IMDb > Tucker: The Man and His Dream (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Excellent But Frustrating Story

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
20 January 2007

Boy, what a frustrating film to watch....even though it is very good and has been a part of my collection for a number of years now. Still, it's hard to see the good guy, the little guy, beaten up by the big guys. Here's one story where Goliath beats David.

Anyway, this was an interesting supposedly- true-life story of how Preston Tucker got a raw deal form the Big Three car-makers of the day, and by the government after he built a much better automobile in 1948. The film details how the big boys made sure Tucker's company never sold any of those cars.

As mentioned, it's maddening to watch at times, to hear lies and false charges brought against a man who had the right ideas about car safety and engineering and was way ahead of his time.

The 1940s atmosphere in this film is very good and the old music is fun to hear, too. The cinematography is great, too, with some tinted vintage-type color at times. It looks wonderful on DVD.

The car is super to look at and admire. Jeff Bridges does a solid job of portraying Tucker, an upbeat, positive-thinking inventor. It also was refreshing to see a nice, supportive family, too. I enjoyed all the main actors in this film: Bridges, Joan Alen, Martin Landau, Frederic Forest, Elias Koteas and Christian Slater

Gutsy, smart, way ahead of the curve

Author: tmchesser from Kansas City, MO
25 September 2004

It's been a while since I saw this movie, and I was already acquainted with they story when I realized they'd made a movie about it. The movie lives up to the reality.

No question, Preston Tucker was brilliant. When Uncle Sam requested designs for combat vehicles, he submitted, and demonstrated, a design which significantly blew away all competitors. He was turned down because his design significantly outperformed what Uncle Sam asked for. Small-minded individuals, mired in the relatively wimpy requirements, wouldn't take the more advanced design. It boggled his mind that they would turn down "steak with all the trimmings" in exchange for a "plain hamburger." I've been in the Military, so it doesn't surprise me.

When he wanted to make a point about safety, emphasizing the need for safety glass and seatbelts (which were NOT standard equipment at the time), he invited the appropriate people to lunch, served medium-rare roast beef, then showed pictures of people who'd died in car accidents. Lots of blood, lots of "raw meat." My driver's education teacher, trying to convince us to be safer drivers, did the same (minus the fancy lunch). Anyway, the similarities between what they saw on the screen, and what they'd just eaten, caused many of them to be "re-acquainted" with their lunch. I sincerely doubt they ever forgot the presentation, and his point was very well made.

I like this guy. He's whip-smart, practical, maybe a little too optimistic.

I identify with him.

And they broke him.

Welcome to reality. Bites, doesn't it?

In the end, he knows he's beaten, but he still gets the last word in. I hope I manage to do so well.

This movie has style

Author: Ryan from Houston, Texas
28 December 1998

Every decade has a style. The 1940's after the war had a very slick style. This movie has plenty of this slick style. The music is some of the best swing and the camera work and some of the way shots are framed is excellent. You can't look past the acting either. Everybody plays their part to the fullest and there is a wonderful cameo by the late Lloyd Bridges as a dirty politician. If you like cars, rent this movie. If you like the 40's, rent this movie. If you like good movies, rent this movie. This is one of the most underrated movies in the last 15 years.

This is one not to be missed.

Author: (rhoughton@iprimus.com.au) from Melbourne Australia
21 May 2001

Thus is a superb movie. Firstly, the story line is just great. The true story of a man who fights against all the odds to realize his dream. Secondly, it's hard to imagine a better cast. They do an extraordinary job in bringing to life all the wonderful characters involved. Jeff Bridges is perfect as Tucker, and Landau is brilliant as the money man. But what really makes this work, is the way Tucker's undying spirit is brought out. He seems to lose the battle of making cars, but wins the ultimate battle of fulfilling himself and keeping his integrity. {"They're only machines, the idea's the important thing."] Over the years, I have collected many hundreds of movies, but this one has to be in the top ten. By the way, I just loved the music sound track. Very 40's.

TUCKER--What a historical film should be.

Author: Jason C. Atwood from Suffolk, Virginia
17 January 1999

Impressive styling of the 1940s era and fine direction from Francis Coppola, whose middle name is Ford (ha!), makes TUCKER a historical tribute to the revolutionary, all-too-superior "car of tomorrow" that never was destined to bury the Big Three. It's not an entire biography of his life, but an account of triumphs and trials in his short-lived business. Jeff Bridges' character he portrays is a cheerful, mind-mannered guy who dreamed of making these autos since his childhood. There's plenty to like in this nostalgic trip, as this was made in a genuine vintage style. The opening best compares to a true classic sales promo, an indication of brilliant film work. Joe Jackson's cool 40s tunes he composed are extremely well made, although they get in the way sometimes. Drive on over to the video mart and check this selection out! Perhaps if we all had a Tucker....

An interesting look into some American automotive history.

Author: Steve Richmond (sfwr@earthlink.net) from Brea, Ca. USA
12 November 1998

Preston Tucker was a man with a dream. He actually advertised his new car and even took advanced orders for it. But the truth is that there was never a chance that Tucker would ever be able to deliver on his promises. Jeff Bridges plays the would be automotive tycoon with an Oscar going to his co-star Martin Landau for his portrayal of "Abe" Tucker's business manager. You will enjoy seeing most all of the remaining Tuckers in this film. This is a good film and I recommend it.

The magic of dreams

Author: ashwin_maverick from India
7 December 2006

A beautiful film which captures the spirit of a man's struggle to make his dream come true. Jeff Bridges is invincible in the role of Preston Tucker and effortlessly pulls the viewer inside the mind and spirit of this maverick entrepreneur who brought to the automotive industry seat belts, fuel injection, pop-out windows and most of all a legend called the Tucker Torpedo.

Acting just oozes out of this fine actor and id consider it as his best performance ever. Excellent direction,screenplay and soundtrack. great duologue's too. especially "can any one in this room look me in the eye and say we cant do it" and on hearings a non-affirmative he replies "except you".

The courtroom speech is something which recharges your spirit and fills your body with passion. Very true as he puts it " fifty or fifty million...thats only machinery..its the idea that counts..the dream.."

Tucker: The Man and His Dream

Author: Tim Cox from Marietta, OH
17 June 1999

Underrated film about dreams and desire in the mind of Preston Tucker as he looked to create the car of the future. He faced hardship and defeat at the hands of politicians and other automakers. (Namely the Big Three) Bridges delivers Tucker with great heart and devotion while Landau (Oscar nominee) stands out as Tucker's friend and partner. Dean Stockwell makes a small cameo as Howard Hughes.

Coppola proves he's still at the top of his game

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
19 March 2006

Overlooked yet highly entertaining drama from director Francis Ford Coppola and producer George Lucas, an amusing and nostalgic look at real-life idea man Preston Tucker who, in 1945, developed the Car of Tomorrow and hoped to put Detroit's auto business out of commission. A smart, knowing take on the past, a nice comeback from Coppola but one that did little business. The film has gleaming photography, a jaunty pace and a great cast. Jeff Bridges, not the most subtle actor, gives one of his finest performances in the lead. Supporting cast is made up of pros (Martin Landau, Frederic Forrest, Dean Stockwell) and fresh new talent (circa 1988) such as Joan Allen and the incredible Elias Koteas. *** from ****

A nearly perfect movie

Author: Idocamstuf from Greenville, NY
8 May 2003

The first time I saw this movie was in an Intro To Occupations class, I really enjoyed it that time, and when it came on TV, I taped it because I liked it so much. Jeff Bridges deserved an oscar nomination for his outstanding performance as the determined Preston Tucker who has a dream to built a car, we get to see his progress, and dissapointments in the process. A nice supporting cast also livens the movie up even more. This is an extrememly memorable film with excellent performances and direction. This is a film that more people should see. ***1/2 out of ****.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]