IMDb > Rambo III (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Rambo III

Rambo III More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 18: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Great for what it is

Author: maccar from USA
9 April 2003

(WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD)This movie is an action film. Trying to look at it as anything else will most certainly bring the viewer a great disappointment, but it shouldn't be viewed as anything else. True, it does not contain the same moral messages as First Blood or First Blood part II, but the sheer ferocity of the violence and Rambo's character more than make up for it. Stallone is in, arguably, the best physical shape of his life in this film and the wonderfully choreographed stick fighting scene in the beginning more than shows off his ridiculous physique. Rambo is bigger (including his knife which, designed by Gil Hibben, beats out the Part II blade by two inches), stronger, and more determined than ever, sealing the character's place as a hero icon.

The true essence of a hero is one that faces incredible odds and fights bravely for the right reasons. Rambo is there to save his friend, pure and simple. He does, in a way, adopt the cause of the Afghans who aid him. And all Afghans are not evil terrorists, some are just people who WERE subject to extreme brutality during the attempted Soviet invasion. The story may seem comical now, but in the midst of the Cold War, it made audiences cheer.

Many of the action scenes are a bit over the top and there are the classic action downfalls of the "never-ending-clip" and Rambo never seems to miss a shot whereas the Soviets can't hit anything accept Afghanis and prisoners. Rambo is injured however by a piece of debris sent flying by a grenade blast and has to performed some self-surgery echoing back to the arm-stitching of First Blood.

Also, this movie lets us see Rambo working with people that aren't soldiers of his caliber. Musa and the boy are loyal fighters, but not trained soldiers, and Rambo's first rescue attempt is botched because of this, whereas in the second film, he was rescued by his Vietnamese aid, Co. The film rounds off the series well and should be considered a darn good action movie.

A Great Beginning!!!!!!!!

Author: (rexyk31@hotmail.com)
28 November 2000

Rambo III probably has one of the best action packed beginnings out of many films that I have seen. When Rambo steps out of the boat and into the warehouse then tension and anticipation begins to build in the viewer of the film. I loved the part when Rambo smacks his sticks on the ground to begin the fight! From that point on until the fight is over the action is awesome. I also like how the character of John Rambo is true to form with him not killing the man he fights and then handing over the money he won to the Buddhists. What a great beginning to a film! I have watched it over and over again. The rest of the film is good but unfortunately does not follow suit with the beginning. Still a descent movie overall but it could have been better but I won't get into that. Anyways rent, buy, or just watch the film for the opening fight scene. It ranks a 10 out of 10 for fight scenes in a movie in my opinion!!!!!!! Way to go Rambo!!!!!!!

Rambo III

Author: starwarskid1992 from United States
29 May 2009

Ahhh, Rambo, the most popular action hero of the 80's is back with a vengeance in the most underrated film in the franchise.

After the events of Rambo: First Blood Part II, Rambo relocates to Thailand living a peaceful life in a monastery. Col. Sam Trautman (Richard Crena, playing the character for the final time) offers Rambo a mission in Afganistan to help freedom fighters battle the Russians. Rambo declines and Trautman goes it alone. He is captured by the Russians, and Rambo goes to rescue his only friend.

I mean it when I say it's the most underrated entry in the Rambo series, Rambo does help the Taliban, but we were friends at that time. But, besides that, the action is wall to wall in this one. And the final battle, tank vs. helicopter was cool. I think it's safe to say, Rambo III is my favorite of the franchise. Thank you Mr. Stallone.

5 explosive arrows out of 5

too much philosophizing and preaching for the first 60 minutes

Author: disdressed12 from Canada
14 June 2008

i was disappointed in this installment of the Rambo series.i found it slow going for the first hour,plus it was too philosophical and preachy for my tastes.however,the last 40 minutes are pretty much wall to wall action.realism gets thrown out the window,though.i mean how much can one guy do,especially given the amount of pain inflicted on him,and the overwhelming odds against him.the only thing missing from this movie was Rambo's red cape.still,it'll definitely get your adrenaline pumping,if you can get through the first hour.but even the action doesn't raise it to the standard of the previous two movies.for me,Rambo III is a 6/10

Rambo!!! Great Action, Great Fun

Author: dv909 from NY, NY
9 January 2007

Great comic book action. I've been on a Stallone kick since watching "Rocky Balboa" and I just finished re-watching the Rambo trilogy, which I have not viewed since the '80s! All three films hold up very well in my opinion. Definitely a lot of goofy dialogue, but all of that seemed to enhance my enjoyment. And they just don't make action movies like they used to. To my surprise, I found Rambo III to be more entertaining than the previous two. Plain and simple, the action is bigger and better. Not to mention totally unbelievable, but that just added to the fun. It was like a first person shooter game but all I had to do was sit back and enjoy.

The irony inherent in this film considering today's world is thick. I feel like they should add a title at the beginning stating the year the story takes place because as we all know, everything has flipped completely upside down. It undoubtedly dates the film but does not lessen the quality. If you enjoy action movies, Rambo III is a classic. And wow! Did his knife mutate in this one or what? It was practically a mini sword.

Finally, just to comment on a previous poster's comment, not all Afghans (and Iraqis for that matter) are our enemy.

Best of the Three No Matter What Others Say

Author: gavin6942 from United States
19 February 2006

First of all, there cannot really be a "Rambo III" since there was not a Rambo I and II... the movies were called "First Blood" and "First Blood Part II"... but that is really beside the point.

This film is more of the same, and I would rank it my favorite of the three. The action actually gets too intense later on in the movie, but overall I found the plot to be better and the scenes to have been shot better. It was a more enjoyable viewing experience. On a personal note, the fact they moved from Vietnam to Afghanistan really made a difference for me. Vietnam movies are alright but do not really "connect" with me. Movies about the mujihadeen in Afghanistan are a little more relevant to my life...

The movie also had Richard Crenna as Colonel Trautman for the third (and final) time. His inclusion really made the difference - again. Russian: "Who do you think this man is? God?" Trautman: "No, God would have mercy." Recommended, especially if you want to see Osama bin Laden's friends starring in a movie. Bring on Rambo IV!

Best Movie Ever

Author: alexhocking from United States
4 March 2005

not many people agree with me on this but you gotta admit, Rambo is awesome, i mean who can get shot take gun powder and seal the wound up with fire..... no one Thats right. OK if you watch Rambo III Expecting To Get a plot. you were obviously disappointed. this move does not have a plot and it doesn't need one because the reason it was made was to blow crap up! this movie one of the greatest movies of all time (Not Really but still cool). if you want a movie with a plot don't see this movie. if you want to see a movie with Stallone constantly changing between weapons without doing anything that could possibly be considered changing a weapon this is your movie.

The best in the trilogy

Author: Ron Broadfoot from Canada
29 December 2003

I didn't care much for First Blood because it portrayed police officers as cold-hearted and abusive human beings (there have been enough films in which the police were portrayed that way). Part II was OK, but there were a lot of movies being released in 1984-85 about American soldiers going back into Vietnam to rescue imprisoned POWs. Rambo III is totally different. It's a typical 80s action movie with lots of explosions, hilarious dialogue (mostly from Stallone), stereotyped Russian bad guys and a high body count.

Marc DeJonge makes for a good villain. I wonder whatever happened to him? Also, most of the Russian soldiers were played by American and Israeli soldiers who learned Russian to star in the movie.

How times have changed. Back in 1988, the Soviets were still in Afghanistan and the U.S. was helping the Mujahideen to drive them out. Then Osama ben Laden and Al Qaeda came along, and soon Afghanistan became an enemy of the U.S. because of the Taliban's refusal to hand ben Laden over. After September 11, the U.S. invaded Afghanistan to catch ben Laden and drive out the Taliban. That was accomplished, but ben Laden and his cronies are still at large.

Although Afghanistan has a new government and is hoping to achieve democracy someday, that might take a long time to accomplish. But like the movie, Afghanistan now needs the United States's help more than ever, but this time...it's for rebuilding the country.

Rambo III!

Author: Movie Nuttball from U.S.A.
21 April 2003

The second sequel to Rambo is really a good film.Stallone and Richard Crenna were good again!Rambo III it seems has more action than Rambo: First Blood Part II!The villain is really bad and Rambo has a hard to with him.The film is funny at times.If like like First Blood and Rambo II then check out Rambo III!

The Best Movie of All Time

Author: (-110)
2 December 1999

Stallone is the best actor for this part. No other action movie can stand next to this one. Good story line also. I think that it is terribly underrated. You could watch it a lot and still not get board of it. It is the first Rambo movie that I saw. The other ones are good but do not compare to this one. Stallone brings the action to this movie. No one could have played it better. Out of 10 this one would deserve a 10. And it leaves out the romantic scenes that were in the 2nd one. It is truly a masterpiece.