IMDb > Satisfaction (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Satisfaction

Satisfaction More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Great feel good teen chick flick

Author: omolara-doyle from United States
24 October 2006

I first watched it in 89 when I was a preteen. Just saw it again on DVD and still think it's pretty awesome. DVD picture quality isn't the greatest but all that teen angst is awesome and Justine Bateman still rocks. Was a bit surprised to see Julia Roberts who I had no recollection of but Liam Neeson is probably the reason I ended up living in Europe. That accent!!

I'd definitely recommend it if you just want to kick back, relax. Watch some big 80s hair and funny girl band stuff. The other cast members are pretty cool too although not as memorable. Couldn't get over Julia Roberts in this movie dressed similarly to the way she was dressed in Pretty Woman.

I loved it and definitely recommend it for feel good flash backs.

Guilty Pleasure

Author: hoshi_82272 from South Carolina, USC
10 June 2003

Justine Bateman was probably the primary pull, or point of interest for me - from 'Family Ties'. I saw this movie when I was younger (high school perhaps). I even made several attempts to locate/purchase the soundtrack. To this day, I still sing their version of 'Iko Iko'. I had no clue who Julia Roberts was at this time - but her character did stick with me. This movie is fun to go back and watch now, with all of its cast who have gone on to further their careers.

Nostalgia factors huge into my review....

Author: pixidrizzl from Fenton, MO
26 May 2003

I haven't seen this in ages but I can tell you, as a teen I watched it over and over and over. I'm not sure how it would hold up to new viewers, though. It's a really fun film about a girl band trying to "make it" and facing all the dilemmas that can pop up when a bands just starting to get a feel for themselves and their music. Each member has a unique personality that really meshes in a fun way. I hope they issue this one out on DVD at some point because I'll be first in line to purchase.

A solid 3

Author: mm-39 from Winnipeg
13 May 2004

Some people will calls this film a chick flick, I prefer to say it is geared for a teenage women audience. With this in mind I fould it awful. Too sappy, predictable and reminds me of the low budget Bartell Drive inn movies. The all girl band headed out too the beach is toooo predictable. Their characters at best get across as cardbord. The tough girl etc. Even for an escapist movie, where the viewer turn his or her brain off, this film's script is too thin. I watched this with my wife late night, and could not care less for the conclusion. I left not really wanting to know about what happens too the band, or their love interest. For a film I found soaps have better wrighting. This film probably was done quick, on the cheap and it shows. Stay away unless your only other choice is Isthar at the video store. 3 Out of 10

Forgettable Early Roberts Role

Author: CitizenCaine from Las Vegas, Nevada
11 April 2004

Julia Roberts made her first credited film appearance in this late 80's girl band movie. Four girls and a token guy, a geeky one at that, travel to a beach coast roadhouse to be the summer house band. When the owner takes a liking to them, they could be headed for Europe where his friend can set the girls up. Are you kidding me? These girls don't sound good enough for that kind of opportunity. The girl band is headed by Family Ties girl: Justine Bateman on lead vocals; Britta Phillips is on lead guitar; Julia Roberts is on bass; Trini Alvarado is on drums. They all seem to have been cast with big hair in mind, popular in the late 80's. Scott Coffey is the token male on keyboards. The girls are all different clichéd types: Phillips is the simpleton stoner with an over-abundance of brainless comments; Roberts is the slut girl supposedly; Alvarado is the tough girl that falls for geeky Coffey! Of course that would never happen in real life. Bateman's character isn't fleshed out enough for us to know how to identify with her. She comes off as street savvy, but then melts into Liam Neeson's arms. He plays the club owner where the girls stay for the summer, and he is far too old for someone of Bateman's ilk, as portrayed in this movie. I didn't really believe he was ever that interested in her. The subplot about the guy gang is ludicrous and serves no purpose. The 80's synthesizer bridging music is annoying at times. Deborah Harry, of Blondie fame, has a cameo as sort of an acquaintance of Neeson's. The film has a couple of funny moments, but is mostly forgettable. Watch it only if you have nothing better to do, like washing your big hair. * of 4 stars.

Great '80s Comedy!

Author: fechka-1 from Michigan
26 August 2005

So this is not one of the best movies from the '80s, but it made a big impact on me because of Julia Roberts. I thought she was so cool, and I copied a lot of my fashion styles after her character in the movie (big hair and all). Being a child of the '80s I've been slowly collecting many of the classic comedies, and this one has been on my list for a while. So when I discovered last month that it was finally coming out on DVD and at a great price, I pre-ordered my copy. It has some really good moments and good one-liners, like when Julia Roberts' character, Daryle is told by one of the preppy guys she's seeing "You're different from the other girls", she responds "I can work really hard to be the same", or when Daryle is explaining to Billy that getting married is a natural thing, Billy responds "Dying is natural too, but you don't see people rushing to do that". So if you want to take a trip back to the '80s or if you're a Julia Roberts fan, this movie is for you.

A bubblegum movie that makes bubblegum seem like a bad idea

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
5 August 2001

The rock-loving teens in this movie don't seem to know anything about making music. We get no information about their musical backgrounds, and their idea of jamming is to feign a version of "Iko Iko" while driving in their stolen van (I say 'feign' because the sound of their unison vocals is distinctly studio-enhanced). There's one guy in the otherwise all-girl band, and they make him sleep behind a sheet--out of modesty?--and yet the girls themselves are sexually active and think nothing of having sex in that van until the damn thing just about topples over. The movie wants to have it both ways: be a modern look at streetwise teens and yet also be an old-fashioned musical. Justine Bateman works hard in the leading role, but she seems to suffocate under the plastic handling; newcomer Julia Roberts shows off a nice sense of sarcastic humor, but the movie is an underachiever, with oldies-rock tunes given '80s makeovers that wouldn't pass muster on Star Search. ** from ****

entertaining rock fluff

Author: zimbo_the_donkey_boy from Calumet, Mich.
29 July 2003

You have to like rock music to enjoy this flick. Don't watch it expecting to gain deep understanding of the female psyche behind power pop bands. Ignore the trappings that Hollywood just had to add to the story. Bateman does a fine job. Phillips was ok. I found Roberts totally forgettable. It's too bad that this movie was considered a failure because it didn't catapult Bateman to (fellow Family Ties) Fox's level of fame. It's fine as what it is, a fun bit of rock fluff. And now I rewatch it every few years to relive my youth.

Not a good film by any stretch of the imagination

Author: Meredith-7 from Melbourne, Australia
26 May 1999

Not a good film by any stretch of the imagination. The storyline is a shocker and the acting is, at times, quite bad. However, seeing Julia Roberts and Liam Neeson in early roles before they were big stars makes it worthwhile. The one redeeming feature about this mess is the dog! He is so cute! But Justine Bateman is just awful, can't sing, can't act and can't talk properly. It's no wonder her big stardom has been confined to Family Ties.

Blech!

Author: alansmithee04 (alansmithee@gmx.com) from St. Cloud, Minnesota
24 April 2004

One thing I would like to do before I die is find out who it was that told Justine Bateman she could sing and slap that person into a coma.

If this stunningly mediocre attempt at a "teen comedy" didn't actually kill the subgenre it at least delivered it a mortal wound. It looks like it was filmed through a dung lens and sounds like it was written by a team of gently retarded clams. And what Hollywood studio cretin thought Liam Neeson and Justine Bateman would be a good romantic pair? I've seen more sparks coming from a thoroughly wet sparkler!

Lets see, in "Satisfaction" we've got the usual group of teen girl stereotypes with Julia Roberts in her first credited roll as Daryle, (the Loose Girl), Trini Alvarado as Mooch (the Tough Girl) and Britta Phillips as Billy (the Crazy Girl). Throw them into a retreaded plot from "Where The Boys Are" and set it all on the ugliest beach on either coast and you've got a good idea what this mess is like.

Or better yet, just hit yourself in the face with a cookie sheet for 92 minutes. Gah!

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]