IMDb > Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 23:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Nothing short of miraculous

Author: La Gremlin from Boston, MA
2 March 2001

Stop and think about this movie for a minute, and you realize that we are unbelievably fortunate that it even exists.

Think about all the different cartoon characters who have cameos here. Think about how their respective owners had to put aside decades of competing against each other for gags that would last a few seconds of screen time. Realise that, before this movie, the idea of combining fully rendered animated characters with live action footage was considered impossible. And how the hell do you market a movie that includes both murder plots and fuzzy little cartoons?

This movie is a miracle.

I absolutely loved it as a kid, and although parts of it flew over my head I really did not care. I did know that this is what animation can do when all the "rules" are totally ignored. And why shouldn't they be?

Now, as an adult, I appreciate "Roger Rabbit" for its gutsyness. There is absolutely *nothing* like this anywhere. It gets a solid Ten.

"Who framed Roger Rabbit" is a classic

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
8 February 2004

I was a little surprised that "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" wasn't on the top 250. Almost everyone loves this film. It was a major breakthrough for movies. The cartoon world meets reality.

Bob Haskins is to die for in this film, he plays such a great American detective and he didn't have much to work with. After all when he was talking to Roger, he wasn't really talking to anybody since it was a cartoon character. I love the way he develops his role so much, how he goes from this stick-to-the-book and all cartoons are bad to this lovable goofy guy due to Roger's insatiable love for life and cartoons. It's silly because it's a cartoon, but Roger and Bob clicked so well and are unforgettable.

Christopher Lloyd... shudder! This guy gave me so many nightmares as a kid from his character as the judge. The ending where he reveals his true form, he is just terrifying and effective. Jessica Rabbit is so cool and sexy for a cartoon. She's just too much fun for this movie and is wonderful as a cartoon. "I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way". My favorite scene is without a doubt when Eddie(played by Bob) is looking for Jessica and meets the crazy look-a-like in Toon Town. Just great and hilarious.

Come on, fans! This is a terrific movie and deserves to be on the top 250 films of all time! It's a break through for cinema history and movies in general. It's a great one! I'd highly recommend this for the family and friends or just a Saturday with nothing to do.

A film Classic like no other

Author: rogerebert from Ridgefield Wa
1 August 2001

To make a great classic film i think it has to work on several different levels and this one not only plays on many different levels It scores tremendously.

It is a great childrens movie. With zany classic characters such as Roger, the Weasles, and Benny the Cab. They are original crazy and fun. Also it is a mystery. It plays perfectly as one of those Old 50's detective stories. It is a milestone in film making. The scenes of the "toons" and humans sharing a world is great. I think the best scene as special effects go, is the one where Eddie and Roger are handcuffed together in his office. It looks so real!!!!! This movie is fun and creative and will go down in movie history. I don't know what else to say it is simply the best.

Also do your self a favor and steer clear of the bad rip off Cool World.

Great fun for kids and adults alike.

Author: Joonas Linkola from Finland
9 January 2000

I'm a fan of both cartoons and film noir movies, and so Who Framed Roger Rabbit was a great experience to me. Set in the 1940's, in a shadowy atmosphere reminiscent of Bogart classics such as The Maltese Falcon, the movie blends in cartoon characters and live actors almost seamlessly. For me, one of the most interesting aspects of the movie was seeing Disney and Warner Bros cartoon characters in the same scenes - for the first time in film history, I believe. Who could forget the piano duel of Donald and Daffy? The live actors were a bit theatrical and over-dramatic at times, but not to an extent that would have made the film unbearable or bad. The cartoon characters saved a lot, too.

Fast-paced, entertaining film that can be viewed by anyone. I liked it very much.

It's a...deadly...serious...business!

Author: Prof_Lostiswitz from Cyberia
17 January 2004

Watching this for the umpteenth time, I am struck by how much this movie resembles Brazil (1985). What, you will say, that was a grim and serious story set in a horrible dystopia. Ah, yes, but one of its main satirical weapons was its over-the-top humour.

Well, Roger Rabbit inverts the formula. We seem to have a zany cartoon comedy. but underlying this is a story about racism and genocide. The cartoon characters, who coexist with humans, are shown as a tolerated subordinated race, good for "singing and dancing and running and jumping". They are called "Toons", which resembles another epithet that used to be a nasty name for black people. And the "solution" is exactly that - a solution of benzene and acetone that will exterminate the Toons by dissolving them.

Both movies are set in something that resembles the 1940's, which gives lots of opportunity for spoofing films noir of the sort that Bogart et al. used to make.

How could something so serious be funny? The best comedy is just a hare's breadth (sorry, couldn't resist) removed from tragedy, which is why Hogan's Heroes is so funny while Disney comedies fall flat from gooey sentiment. Kids love Roger Rabbit, and that should be the ultimate test of whether it's comic or not.

It still amazes me how many grown-ups fail to perceive the underlying message of tolerance and understanding. Perhaps they don't want to...

One of the best of all time

Author: Phillip Detweiler from Newburgh, NY
12 November 2004

When this original movie was conceived and released in 1988, it was seen as a movie for the kids, but it soon found its way into the hearts of moviegoers everywhere. This was a landmark movie, cementing skills from all areas of Hollywood, from the budding special effects industry, to the acting skills of Bob Hoskins, to the SUPERB directing skills of Robert Zemeckis, to create one of the most impressive movies in Hollywood.

While this movie was not the first of it's kind, it was definitely the first to have cartoons and real actors interact so seamlessly, and it is impressive that it was made over 15 years ago. Another impressive part of this movie is the soundtrack, using the classic 20's jazz song "Why Don't You Do Right?" to bring back the old jazz club scene, to make for a truly authentic feel from a cartoon character, as well as the detective music used all originally composed. All around, this movie is one that I Grew up with, and children and adults will be enjoying for decades to come, because Who Framed Roger Rabbit will be a classic in the movie world for a long long time.

The best family film of the 80's

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
31 July 2000

I say this film is a family film because that is what it is. Anyone in the family will like it. It pitches it's animated rabbit to the kids, and for the teens and adults, they can look for humor in other things. The plot is a complicated one (like most detective mysteries) that brings a drunken detective back to the detective game of cartoons. Sometimes funny, sometimes compassionate, always entertaining. With director Zemeckis bringing one of the best animated films in a film that is half live action/half animated. It is a landmark in visual effects and nothing like this will ever come around again. A+

Boy, this is something I'll treasure and remember always.

Author: au_law2001 from Philippines
7 January 2005

Oh, this is the first movie I've seen to have live characters and cartoons come together, maybe not for the first time, I've seen Jerry dance with Gene Kelly once, but that's another movie! Anyways this was my childhood favorite and perhaps an all time, and will always be a favorite to me. Every time I watch there is a magic moment, that the cartoons we all loved as kids are still the best today, even though we are into computer animation, Batman, X-Men, or anime, we can never say we hate those old Looney Toons or Disney shows. And the antics and jokes and gags and gimmicks they did will always remain the funniest, even though we dig jokes from Saturday Night Live or sex jokes these days. This is also the first time I've seen Disney and Warner cartoons for the first time! And not to mention Betty Boop and Droopy! Overall, this is the best animated and live movie the whole family can enjoy, and fans of the old cartoons will love. Recommended to all fans of cartoons of the golden years of Disney and Warner. Thank you Disney, thank you Warner. And if liked this, I recommend you play the video game Kingdom Hearts, this time it's Final Fantasy/Squaresoft and Disney together! >>>> 10/10

technical marvel and a great comedy

Author: goya-4 from pa usa
10 December 2000

Who Framed Roger Rabbit is one of the zaniest and smartest movies to come out in a long time..Directed by Robert Zemeckis who later did Forrest Gump and Castaway among others, it stars Bob Hoskins as a washed up private eye in the 50s who gets dragged into a murder investigation in Toonland to help unravel a mystery and prove the innocence of a toon Roger Rabbit.

One of the real treats of the movie is Kathleen Turner who does the voice of Jessica Rabbit..She is a perfect choice with that sexy sultry voice. The movie is great fun for the whole family..there is a little innuendo but like Jessica says.."I'm not bad..I'm just drawn that way"

A real treat! Holds the record for most credits at the end of a movie (937!) On a scale of one to ten... 9

The Best Film Produced in 1988

Author: tfrizzell from United States
1 August 2000

"Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" appears to be a film for the kiddies on first glance, but this is a somewhat complicated murder mystery that never gets old or dull. The animated title character has been framed and now he is out to clear his name with the help of a human detective (Bob Hoskins). Robert Zemeckis cemented his ability to make a film with this winner. The special effects, which are remarkable, never detract from the story and in the end they add a great dimension to this fine motion picture. Overlooked in 1988, but the best film from that weak year. 5 stars out of 5.

Page 1 of 23:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]