IMDb > They Call Me Renegade (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Renegade

They Call Me Renegade More at IMDbPro »Renegade (original title)

Character: 'Chickadee"

Author: ishotuat from United States
10 January 2005

Not only did I see it, I acted in it too. I was the character called "Bad Biker Chickadee", the biker gang leader.( the one leading the pack, on my Trike ) Terence was a real sport to act with. During the shoot of our fight scene, I was told by the 'fight' coach, to go easy on him, due to the fact, that it was 118' out, and we were all sweating like pigs. As we went thru several takes of the fight scene, Terence took me to task, and said to me." Look....I won't break, and you won't hurt me........heck, I'm insured by Loydds of London" We finished the take, the rest is history. Good cast of extras too.If your a Trinity fan, you'll love this one.

Joe Krieg......Phoenix, Az.

A fun low key movie with good laughs

Author: A. Squadrilli from Virginia, USA
30 September 2003

Fans of Terence Hill are going to get what they expect from this movie. It has that same great humor Hill is known for. This features Terence Hill & his son Ross Hill in a road adventure of chases, fights, & of course, always lending a hand to the needy. Hills movies are always light-hearted, They do have a consistent theme to them but the formula is always a pleasure to watch. If you can find this one, give it a try.

Low-budget Ulysses

Author: sba71
21 August 2001

Terence Hill is good in this "Spaghetti" version of the road trip film. Like John Ritter or Gene Wilder, he can make everyday physical gestures -- a roll of the shoulders, for instance -- very funny. Couple that with the ability to pull off stunts and believable fight scenes and you have a mellow -- and enjoyable -- alternative to Jackie Chan. The story, however, is a bit dumb; but this shouldn't surprise or disappoint anyone who appreciates Terence Hill and his movies, where slapstick and gags ALWAYS come before plot....

Thank goodness!

One of my favorite movies...

Author: MarKus-371 from Nova Scotia
3 February 2001

This is my personal favorite of Terence Hill's solo movies. I know "MY NAME IS NOBODY" is first rate movie making, and it's probably the best movie i've ever seen, but's its not my favorite. "THEY CALL ME RENEGADE" is about Luke Mantie (played by Terence Hill) who is a loner, who just lives on the road, driving his jeep with a trailer attached that his horse, Joe Brown, resides. One day, a 15 year old punk named Matt, played by Terence Hill's son, Ross, tells him that his father, Moose, is in jail and he need to speak to "Renegade" Luke. Luke and Matt drive to the pennitentary and Luke finds out that Moose is in Jail for a crime he didnt commit, and Moose needs Luke to settle down and move in to a house on a big piece of property and become Matt's legal guardian. Luke says NO, so Moose threatens to get his cell mate to forge the papers...child abandonment is a serious offence. Luke and Matt don't get along at first but they start to develop a brother type relationship. They both get in a few ordeals with 2 truckers, screw a whole bar full of drunks out of 500 dollars with a butterfly knife throwing contest and they have to get revenge from an evil Lawyer with the help of a rough Biker Gang. This movie is full of action & comedy, its a classic to me because i've been watching it for years. Where they screw the money out of the drunks is hillarious and the fight between Terence Hill and the lead biker is a grand scene. I recomend this movie to ALL fans of Terence Hill and Bud Spencer movies, action movie goers, or people who are looking for a good "road/buddy" movie. I have seen it for sale in places like WALMART and ZELLERZ for $5, it's definatley worth that much! Rent it, buy it, just see it, you may like it as much as I do!

Awesome Terence Hill movie

Author: dodo_fleet
23 September 2005

Never having seen the previous Spencer and Hill movies, I am unaware of the duo's insignificance here, but I must say that for a low budget movie, this is one great action-packed comedy adventure, lead by Hill (and his son) alone, with Robert Vaughn filling a minor role.

It can be slow in parts, yet is still enjoyable 99% of the way through. Terence Hill plays "Renegade" Luke who unwantingly looks after the son of a good friend, Moose, who is in prison. Moose wants his son Matt to tag along with Luke and his horse "Joe Brown" encouraging the two of them to settle down in a place called Green Haven Valley. At first Luke is reluctant but soon realises Matt isn't such a bad kid.

Along the way there are some decent car chase scenes and trucker action, however when the two reach Green Haven Valley, there comes a completely irrelevant subplot. It turns out that Luke and Matt have Pagan neighbours, and the character development of Ely and his daughters is almost unnecessary, as the movie loses its exciting pace. However, they do play a minor role later in the storyline and if you hang in there long enough, there comes some more slapstick car chases and action between Luke and a previous enemy.

It's sad to read that Terence Hill's adopted son, Ross, was killed in a car accident in 1991. So this was his first, and last, big screen appearance.

Despite being low budget, this movie is very enjoyable and worth watching if you can get your hands on a copy!

Great music

Author: abergas from Switzerland
10 July 2001

Terence is Luke Mantie, a drugstore cowboy whose only belongings are a pair of boots and a horse called "Joe Brown". His friend Moose - who's in in prison at that time - asks Luke to take care of his son Matt (Ross Hill) and his piece of land and house (which he won in a poker-game).

Luke Mantie is a smart guy, who sells his horse in every little town. Smart horse he is, "Joe Brown" comes trotting back to Luke every time. Matt and Luke make their way through Arizona.

A crazy trucker keeps on their track, a helicopter chases them, even the sheriff doesn't want to help. A gang of real-estate-sharks tries to lure their house and land away from them ....The chaos comes to a peak....until a bunch of "hell's angels" comes to their rescue...

Observations & Potential Recommendation Or Not

Author: rndhyd from San Jose, CA
18 January 2015

Watch or pass?

(Brief & to the point, sometimes not grammatically correct)

Assuming synopsis was read --explains little -- so I won't

Not a typical Terence Hill film:

- Obviously not a Western -- hardly made by Italian studios post-1970s

- A little different without his pal actor, Bud Spencer.

- If you're not familiar w/their work, peculiar that you're here.

- Regardless, you might like their movies.

- Filmed in US, as since mid 1970s, prior to mostly Italy & Spain.

Not action-packed, & kinda slow, but does have a few fights (not in his regular style), & some vehicular things.

More plot/story in this, compared to his other flicks, albeit slight.

Audio can be off, as all his films, in any language. As far as I understand, all voices for any market were dubbed. Even though he's Italian & born there, his main language (maybe only) is German; he might not speak Italian (unsure).

In most of his films, actors spoke their native language & most were dubbed later, even for those whom spoke the language. For example, his last Western movie (or penultimate or close), "...Nobody" had Henry Fonda as the 2nd main character.

Cannot say yeah or nay to watch -- depends upon your interests. Hopefully, I provided info for you to decide.

How many will read this? 1-2 per year? Hahaha

Terence Hill vehicle , this time accompanied by his son Ross Hill , both of whom facing villain Robert Vaughn

Author: ma-cortes from Santander Spain
4 June 2014

Funny and agreeable Terence Hill film with action , humor , mirth and amusement . Renegade Luke is a small-time con who has been living an easy life by means of scams , frauds , swindles , so far . All this comes to an end when he finds Moose (Norman Bowler) , an ex-colleague , now in prison . Imprisoned convict Moose does Luke a surprising offer : move into his ownership and become the protector of his son (real son Ross Hill) . Meanwhile , Luke befriends Matt and both of them help components of a Quaker family and take on the nasty Lawson (Robert Vaughn). Along the way , our intimate duo is helped by a band of riders who drive spectacular Harley Davison motorcycles . With a renegade on your side , the other guys got problems ¡ .

This is an enjoyable entertaining juvenile for Terence Hill buffs , as he's delightful . It packs action , fist-play , slapdash , humor with tongue-and-cheek and is quite amusing . This entertaining , engaging movie is crammed of fist-fights , punches , car chases , kicks, slapstick , overwhelming stunt-work and lots of humor . Charming relationship between Renegade Jim and Matt , things don't go smoothly for the swindler and the teen at first , but gradually they come to settle into their new situation . Terence Hill is top-notch as a con taking on a group of bandits and as always he makes his own stunts with comic touches , as usual . This release has some cool and several hilarious moments , though the Terence Hill-Bud Spencer duo films are much better . The film isn't always good , sometimes is fresh and diverting and on a couple of memorable occasions , it's frankly delicious . The movie displays innumerable laughters , jokes and slapdash . Sympathetic acting by Terence Hill as a drifter travelling through the southwest with his horse Joe , making money by running little scams . Terence Hill is a likable player with a long career . In 1962 he appeared in Luchino Visconti's The Gatopardo . He then signed a contract for a series of adventure and western films in Germany in ¨Winnetou¨ saga and ¨The Nibelungen¨. In 1967 he returned to Italy to play the lead in ¨God forgives (1967) , the first of a trilogy co-starred by his pal Bud Spencer and directed by Giuseppe Colizzi . In 1976 Hollywood called and he appeared in ¨March or die¨(1977) with Gene Hackman and starred in ¨Mr Billion¨ (1977) with Valerie Perrine . Since then he has concentrated on action/adventure films starring himself and often working with long time partner Bud Spencer . Terence lives in Massachusetts and is a film producer, as well as talented and respected actor . While on location in Almeria, Spain, he married an American girl of Bavarian descent, Lori Zwicklbauer, who was the dialogue coach for the picture . Adopted son of Terence Hill and Lori Hill was Ross Hill who was born on April 11, 1973 in Munich, Germany . He was a young actor , known for ¨Renegado Jim¨ (1987) and ¨Don Camilo¨ (1984). He died on January 15, 1990 in Stockbridge, Massachusetts, USA . Was supposed to play "Billy the Kid" side by side with Terence Hill as "Lucky Luke", but died by accident shortly before production began .

The picture packs commercial musical score by Mauro Paoluzzi , including catching songs fitting perfectly in the mood of the movie . Passable cinematography by Alfio Contini , though is necessary a perfect remastering , being shot in Flagstaff, Phoenix , Sedona, Arizona, USA . The motion picture was regularly directed by Enzo Barboni or E. B. Clucher. He was a notorious cameramen including classic Spaghetti Western (Django , Goobye Texas , Hellbenders), but with the hit of ¨Trinity is my name¨ left it and turned to film-making, and directed the following ¨Trinity is still my name¨ and the third outing ¨Trinity and Bambino, the legend lives on¨, plus others Hill and Spencer vehicles . The story was middling written by the same Terence Hill and Sergio Donati , Sergio Leone's ordinary screenwriter ; following the Hill-Spencer customary trademarks . If you love the Terence Hill's other movies, go for it, and if you've never seen one this is an acceptable start ; but only for Terence fans . Rating : Acceptable and amusing . This is an average entertaining juvenile that will appeal to Hill fans .

One of the best Terence Hill's films ever

Author: eugy-2 from Italy
11 January 2006

The movie is a nice tale of simplicity, action, and good feelings. The narration is well supported by the main theme of the soundtrack: "Simple Man" by Lynyrd Skynyrd, a song which lyrics perfectly fit the story. Every actor do his job at very good level, interpreting his role in a very remarkable way, and direction is excellent. Some scenes are at Oscar level, like the one when bikers approached the final meeting between Luke and Lawson. A special notice about Ross Hill acting: unfortunately the adopted son of Terence has died in a road accident. I'm pretty sure that this guy could had became the natural heir of Terence Hill, due to his expressiveness and his capacities.