IMDb > Return of the Living Dead II (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Return of the Living Dead: Part II

Return of the Living Dead II More at IMDbPro »Return of the Living Dead: Part II (original title)

Page 3 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

BRAINS....Part Deux.

Author: suspiria10 from The Void
23 January 2005

Once again military hi-jinx creates another zombie fiasco as this time around a bunch of neighborhood brats crack open one of the "sealed" containers containing that lovely green toxin and one slightly hungry brain-craving zombie. Meanwhile back at the cemetery two grave robbers (James Karen and Thom Matthews returning from the 1985 original albeit in new roles) at ground-zero for the buffet. Can the military rescue the survivors and contain the zombie menace…are you kidding?

This second installment is the weakest of the current three films (4 and 5 are on the way). At times it is a little too hokey and the makeup and effects aren't as good this time around. It was funny to see Karen and Matthews return again but they end up basically repeating their previous performances. The other actors serve their purpose but none shine or stand out.

Region 1 DVD Note: As has been stated on the net the Warner DVD has some serious issues with the music score. For whatever reason a new score was added to the English audio track (strangely the audio on the French dub track is the original score) and is really out of place. For most of the film the music wanders around not framing any of the on-screen action. Disappointing and pitiful.

In the end RotLD2 is enjoyable but pales in comparison to the original but is in no way a bad film, a little rushed or under developed but not bad.

A wonderful sequel to a great movie!

Author: jimmyplm from Chapel Hill, NC
25 January 2000

I really love this sequel. I was especially glad that Thom Matthews and James Karen made an appearance in this movie. The only thing that would have made this one better would be to have included Linnea Quigley in the fun again. This movie was full of laughs and gore. You HAVE to have a sense of humor and an appreciation of blood and gutts to enjoy this movie though. This is not for the squeamish or prudes. A++ :-)

'80s horror is the greatest thing ever

Author: Casey_Moriarty from Orange County, California
26 May 2008

I don't know what it is that makes the horror films of the 1980s so much fun. Maybe it's the fact that the sophistication of special effects in films probably peaked somewhere around here, before CGI came along in the 90s and took all the fun out of them. Maybe it's the fact that a little humor was necessary after all the brutal and nihilistic horror films of the '70s. Or maybe it's the over-the-top quality that pervaded everything produced in this decade. I don't know. But this movie is a blast. It reminds me more of a Warner Brothers cartoon than a George Romero-style zombie film; because it's a slapstick movie but unlike in other films of this kind from this time period, the humor doesn't come from extreme gross-out moments. It comes from the attention to details such as a zombie needing to put its glasses on when it rises from the grave; or from a zombie walking around with a jar of brains like it's a glass of beer. It comes from the pause between asking a zombie who the president is and his gruff, "Harry Truman?" I loved it. If you have any sense of giddiness when you are channel surfing and come across one of the '80s beloved horror comedies, you will too.

I liked it a lot

Author: brodiebruce from London England
12 January 2003

I enjopyed this tremendously. It was one of the first zombie films I saw, and first of the Return series. A mix of horror and comedy can so easily be done wrong so this time out, Director Weiderhorn decided to go all out on pure entertainment-almost a light-hearted comedy on the undead. Some jokes fall flat (severed hand giving the finger, probably lifted from Evil Dead 2) but the fun of the film will draw most in and bring back nostalgic memories of the 1980s. The opening credits have recieved a lot of crap as they don't set up the plot the same way the first Return's did. But I like the song (Julian Cope's Spacehopper) and it really caught my attention and got me in a silly mood. The song is probably this film's equivilant of the first's PartyTime sequence.

Some might call it lame, but they're just being too cynical. This is a good sequel in most respects and a lot of fun to watch. Like the first, it's dated in many respects but it's still a load of fun.

Awful, just awful

Author: ericphil from Provo, Utah
14 May 2001

I rented all three "Return of the Living Dead" movies and watched them the same night. The first one wasn't bad and the third one was excellent, but this film was just awful. It was a virtual remake of the first film and even used some of the same characters. It tried to be funny but didn't even come close. I had a hard time staying awake through this borefest and strongly encourage all to avoid this film. Watch the first and third instead.

another good zombie movie!

Author: steve layne
6 July 1999

this movie is more of a comedy than the first one was. the first half of the first movie is pretty much comedy,and the second half turns serious,with a few comic lines. the second one is never really serious. the whole movie is just comic horror. this time even the zombies are being silly. in the first one the zombies were not silly they were just plan deadly,but the first one is still better than the second one. but this movie has a lot of funny lines,and the zombies are fun to watch being silly. but most of the humor comes from the doc,and ed the grave robber. i give return of the living dead part II *** out

of ****

Waste of Time!

Author: jason-andrews-1 from United States
5 October 2005

I don't think I have seen a supposed 'horror' movie this cheesy in years, compared to the first 'Night of the Living Dead' I would have to say this movie must have cost under $25k to make....acting was horrible and annoying, effects were about as scary as my five year old's scream mask, and the overall movie was just a comedy show....its no wonder this was only $1.95 on my pay per view channel, wow! We cannot use the excuse that this is an 80's film as I have seen some awesome horror flicks from back then but this film must have been found in the garbage or something....don't waste your time or money on this.

Dawn of the Dead is still the best cult classic out there I think.

Brains! Brains!

Author: Big Movie Fan from England
10 November 2002

How could they ever top the truly ridiculous Return of the Living Dead? Easy, they did it with this even more ridiculous film.

Once again, military gas becomes airborne and it revives the living dead who are only interested in one thing-feasting on human brains. Fans of the original film will know what to expect-absolute stupidity.

Whilst the film is intentionally funny, there is also a bit of gore as well because the no. 1 food for zombies is human brain and we get to see them munch on brains a few times.

The zombies are ridiculous but the people being chased by them are even more ridiculous and the climax is just crazy.

A great film that was followed by the serious Return Of The Living Dead 3.

probably least favorite among the 'Return of' movies; not without some laughs and zombie thrills

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
16 July 2006

Return of the Living Dead Part 2 is too cheesy, self-referential, inane, and almost tries for so much (with more money and more locations/zombies) it falls flat on its face. There are some very good moments though underneath the very broad strokes from the script. The make-up and effects almost try to one-up the first film, even if that too sometimes lacks a certain demented sense of humor not tapped well. The simple story this time follows the same set of cannisters that let out the cork of the story, and once an 'egg hatches', as in the film film, it lets out a wrath via acid-rain and smoke that rises the dead and infects our heroes from the last film (played in performances not as hysterically spot-on as in the first entry by James Karen and Thom Matthews). This time there's also the heroic kid, a couple of screamingly hectic girls, and an odd-ball doctor (among the living that is). There's even a paper-thin sub-plot involving the boy and his soon zombified brother. And, in the end, it all leads to the power station where electricity now comes into play.

The soundtrack to the movie actually is one of the better parts of the movie (the original 80's soundtrack that is, not the new one on DVD)- some songs of course very dated, though still quite appropriate in their frozen 80s metal state of mind. There's also quite a good laugh hearing an unexpected Robert Palmer 'Doctor Doctor' song involving the soon-to-be-undead. And sometimes the little gags and puns thrown in, either through dialog of an obvious satirical jab (i.e. zombies stop everything that they do to watch a TV), do work enough to watch it from start to finish without having some good times. But there are downsides that do come with, almost, being too much like a goofy story than delivering genuine scares. The writer/director, Ken Wiederhorn, lacks the real skill of balancing more delirious and crazy moments that build on some laughs based on practically lampooning zombie movies, and doesn't have the same measured control as Dan O'Bannon did with Part 1. Little gags like driving zombies don't work as well as just simple insane looks from the actors- which for the most part is just average and banal (aside from the odd doctor who is just, well, odd).

I wouldn't rush to see Return of the Living Dead part 2, unless you're really a zombie-movie fan, or have seen the other 2 (discounting the direct to video sequels), OR want a couple of dumb tongue-in-cheek references to Michael Jackson's Thriller video. Good enough as a very standard zombie movie, but with potential that goes to waste. C+

Not funny. Not scary. Not campy. Not good.

Author: bcantos616 from United States
22 May 2007

Caught this on HBO the other night. It's about some kids living in a quintessential suburban cul de sac blight that meet the slow witted slow moving zombie menace brought about by banned government tests. Let's just say it was really really hard to sit through the whole thing.

Okay, if you want to make a campy zombie movie go for it but at least be clever or funny. This is neither.

Okay, then what about scary? Nothing scary. These zombies couldn't catch a grandmother with a broken hip.

After the first ten minutes or so you'll be asking yourself, "What was the intent of the film makers? Not to scare me. Not to make me laugh. Not to put an effort into production values. Not to find capable actors. Not to make socio-political allegory. Not to... well you get the point. Stay away from this one.

Page 3 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]