IMDb > Return of the Living Dead II (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Return of the Living Dead: Part II

Return of the Living Dead II More at IMDbPro »Return of the Living Dead: Part II (original title)

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

'Return of the Living Dead Part II'

Author: rah604 from Canada
23 April 2004

In this sequel to 'The Return of the Living Dead', three neighborhood kids stumble upon one of those army drums and accidently release the gas that revives the dead. What follows is basically the same horror mayhem as its predecessor. Zombies rise from the graveyard and remarkably manage to eat the brains of everyone except for the few people within which the movie revolves around. The two movies are pretty much similar in terms of content, but what is lacking this time around is freshness.

The first movie took a satirical approach to George Romero's 'Night of the Living Dead', and it worked in terms of humor and creepy fun. In this film, which is basically a carbon copy of the first, it is not quite as much fun. Rather, it seems to be more silly than funny. The script strains for humor throughout the movie, particularly in a scene in which the movie mocks Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' video. But its flaws don't really matter because this is not the kind of movie to be taken seriously. I guess that it can be a decent movie to watch on a Halloween night.

Rating: (5/10)

Zombie massacre!

Author: insomniac_rod from Noctropolis
27 August 2006

I still remember how I got into this movie. The VHS cover was very cheesy but at the same time it was intriguing. I remember avoiding this one until it was the last VHS on my local video store Horror shelf. When I rented it in the early 90's, I wasn't a bit disappointed but I forgot about it pretty soon.

Years after, I watched it on DVD and the memories are still fresh! This movie isn't better than the original but still has it's own good moments. Thom Matthews reprises his lead role and delivers a great performance. The direction is pretty good for the movie's standards and I must admit that this is a visually stunning low budgeter.

The ending is among the best of any zombie flicks for it's unique cheesiness and non-stop action.

Watch this sequel only for fun purposes, do not watch it as a straight Horror movie because it might disappoint you.

Not much here, pretty stupid actually...

Author: ehosh2494 ( from Michigan
9 April 2002

...I hate to say it, but this movie is nothing compared to the original, seriously. Thom Mathews and James Karen are back, playing different roles of course, as grave robbers, and there are also a bunch of young middle school kids, a teenage girl and another guy fleeing in terror from more brain-munching zombies, resurrected from their peaceful slumber yet again by the weird chemical from the original. This is missing the great punk/rock/metal soundtrack, humor, punk rock characters, and gore from the original, so basically it falls flat and never goes anywhere. I was getting really bored. If you want a rehash, this is your dish I guess, but otherwise this movie flat out blows. Watch the first one again.

More of a comedy this time around.

Author: Aaron1375
25 March 2003

This was an ok sequel to the original. Though I liked the first one much better. This time around one of those drums from the first one falls off a truck and these kids open it, once again awakening the living dead. This time around though, it is definitely more of a comedy than a horror. The first one had quite a bit of comedy in it, but in the end I would say it was more horror...this one has very little horror in it. A kid, his sister, and I think a TV or cable repairman must try to escape the living dead. There is also an old guy who was a doctor. There are also two grave robbers who are the exact two guys who released the chemicals in the first one and a girlfriend of the younger guy. Once again the zombies are seemingly indestructible, but this time a weakness is found in the form of electricity. So the conclusion to this one occurs at an electrical plant. The kid must face down the bully who released the chemical too. Would have been a better movie if it was more horror oriented, but it is still worth a look. The slimey zombie from the first one also makes a brief appearance.

munch,munch...mmmm human brains!!

Author: gpolice_97
14 March 2002

This film is Awesome!!! the zombies are creepy, and the film maintains that "night of the living dead" feel to it....not too campy, just right....and the electrocuted zombies is a classic scene!!!

I Really enjoy this film, this gorefest seems to hold its own with horror fans, and although it has a (part 2) attached, isnt really a sequel per se, its more of another telling of zombies attacking people!

this film is horror at its best! its campy, its fun, its Zombie time!

Was this rated G?

Author: xenophonnelson from Los Angelas, Cal
25 December 2004

What was the point of the movie titled return of the living dead part 2? It doesn't really make sense that there would still be any barrels of that toxic stuff after the huge bomb in the first movie wiped everything out. Why did the people even bother trying to live when they realize that the ghoulish things don't even respond to anything but aerobic videos and 80s music. It was really embarrassing to see the thriller Michael Jackson semi-cameo thing at the end. Who's lame idea was it to have electricity stop the wandering wormbags, wow, what a terribly finish to a ,well, awful try at impressing the kids. Six year old's can't get into R-rated movies. Please don't rent this and ruin your night.

An inferior sequel, but still a lot of fun

Author: sgtking from United States
15 February 2010

Horror and Comedy have been blended together in so many films, especially in the 1980 and 90s. Sam Raimi did it with his 'Evil Dead' films and Peter Jackson, who has achieved blockbuster success in recent years, with his earlier work. This is really tricky though because if the balance between the two is off then it could fail in one or more areas. One example of this is 'House II: The Second Story,' which lacks that balance and the silly humor takes over. Had this been the case with 1985s 'The Return of the Living Dead' it probably wouldn't have turned out as well as it did, but thankfully it ended up being a genre classic. Can the same be said for this first of four sequels?

Pros: Cast does a good job. A decent score and pretty cool soundtrack. Fast-paced. Excellent special and make-up effects. Some of the humor works. Like the first film, you get the feeling this was a labor of love. Writer/director Widerhorn adds some stylish touches and neat ideas. Has a fair share of camp value.

Cons: Some of the humor is just too silly and falls flat. Lacks the inventiveness of the original. The first one has humor too, but still managed to have some good chills, something sorely missing here. Even less plot this time.

Final thoughts: The first 'Return of the Living Dead' was a tough act to follow and though the makers of this first sequel tried hard, they didn't even equal it. Does that mean it's not worth a shot? No way because there's still a lot of good here and the movie is fun to watch. It's also the only sequel to the original that comes close to capturing it's essence.

My rating: 3.5/5

Funny Zombie Cult Movie

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
14 January 2015

While transporting drums of the dangerous Trioxin gas, one of them falls from the army truck into a river. In the morning, the boy Jesse Wilson (Michael Kenworthy) is bullied by the older Billy (Thor Van Lingen) and Johnny (Jason Hogan) and he hides himself under a bridge nearby the cemetery. The two bullies find Jesse and they see the barrel. Then the bullies lock Jesse in a mausoleum and they decide to open the barrel, releasing the Trioxin and breathing the toxic gas. Meanwhile the grave robber Ed (James Karen) hires Joey (Thom Mathews) to help him to pillage the graves and they go to the cemetery in a van with Joey's girlfriend Brenda (Suzanne Snyder). Ed and Joey go to the mausoleum and Jesse is released and runs home. His sister Lucy Wilson (Marsha Dietlein) tells him to do the homework. Then the cable guy Tom Essex (Dana Ashbrook) arrives to fix the television and he recognizes Lucy from the high- school. Soon the Trioxin awakes the dead in the cemetery and the town is crowded with hordes of zombies. Ed, Joey and Brenda run to Jesse's house and team up with Lucy and Tom trying to survive to the brain eaters.

"Return of the Living Dead: Part II" is a funny zombie cult movie. This sequel is a comedy with action, with good special effects and creepy zombies. There are the usual stupid attitudes from the characters but it is highly entertaining. My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): "A Volta dos Mortos Vivos - Parte 2" ("The Return of the Living Dead: Part II")

Army intelligence

Author: Catleo_99 from Australia
31 January 2002

A careless Army officer whilst driving his cargo to a new location, (unknown to him) accidentally looses one of his canisters. A few days later a few children stumble across it. They open it unleashing a mysterious fog, which engulfs the nearby cemetery. This action revives the dead creating Zombies. Naturally they go for a walk searching for their favourite snack, Brains.

A fantastic B-grade film, with all the charm and grace of a true black Comedy. Humorous in the sickest of ways. And at least the army didn't react in the same way as they did in the first. I love this film (though not to the extent of Re-animator). Deserves a 8/10.

Run ! Here Comes The Sequel !

Author: aesgaard41 from United States
31 March 2001

Did we really need a sequel ? We have nearly the same plot, some of the same actors, definitely some of the same lines and practically the same actors. Yet, right when Thom Matthews was about to be type-cast in horror movies, he said, "Sure, I'll do it." Later, you know he screaming, " They drove up to my house and dumped a truck load of money on my front porch......" I mean, what are the odds that two idiots who look exactly alike will befall the same fate ? Admittedly, Thom and James Karen could make a very funny comedy team, but not in the same roles saying the same things like some asinine Martin and Lewis series. That said, this movie is a lot funnier than the first. Phillip Bruns replaces Don Calfa and has some very funny lines. A sub-plot involves juvenile delinquency and acceptance as the zombies horse around, steal the scenes and get in the way. One in particular in a dark suit and a few others just keep returning in other scenes as if that wasn't really obvious. I guess there was a shortage in extras. Mitch Pileggi of the X-Files has a very obvious role and I'm sure I recognized the zombie on the hospital phone as from an old episode of the original Twilight Zone. If I had written the script, I would have tossed in a vampire to spar with the zombies because he sure would have been immune to that bite of their's.

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]