A Stoning in Fulham County (TV Movie 1988) Poster

(1988 TV Movie)

4 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Excellent, Sensitive Telling Of An All-Too-Often Story
Orren4 January 2013
I feel I must speak about this film with more heart than I see in some comments. I do not believe the plot summary comment should be allowed to go unchallenged in its short vision.

This film is beautifully written, constructed, cast and acted. The pace, photography, color, soundtrack, costumes and sets all move with depth, nuance and a continuity remarkably faithful to the pace and way of idealized Amish country life. The film presents the Amish not as characters in a melodrama, but rather spreads out the entire Fulham County Community in the complexity of a spiritual, ethical parable — without preaching, or judging, or trivializing the deep human values at odds in an incident, which becomes a crime, which becomes a complex balance of "relative rights and wrongs," — which the film is scrupulously careful to articulate in terse dialog, exceptional acting, and sincere beauty.

This film has become a trivia footnote in Brad Pitt's filmography, since it is one of his earliest performances. It deserves to be elevated from footnote to Exceptional Acting by a Juvenile. His performance is brief, heart-breaking, and some of the best work he has ever done. Likewise those who know Ron Perlman only as a "heavy" character actor will marvel at the finely graduated and sincere beauty of his revelation of the heart of Job. By the time the film concludes, truth and amity prevail notwithstanding tragedy, there are no shallow winners or losers, and Life itself is the summary memory. Some film buffs may perhaps muse to themselves that they have been touched like this, with this power and restraint, in only one other film: "To Kill A Mockingbird."
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Uncaring thugs attack those who are different
helpless_dancer7 March 2002
A small town is thrown into turmoil when four youths go on trial for a heinous crime against a neighboring Amish family. Many of the townspeople felt harassing the Amish for being different was merely harmless sport, but an idealistic young prosecutor brought charges for a hateful, intolerant act. The only witness against the criminals was a 7 year old girl whose father refused her entry into the trial on religious grounds which undermined almost all of the prosecutor's efforts at an indictment. Good film showing the stupidity of those with a superior attitude.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Truth
spheckma3 August 2012
I have mix feelings about this movie as it does tell about how the Amish are willing to use devices such as others telephones and be driven in others cars. This only touches on the exemptions they make to their religion, so I believe that the Amish need to decide to stick to the beliefs completely and not, when necessary they use modern means. Also, I find in a modern world with cars a trucks have not place on the road with the buggies they use. It's a danger to them. To this end perhaps they need to keep COMPLETELY to themselves, but wound it be a shame if we couldn't learn the great things these people have to teach. In the movie when the stones are throw by much more that prank loving youth they are throw at Amish buggies, traveling at night by victious, victious youth who in the film seem not to care that they have killed a small child. I do believe, should the Amish decide to cast away all modern things, then they need to do that and they need to keep themselves out of danger by keeping off the roads, but then on the other hand perhaps we who use bikes and run on public roads and make rules that dogs must be on leashes should be banned from the roadways as well as these thing are dangerous to all of them. When the day came that we accepted that these sort of youth should be allowed to get away with one such incident then the rest of us should hang our heads in shame. So, how about, buggies and runner/joggers, bikers and dogs be kept of the public roads to keep them and all safe.
0 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this