IMDb > Space Mutiny (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Space Mutiny

Space Mutiny More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 18: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

One of the funniest things I've ever seen!

Author: perni from Owensboro, Kentucky
13 April 2002

This has got to be one of my favorite episodes of Mystery Science Theater 3000 ever, simply because this movie is so ridiculous and silly. I don't have to go into detail about how bad Space Mutiny is, so here are just some of my favorite moments from the show: 1) The golf cart chase sequence, of course. I especially like the hand drawn sparks that appear when the two vehicles hit one another. 2) The intergalactic night club is a hoot, from the funky music to the girls trying to act sexy while dancing with hula hoops. 3) "That's Dr. I-had-no-other-choice!" 4) "Wall mounted keyboards. It must be THE FUTURE!" 5) I love the scene where the bad guys are discussing the mutiny and one geeky guy threatens to tattle. In the end he gets stabbed with the leader's cane several times. I hate it when that happens. 6) "Look alive everyone--oh, sorry Sarah." 7) "Crow must have found the whisper quiet spinning spike railing." There are many more, but you'll have to catch the episode to find your personal favorites.

Battlestar Stupidity

Author: icehole4 from Irving, TX
15 March 2002

Frankly, if I was Glen Larson (who produced Battlestar Galactica) I would sue the pants off of these people, even if I had given permission to use the footage of my show. The captain looks like a cross between Uncle Jesse from the Dukes of Hazard and Lorne Greene. The main hero is a slab of beefcake and the main heroine is a slab of cheesecake. Pretty much every cast member was chosen for their good looks and not their acting ability. The cheap golf-cart collision is probably the most expensive special effect in the film, and it looks like they spent a whole $5 on it.

Avoid this one unless you're watching the MST3K version.

a real howler

Author: Mira8 from Philadelphia
12 December 2001

For one thing, this movie has THE EIGHTIES written all over it. 80s computers: there are a lot of really superfluous scenes where a character will pull up some "really vital" data on a screen which basically looks like your kid brother playing Defender or Galaga. And the 80s hair and fashions are the worst.

Other great things: the spooky half naked dancing chicks - we never get to find out who they are, or what they were doing, but they look swell doing it!

The floor buffer race, where Captain Hunky inexplicably screams and jumps out of his cart.

The many, many, MANY "railing deaths."

And last but not least, like the other guy mentioned, the girl who is killed and moments later, is back at her post. If you're like me, you're sitting there waiting for a plot development like it turns out it's actually her evil pod self or something, but nah. Just the world's worst continuity.

A jip of Star Wars, A treasure for MST3000

Author: Shadowyak from ohio
8 December 2001

I happen to be writing this while i'm watching the movie itself. I think it is trash. Just like star wars, but ofcourse, Horrible compared to star wars. The acting is not too bad but the costumes are rediculous! You should not even look at this movie at all! It doesen't even deserve to be a B-movie, because it is made in 1988, it could have much better. While the acting is good, its what that they say.... HORRIBLE. Its silly.

i give this D+ 66% 6/10

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

Author: divaclv
16 August 2001

...actually, it's sometime in the '80s in a warehouse outfitted with Apple IIe computers and a lot of railings in an attempt to make it look like a futuristic space station. And what ensues is hardly a Lucasian epic of any proportion.

(NOTE: In normal circumstances, what follows would be considered spoilers. However, as the entire plot becomes obvious within the first five minutes of the film, I think you may continue to read with impunity. Unless you have the average IQ of the principal characters)

Anyway, there's a bunch of pilgrims from Earth wandering through space via some Battlestar Galactica stock footage, lead by a captain who looks like Santa Claus and his second-in-command, who looks like a watered-down James Marsters. They're being mutinied against by Kalgan and his evil marching band uniform-wearing henchmen, who kill anyone who gets in their way. But since resurrection technology exists in the future (as evidenced by a minor character who's back on the bridge after being shot), this isn't too big a drawback.

Nevertheless, enter thick-muscled and thick-headed Dave Ryder, who leads a force of other marching-band rejects to stop Kalgan. The heros and villians chase each other around in Zamboni machines, fire lasers at each other (the bad guys, in accordance with the long-standing movie tradition, cannot hit the broad side of the Death Star), and fall off railings while Santa and James look at Atari graphics. Oh yeah, Ryder also inexplicably falls for Captian Kringle's daughter, played by a woman who's under the Norma Desmond-esque delusion that she can still play a romantic lead despite being old enough for AARP. And there are some chicks called Bellarians, who are apparently mystical magic users although their primary ability seems to be dancing around and rubbing body parts over those electric globes you can get in novelty stores for $25.

There's more, most of it pointless and silly. Near the end, Dave Ryder emits a bunch of screams. I know how he feels.

Best worst movie ever!!

Author: Smapdi McPants (LepInTheHood) from A hole in the Ground
18 July 2001

This has to be one of my favorites on MST3K. Plus, it's not everyday that you see a person resurrected from the frozen depths of space! That was sooooo nice of them. Coincidentally, i watched this movie BEFORE the MST3K also, and i also laughed me a**e off. I wish they would make more movies like this, meant to be serious, but just too rediculous to be taken that way.

Not the best but.....better than Battlestar Galctica!

Author: NotoriousNate
21 April 2001

I keep reading about everyone mentioning how they saw this on MST3K. Well, this is from a guy who has also seen it on MST3K AND seen the original UNCUT version. The plot is basically our hero Dave Ryder(action and direct-to-video regular Reb Brown) crashes into a ship called Southern Sun helps its crew(has-been Cameron Mitchell and his real-life daughter Cisse)and from there stops a mutiny by "Eagle One" Kalgan(cult film favorite John Phillip Law) and his evil Enforcers. The film has loads of fistfights(not seen in MST3k), old Battlestar footage(and no they don't use the same scenes repeatedly), and the good guys and bad guys constantly planning in their war rooms(which are the same set). By the end of the film, our hero leaves and the villain shows up in a scene that just screams sequel(which was never made or released). This film is probably one of those kinds that you can find in a local video store in the USED bin for about $0.50 but its so corny and fast-paced you probably can actually enjoy it with MST or not(I would recommend watching it on MST3K for an extra laugh).

Railings Kill

Author: The Waffle Man (speedwaffle@hotmail.com) from Corona Borealis
17 April 2001

In this movie, no less then 15 people fall off railings when they are killed. In a 2 hour movie, this works out to be about 1 railing kill every 8 minutes, which I think must be some kind of record.

Unfortunately, that factoid is about the only thing interesting about this movie. The cookie-cutter plot is as follows: A colonizing spaceship has been sent from the over-populated earth to some other planet (I forget, and I don't care enough to look it up). Unfortunately, the evil Calgon is tired of living in space, and so, with the help of head engineer MacPhearson, attempts to take control of the ship. Only one man can stop him: Ace pilot Stump Manmuscle, uh, I mean Dave Ryder.

Now, this could easily have been a fairly entertaining b movie, but several facts conspire to ruin it totally. First off, the woman playing Lea, the heroine, is way too old for the part. Imagine Shari Lewis in a skimpy little outfit, dancing around and flashing her butt at someone at least ten years her junior. It ain't pretty pal.

Secondly, all the effects shots depicting the outside of the spaceship are taken from battlestar galactica, while the inside shots are of people in goofy costumes riding golf carts around a warehouse. The contrast in quality between the inside and outside effects is staggering

Thirdly, no one ever comes close to hitting the heroes, even when they are standing still in plain sight.

Fourthly, Cameron Mitchell looks to be about the same age as his "daughter", even with the laughably fake crepe beard they glued to his chin.

Fifthly, the Bellerians don't do anything except provide eye candy and pad out the running time. I could go on, but I'll finish by saying that this movie does have one redeeming value: it is easy to mock. Who knows, it might be fun to invite your friends over, have a few beers and laugh at this stupid movie. Or, if you want to save time and energy, you could just watch the MST3K version.

"Punch Rockgroin, Smoke Manmuscle, Rip Steakface, Slab Squatthrust!"

Author: Anthony Bannon (bannonanthony) from Annalong, N. Ireland
19 February 2001

Another of my favourites from MST3K, but again a film that should ONLY be seen there. This film has some of the worst performances, especially from our so-called 'hero' Ryder (aka Thick Runfast and countless other ridiculous macho names that Mike, Crow & Servo give him) and the head villain (a typical non-PC crippled guy). At first glance, the outer space dogfights look good, but when you realise that they were ripped off from BATTLESTAR GALACTICA, you realise how desperate the producers were to save money. The two other major offenders are the obviously uncomfortable costumes and those stupid golf-carts the crew travel in. Apart from that, it's humourous viewing. I must admit that I actually liked that 'Edge of a Dream' song that was played during the credits, but the MST crew were right: it DID sound like a cross between Michael Sembello's 'Maniac' and Chris de Burgh's 'Don't Pay The Ferryman'!

"Nice of you to give that dead girl another chance."

Author: F6Pilot from The Southern Sun
17 October 2000

If you watch this with Mike and the 'bots, you'll roll on the floor laughing. The SOL guys were able to produce a beautiful flower of an episode, using the manure "Space Mutiny" as a rich fertilizer. Don't miss the breathtaking armored golf cart chases, the bevy of witches who got lost wound up in this movie, and above all the beautiful continuity screw-up where Lt. Lamont gets killed by the bad guy, only to appear on the bridge in the next scene. Those are just the bad points that make the movie unique. The rest of the plot is cheap props, stunt men falling from railings, Grand Theft Visual from Battlestar Gallactica, and Grand Theft Audio from Star Wars and Star Trek. A bounty of riffing material for our intrepid heroes in MST3K, but I would never touch the stuff without their help. You VCR would probably take it as a personal affront if you tried to watch it without Mike and the 'bots.