Torch Song Trilogy (1988) Poster

Excellent, superb film - in its genre
Meredith P. (Etoile)15 March 1999
I absolutely love this movie. It certainly was created for gay men, but as a lesbian, I feel a kinship with other gay people, and I believe this is an excellent movie. The depiction of female impersonators is genuine, and doesn't give the false glamourpuss view that probably causes many outsiders to think all drag queens are just like RuPaul (nothing against her, she's a diva, but not everyone has so much money!). The portrayal of a relationship involving one gay person and one bisexual person is also beautifully realistic. Ann Bancroft's performance as the Ma is stunning. I believe this movie would also appeal to open-minded heterosexuals who may not have too much involvement with our culture, as it depicts a grittier side of life than the commonly-seen rich gay boy lifestyle. (Movie viewers with an eye toward the cinematography of films will also enjoy the artistry presented here.)
28 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Powerful, Touching, Emotional, A Must See
Chris C.-310 March 1999
Harvey Fierstein, Anne Bancroft, Matthew Broderick and Brian Kerwin combine in a bitter-sweet comedy-drama set in the 1970's, concluding in 1980. The "Trilogy" is a collection of 3 specific pieces blended together telling the saga of Arnold Beckoff (Fierstein). The story revolves around love, relationships and family - something everyone can relate to. It was a movie before its time when it premiered in 1988. It is straight-forward and to the point. It will make you laugh and cry and understand the true meaning of love and respect. Harvey Fierstein & Anne Bancroft (Arnold's Mother) are outstanding in their roles! A must see for anyone trying to understand the complexity of love, with themselves, significant others and their family. A well-done adaption to the screen from theatre. Add this video to your collection! "I love you...enough."
26 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Preaching to the Converted, but How Sweet it Is
Phatima20 September 1998
TST is like Harvey Fierstein himself: you love it or you loathe it; I love it. Preachy and heavy-handed as "Torch" is at times, it's also a brilliant, hilarious, and truly heartfelt look at how gay men love each other and their families. Arnold Beckoff, like Harvey, apologizes to no one for who and what he his, and his pride is infectious. And Matthew Broderick, as Arnold's model lover, has never been more appealing.
24 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wonderfully deep
sibie15 July 2002
This film is very deep and superbly acted. It requires a viewer with a heart, but once you got that working you will surely fall into this touching drama. What is most appealing about this film is its realism and the fact that scenes of heartfelt drama are followed by light hearted humour, leading one easily through this well designed
18 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
*THE* quintessential gay film
owenblacker29 January 1999
This film is, undoubtedly, *the* quintessential gay film.

If you even claim to know gay people you should see this film. I used to help run a youth group for under 25s dealing with their sexuality and we screened this film four times in two years.

I have seen this film more times than almost any other film and it still never fails to move me. Take your Kleenex, this'll make you cry! :o)

17 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A great movie from a wonderful play
aquanaut3 November 2000
Torch Song Trilogy is so called because its acts were originally presented one-by-one, months apart, at the off-Broadway La Mama Theater. It is done with a sparse set and few props, letting the incredibly funny, amazingly touching script fuel the play.

The movie version is done much more realistically, and it works! Things that are merely discussed in the play are shown to viewers. The cast is wonderfully realistic (Brian Kerwin is a bit stiff, but it works for the character of Ed.) and the script is just as good as the stage play. So many books and plays are adapted into something that is barely recognizable, but Fierstein makes his own script into something even more special.

The story benefits from the larger scope allowed by the movie.

We get to SEE the drag club, the bars, Arnold's (bunny-motif) apartment, Ed's country house and other locations merely hinted at in the play. The scenes that take place during and after the visit to the country house are somewhat confusing on stage, performed in a huge bed, but are beautifully edited in the movie. Best of all is Arnold's best friend, Murray, only talked about in the stage production. But in the movie, he's brought to magnificent life by Ken Page, filling the screen with his usual warmth and wit.

Harvey Fierstein has said that he hopes TST is like an Indian dress, made beautiful by all the little mirrors that decorate it. And truly, it is seeing and hearing *ourselves* that makes this script sparkle. You don't have to be a female impersonator to understand love and loss and laughter. This is NOT just a movie for gay men.
16 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Harvey Fierstein's brilliant depiction of gay life in the late seventies
armstrongd20 March 2000
A touching portrayal of the difficulties involved in family relationships among gays. Noteworthy performances by Fierstein, Broderick and Bancroft. Lotsa laughs and tears. An underground film that deserves more attention. Daring and disturbing, this film examines the trying reality of being rejected by family, friends and co-workers for no other reason than homosexuality.
13 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Best gay film ever made
laura21 December 2004
Watching this many years after I originally saw the film, one thing I notice is how so many of Firstein's one liners have become common statements. This wasn't cliché: Firstein himself wrote many of the comments that now are commonly held as gospel for queer people everywhere. My favourite scene is the last one, the beautifully scripted showdown between Firstein's Arnold, and Ann Bancroft's Ma. Bancroft is so well cast as Ma - the tiredness, the lack of understanding - such a human picture. Thats what makes this picture so special - all characters are human. Even Allan, far from being perfect, is not quite perfect.

My other favourite scene in this film is the lovely seduction of Arnold by Ed to the tunes of Rod Stewart. In fact every time I hear the song "Maggie" I think of this scene with Arnold's nervousness and bashful coyness. And I saw in the DVD edition that the street where Broderick's Alan is beaten to death was also one where the unprovoked murder of gay people is a reality - this makes the last part of the ambulance scene where Arnold is barely able to walk after seeing Alan's bloodied body, almost real.

I think this is the best gay file ever made. It is certainly dated, with the corporate imposed restrictions on the showing of gayness, but the story is so beautifully crafted. You realise how pathetic commercial fests aimed at straight people like "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" is after seeing this: the message Harvey Firstein wrote in 1983 is still relevant today.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I knew there was a reason I bought this title...
antares7417 March 2001
I watched this movie (about 9 years ago -- in secret no less, while my parents were away) as a budding young gay man. I didn't quite catch much of the humor then, but something has compelled me to pick the title off the shelf once more. This is a truly outstanding movie; the characters are wonderful -- they will make you shed a tear or two or otherwise double over in laughter. I won't bore you with the plot synopsis or *my* take on it, just see it. It's truly one terrific film.

Sidebar: It just hit me this time around that I am the reincarnation of Arnold Beckoff...and I'm not even Jewish! Oi! =)
26 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent adaptation of the plays
dwr24617 February 2005
The movie exhibits the same careful story telling as the play, which should come as no surprise, considering that Harvey Fierstein wrote the screenplay. It is an uncompromisingly honest - and occasionally brutal - portrait of a New York drag queen. And it is told as only Harvey Fierstein can tell it.

Our first introduction to Arnold Beckoff (Benji Schulman in this scene) is his mother finding him in her closet at age six, wearing her clothes and make-up. This sets the tone for their relationship throughout the movie, as Arnold (Harvey Fierstein) and his mother (Anne Bancroft) have a wonderfully portrayed love-hate relationship throughout the film. The movie follows a grown-up Arnold through the major relationships in his life: Ed (Brian Kerwin), a closeted school teacher who leaves Arnold to marry a woman; Alan (Matthew Broderick, graduating from the role of David in the stage play), a model who loves Arnold as much as Arnold loves him, but who is murdered by bat-wielding thugs; David (Eddie Castrodad), the son Arnold adopts following Alan's death; and ultimately Arnold's mother, with whom he attempts to have an honest relationship despite her openly disapproval of him. Things come to a head with his mother during a visit to the cemetery where she cruelly berates Arnold for praying over Alan's grave, telling him that he has no right to compare his "playing around with a little boy," to her "thirty-five year marriage." Arnold's response to her ultimately becomes the catalyst through which they work out their differences.

Fierstein's desire for integrity in his story is apparent throughout the movie. The script neither shies away from, nor pretties up difficult issues. The characters are fully developed, and each acts from an internal logic that is readily understandable to the viewer, whether or not we agree with their choices. The humor doesn't take away from the seriousness of the themes covered, but rather serves as a contrast to highlight them.

The acting is exemplary. Fierstein is brilliant as Arnold, but then, he had plenty of practice. Anne Bancroft gives an edgy performance as a mother who wants to love her son, but has trouble accepting him for what he is. In spite of her unforgivable cruelty to her son in the graveyard, you do forgive her when she tells Arnold, "You shut me out of your life and then blamed me for not being there!" She then goes on to share her own wisdom on loss with him, healing the breach for once and all. Matthew Broderick gives a wonderful performance in a part with little screen time, but huge impact. His portrayal of Alan's love for Arnold is real, and as satisfying a romance as one could want to see on the big screen. Brian Kerwin plays Ed's confusion to perfection.

This movie was among the first to offer up gay characters who are honest and unashamed about their sexuality. That alone would make it a must see, but this movie is also highly entertaining, sparkling with humor, wit, and unforgettable drag scenes. A movie that should be watched every so often to remind us that, no matter what clothes you wear, all of us are the same underneath.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
No Regrets Or Apologies From Arnold Beckoff
bkoganbing19 March 2009
I was fortunate enough to see one of the 1222 performances of Torch Song Trilogy when it was on Broadway, a show written and starring Harvey Fierstein who with this success becomes a Brooklyn Jewish version of Noel Coward. Sad to say Torch Song Trilogy was tragically dated when it got to the screen because the AIDS epidemic had not occurred when Fierstein wrote this bittersweet tale of a gay life, and a man who refuses to conform to anyone else's ideas including his all powerful Jewish mother. And we know how formidable those folks can be.

Fierstein is Arnold Beckoff who knew from early childhood he was a gay kid and took life as it came. In fact he became a drag entertainer of note and seems to be doing quite well at it, making a living, much to the consternation of his mother Anne Bancroft. I saw Estelle Getty do this on Broadway and I wouldn't want to split hairs on the differences between the two actresses. Like so many of her generation, Bancroft just thinks being gay is a phase that her son will grow out of. Of course by his mid thirties you'd think she would have a clue. As on Broadway the scenes between Mrs. Beckoff and her son have the real meat of the play.

As you might have guessed Torch Song Trilogy had its beginnings in the gay cabaret scene and through the persistence of Harvey Fierstein it got to Broadway. On stage the various scenes which are more segmented than in the film version are punctuated by a cabaret singers doing various torch song ballads to put a coda on what the audience had just seen. Here the torch songs are relegated to background music, the best kind of background music to be sure. Harvey himself however does perform in his drag character.

The one true love of his life is Brian Kerwin who can't quite accept himself as gay. He's comfortable being 'bisexual', but as Fierstein so accurately points out, he'd like to meet just one bisexual who is open with his boyfriends, but keeps his women a big old secret.

Kerwin is always an interesting player to watch. He got his first notice as the hayseed deputy on the Sheriff Lobo series and he's spent the rest of his career making sure he was NEVER cast in that kind of part again. As the troubled love of Harvey's life, Kerwin certainly proves he's more than a hayseed. Because Kerwin won't be true to himself, Harvey looks for love elsewhere. Harvey's not capable of closeted behavior, the closet would be death for him.

Matthew Broderick plays Alan the young male model who Harvey falls for and he's as winning here as he is in Ferris Bueller's Day Off. In fact he's a gay Ferris Bueller who probably did spend time trying to get into adult gay clubs and knew all the places where they'd wink and let him in. His tragic end at the hands of a gang of homophobic street thugs is something I saw all too much of in my working life at Crime Victims Board.

Torch Song Trilogy transfers quite well from the stage to the screen and with Harvey Fierstein helping with the transfer, we'd expect nothing less. He kept the film true to the vision of gay male life that he saw and lived. I still remember he and I were both witnesses at the gay rights hearings in New York City back when Torch Song Trilogy had just finished its Broadway run. His words there were among the most inspiring.

So this review is dedicated to the author and star of Torch Song Trilogy who has never slackened in his dedication for Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual/Transgender Rights and gives of himself and his talents to his people. From your fellow Brooklynite Harvey, with love.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Touching, funny, sad and human
runamokprods27 December 2013
A notable film on several levels. First, it was way ahead of America in being a relatively mainstream film that treated gay men as people of depth, value, humor and worth making a film about. (Although there is sad irony in the fact this huge hit play took so long to make it to the screen that AIDS had already totally altered the landscape by the time of its release. That's something the film only notes in the closing credits, and gives it a bit of a 'rose colored glasses' hue).

But beyond any politics or social significance this is also a very well acted, funny and moving look at one man, Arnold, (played by the unique and charismatic Harvey Firestein, who wrote the play and screenplay) as he looks for love – both romantic and familial in a sometimes very cold world. If Firestein's performance can occasionally feel theatrical, it's also entirely appropriate for the starting-to-age drag queen performer he plays. What's wonderful is how Firestein always keeps the humanity under Arnold's occasional flamboyance very alive, as does Anne Bancroft as his 'difficult' mother. Later in her career Bancroft could tend towards theatricality on screen as well, but she tones it down just enough to feel real here, and anyway, lets face it, next to a drag queen, who is more innately dramatic than a Jewish mother? (I grew up with one, trust me).

Matthew Broderick and Brian Kerwin also do very good work in support, Broderick as a sexy but understated young man totally at ease with his sexuality, and Kerwin as a confused bi- sexual trying to work out his. While never rising to the level of a great film (the direction is very straightforward and bland, there's almost a TV movie look to it, it never completely surpasses it's theatrical origins), it's certainly a good, touching, human, and important one – although to a generation growing up with the reality of gay marriage and deeper integration of gay people into society, some of the historical importance may be lost. But not the essential, timeless embrace of kindness, love, respect and understanding
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A film to watch time and time again
midsummernina25 November 2004
I discovered the play "Torch Song Trilogy" on stage in Stockholm 1986. I immediately fell in love with it and saw it five times (even though it was 5 1/2 hours long). When I realized that they've made a film out of it I was delighted. The sad (and exciting) thing about stage productions is that once they're not playing anymore, you can never see them again. But in this case this film gave me the chance to revisit the wonderful world of Arnold!

I found it on VHS maybe 12 years ago and I have no idea how many times I've watched it. All I can say is that my copy is all but unwatchable by now. Once in a while I get the urge to "visit old friends" and I just have to see the film again. To say it in a few words: I love it I love it I love it! Harvey Fierstein is fantastic and unique! Anne Bancroft is a mother that sends chills along your spine - but you can't help loving her just the way Arnold does. Don't miss this film!
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An Intelligent Comedy-Drama for the Politically Correct...
ijonesiii22 December 2005
EThe film version of Harvey Fierstein's own play TORCH SONG TRILOGY is an entertaining comedy which, though stretches credibility, remains a watchable motion picture for those who are comfortable watching films dealing with gays and gay issues. The movie is the story of a drag queen named Arnold and how he deals with life offstage through relationships with men and with his overbearing mother (the fabulous Anne Bancroft). As much as I admire Fierstein as a writer and performer, he seems to be suffering that Woody Allen syndrome where he has a rather distorted view of his own sexual attractiveness. Not to be cruel, but I found it hard to swallow that guys who looked like Brian Kerwin and Matthew Broderick would be attracted to a guy who looked like Harvey Fierstein, but if you can accept that, the film is imminently watchable with strong performances from Kerwin, Broderick, Bancroft, and Eddie Castrodad as David, a gay teen that Arnold adopts. Broderick played David in the original production of the play, but in the movie he plays Harvey's lover. An entertaining film with a unique story, a couple of disturbing messages, and some very good performances.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"You Want to Be a Part of My Life, I'm Not Editing Out the Parts You Don't Like!"
Scott Amundsen1 April 2012
I was born, raised, and lived in New York City until I was forty, and I saw a lot of Broadway shows, but it has always been one of my great regrets that I never saw Harvey Fierstein's monumental play TORCH SONG TRILOGY, which he both wrote and starred in. So when I saw that a film version had been made, and wonder of wonders it starred Fierstein, I rushed out to see it. And I was not disappointed.

In the interim I had read the play. On the stage, TST was an experimental piece with minimal sets, lots of overlapping dialogue (something that works well on the stage but is hard to do on film), and a running time of nearly four hours. So when I saw that the film's running time was just two hours, I prepared myself for a hack job. But Fierstein himself adapted his own play to the screen; I should have known better. The end result is, you might say, a "compressed" version of the play: Fierstein made a good many judicious cuts in the dialogue, leaving only the choicest bits, and the finished product shines like a well-cut diamond.

TST tells the story of ten years in the life of Arnold Beckoff (Fierstein), a female impersonator in New York City with a romantic nature; surrounded by men looking for sex, Arnold is looking for love, and it can be cold out there in the big city.

Yet he does find love, and more than once. The first time in the person of a *bisexual* schoolteacher named Ed Reese (winningly played by Brian Kerwin), who ultimately can't make up his mind which bed he wants to sleep in. Ed isn't a bad guy, but he is terrified of being gay and tries desperately to make a life with his girlfriend Laurel (Karen Young in a brilliant, funny-sad performance), in the end succeeding only in hurting both Laurel and Arnold, who drops him.

Arnold's next love interest literally falls into his lap. Onstage at the club, Arnold is heckled by a bunch of young men who are very drunk, and one of them, upon being confronted, responds by passing out. Arnold takes him home to sleep it off. The young man, by name Alan Simon, barely out of his teens, is brilliantly played here by the indecently beautiful Matthew Broderick. Looking down at the sleeping boy, Arnold says, "If you have an IQ of over 30, then there is no God." When Alan awakens Arnold serves him breakfast, gives him directions to the subway, and locks himself in the bathroom until the kid leaves. But what he does not know is that Alan has developed a huge crush on Arnold, and he pursues him quite openly until Arnold's defenses crumble.

Arnold's love life goes on with more than its share of triumphs and tragedies. Running on a parallel track is his relationship with his mother (Anne Bancroft, sensational as always), on the surface your typical New York Jewish Mother who hovers over her kids and has a gift for laying on the guilt. But there is more to her than that. Arnold loves her and is frustrated by her in equal measure; she has never accepted him for who he is and constantly makes references to the mythical *wife* he will *someday* have.

Arnold's journey of love and loss and reconciliation climaxes with a final confrontation with his mother in which he finally lays down the law: "There's nothing I need from anyone except for love and respect and anyone who can't give me those two things has no place in my life!"

Condensing a four hour play into a two hour movie seems an impossible task, but Fierstein and Company pull it off brilliantly, and the end product is a warm and winning film, often funny and sometimes tragic, but always real. And the best part is that Hollywood did not insist on putting a name star in the lead. The part was written by Fierstein for Fierstein because on some level Arnold IS Harvey, and it's perfect for his rubbery, funny face which reflects every emotion he feels, and while he starts out considering himself somewhat less than attractive, by the end of the film, he has gained considerable dignity and is almost handsome.

A joy to watch from start to finish.
True to Life
Stepen26 April 2003
The movie really hit home for most of the population. It shows the struggles and inequality that we have to deal with and ultimatley where back when this movie was made how we were viewed by society. The movie showed pefectly how the love of two people regardless of who they were was something that is to be treated with dignity and repect.
The Biggest Crime
hamichael14 August 2002
The biggest crime about this film is that it has not been released on DVD. It is one of the best films ever! Anne Bancroft gives the performance of a lifetime! It really bothers me that Movies like "Sleepaway Camp III" get put on DVD and important films like "Torch Song Trilogy" are not. Something is wrong with the people at New Line Cinema!
Deeply moving, very funny
colinr291 May 2002
This has to be my favourite film of all time. I first saw it 12 years ago and have watched it at least once every year since then - and I'm not the sort to watch films more than once normally.

The fact that I'm gay may make the film especially poignant for me, but it surely would appeal to a wider audience.

The script and acting are excellent, particularly Anne Bancroft.
M Toning19 February 1999
To me, this is the only movie with a homosexual theme that really means something. Other movies with the same elements tend to be too dramatic or just too sad. For example, in Philadelphia, the relationship between the two main characters is just not real. That makes it a nice film for heterosexuals to watch (and they tell you that over and over again), but a joke to those who know how it should be!

Torch Song Trilogy is really a great movie. True and realistic, about the love between men.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
There's little here to explain why the play was such a landmark...
moonspinner5510 June 2006
Ineffective, miscast, and curiously awkward comedy-drama about a gay drag queen's search for true love. Harvey Fierstein adapted his stage triumph for the screen and has the leading role, but Fierstein (who has proved to be a great character actor in showy supporting roles) isn't quite able to carry off a lead, at least not on film. On-screen almost constantly, his sandpaper voice breaking up in mock-happiness or despair, he's too needy, too unsure of himself, and he takes visual and verbal short-cuts to emotions without taking the audience's sense of rhythm into consideration (he's always two steps ahead, beating us to the laughs and the pathos). As for his script, the dialogue has the unmistakable ring of late-night-movie clichés, and director Paul Bogart's comic timing is gummy and rehearsed. Anne Bancroft, a great actress, is miscast once again as Harvey's mother (she seldom found a role that suited her, particularly after "The Graduate"). Tidy, lackluster scenario is plastic and unconvincing, as are Matthew Broderick and Brian Kerwin as Fierstein's lovers. It's a harmless sitcom...and what a shame that is. ** from ****
6 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Movie About Finding Love
sanfrancisco_9411014 February 2003
Looking for love, finding love, losing love, wondering what love is, finding it again but in a different way. That's what this movie is about.

Torch Song Trilogy is an excellent movie. It's a combination of 3 plays Harvey Fierstein wrote in the 1970s. I was fortunate to see the world premiere of 2 of them in San Francisco at Theatre Rhinoceros. The combination into a single movie makes for a very powerful movie.

I'm told that Matthew Broderick agreed to be Harvey Fierstein's lover in this movie (he even kisses Harvey in the movie) in gratitude for Harvey's giving him a break on the Broadway stage when Torch Song was first performed as a play. (In the original play, Matthew Broderick plays the son.)

It was a very courageous thing for Matthew Broderick, at the height of his career, to play a gay character and especially to kiss another guy, knowing that he would be dropped from all the teen heart-throb magazines and would lose a ton of movie roles.

Between Harvey and Matthew, this is a film well worth seeing.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A film with one of the most decent, funny and open of hearts.
Mattydee746 June 2001
Harvey Fierstein was one of the most humane and real voices amongst the

figure-heads on the documentary, "The Celluloid Closet". This is the

film based on his play and based on his life. It is an endearing and

engaging comedy-drama with one of the most decent hearts of any film

made about the experience of being gay. It deals honestly and openly

with the life of Arnold (played by Fierstein), his family, his lovers

and his career as a "female impersonater" or "drag queen". Neither term

adequately sums up Arnold as he and his inner muse, Virginia Ham, are

much more than simply stereotypes. Not that there's no humour, this is a

laugh-out-loud funny film. Its set in the early seventies and ends in

the early eighties. The journey takes us from extraordinary, unexpected

joys through devastating tragedies into the everyday world of coping and

living life. Its a film pre-AIDS, which attempts to give us a vision of

life before this epidemic. Its a beautiful film with a committed and

excellent cast. Its political in the way more films should be, by

dealing with everyday life and the ways in which we can live and be

ourselves and help
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Funny, touching, heartwarming a film for the whole family!
rick26523 February 2001
Yep, that's right. This is a film that moms and dads need to sit down and watch with their kids. Not only is it one of the few early films about the gay community in which the lead character doesn't die in the end, it is also one of the few films which is about someone trying build a life of love and acceptance despite the odds. One of the most touching scenes comes at the end of the movie when Arnold finally has it out with his overbearing mother. He gives it to her and good, and in the end finds that he has all of the love that he needs and some pretty good memories as well. It is a film that affirms life, love and being proud of who you are, no matter what others think of you. Fierstien and Bancroft give powerful performances, and Matthew Broderick is adorable as Alan. Perhaps one day this film will be appreciated for the classic
alcendrero15 September 2000
When I first watched Torch Song Trilogy I was living in my birthplace Burgos (Spain). I was 19 years old. My life changed completely because it was my first film about gay people.

When I was a teenager I had some problems being gay. I did not accept myself but since I watched Torch Song Trilogy I feel pride in myself every day.

I love every minute from the film but there is a part very special to me, when Arnold explained his mother why his boyfriend was murdered.

You will love it. Please if you have any chance, watch it. You will not regret it.
Great Movie
fandangonoir25 July 2000
I was probably the only straight dude in the whole theater the day I went to go see this movie. Harvey F. does a great job adapting his play for screen. Pretty much anyone who's had troubles finding that special someone should be able to relate to this warm, witty, edgy movie. They show this flick on the TV channel Bravo a lot and they butcher it mercilessly. Be sure you see it for the first time uncut, trust me, it loses a lot in the acceptable for TV translation that the networks air.