IMDb > Slaughterhouse Rock (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Slaughterhouse Rock More at IMDbPro »

A mess, but a fun mess

Author: sgtking from United States
1 April 2007

The rock 'n' roll horror sub-genre has come and gone, but thanks to fans of cheesy 80s horror like myself, the movies that make up this sub-genre are not forgotten. Though not nearly as cool or memorable as the 1986 film Trick or Treat, Slaughterhouse Rock has a charm all it's own. It's a bizarre mixture of rock 'n' roll, the supernatural, 80s hair and icons, brutal gore, etc. How could you not love a film with all that and more?

Pros: Moves at a quick pace. The acting, for the most part, is OK. The many dream sequences and imagery are fun times. A decent amount of blood and gore. Just about all the horror genre clichés are present here, which usually isn't a very good thing, but here it adds to the fun. Some OK make-up effects. Alcatraz prison is one scary place at night, especially with the added fog. A decent score.

Cons: Needlessly convoluted. Some really poor effects. Some atrocious dialogue and one-liners. Attempts at humor are poor. Characters are underdeveloped, so why should we care what happens to them? Relies too much on dream sequences for scares.

Final thoughts: You really gotta be a lover of camp and/or b movies to enjoy this muddled, but somewhat fun slice of late 80s horror cheese. It's not groundbreaking, scary, or smart, but if you want to spend about an hour and a half watching some bloody, no-brainer horror then be my guest. I know I enjoy a good piece of trash every now and then.

My rating: 3/5

Great premise, lousy execution

Author: tripwires from Singapore
27 December 2001

The summary provided by my cable TV guide made it sound a lot more interesting than it actually is. "Slaughterhouse Rock" is by far the worst horror film that I have ever seen, a title previously held by "Urban Legends: Final Cut". From its opening scene I could tell it's going to be really bad, but I was so bored that I couldn't care less. This film contains laughable acting, especially by the guy who's tormented in his dreams, incredible as in not credible plot twists, and some of the crappiest music I've heard, and I'm living in a period when the likes of Britney Spears and Nsync dominate the air waves. The biggest problem with "Slaughterhouse Rock" is that it's not funny. One would a film as dull and boring and so NOT scary as this would try to spice things up a bit with a few funny one-liners here and there, but no. We have Tormented Guy's self-centered friend trying to be funny, but came across as annoying instead. (spoiler) And please, do tell me, who in this crazy world is insane and self-loathing enough to visit a creepy jail in the middle of the night? No one! If you're going to make a horror movie, at least make it believable. This one is anything but.

WHAT WAS THAT?

Author: (milich1@hotmail.com) from México
14 June 2000

I couldn't stop wondering what had I just seen when this movie ended. It's one of the poorest and most badly constructed movies I've ever seen in my life. How could this script be approved in the first place anyway? It completely lacks any sort of narrative quality, and the structure is just nonsense. What a lack of talent.

Cool, Sexy and Funny Flick!!!

Author: JimSthers from United States
9 February 2002

I love this movie, I like it so much that I own a copy, it has everything: gore, nudity, pretty girls, cool soundtrack and a decent body count. A group of friends including the sexy Hope Marie Carlton (from Slumber Party Massacre 3, Savage Beach) go to an island where they are killed one by one after one of them gets possessed by some demon.

I love this movie, it rocks!!!

Author: MrsMcC from San Francisco, California
8 June 2002

I love this movie so much I bought it on VHS and DVD, and seen them a lot... Sure, the plot isn't very original, but the effects I think were well done and graphic enough to please horror fans like myself. The location was creepy enough for me, the first time I watched I kept waiting for something or someone to jump out (and it did lol).

I found all the male cast members very attractive which didn't hurt either. For the guys there is the lovely and talented Hope Marie Carlton who appears nude and/or semi-nude a few times ( I'm a straight female, but have always enjoyed watching Hope in all of her movies, nude or not).

Campy Horror That's So Bad It's Good

Author: horror7777 from New York
30 June 2001

SLAUGHTERHOUSE ROCK is a horror film that is not trying too hard to take itself seriously, which is good. For if it had, it would've been worse. This is the kind of film that you go into expecting run-of-the-mill slasher stuff, but instead you get a film that includes some great horror elements that include bringing in Alcatraz. Alcatraz is a great place for a horror film to take place, and although if they didn't have that stupid Sammy Mitchell bullsh*t this film would've been better, they played the film strictly for camp values. The whole Sammy Mitchell stuff is a big joke. In the beginning, that NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET dream stuff isn't played for laughs, but as soon as the teens hit the island, it's strictly camp. For a serious horror film, SLAUGHTERHOUSE ROCK scrapes the barrel, but for a campy, funny little horror film (which I presume and HOPE it was intended to be) SLAUGHTERHOUSE ROCK succeeds. There are worse out there people. **out of****For a stupid camp horror film.

Nightmare´s ala Freddy Kruger

Author: Heaven17 from Munich, Germany
7 January 2000

The storyline is absurd and lame,also sucking are performances and the dialogue, is hard to keep your Eyes open. I advise you to have a caffeine-propelled friend handy to wake you in time for a couple Gore-effects.Why they bring Alcatraz in?In this case,becomes increasingly difficult to swallow. All the while ,i wondered who this film aimed for?Chock full of lame subplots (such as the Cannibalism US Army-captain)This is low-grade in every aspect.BTW this Movie is banned in Germany!!

Cheap and cheesy '80s horror

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
30 March 2017

SLAUGHTERHOUSE ROCK is a cheap and cheesy horror film from the 1980s that feels very much like a rip-off of A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET. The story is about an ordinary guy who is plagued by sinister nightmares involving demons and death, so he decides to take a trip to the abandoned Alcatraz prison with some friends and family members in order to figure out what's going on.

Once there trouble soon begins when the guy's own brother is transformed into a demon with a penchant for human flesh. Luckily, a friendly female ghost is on hand to give him advice. And the latter sentence encapsulates all that's wrong with this film. The idea of having friendly, comedic ghosts hanging around imparting advice belongs in a kid's movie, not a supposedly adult film like this, and such scenes feel at odds with the various gore and effects on display elsewhere. Otherwise, it's very much a typical '80s production, with cheesy acting and rubbery effects inspired by the likes of FRIGHT NIGHT and AN American WEREWOLF IN London. It's not a classic, that's for sure.

"All I've gotten out of this is a slamming headache, not to mention a shaky stomach."

Author: Backlash007 from Kentucky
8 January 2004

Slaughterhouse Rock is pretty bad. Not bad in a good way, just bad. A college student has nightmares about Alcatraz, a spirit is trying to communicate with him, a rock band (led by Toni Basil) is slaughtered, and a "dream analyst" somehow knows what's going on...with a killer soundtrack by Devo. Sounds like a plot I came up with in 4th grade. None of this stuff fits together. The writer can try all he wants to, it's just not happening. It's a lame and incoherent set-up for a lame and incoherent horror movie. But then again what more do you expect from a title like Slaughterhouse Rock?

What was that?!?

Author: DJ Inferno
31 May 2002

Just watched "Slaughterhouse Rock" and it´s really one hell of a strange horror film! A bit of "Nightmare on Elm Street" here, a bit of "Evil Dead" there and lots of other obscurities that leave you behind with the question what you have seen now during the last 90 minutes: construct the puzzle from particles such as a totally twisted plot, grotesque humor, a pesky hard rock soundtrack by 1980s synthie-poppers Devo, campy acting by a bunch of stereotype US-teeny actors and some guys who look like a horde of new wave zombies. Unfortunately, I saw a heavily cut version, so I can only guess about the gore. However, the violence must have been explicit enough, otherwise "Slaughterhouse Rock" wouldn´t have reached the status of a video nasty in Germany. A film that´s neither suspense-packed nor boring, neither good nor bad. A really strange work indeed! I´d give 5 out of 10...