IMDb > Tears in the Rain (1988) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Tears in the Rain (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Another Bad Harlequin Romance

Author: suessis
2 September 1999

Christopher Cazenova and Sharon Stone are charming in this movie, but their talent is wasted in an implausible script. The plotline was highly unbelievable and only the performances of some of the cast make it worth watching at all. Leigh Lawson is very amusing as Cazenova's womanizing Arab friend and Anna Massey is interestingly ruthless as Cazenova's mother. If you should happen to get this on tape I would keep the remote control handy so that you can fast forward as needed.

story of lasting love

Author: wedraughon from United States
1 October 2005

Those with a cynical view or experience of love need not bother with this movie. Those who have dreamed that love could be deep and lasting will enjoy this movie but find it unrealistic. Those who have experienced this type of love will be gratified watching this movie and will find such a love very well and accurately depicted.

It is sad that the Shakespearean actor Paul Daneman, who gave such a nuanced and convincing portrayal of the middle age man whose love never ends, has recently died. His performance gave this movie its seriousness and credibility. Sharon Stone gave the performance of her life in this early film. This role provided a range of emotions and situations and she portrayed every one of them movingly and accurately. Her vivacious and multifaceted character is one every man will fall in love with.

It is unfortunate for move lovers that this film was so poorly and so briefly promoted that millions who would have loved it will never see it. (A newly produced DVD will be available on Feb. 28, 2006.)

Wonderful

Author: denisechilds from Oklahoma
14 November 2004

This early film starring Sharon Stone is one that you don't want to miss. Great performances by Christopher Cazenove and Paul Daneman compliment Ms. Stone. This is a very compelling and realistic movie. It takes you through the sense of loss, adventure, falling in love, happiness, disappointment, anger, heart-wrenching sadness, and exhilarated happiness. Believe me, once you start this movie, you won't want to leave for a minute. I can't believe I hadn't seen it before now. Great for all ages and the romantics at heart. It's one of those movies that you end up saying to yourself, "only in the movies" with the perfect ending. I plan to add this movie to my collection in the future.

Wonderful movie!

Author: Dayna from Texas
7 July 2003

Contrary to most of the other comments, I found this movie wonderfully romantic and believable. Christopher Cazenove and Sharon Stone had great chemistry together. If you like romantic dramas like I do, you should see this film!

interesting old fashioned romance

Author: Faseeh Ikram
22 February 2001

Quite an interesting movie with Sharon Stone in her pre-Basic Instinct days. Its a bit of an old fashioned romance where boy meets girl, but there is something mysterious about the girl's past which may end up ruining the relationship.

Good acting by the mainly British cast. 6/10

Why not more like this

Author: swork47 from United States
19 April 2005

Saw this on TV and came right out at midnight to my computer to find somewhere to buy the the DVD. LOVED Christopher Cazenove and will be looking for more of his movies, and LOVED Sharon Stone's performance, also. This is the kind of movie they should be making these days. Too bad so much junk now. Just cannot say enough about Christopher Cazenove - fell in love with him myself. What a great romantic, heartwarming film. I'm easy, but I was a bit worried toward the end, but all turned out well, thankfully.

I have become very much an Anglophile, as far as TV shows and movies, so this was a pleasure in that regard, also.

One of the best movies I've seen

Author: anonymous from Indiana
10 November 1998

I love watching this movie over and over again. I thought the characters were wonderful.

Excellent Movie-Mr. Cazenove gave a great performance.

Author: twyli from Manchester, Tennessee, USA
13 November 2003

I recently (November 2003) saw the movie "Tears in the Rain" on television. It is a great romantic movie without a naked sex-activity scene. I'm glad the television network replayed this 1988 movie. I had previously seen Mr. Cazenove in "A Knight's Tale" and "Three Men and a Little Lady" and thought he had more acting ability than what was written. I'm glad I had the opportunity to see him in this movie. His facial and eye expressions do indeed portray a deeper acting ability. Also noted is his agility and fluid body movement as emphasized in the last scenes of the movie when he comes around the couch to embrace Sharon Stone's character when she breaks down. Mr. Cazenove's acting gave this movie credence. Ms Stone's acting gave an air of "fakeness" (of course I realize that this is one of her first movies and so no cruelty is meant.) The actors portraying Jessie, young Lord Richard, older Lord Richard and older Lady Emily gave good performances and did indeed lend to the believability of the story line.

Great story. Fine cast. Good acting. Worth seeing.

Author: shipdit002 from United States
6 February 2015

... BUT! ... Prepare to be EXTRAORDINARILY disappointed with the LOUSY image quality of the 2003 DVD release from "Legacy Entertainment" that I happened to be crippled with when I saw this.

I'm a technically competent person who recognized the symptoms of a cheap copy straight-from-videotape. Colors are washed out and you can even see the garbled scan lines at the bottom of the screen from the crease of the original video-tape source. Fans of Sharon Stone may agree with me that if you walked into a theater and found this playing on the screen and someone asked you, "Who is that actress playing Casey Cantrell?", you might say, "I have no idea". She's YOUNG in this movie!

Tears will reign, and probably fisticuffs, too, if anyone ever makes you watch this gobbler

Author: Amy Adler from Toledo, Ohio
9 February 2011

Beautiful Casey (Sharon Stone) takes a bus in the rain to a British castle, where she tries to climb over the wall. Naturally, she gets busted, by handsome Michael (Christopher Cazenove). He is taken with this young trespasser but she is coy and leaves after a brief conversation. Nevertheless, Michael, a son of the man Casey has traveled from America to meet, tracks her down at the inn. Before long, Mike is made to understand that Casey's mother was once an acquaintance of his father, maybe more so. Casey, in fact, has a letter, written before her mother's death, that she wants to give Mikey's dad. But, there are complications, as the father is a very important government official and has little spare time. Michael, indeed, tries to distract Casey by romancing the gorgeous American and doing little to have her meet anyone else. But, what does the letter say and will it have repercussions about the futures of both Casey and Michael? This ultimate "gobbler" is not recommended for anyone. It unfolds like a bad, bad Harlequin book, very trite and very clumsy. To be sure, Stone looks lovely and does her best, as does Cazenove, who went on to be a supporting star in Three Men and a Little Lady, among other films. But, there is an utter lack of any intelligence or meaning in the script. Okay, the British setting is nice and the costumes are attractive. So what? Do not let anyone talk you into watching this film, as tears will indeed reign from the sheer torture of a view.