IMDb > The Seventh Sign (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Seventh Sign

The Seventh Sign More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Very underrated movie; Jurgen Prochnow, wow!

Author: cynthiacher-1 from United States
1 July 2007

Most critics wrote this movie off simply because it was a supernatural or horror film. I didn't have high hopes for it myself, but I watched it because I like the actor Jurgen Prochnow. And I was pleasantly surprised. The movie itself looks good; a lot of films of this type look cheap and flimsy, but not this one. The story was cohesive, suspenseful, eerie and had some truly skillful acting. There is the always good Michael Biehn as the husband and the two young actors Manny Jacobs and John Taylor are standouts. Even Demi Moore, an actress I normally find irritating, comes off well here. She played a pregnant woman and was pregnant herself, which certainly added a dimension to the nervous Abby. But it is Jurgen Prochnow who truly makes an impression; his eyes, his face, his voice are so expressive of the character. I won't reveal more, but let's just say a lot of actors have played this role, and this is one of the most believable interpretations of it that I've ever seen. Rent this movie!

An extraordinarily gripping movie

Author: maralex from Lincolnshire, England
15 April 2001

I've come to this movie late, and have no idea how I missed it on its release as it's the sort of film I like to watch. In fact, it was far better than most movies of this genre, and not only was I gripped by the clever weaving together of the various complex threads of the plot, I was also very moved, particularly by the ending. Demi Moore was better than usual as the pregnant Abby, but it was certainly Jurgen Prochnow's performance as the strange boarder that Abby and her husband take into their home, that turned this into such an extraordinarily gripping and ultimately uplifting movie. Try and catch it.

Supernatural mystery with an excellent performance by Demi Moore.

Author: ma-cortes from Santander Spain
25 January 2007

The picture concerns a pregnant woman (an actually pregnant Demi Moore) living with his husband (Michael Biehn). She realizes the strange boarder (Jurgen Prochnow) at her home and the fantastic goings-on happening are united to the ¨Book of Revelation¨ and some prophecies connected to her unborn son . She gets drawn into a cobweb of mysterious events . Nowadays, she only can stop the destruction of the world like is said in ¨The commentaries of the Apocalypse of Saint John¨. Around the world emerges various signs from Biblic omens . A Vatican emissary priest (Peter Friedman)is dedicated to investigate the bizarre deeds .

It's a spiritual triller skillfully narrated with bit action but quite entertaining . Strikingly designed with little exterior scenarios , being exception the freeze village and African outdoors . This polished film provides chills , supernatural events and thrills in lively mystery . It's rich and dark though sometimes confusing . The film belongs to supernatural prophecy sub-genre (along with : ¨The omen¨, ¨The Body¨ , among others) . Good main and support cast , even Ellen DeGeneres filmed a small role, but it was cut from the film before release . Esoteric music and excessive use of synthesizer by composer Jack Nitzsche (Starman , Jewel of Nile, Razor's edge). Colorful cinematography full of shades and lights by excellent Spanish cameraman Juan Ruiz Anchia (Close range, House of game , River runs black) . The motion picture was well directed by Carl Schulz (usual television picture director) . It's one of the most unusual supernatural movie from the 80s and certainly one of the most unsettling .

Entertaining slick supernatural thriller.

Author: Lucien Lessard from Canada
27 August 2008

Abby Quinn (Demi Moore) is a polite, caring, young woman. Which she's married to a hard-working lawyer (Michael Biehn) and Abby is also expecting her first child. But then an mysterious stranger by the name of David (Jurgen Prochnow) comes to rent their studio apartment. But Abby slowly realized that David isn't what he seems to be and David is actually an avenging angel bringing seven signs of the Apocalyspe to come.

Directed by Carl Schultz made an intriguing supernatural thriller with strong performances by Moore and especially Prochnow. This slick looking production has an terrific, haunting music score by Oscar-Winner:Jack Nitzsche (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Stand by Me, Starman) and great looking cinematography by Juan Ruiz Anchia (Glengarry Glen Ross, The Jungle Book, Spartan).

The original DVD has an sharp anamorphic Widescreen (2.35:1) transfer (also in Pan & Scan) and an good Dolby 2.0 Surround Sound. This film was an box office disappointment in the spring of 1988. But it somewhat went on to be a Cult Classic. "The Seventh Sign" is slow-moving at times but it's occasionally eerie and unexpectedly touching as well. "The Seventh Sign" may not be the greatest supernatural thriller of all time but it's certainly better and smarter than most. Panavision. (****/*****).

Could have been better

Author: P Money from sacramento, ca
9 September 2001

The first scene in the film is a super one. In the middle of a small Haitian village, through the impenetrable crowds of people, walks a man who is clearly out of place with everything else. He walks toward the sea and stops before a beach. In his hands he holds a scroll and a seal. He breaks the seal, drops it on the surf, and walks away, leaving a small boy to watch as the sea begins to boil and the fish wash up on the shore. It is clear what is happening: the first sign of the apocalypse.

Thus begins "The Seventh Sign", a supernatural thriller that only partially works, and should be better than it is. Demi Moore is a pregnant woman who begins to believe that the boarder in the apartment next door may have some bizarre, end-of-the-world plans for her baby. The boarder is the aforementioned stranger with the seal, as played menacingly by Jurgen Prochnow. The strength of this film is the sense of impending doom that pervades throughout. The film is stylish, and very effective in managing an apocalyptic tone.

The main flaw of the movie, however, is that the supporting characters are so much more interesting than the featured couple. Prochnow's boarder is very creepy, and we realize that this man means business (although his role and his motives are never really made clear). The Father Lucci character is a fascinating one, and when we hear of his true identity, we are further gripped, although at the end he is made into a routine maniacal villain, and his fate is never told.

This movie might have worked better if the Moore character were not so bland. She is put forth as a woman destined to save the world, yet she comes across as a talking head who is endlessly impressed by Prochnow's cryptic stories. She never really comes across as anything interesting. Her husband is the typical disbelieving clod who refuses to accept what his wife is saying, even when all hell is breaking loose around their ears.

Despite the flaws, I enjoyed "The Seventh Sign" and would willingly watch it again. There are several powerful moments, and other scenes that are memorable, like the opening shot. I would recommend it, but I'm not sure if I'd do so as a serious movie or as silly weekend fare.

Well-made, intelligent thriller

Author: Alan Katz from NYC
23 July 2001

"The Seventh Sign" is an intelligent and atmospheric horror film, although "religious thriller" would probably be a more apt description. It is has many creepy moments, and what's interesting is that the fear caused by the film is God-inspired, unlike so many films in the genre. This is a movie that has a thoroughly disturbing tone, the same level of pervading dread that made "The Exorcist," "The Omen," and the underrated Roman Polanski film, "The Ninth Gate" so successful. The acting and writing are solid; there are good performances from Demi Moore and Michael Biehn. Peter Friedman is excellent as a tortured priest. If you're in the mood for a thought-provoking thriller, check out "The Seventh Sign."

The world is ending.......all over the place though

Author: thomvic from Australia
12 September 2011

Another one of those apocalyptic end of the world movies with symbolic signs from the bible. While this has what is an interesting plot, it is done in a way that leaves a lot of holes - the main one being is why Demi Moore's character of Abby is chosen to be one of the signs in what could be the end of the world.

Moore gives a decent performance in this but it isn't enough to really make this film remarkable or very engaging, perhaps because the suspense is a bit lacking, though the visual effects were pretty good and the scenes of destruction really created that mood of a world coming down on itself. However, the plot sort of goes into territory that makes it seem a bit too surreal for its own benefit and not enough backstory is really given into the biblical references in my opinion to make it really connect strongly enough to it.

I think the film forgets that sometimes more quiet scenes or a lead up to the climax is often where you pull the punches emotionally with a film and I could sort of see the ending coming in a way with how it turned out. But the message of the film - if they are trying to give one didn't sink in as strongly as it could have - perhaps because it relies on the frailty and flaws of humanity - it isn't properly explored as it could have been.

Good acting and a refreshingly un-tested ending

Author: Patrik Engstrom from Stockholm, Sweden
5 July 2003

Unlike many others, I thoroughly enjoy this movie, it has many inconsistencies and it is no fair representation of The Book of Revelations or Christian mythology. However, the acting is good on most parts and the story in itself is thrilling. The best part is the end, though! My guess is that the producers did not use a test audience or they would have chosen a much sweeter and uninteresting ending.

Beautifully done supernatural chiller

Author: NateWatchesCoolMovies from Canada
22 July 2015

Let me say this right off the bat: I'm not usually a fan of religious films. Although The Seventh Sign has heavy undertones, I can't help but love it for being a really well crafted, atmospheric thriller that let's it's fantastic cast go to some truly tough emotional places, that would still be captivating in a film without religious roots. Demi Moore, who I've always loved a lot, plays Abbey Quinn, a tortured girl whose pregnancy only brings forth dark memories from her past and troubles her more. As ominous biblical signs intrude on her benign everyday life, a charismatic, intense stranger (Jurgen Prochnow) rents a room from her, and right away we know he ties into the phenomena somehow. Prochnow rarely gets a chance to play outside of the Soviet terrorist psychopath prototype, but here he brings sincerity, depth and a warm heart to a role that isn't easy to play without lookin like a preachy moron. Michael Biehn give a fiercely touching turn as Abbey's husband, a realist who finds himself out of his element with the supernatural elements that begin to creep into his life. Biehn has a scene at the end that he just nails, and is a highlight of his career. All religious paraphernalia aside though, the themes presented, about sacrifice, love, and finding the one tiny ray of hope in a world cluttered with scum and degenerates are concepts that can be universally applied to any story, be it Christian or not. It's a moody, exciting, heartfelt film that's well worth checking out.

Cradle Of Souls.

Author: AaronCapenBanner from North America
27 November 2013

Carl Schultz directed this supernatural thriller that stars Demi Moore and Michael Biehn as Abby & Russell Quinn, a married couple expecting their first child who rent out an apartment to raise extra money for their expanding family. The man who rents it calls himself David Bannon(played by Jurgen Prochnow), who proves to be quiet and mysterious, which gets Abby curious, especially when the Vatican assigns an investigator who is looking into signs of the imminent apocalypse, which seems to have something to do with Mr. Bannon, and Abby's unborn child... Though this film has some interesting philosophical ideas about spiritual matters, it's a shame it comes in such an otherwise uninspired and obvious thriller, which is too familiar with superior films like "Rosemary's Baby" or even "The Omen" to succeed. A shame.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]