framed Roger Rabit follows the story of Eddie Valiant (Bob Hoskins), a washed up P.I, and Roger Rabbit (Charles Fleischer), a cartoon rabbit. Obviously. Roger, framed for the murder of Marvin Acme (Stubby Kaye) goes to Eddie for help because, as the Rabbit says, "Everyone knows that when a toon's in trouble, there's only one place to go: Valiant & Valiant." Unfortunately there is one Valiant too many in that sentence, Eddie's brother having been killed by a toon a few years ago. So Eddie, once a happy chap, can no longer stand toons. But like so many heroes in the past his sense of morality will not let him watch an innocent rabbit take the fall, and so he and Roger set out to find out who killed Acme, as well as locate his missing will. Along the way they meet a foul-mouthed, cigar-smoking baby (Lou Hirsch), a smart-talking taxi-cab (also voiced by Fleischer) and Rogers femme fatale wife, Jessica (voiced by an uncredited Kathleen Turner). They also manage to bump into almost every animated star from the first half of the 20th century. The finale sees Eddie taking on Roger's hunters; Judge Doom (Christopher Lloyd) and his goons. We learn that Doom is actually the toon responsible for the death of Eddie's brother, but it's OK, because he dies in a particularly gruesome way in the end.

It boggles the mind just how much love and attention must have gone into the making of this movie. It has constant references to other cartoons (a Tex Avery style opening, citizens of Toontown singing 'Smile, Darn You, Smile'), references to classic movies (an invisible rabbit called 'Harvey', a Maltese Falcon hatstand) as well as a brain-melting number of cameos throughout the movie. This coupled with a huge number of in jokes - my favourite being a sign saying "Porkys: All Beef Sausages" - and you have a movie that has so many hidden gems that you could watch it a hundred times and still not have seen everything. Yet just because it is a cartoon fan-boy's dream that does not mean it is actually any good.

Luckily the quality of the animation, acting, script and direction DO mean it is good. This is the movie that finally took the crown of best combination of live action and animation from the head of Mary Poppins.. The effects are superb, each shot is one of pure quality. Lakfjsoasjfoasj doesn't cheat either, the camera constantly moves, changing the perspective of the animated characters, yet they still hold up perfectly. The live action characters are also a joy. Hoskins plays the part of the gumshoe perfectly, and his cartoonish movements and actions at the end of the film are superb. Lloyd has a field day. An actor who very few would ever accuse of being unafraid to go over the top, here he gets to actually play a live action cartoon, and every moment he is on screen is wonderful. Joanna Cassidy, as Hoskins' love interest Doloris is also fantastic, getting to play the kind of smart talking character made so famous by Mae West all those years ago.

Yet the real stars all all of the characters we love from our childhood. Here on screen are creations from Disney, Warner Brothers and MGM. Highlights for me include the fantastic Donald and Daffy duelling pianos scene, Droopy Dog, whom I adore, and Mae Questel actually voicing Betty Boop. Even as a child in the cinema I was so happy to see both the Warner Brothers ending (Tha-tha-tha-tha that's all folks!) and the Disney Ending (Tinker Bell the fairy) together on screen.

A movie that can appeal to all members of the family, except possiably late teens who take themselves FAR too seriously (an original screen test of 18-19 year olds saw most of the audience walk out) this is a truly masterful film, and one that is yet to be bettered despite todays far superior technology.

An Animation Fan's Dream

Author: travisimo from Pocatello, Idaho, USA
6 March 2004

For anyone who grew up watching cartoons (I can't imagine anyone who didn't!), this movie is perfect for you! If anything, it is just amazing to see the unprecedented collaboration between Disney, Warner Brothers, and Tex Avery. Like the geek I am, I squealed with delight when Donald and Daffy duked it out in a piano duel and when I saw the memorable skydiving scene with Mickey and Bugs. It was also fantastic to see other animation legends, like Droopy and Betty Boop.

I enjoyed this movie a lot when I was a kid (even though the villain, Judge Doom, scared me a little). As for the adult jokes and innuendoes, they just flew over my head at that time. I just laughed at the baby because he smoked and talked like an adult. Only until I watch it now that I'm delightfully shocked at the adult humor involved. It is a movie that appeals to the older set with its classic characters and modern humor, but kids can still enjoy it by seeing some of their favorite characters.

As for the work that went into this movie, I just find it amazing. Bob Hoskins, in particular, deserved an Oscar just for the degree of difficulty he took in the role of Eddie Valiant. Not only did he have to disguise his thick British accent, but also he had to act with invisible characters and make it all look realistic. And what a job he did! As a viewer, you are immersed in this world where people and toons come together. You get so caught up in the storyline and the characters that you don't really take a step back and think that this is just impossible.

The actors, the puppeteers, the animators, the directors, and countless other staff members just did a phenomenal job with this movie. It is truly one-of-a-kind, and I don't think we'll see anything quite like this again. Sure, there's been "Space Jam" and "Looney Tunes: Back in Action," but I don't think those movies come close to the innovation and memorable storytelling that "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" achieved. Kudos to everyone involved in this picture. Hopefully someday they can all get together again. I think I speak for many people when I say that we're eager to go back to Toontown!

My IMDb Rating: 10/10. My Yahoo! Grade: A+ (Oscar-Worthy)

What can I say?

Author: abyoussef from Alameda, CA
3 March 2004

by Dane Youssef

Gee... What can I say?

What can be said that hasn't been said a zillion times about this movie before? By film critics, film buffs, the other user posters on IMDb and every other person who saw this one?

But you know what? I'm not here to really promote this movie, or analyze it... I'm here to write my love letter for it. We're all here to share our movie-going experiences, aren't we? Well, f*ck it, here's mine.

I still remember being a little prepubescent boy sitting in the theater watching this movie, totally amazed and astounded by what I saw. Seeing this wacky cartoons going through a routine Tom-and-Jerry-type episode... and then... it was amazing how these movie actually tricked you, convinced you to believe that human and cartoons can exist in the same universe and dimension of reality.

There are many a great pleasures and moments in this movie, one of them is the duet at a "toon" night club called "The Ink & Paint Club" where Eddie goes to get information about Roger's wife, and the opening act is a dueling duet on the piano featuring two great legends, Daffy Duck and Donald Duck (I doubt there's any biological relation there) together at last. Why did it take so long for these two to get together? Well, they are rival entertainers for rival studios, so...

But of course, the dueling duet ends in an all-out war. Come on, we both know the hatchet wasn't going to stay buried very long.

The whole movie is worth renting just to see the two great legends, Daffy and Donald, put their differences aside for one memorable dueling piano duet ALONE.

"Roger Rabbit" pioneered not only animation and film-making style, but acting, writing, directing and a meshing together of different genres.

Imagination, luck, brilliance, skill... it's all been blended so perfectly here... just like the animation and live-action.

Funny, sharp, satirical, smart, thrilling, skillful, bright, bold, hard-boiled, colorful... at even at times, a little scary.

It one three Oscars, not to mention an Honorary Award for it's Technical Advancements.

Hell, it deserved every single Oscar it got! And a few it didn't. It should've won every single Oscar that year. Maybe some from others...

God, you know, I still remember finding my little Rescue Ranger toy in my pocket and running in back-and-forth through my fingers... I remember being very careful not to loose it as I watched this. And it was hard, damn it, all of what was going up there on the screen.

There's the best of the everything here. Everyone should see it, pure and simple. It's a movie... for pretty much everybody. A masterpiece in more ways than one.

So help me God, I cannot think of a better actor for the role of the classic, hard-boiled, rock-bottom, not-too-smooth P.I. than Bob Hoskins. I don't think he's ever played a better role in his whole life. He seems to be a strange collision of Sam Spade and W.C. Fields, in some strange way.

Christopher Lloyd proves yet again (as he does in all his roles) that he's one of the most underrated actors in the business. He's known for playing the bizarre, the crazy, the wired. But his ability to play villains, particularly more sedate and low-key ones, is overlooked so much, it's grounds for a discrimination lawsuit.

Kathleen Turner is damn perfect as Roger's Mrs; especially considering that all she does here is a voice.

Roger Rabbit" pioneered not only animation and film-making style, but acting, writing, directing and a meshing together of different genres. Literature purists and scholars (yes, I mean geeks) will note that this movie is adapted from a novel by Gary K. Wolf, who specializes in science-fiction.

For those of you who are enamored with this movie and just learning this, are actively considering dropping this review right this instant and running to your nearest library and bookstore to pick up a copy to read as an addition to the movie or just out of curiosity, I should warn you that the movie is completely unfaithful to the novel.

Oh, both are clever and well-written spoofs of the whole "hard-boiled private-detective mystery noir genre," but the two are so completely different, in writing-style, character dialouge, plot, theme, even ending, you wonder why they even bothered to get Wolf's permission and pay him a royalty. Gee, usually these Hollywood types are a little more snaky and know how to exploit all these loopholes.

You've no doubt heard the old saying, "You can't please everyone, so don't even bother." Because when you try, you wind up ultimately pleasing no one. Least of all, yourself. It's strange, this movie seems like an exception to that one little rule. I mean, I know there's an exception to every rule, but this is one you're sure is completely iron-clad. This is a movie for everyone. This is a movie that will please everyone. And you know what else? It never got the credit for that. Think about what a big train-wreck this movie could have been. How many things could have gone wrong.

How many years Disney and Warner have been at war, all this time, money for a experiment that could have gone worse than than the killer bees and the atomic bomb. And yet, glory be, it didn't. We all live for days like this, filmmakers, film critics... and film lovers.

The best part? After it was all over... Roger and Baby Herman went on to star in several of their own cartoon shorts before the movie for real ("Dick Tracy" and "Honey, I Shrunk The Kids").

Good for them.